Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Call Acura client relations. Don't settle for this nonsense. You shouldn't have to deal with it with any new car.

I'm still waiting to hear back from client relations. I'm going to call them early next week to follow up, and will update everyone here.
As I said earlier do not expect any help from client relations. They are trying to make this a Bridgestone issue. Even if it is Acura should be willing to make reparations for tires in some way since THEY chose to put them on a so called premium vehicle. I talked with customer relations also and they suggested I call Bridgestone. I questioned why Acura couldn’t at least call on my behalf and negotiate any settlement with them for me. Of course they said that was something they couldn’t do. How these tires got past any type of quality inspection is beyond me. I did negotiate a decent price for the new tires with the dealership and they did acknowledge the issue at first. But later when they followed up so they could receive obligatory glowing customer satisfaction survey, the service manager out right lied and said they test drove the vehicle with the old tires and found no issues.

Just be prepared for a high level of frustration if you want to press this further.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
For the sake of any future vehicle purchasers (of any make/model) - do a thorough test drive on the exact vehicle you're purchasing 'before' committing to it and signing the paperwork. I don't understand why anyone would buy any vehicle without doing this. Vehicles, even the cheapest ones, are a lot of money new. It's worth spending a half hour or so on a final acceptance test drive. If the dealer refuses to allow this then don't sign the papers and don't buy from them. I've never had a dealer refuse this. The issues people are posting in this thread likely could all have been detected on such a test drive.

A bad wheel bearing can be readily enough fixed but a tire that's designed such that it results in a noisy ride, and many are, isn't going to be able to be corrected under warranty since there's not really a failure - it's just an attribute. I wouldn't expect the dealer or especially Acura corporate or Bridgestone to be of any help in this. It's possible a dealer would do some tire swap just to maintain good relations but most probably wouldn't.

If you got stuck with the purchase and the problem by not doing the aforementioned test drive then chalk it up to a learning lesson and do what you can to mitigate it. If you think it's due to the tires then as soon as possible go to Discount Tire, possibly the dealer, or some other tire place and negotiate a swap for a tire you want. Do this before the tires wear too much. I already gave an example where I did this exact thing with BFG tires and was super impressed with Discount's willingness to give me full value on them in exchange for Michelins, which solved the noise issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For lol's...
When I bought/picked up the vehicle and the "Financial Services Mgr" tried to upsell me undercoating, etc., she said one benefit of it was reduced road noise.
So...I get home and am looking underneath just curious in general and it's covered in fresh undercoat. I get a phone call; they accidentally did it before I even showed up, in error, thinking it was another vehicle.
So if by chance her claim was correct, how loud the road noise must be WITHOUT undercoating.

Approached Svc Mgr carefully; he rebuffed it totally and bumped it straight to Sales. I told him I have sympathy for Sales and this is not a Sales issue; Salesman sold me exactly what Acura gave him to sell. Asked him if he wanted to come for a test drive with me; he declined. So, I said I'd start with the Sales Mgr, who was away all week. LP4242 suggests calling Acura Client Relations (if I can find such a contact); md2069 says that's fruitless in his experience. Argh...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hi, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing louder than expected road/tire noise at higher speeds? Starting around 55-60, begins a low bass like constant hum. I went back to dealer and service re-blanced front wheels and also rotated the fronts but this didnt make it any better.
I saw this youtube review that mentions noise towards the end of the review, but he didnt elaborate in more detail.
2022 Acura MDX Advance Review | An Enjoyable 3-Row SUV! - YouTube

Thanks
No, not at all.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Got my MDX back yesterday from the dealer. Both front wheel bearings replaced after technician replaced one; still heard noise and then replaced the other. He said he still noticed noise, but chalks it up to the crappy Bridgestone tires being rough on the edges. I told him I can live with regular road noise, but DEFINITELY not the bad wheel bearing noise.

Took the car to 65-70 range...then higher up to 80. NO MORE WHEEL BEARING NOISE!!!! Yes!!!! He said my MDX was the 3rd one that has had this problem.....in fact some of the other wheel bearings were really messed up from the git go per the technician.
Wow!! That's disappointing!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
For the sake of any future vehicle purchasers (of any make/model) - do a thorough test drive on the exact vehicle you're purchasing 'before' committing to it and signing the paperwork. I don't understand why anyone would buy any vehicle without doing this.
That comment made so much sense it had me scratching my head about myself, but I finally have the answer:

1. The 5 km of road up to my place has been recently paved (blacktop). The MDX is whisper quiet on that.
2. The 20 km of highway near my place is where I have a real problem with the road racket.
3. Part of that 4 lane highway has had one lane repaved in one direction. Alternately switching lanes on that side makes an enormous difference in road noise.
4. Went back to dealership for 3M, which is 20 km to the next town. That's when I realized the pavement within 5 km of that town is quite a bit smoother than the highway area I normally drive. So that's when I realized why I hadn't noticed this initially on test drive. Some who chime in "no problem" might have smooth road surfaces they typically travel.

Again, I'm on that highway frequently and road noise never occurred to me on my Grand Cherokee. Noticed it immediately with the MDX.

Michelin Primacy A/S tires are out of stock across North America, so that's not an option presently.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That comment made so much sense it had me scratching my head about myself, but I finally have the answer:

1. The 5 km of road up to my place has been recently paved (blacktop). The MDX is whisper quiet on that.
2. The 20 km of highway near my place is where I have a real problem with the road racket.
3. Part of that 4 lane highway has had one lane repaved in one direction. Alternately switching lanes on that side makes an enormous difference in road noise.
4. Went back to dealership for 3M, which is 20 km to the next town. That's when I realized the pavement within 5 km of that town is quite a bit smoother than the highway area I normally drive. So that's when I realized why I hadn't noticed this initially on test drive. Some who chime in "no problem" might have smooth road surfaces they typically travel.

Again, I'm on that highway frequently and road noise never occurred to me on my Grand Cherokee. Noticed it immediately with the MDX.

Michelin Primacy A/S tires are out of stock across North America, so that's not an option presently.
Yah, these Bridgestone Alenzas look nice, but they are really noisy on most surfaces! Oh well...use them until they need changing and back to Michelins I go!

·
Registered
40 Posts
As I said earlier do not expect any help from client relations. They are trying to make this a Bridgestone issue. Even if it is Acura should be willing to make reparations for tires in some way since THEY chose to put them on a so called premium vehicle. I talked with customer relations also and they suggested I call Bridgestone. I questioned why Acura couldn’t at least call on my behalf and negotiate any settlement with them for me. Of course they said that was something they couldn’t do. How these tires got past any type of quality inspection is beyond me. I did negotiate a decent price for the new tires with the dealership and they did acknowledge the issue at first. But later when they followed up so they could receive obligatory glowing customer satisfaction survey, the service manager out right lied and said they test drove the vehicle with the old tires and found no issues.

Just be prepared for a high level of frustration if you want to press this further.
Just wanted to report back and thank you and the folks in this thread. To summarize results:
  • No word from dealership or Acura client relations to this date, despite generating a case file and being told I'd receive a call.
  • Replaced all 4 tires with Primacy Tour A/S, as this seemed to be the most mentioned tire. Went to Discount Tire, where they road force balance all tires. I do not have any connection to Michelin or Discount Tire apart from being a consumer.
  • Problem solved. Steering wheel shake gone at all speeds. Have driven just over 1k miles on them, and no issues.
  • THANKS EVERYONE! Now if Acura would only fix my distorted HUD and stop telling me it's normal!

More info:
The steering wheel shake would affect the whole car. (EDIT: I mean the vibration causing the steering wheel shake could be felt throughout the car.) I could feel it with my legs through the side bolsters. Never noticed the gas pedal vibrating though.

My problem does not seem to involve the wheel bearings, thankfully, as other people have had problems with in this forum.

The original Alenzas were all out of spec. You could spin them while the car was lifted up and see things were not whatever the equivalent to "square, plumb, and true" is for tires.

Steering wheel shake would get better/worse at times, never completely going away. The change in intensity seemed to be correlated when there are gentle turns on the highway. Basically (and I may be totally wrong about this-- I'm no expert), I think the tires are independently messed up. Every once in a while, some of the tires might rotate more than the others (like when you turn). For example: imagine you put 5 extra weights on all your wheels, in the same location when the car is parked. Drive off, you'll feel things are messed up I'm sure. Turn a bit, or rotate a couple of the tires a bit more so the weights look out of sync, and I think it'll feel different.

Anyway, new tires are amazing. MUCH quieter at all speeds.
At this point, I'm done with Acura. They've got a lot to improve upon before I consider ever buying another car from them again.
Really, I never thought I'd be gaslit or even use the word for myself, but when there's a problem that's obvious even to them, and they tell you it's normal, and it's fixed by replacing the tires... messed up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For lol's...
When I bought/picked up the vehicle and the "Financial Services Mgr" tried to upsell me undercoating, etc., she said one benefit of it was reduced road noise.
So...I get home and am looking underneath just curious in general and it's covered in fresh undercoat. I get a phone call; they accidentally did it before I even showed up, in error, thinking it was another vehicle.
So if by chance her claim was correct, how loud the road noise must be WITHOUT undercoating.

Approached Svc Mgr carefully; he rebuffed it totally and bumped it straight to Sales. I told him I have sympathy for Sales and this is not a Sales issue; Salesman sold me exactly what Acura gave him to sell. Asked him if he wanted to come for a test drive with me; he declined. So, I said I'd start with the Sales Mgr, who was away all week. LP4242 suggests calling Acura Client Relations (if I can find such a contact); md2069 says that's fruitless in his experience. Argh...
Hah! They tried to sell me all their add-ons and I declined them all. Then I get some email saying congratulations, my freshly treated windshield is under warranty by whatever company's product they used. Worst part: whatever coating they did (supposed to be extremely hydrophobic) didn't do squat. It did worse: it made all water spread out-- the exact opposite of beading up! Dumbasses.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Just wanted to report back and thank you and the folks in this thread.
Thanks for reporting back - many posters of issues don't.

Did the place you bought the Michelins from give you something decent for the Bridgestones?

There are multiple anecdotes here of people unhappy with the ride of the Bridgestone Alenza tires. I don't understand why Acura apparently didn't do their homework before selecting these tires. On the 2014 MDX the only two manufacturers they used OEM were Michelin and Continental, both of which were pretty good according to posts (I had the Continental - replaced with Michelin once they wore out - but both are good).

I'm glad your issue is taken care of, now you can hopefully enjoy the vehicle without the nagging vibration and noise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for reporting back - many posters of issues don't.

Did the place you bought the Michelins from give you something decent for the Bridgestones?

There are multiple anecdotes here of people unhappy with the ride of the Bridgestone Alenza tires. I don't understand why Acura apparently didn't do their homework before selecting these tires. On the 2014 MDX the only two manufacturers they used OEM were Michelin and Continental, both of which were pretty good according to posts (I had the Continental - replaced with Michelin once they wore out - but both are good).

I'm glad your issue is taken care of, now you can hopefully enjoy the vehicle without the nagging vibration and noise.
I don't understand it, either.

I asked the tire place upfront about reimbursement for essentially new tires. They called Bridgestone, who wanted to talk with me: they'd like to examine the tires before making a determination for reimbursement. Supposed to call another number to give all my personal details. The tires were left at the tire shop.

I can't recall exactly what the rep said, but my impression is that they're trying to figure out if this is a manufacturing problem. Well, duh. If all 4 tires are defective, it seems like a 4-tire manufacturing problem at the very, very least!

Will update everyone when I've got something reportable.

How ridiculous is it that whenever I drive on the interstate I'm amazed at how smooth the car is? So sad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I went to Discount Tire to upgrade to Michelin's they gave me $300 trade-in value for the (basically new) Bridgestones. Trade-in allowance may be up to the individual store manager, but I have purchased several sets of Michelin's from this Discount Tire store and they treat me well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I went to Discount Tire to upgrade to Michelin's they gave me $300 trade-in value for the (basically new) Bridgestones. Trade-in allowance may be up to the individual store manager, but I have purchased several sets of Michelin's from this Discount Tire store and they treat me well.
I got no trade-in credit. Called Bridgestone and talked to a pretty rude lady in the technical department. She really didn't want to listen, kept interrupting me, and said all she could do is give me a case number to have the Discount Tire rep call in.

To the tire shop's huge credit, he did call back and talked with the same lady, and he also said (without me saying anything about how rude she was to me) that she was very rude to him, too. She said she can't do anything because I didn't get new Bridgestone tires. In the end the most she could offer was one Bridgestone tire to replace the 4 defective Alenzas.

They had no interest in examining the tires, so the shop just kept them for no reason.

So in the end, I got nothing for the defective tires except a survey, which I've filled out with the lowest scores possible, and the mindset that I'm never going to buy or recommend Bridgestone or Firestone products to anyone.

But I'm done with this particular saga, and am very pleased with the new tires!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
^^ Did you at least ask that Discount Tire if they'll give you anything for the Alenzas that were taken off? I thing DT can sell those tires to someone else that might not care about the vibration/noise issues you were concerned about - for example for a company work vehicle where they can get a good discount on them. Discount can share some of that with you. I don't think the tires are actually worthless. It might be worth a call to Discount to at least see what they're planning to do with the tires and to give you half price or something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
^^ Did you at least ask that Discount Tire if they'll give you anything for the Alenzas that were taken off? I thing DT can sell those tires to someone else that might not care about the vibration/noise issues you were concerned about - for example for a company work vehicle where they can get a good discount on them. Discount can share some of that with you. I don't think the tires are actually worthless. It might be worth a call to Discount to at least see what they're planning to do with the tires and to give you half price or something.
Yeah, nah, the tire folks didn't feel comfortable reselling the defective tires to someone. At this point, I'm done with it and glad!

·
Registered
2022 MDX SH-AWD Tech
1 Posts
I finally caved with only 800 miles. The road noise from the stock OEM tires is terrible on anything but smooth roads. I thought I could live with it, but the last straw was with the severe tramlining I encountered on fresh grooved pavement.
It felt like I was going to lose control and the back end was going to come around.

Previously, I had Discount/Americas tire rotate and balance the tires at 500 miles and nothing improved.
They submitted a case on the phone with Bridgestone, and are going to be sending back one of the tires to them under warranty.
I received about $300 in credit to cover 1 tire of my choice at 100% cost.

I went with a new set of Continental DWS06+. They aren't the quietest tires, but they perform excellent in dry, rain, and light snow for my trips to the mountains… while still being quieter than the Bridgestones.
I had the Michelin Primacy and Defenders on my other AWD vehicles.. Primacy are definitely quieter but weren’t that well in snow.
The Defenders made my Explorer ST feel solid like a tank/truck and just feels boring to drive on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think you made a good choice with the DWS06 a buddy of mine put them on his Cayenne over the stock Michelins and really likes them for the reduction in noise as well as an improvement in ride, will do the same on my Cayenne.
I have the new MDX Type S on order with the self- sealing Continentals, will cross my figures and hope they are better than the Bridgestone's.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think you made a good choice with the DWS06 a buddy of mine put them on his Cayenne over the stock Michelins and really likes them for the reduction in noise as well as an improvement in ride, will do the same on my Cayenne.
I have the new MDX Type S on order with the self- sealing Continentals, will cross my figures and hope they are better than the Bridgestone's.
I've been running the DWS for almost a decade on my cars, and our kids have picked them for their cars as well. IMHO they are one of the best all around tires available. Excellent dry, wet traction and even in light snow they are great. While the aren't the quietest or longest lasting tire around, they are an excellent compromise. The DWS-06 is the replacement for the orginal DWS,

My 2019 MDX hybrid had the OEM conti's on it, while they were an ok tire, and quiet, they were not match for the DWS-06 when it comes to handling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I will be joining the crowd and replacing the crap OEM on my 22 Advance. THey are horribly noisy and to me the wet traction is just simply unsafe period!!! My dealer seems to have the best price for the Continental DWS 06+ so that is where I will more than likely go. At this point anything is better than the crap on there now!!!

81 - 100 of 106 Posts