Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in my 2018 Advance for a 2022 Advance. Part of the normal process is for me to add some minor accessories like splash guards, door edge film, wheel locks, tow hitch...and this is where I am running into a problem the wire harness for towing. We only usually tow our golf cart (well under the 3000-lb limit) so I only really need to extend the brake light controls to the trailer.

I have searched online and found the harness is a 7-pin (image below), but there are no pictures or diagrams to see if it also has the 4-pin connector (like they have at Uhaul). The kicker, the harness alone is over $200, un-installed. I have the class III hitch (ball, pin, etc.) and am installing it myself. I don't install the cover because I live in South Florida and need to inspect it for rust from time to time. Now, I am a bit stuck on the harness issue.

Question(s): Does anyone here have the tow package? If so, did you do dealer install or DIY? If DIY, did you get the harness from the dealer?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have read that the Hands free access sensor for Advance is located around there and might need some parts to move as well.

I’m also trying to make this decison before taking delivery of my new ‘22 MDX Advance.
My usecase is mainly to attach a bike rack.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The hands free sensor is moved about six inches to the right upon the installation of the hitch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Acura indicates in the owners manual that anything over 1,000 lbs needs trailer brakes. Also, you are pushing the limit of 3,500 lbs which also includes passenger weight and gear. A transmission cooler is needed to increase that to 5,000 lbs.

I am having the dealer install all of it, 5,000 lb set up. I want it done right and under warranty, yes it is more expensive but when the front and rear bumpers need to be removed for hands free sensor and transmission cooler, it is worth it to me and a minimal expense in comparison to what an Advance costs. See links below.

good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have read that the Hands free access sensor for Advance is located around there and might need some parts to move as well.

I’m also trying to make this decison before taking delivery of my new ‘22 MDX Advance.
You are rig

I think you are right! I followed the handsfree sensor wiring up and found it under the trunk sill/latch covering. The grommet to pop out is there too.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Acura indicates in the owners manual that anything over 1,000 lbs needs trailer brakes. Also, you are pushing the limit of 3,500 lbs which also includes passenger weight and gear. A transmission cooler is needed to increase that to 5,000 lbs.

I am having the dealer install all of it, 5,000 lb set up. I want it done right and under warranty, yes it is more expensive but when the front and rear bumpers need to be removed for hands free sensor and transmission cooler, it is worth it to me and a minimal expense in comparison to what an Advance costs. See links below.

good luck!
The links were SUPER helpful. I now believe the dealer install is the way to go given all the parts that need to be removed. It would take me way too much time to do it myself. This is like getting your house painted, somethings are just worth hiring someone else to do. Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts