Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update

It turns out it was the tires. The difference between the Michelins and the OME Bridgestones is like night and day. The vehicle is literally whisper quiet at speeds 65 mph and lower. Even at higher speeds the vehicle is still extremely quiet. Happy to find out that there were no major mechanical issues with the vehicle…….Not happy to have had to basically do all of this leg work and have to give the dealership an ear full in order for them to final change out the tires……..Either way not like I needed any more confirmation but I will NEVER put anything but Michelin tires on any of my vehicles moving forward. I will immediately change out Michelins for any new vehicle that I will purchase in the future that doesn’t have them as standard OEM.
Would you tell us which Michelins you got specifically? Thank you for the update!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Any given mfg has tires that are quiet and tires that are not. along with various performance levels. Michelin makes some tires that are NOT quiet by any means, along with some that are. I've been using the continental DWS-06 on cars and in one case replacing michelin's. the conti was much quieter than the michelin. I've never run bridgestones so can't compare them to others. IIRC Bridgestone owns firestone.
That could be the case but every vehicle that I’ve had with Michelin OEM tires lasted for at least 60,000 or more and seemed to proved a quiet ride. It’s obviously difficult to compare road noise with multiple sets of tires from different companies because of the coat and time involved. I will say that it is quiet possible I just got a bad set of tires especially since this is the first time that this type of Bridgestone were used on vehicles. Additionally, I think rim design and/or metal used to make the rim may be a factor that plays into road noise. I suspect that the Type S with even wider and larger rims and tires probably will be susceptible to more road noise. It will be interesting to see what tires the choose for the OEM. When it’s all said and done like the vehicles themselves people tend to form brand loyalty to tires that seem to work for the vehicles they drive.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Any given mfg has tires that are quiet and tires that are not. along with various performance levels.
This is certainly the case. Different buyers have different attributes they want out of their tires and manufacturers make a number of different models of tires to meet those needs.

I'm looking for reasonable handling and reasonable wet performance and reasonable life along with reasonable quietness. On my last SUV I made the mistake of going from Michelin LTX to BFG (can't remember the model) and it took just a few miles t determine the BFG tires were much louder than the Michelins I had and I didn't want to live with it for the life of the tires. Luckily, Discount Tire gave me full cost of those BFG tires as credit toward new Michelins even though I purchased the BFGs at Costco. Discount Tire was great to work with and I keep going back there as a result.

Meanwhile, I bought BFG tires for my old Mustang - Michelin doesn't make a tire I want for that application and the BFGs are fine for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I bought 2022 mdx awd, i am experiencing same vibration near my gas pedal at above 65-75 speeds, even vibration is felt near front passenger feet area.
I took to the Acura dealer , engineer test drove it and said its road noise. I have experience driving lot of vehicles and didn't experience anything like this before.
I planning to visit him again,
so after alignment and rotation no more vibration?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing louder than expected road/tire noise at higher speeds? Starting around 55-60, begins a low bass like constant hum. I went back to dealer and service re-blanced front wheels and also rotated the fronts but this didnt make it any better.
I saw this youtube review that mentions noise towards the end of the review, but he didnt elaborate in more detail.
2022 Acura MDX Advance Review | An Enjoyable 3-Row SUV! - YouTube

Thanks
yap..I don't have low bass like sound problem but noise from the road....its worst than my previous pilot.....maybe new Bridgestone tires

·
Registered
40 Posts
Michelin Primarcy Sport A/S……….
Thank you! Did you mean Primacy Tour A/S? I can't find the Sport A/S.

I took my car back to the dealership. This time they could feel the steering wheel shake and compared it to new 2022 MDXs that they had on the lot and found they had the same problem. So now they're waiting to hear back from Acura to figure out what to do.

They never called the wheel shop that road force balanced and force matched my wheels and tires. In fact, they wanted me to call the wheel shop and try to explain what I meant by all the tires being "out of spec," even though I think they should already know what I'm talking about: they send their cars to this wheel shop!

So I called the shop, told them what's up, and they said to have the dealership call anytime they're open. So I gave the number, three times, to the dealer: once on the last visit, once before I took it in for this visit, and once when I dropped the car off and reviewed the reasons for service.

The service rep asked me what the number was over the weekend. When the wheel shop is closed. They never called. They forgot and lost the number.

Haven't worked with this rep in particular before, and I think he's new, so I'm trying to be patient. But jeez, he wanted me to either keep the car there over the weekend when nothing will be done, or bring the car in on Monday, without a plan other than "wait to hear from Acura."

How many visits have YOU made to the dealership for a new car? Crazy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thank you! Did you mean Primacy Tour A/S? I can't find the Sport A/S.

I took my car back to the dealership. This time they could feel the steering wheel shake and compared it to new 2022 MDXs that they had on the lot and found they had the same problem. So now they're waiting to hear back from Acura to figure out what to do.

They never called the wheel shop that road force balanced and force matched my wheels and tires. In fact, they wanted me to call the wheel shop and try to explain what I meant by all the tires being "out of spec," even though I think they should already know what I'm talking about: they send their cars to this wheel shop!

So I called the shop, told them what's up, and they said to have the dealership call anytime they're open. So I gave the number, three times, to the dealer: once on the last visit, once before I took it in for this visit, and once when I dropped the car off and reviewed the reasons for service.

The service rep asked me what the number was over the weekend. When the wheel shop is closed. They never called. They forgot and lost the number.

Haven't worked with this rep in particular before, and I think he's new, so I'm trying to be patient. But jeez, he wanted me to either keep the car there over the weekend when nothing will be done, or bring the car in on Monday, without a plan other than "wait to hear from Acura."

How many visits have YOU made to the dealership for a new car? Crazy.
It’s the Primacy Tour A/S.

I went to the dealer three times.

It appears that both Acura Corporate and the Dealerships know this is an issue and are hoping that people just either learn to deal with it or go ahead and replace the tires on their own.

Now what I don’t know is if it’s just a bad batch of tires or if the Bridgestone Alenzas are just bad tires across the board. It would seem to be the later since this tire is a brand new tire never made by Bridgestone and hasn’t been used on other vehicles.

I also believe that the MDX in Canada Does NOT have the Bridgestone tires but use Michelin’s instead. Probably due to the more snow that they get.

Apparently the Bridgestone tires were supposedly developed specifically for the new MDX which would indicate a specific partnership. I do not understand how they could actually let the vehicle even be sold with these tires especially if they were “thoroughly” tested.

I would not expect much help from the dealership or Acura Corporate. Best you can do is negotiate some kind of discount to get the tires switched out. I have gotten double and triple speak from my dealership. At first they admitted there was a noise issue……..now after having the tires changed out and them trying to get me to give them an excellent customer service rating and me refusing. They now say after I pressed them for some more discounts due to the back and forth to the dealership that the original tires were in good shape and that they couldn’t find any issues with them including sound.

Pretty sure this will be my last Acura product……….

·
Registered
317 Posts
In the end it all comes down to cost when making vehicles at large scale .

Some people will complain to live with it or swap the tires on their own . Which makes no sense to do that for precision crafted vehicle .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Where we left off: service at the dealer replicated the steering wheel shake at BELOW highway speeds. They test drove new MDXs that had just arrived at the lot, found the same issue. Called Acura HQ, was awaiting a call back.

They never called. I had to call back for an update and was told that, because this is on the new vehicles, this is all normal. I asked if I could partially pay for the tires, and his manager said that because there's nothing wrong with the car, they wouldn't be doing it. I suggested they call the wheel shop to find out what's up with the tires (which they still haven't done-- the whole reason for the service appointment was predicated on them finding out what, exactly, the wheel shop said was wrong with the tires!).

Never received a reply to a written inquiry to Client Relations. Called in today, reviewed everything and they said that a case manager would be reviewing things, but no timeline.

Nevermind the distorted HUD which they claim is also normal. Funny thing is, with the recent software update, looking at the Alexa HUD display shows a lovely distorted rectangle. And Alexa doesn't work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where we left off: service at the dealer replicated the steering wheel shake at BELOW highway speeds. They test drove new MDXs that had just arrived at the lot, found the same issue. Called Acura HQ, was awaiting a call back.

They never called. I had to call back for an update and was told that, because this is on the new vehicles, this is all normal. I asked if I could partially pay for the tires, and his manager said that because there's nothing wrong with the car, they wouldn't be doing it. I suggested they call the wheel shop to find out what's up with the tires (which they still haven't done-- the whole reason for the service appointment was predicated on them finding out what, exactly, the wheel shop said was wrong with the tires!).

Never received a reply to a written inquiry to Client Relations. Called in today, reviewed everything and they said that a case manager would be reviewing things, but no timeline.

Nevermind the distorted HUD which they claim is also normal. Funny thing is, with the recent software update, looking at the Alexa HUD display shows a lovely distorted rectangle. And Alexa doesn't work.
As I said before……..This looks like Acura Corporate has instructed the dealerships to basically try to convince the customers that they are just imaging the road noise. They know that the OEM tires are some garbage but do not want to go through the hassle and expense of replacing the tires on all of it’s new MDX’s.

Yes I’m sure other car companies would probably do the same thing………And I know other car manufacturers have issues with their cars especially “redesigned” models.

I’ve read on some blogs and sites that the dealership experience and service at Genesis for the GV80 is not good and isn’t befitting of a car costing upwards of $72K.

Sadly I don’t think you can trust any car manufacturer at this point with build quality. Especially when they are trying to get around the chip shortage by not offering some car features.……..And of course they won’t be lowering prices.

If the dealership won’t give you a credit for the OEM tires I would just get the Michelin’s and try to sell the Alenzas to a third party tire store, garage or even a gas station. At the very least you should be able to get a few hundred dollars for them.

Bottom line.…..You’ll be happy you changed out the tires when you do it.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I suggested they call the wheel shop to find out what's up with the tires (which they still haven't done
I'd actually be surprised if the Acura service department would call some other shop like this. I'd expect the Acura techs to diagnose and resolve the issues (if they decide there's an issue) themselves. I don't think you should have any expectation that an Acura tech will call a tire shop tech to discuss your vehicle regardless of what a service advisor might say to you. There's even a professional pride point at stake here.

If the dealership won’t give you a credit for the OEM tires I would just get the Michelin’s and try to sell the Alenzas to a third party tire store, garage or even a gas station. At the very least you should be able to get a few hundred dollars for them.
I've posted this before but I'll post again - I once bought some BFG tires from Costco that I ended up not liking once I drove on them. I actually wanted Michelin tires but Costco didn't have them so I settled for the BFGs but the BFGs turned out to be noisy and not handle as well as the Michelins that came off. Taking a chance try with nothing to lose I went to Discount Tire, told them my vehicle has these virtually brand new BFGs on them with perhaps 30 miles or so on them, that I'd really prefer Michelin, and was there anything they could do for me. They ended up giving me the full purchase price I paid Costco as credit on the BFGs towards the Michelins I wanted and that they had in stock. I left there quite happy. I've basically always had good experiences with Discount Tire and have purchased many sets of tires from them.

Maybe you should give what I did a shot - go to Discount Tire (America's Tire in some regions) and ask what they can do to take these tires plus whatever the cost difference is in exchange for the Michelins you want. It'll eliminate all the fussing around at the dealer that's just causing you aggravation and isn't getting you anywhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
TOTALLY! Drove it home from dealership: 5 miles city; 25 miles highway. First thing I said to my wife was "unusual amount of road noise; if it were a used vehicle, I would be suspect of the bearings/CV joints and would stay clear of it". Only reason I came to this forum for the first time, is it popped up in my search, to see if others had same opinion.

Came from a Grand Cherokee, which has little if any road noise. This is a shocker and don't know if I could tolerate it on trips. Now I find out the tires (Bridgestone) and bearings are suspect?! I run Bridgestones on my BMW M3 and of course expect a bit of road noise from a road hugger, but no way is the road noise as loud as this SUV.

(My 2 other issues are a surprisingly clunky transmission and a supper annoying head rest; will now go see if others have those observations too).

·
Registered
80 Posts
TOTALLY! Drove it home from dealership: 5 miles city; 25 miles highway. First thing I said to my wife was "unusual amount of road noise; if it were a used vehicle, I would be suspect of the bearings/CV joints and would stay clear of it". Only reason I came to this forum for the first time, is it popped up in my search, to see if others had same opinion.

Came from a Grand Cherokee, which has little if any road noise. This is a shocker and don't know if I could tolerate it on trips. Now I find out the tires (Bridgestone) and bearings are suspect?! I run Bridgestones on my BMW M3 and of course expect a bit of road noise from a road hugger, but no way is the road noise as loud as this SUV.

(My 2 other issues are a surprisingly clunky transmission and a supper annoying head rest; will now go see if others have those observations too).
Sadly your observations are problems experienced by other purchasers of the new MDX that have posted on this thread. Some have had there issues identified as faulty bearings others have identified the OEM tires as the culprit. My road noise issues were rectified by changing out the OEM Bridgestones with Michelin Primacy tires. Either way corporate Acura and the dealerships appear to be trying to sweep these issues under the rug and are not being helpful regarding them.

As far as any transmission issues. I personally have not experienced any and find the shifts in the transmission to be virtually seamless.

Lastly, I find the headrests to be quite comfortable. Try Using the backward and forward adjustment buttons on the side of the headrests. That helps with the positioning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
...My road noise issues were rectified by changing out the OEM Bridgestones with Michelin Primacy tires.
Very helpful, thanks. They are super highly rated on Tire Rack. Oddly, the Bridgestones are "not yet rated" on Tire Rack. Never thought tires could make that much difference, but will chat this up with the dealer. Another oddity is the Bridgestones are nearly 7% more $ on Tire Rack, which might aid my negotiations.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Very helpful, thanks. They are super highly rated on Tire Rack. Oddly, the Bridgestones are "not yet rated" on Tire Rack. Never thought tires could make that much difference, but will chat this up with the dealer. Another oddity is the Bridgestones are nearly 7% more $ on Tire Rack, which might aid my negotiations.
The Bridgestone Alenza Sport Tires have never been made before……..They were supposedly designed specifically for the MDX. That’s why they’re aren’t any ratings on them and why Acura Corporate won’t come out and say that they are bad tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Bridgestone Alenza Sport Tires have never been made before……..They were supposedly designed specifically for the MDX. That’s why they’re aren’t any ratings on them and why Acura Corporate won’t come out and say that they are bad tires.
I have same issue with tires... talked to dealer they said nothing else they can do...so call the bridgestone.. trey said only 1 tire can replace.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have same issue with tires... talked to dealer they said nothing else they can do...so call the bridgestone.. trey said only 1 tire can replace.....
Call Acura client relations. Don't settle for this nonsense. You shouldn't have to deal with it with any new car.

I'm still waiting to hear back from client relations. I'm going to call them early next week to follow up, and will update everyone here.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts