Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
The brake pedal on my 2022 MDX Advance seems to be real soft (spongy) as I first step on the brake pedal, it doesn't seem responsive.. If I remove my foot a bit and quickley press the pedal a 2nd time the pedal firms up and is much more responsive. Dealer says it's designed this way. ?? Does anyone else experience this problem?
I have 2022 MDX too and I went to the dealer today just to make sure the brakes were ok. They did a test drive, checked the fluid lines, etc. and everything was fine, as intended. They told me about the soft pedal/brakes and that it is completed normal... nothing they can do about it. My wife and I got used to it, but I just wanted to make sure brakes system was normal in my vehicle.

· Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2023 MDX (SH-AWD Tech), and I too have a spongy brake pedal... So I checked the brake fluid and noticed brake fluid on the outside of the brake fluid reservoir. Hopefully, it's not a leak but it was spilled when in production. I cleaned it and will check after I drive it around...

· Registered
13 Posts
The brake pedal on my 2022 MDX Advance seems to be real soft (spongy) as I first step on the brake pedal, it doesn't seem responsive.. If I remove my foot a bit and quickley press the pedal a 2nd time the pedal firms up and is much more responsive. Dealer says it's designed this way. ?? Does anyone else experience this problem?
Yes! AS you push harder on the brake it feels better but this is not a good bake pedal feel.

· Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2023 MDX (SH-AWD Tech), and I too have a spongy brake pedal... So I checked the brake fluid and noticed brake fluid on the outside of the brake fluid reservoir. Hopefully, it's not a leak but it was spilled when in production. I cleaned it and will check after I drive it around...
Same for me. I think they overfilled the brake reservoir at the factory. After I cleaned up the outside of the brake reservoir it stayed clean, but the pedal feels like the brake need to be bled.

· Registered
36 Posts
We have a 2022 A-Spec and I also find the brake pedal to be pretty soft but I have full confidence in the brakes as opposed to feeling like I'm going to press the pedal to the floor and nothing will happen.

I also noticed that if I'm slowly pressing the pedal, say as I'm coming up to a red light I find the breaks will sometimes grab a little harder for a sec and then go back to a weaker grip. It's annoying when I'm tyring to give my passengers a smoother ride and it jerks the SUV for a split second. We recently had an appointment where the breaks were checked as routine maintenance and they are fine. My wife who tends to break a bit later than I do doesn't report the problem. So the solution seems to be to break harder. :)

· Registered
489 Posts
We have a 2022 A-Spec and I also find the brake pedal to be pretty soft but I have full confidence in the brakes as opposed to feeling like I'm going to press the pedal to the floor and nothing will happen.

I also noticed that if I'm slowly pressing the pedal, say as I'm coming up to a red light I find the breaks will sometimes grab a little harder for a sec and then go back to a weaker grip. It's annoying when I'm tyring to give my passengers a smoother ride and it jerks the SUV for a split second. We recently had an appointment where the breaks were checked as routine maintenance and they are fine. My wife who tends to break a bit later than I do doesn't report the problem. So the solution seems to be to break harder. :)
BRAKES are what stops a car. If the Brakes don't work, then the car crashes into something and might Break in that case

(y)

· Registered
522 Posts

Ragmann99, in your description of the brake action, when you are approaching ared light, Is another in front of you? If so, then the car's Radar technology "may" have something to do with that. I do agree, that the Brake pedal is a bit overly soft. But I've become accustomed to it. Note that the Bembro Brakes on the Type S cars don't have this feeling according to this forum pots. I'm going to check out what Hogan posted about a Tablet form Honda that you add to the Brake Fluid? I never heard of same - Hogan are you BSing us???

· Registered
522 Posts
You need to open the brake fluid reservoir and drop in a small blue tablet (Honda P/N 00653-VGA-A22). Then exercise the brake pedal vigorously several times and within 30 mins you will notice the difference.
Oh, after reading some other comments Hogan.... very funny, a little Blue tablet !! You almost got me there :):). If you have an opportunity to watch YiouTube Shorts, they show occassional Shorts of some Beautiful women. Even an Almatti (prveiously defined elsewhere on this forum as a 70 Year old individual) like me doesn't need that little Blue Pill !! The Brakes get harder as you watch !!

· Registered
7 Posts
As I previously wrote... On my 2023 MDX (SH-AWD Tech) I too had a soft brake pedal. It has gone away after it was discovered the brake fluid reservoir was leaking due to overfilling at the factory. If the fluid leaks, the air (can) get in...

· Registered
2023 A-Spec / Had '06 Touring/Nav
388 Posts
I knocked on wood before replying to this thread but, once again, I seem fortunate not to have the issue. No spongy or soft brakes here. They also do not grab at the very top. While I could get used to nearly any profile, I don't particularly like a lot of grab at the very top of the pedal.

To be more specific, I tried to feel how far the pedal traveled for what level of result. I would say that after about 1" of pedal movement, there is meaningful braking. Approaching my neighbor at ~40-45 mph, I would say about 1"-1/12" of brake pedal travel is all that is required for a reasonably short distance before turning into the sub at maybe 25 mph.

Further, I would say the profile on the A-Spec is very similar to the last BMW I owned. I really like being able to gently ease into braking for a smooth transition. I also like the security of knowing that if you depress the brake pedal about 3", you better hang on. Conversely, I recently drove my wife's CRV and nearly threw us through the windshield the first couple of stops. Talk about grab! Too sensitive for my taste.

I find the '23 MDX to be a good balance for what the vehicle is. If anyone is moving the pedal several inches to slow or stop under normal driving conditions, something seems wrong. Maybe there is air in the lines. I would try having them bled.

· Registered
489 Posts
Oh, after reading some other comments Hogan.... very funny, a little Blue tablet !! You almost got me there :):). If you have an opportunity to watch YiouTube Shorts, they show occassional Shorts of some Beautiful women. Even an Almatti (prveiously defined elsewhere on this forum as a 70 Year old individual) like me doesn't need that little Blue Pill !! The Brakes get harder as you watch !!

· Registered
36 Posts
I knocked on wood before replying to this thread but, once again, I seem fortunate not to have the issue. No spongy or soft brakes here. They also do not grab at the very top. While I could get used to nearly any profile, I don't particularly like a lot of grab at the very top of the pedal.

To be more specific, I tried to feel how far the pedal traveled for what level of result. I would say that after about 1" of pedal movement, there is meaningful braking. Approaching my neighbor at ~40-45 mph, I would say about 1"-1/12" of brake pedal travel is all that is required for a reasonably short distance before turning into the sub at maybe 25 mph.

This is pretty much describes my experience. I have full confidence that if I press the pedal hard then they grab and we STOP. I guess because I don't drive it everyday it takes a few minutes to get used to it every time.

· Registered
36 Posts
Ragmann99, in your description of the brake action, when you are approaching ared light, Is another in front of you? If so, then the car's Radar technology "may" have something to do with that. I do agree, that the Brake pedal is a bit overly soft. But I've become accustomed to it. Note that the Bembro Brakes on the Type S cars don't have this feeling according to this forum pots. I'm going to check out what Hogan posted about a Tablet form Honda that you add to the Brake Fluid? I never heard of same - Hogan are you BSing us???
It seems to happen randomly and doesn't seem to matter if there's a car infront or not but you make a good point. I'll try to pay attention next time it happens.

· Registered
7 Posts
My 2023 going back to the dealership for the second time, for the same issue... leaking brake fluid from the reservoir... I did get Acura /Honda customer relations involved today. They get one more strike before I have it declared a lemon...

· Registered
489 Posts
My 2023 going back to the dealership for the second time, for the same issue... leaking brake fluid from the reservoir... I did get Acura /Honda customer relations involved today. They get one more strike before I have it declared a lemon...
You checked that the cap goes on and off and clicks into place etc?

If it's a cracked reservoir or something that is just "get me a new reservoir" not "I thus have declared thee a lemon"

If the reservoir was overfilled as you said, that wouldn't lead to getting air in the brake system.

· Registered
522 Posts
I guess I feel very Lucky. I got my 2022 MDX Advance in August 2021. After 16 months of driving it, I have had nothing wrong. It still brings a Smile to my Face when I get in each day to do my local Retiree chores :):). Just got "er serviced: New oil and filter change, rear Diff serviced with new oil (which the dealer was a bit presumptuous to cahnge with only 8K miles on it - they based it on a time factor), they wanted to install a new Air filter and Cabin Filters - that I can do my self. Already ordered the Cabin Filter on Amazon . The air filter - I'm still shopping for. With all things being equal (with today's world, that may be a broad statement), I intend to purchase this MDX at lease end in August 2024 for the stipulated price of $36.5K in the lease. It will only have probably 15-17K miles on it! And we will see what the used car market will look like in 8/2024.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts