Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing louder than expected road/tire noise at higher speeds? Starting around 55-60, begins a low bass like constant hum. I went back to dealer and service re-blanced front wheels and also rotated the fronts but this didnt make it any better.
I saw this youtube review that mentions noise towards the end of the review, but he didnt elaborate in more detail.
2022 Acura MDX Advance Review | An Enjoyable 3-Row SUV! - YouTube

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing louder than expected road/tire noise at higher speeds? Starting around 55-60, begins a low bass like constant hum. I went back to dealer and service re-blanced front wheels and also rotated the fronts but this didnt make it any better.
I saw this youtube review that mentions noise towards the end of the review, but he didnt elaborate in more detail.

Thanks
No, not experiencing.

·
Registered
2010 MDX Tech+Ent
214 Posts

Thanks
Did anyone from the dealership confirm the noise with a road test?

Long time ago when we had a new Lexus, one of the tires would start droning at highway speeds. They rotated it from front to back and the noise would follow that one tire, so they replaced it under warranty and solved the problem.

The other similar experience we had was caused by a failing wheel bearing on a Subaru, but that was age related as we had over 100k mi on it before the bearing cooked itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, thank you both for your replies.
Dealership didnt come outright and confirm the noise. They confirmed "something" though, hence rebalancing and rotating the wheels. i'll have to go back and keep trying. I can't believe the noise is normal for a 50k+ car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did a test drive in a '22 MDX Tech and I couldn't believe how loud the interior was compared to my '17 MDX Sport Hybrid Adv. Some of that noise is the artificial engine noise that comes over the speakers. Can you dial down that artificial engine noise or is it tied to the IDS setting ie louder in Sport mode? FYI

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Road noise in an Acura/Honda is one of few standard "quirks" of the brand along with brake rotor warp, 100 month batteries only lasting 2-4 years, or "usual" transmission shifting. Most long-term Acura owners will notice a reduction of road noise with each new generation. Acura can be noticeably louder compared to other similarly priced brands.

Road noise can be reduced by:
  • tire break-in, brand new tires can create more noise and track/wander on hwys with rain grooves in the direction of travel for the first few hundred miles
  • rotations/cross rotations, will help keep wear even and noise down as the tire wears
  • alignment, my fresh of the transport 19 MDX had 1/2 of the alignment adjustments in the yellow or red
  • road surface, old asphalt or concrete the noisiest, fresh asphalt whisper quite
  • types of tires, certain tires just resonate at a frequency that translate into annoying road noise. I noticed a drop in road noise when I switched from OEM to Conti DWS tires on my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX (still have OEM on my 18 RLX and 19 MDX)
  • subjective noise, annoying to you might be acceptable to another driver. Might take you more time to get the "white noise" effect dialed in from the tires like other long term Acura/Honda owners.

Reactions: MCRacer

·
Registered
510 Posts
Road noise in an Acura/Honda is one of few standard "quirks" of the brand along with brake rotor warp, 100 month batteries only lasting 2-4 years, or "usual" transmission shifting. Most long-term Acura owners will notice a reduction of road noise with each new generation. Acura can be noticeably louder compared to other similarly priced brands.

Road noise can be reduced by:
  • tire break-in, brand new tires can create more noise and track/wander on hwys with rain grooves in the direction of travel for the first few hundred miles
  • rotations/cross rotations, will help keep wear even and noise down as the tire wears
  • alignment, my fresh of the transport 19 MDX had 1/2 of the alignment adjustments in the yellow or red
  • road surface, old asphalt or concrete the noisiest, fresh asphalt whisper quite
  • types of tires, certain tires just resonate at a frequency that translate into annoying road noise. I noticed a drop in road noise when I switched from OEM to Conti DWS tires on my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX (still have OEM on my 18 RLX and 19 MDX)
  • subjective noise, annoying to you might be acceptable to another driver. Might take you more time to get the "white noise" effect dialed in from the tires like other long term Acura/Honda owners.
we in the past owned a couple of accords, one passed down from my folks, one bought used. I thought they had way more road noise than comparable cars. And a couple of neighbors that are honda fans will admit honda road noise is worse than many other comparable cars. When we went test driving cars first Acura we drove was the new RDX. Road noise was terrible. DW couldn't in the back seat couldn't hear me in the front seat. Luckily the MDX was way better. It's not the quietest vehicle we've had but near the top. And at highway speeds wind noise is very low. Our Denali pickup is quieter, and the MDX is similar in road noise to our previous E class mercedes. Honda/Acura has IMHO done a good job for wind noise, why they haven't put attention on reducing road noise I don't know.

And yes, tires can make a huge difference in road noise. And to make it worse, around here where studded tires are still allowed, road noise on sections with lots of studded tires really increases road noise inside any car, especially on concrete sections.

The Conti DWS-06 in addition to being a great all weather performance tire is noticeably quieter than the factory Conti's on the MDX.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't test driven any other high end cars but I was driving at about 70-75 mph the other day and spent the entire time chatting/listening to two girls talking in the 3rd row.
I didn't notice any particularly loud noise or humming that was distracting me.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks
Hi,

I bought 2022 mdx awd, i am experiencing same vibration near my gas pedal at above 65-75 speeds, even vibration is felt near front passenger feet area.
I took to the Acura dealer , engineer test drove it and said its road noise. I have experience driving lot of vehicles and didn't experience anything like this before.
I planning to visit him again,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I bought 2022 mdx awd, i am experiencing same vibration near my gas pedal at above 65-75 speeds, even vibration is felt near front passenger feet area.
I took to the Acura dealer , engineer test drove it and said its road noise. I have experience driving lot of vehicles and didn't experience anything like this before.
I test drove the 2022 Tech Package and felt vibrations on/near the gas pedal. I thought it may have been road noise, but this is something I do not hear in the previous generation (2018) and X3 (2019) both of which I presently drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I test drove the 2022 Tech Package and felt vibrations on/near the gas pedal. I thought it may have been road noise, but this is something I do not hear in the previous generation (2018) and X3 (2019) both of which I presently drive.
Looks like common issue , i took it to dealer again and requested the sales rep to test drive with me. He felt the same bumpy ride and told me to drop the vehicle for more inspection. He said it might be related to tires or something else. I will drop update soon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

If you don't mind can I ask whether Apple/Android CarPlay turn by turn appears on the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
47 Posts
HOLY F, glad I found this. I posted this same thing over at Acurazine.

I've had the Advance for 2 weeks now. I test drove a Tech pkg one and no problems....that one I even took on the interstate to get up to 65-70 mph. Upon taking delivery of my Advance which had 8 miles, I didn't test drive on Interstate, b/c to be honest, I never EXPECTED to hear this type of DRONING/Humming noise. I get it at 65 mph....that's when it kicks in, esp if I let go of the gas and let it "cruise" on the interstate. It's is so freaking loud.....gives me a splitting headache after a few minutes. I turn up the radio and it barely drowns it out....I can't do that w/ the kids in the car.

Once I go above 70, the noise disappears. It's God awful!!! I have a service appt tomorrow at my dealer. Doing some overall research, these are some possible culprits:. 1. Bad Wheel Bearings....strange b/c this is brand new car, but it can happen. 2. Unbalanced wheel(s) 3. Bad tires. I'm used to Michelins, even though they suck for tread longetivity. These are new Bridgestone Alenzas on my MDX and I wonder if they are just loud tires.

I'm coming from a much older 2008 MDX, but as many quirks as that car had, it never sound so damn loud on the road EVER!!!!

Please share any findings. I'll do the same. I'm not nuts, b/c my wife hear's the same noise as well and it's pissing her off that a 60K car does THAT, lol.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
HOLY F, glad I found this. I posted this same thing over at Acurazine.

I've had the Advance for 2 weeks now. I test drove a Tech pkg one and no problems....that one I even took on the interstate to get up to 65-70 mph. Upon taking delivery of my Advance which had 8 miles, I didn't test drive on Interstate, b/c to be honest, I never EXPECTED to hear this type of DRONING/Humming noise. I get it at 65 mph....that's when it kicks in, esp if I let go of the gas and let it "cruise" on the interstate. It's is so freaking loud.....gives me a splitting headache after a few minutes. I turn up the radio and it barely drowns it out....I can't do that w/ the kids in the car.

Once I go above 70, the noise disappears. It's God awful!!! I have a service appt tomorrow at my dealer. Doing some overall research, these are some possible culprits:. 1. Bad Wheel Bearings....strange b/c this is brand new car, but it can happen. 2. Unbalanced wheel(s) 3. Bad tires. I'm used to Michelins, even though they suck for tread longetivity. These are new Bridgestone Alenzas on my MDX and I wonder if they are just loud tires.

I'm coming from a much older 2008 MDX, but as many quirks as that car had, it never sound so damn loud on the road EVER!!!!

Please share any findings. I'll do the same. I'm not nuts, b/c my wife hear's the same noise as well and it's pissing her off that a 60K car does THAT, lol.....
my noise is more like thumbing noise repetitive, it comes at 65 and goes all the way to 80. without putting pressure on gas pedal i can still feel thumbing vibrations

·
Registered
47 Posts
My MDX is at the shop now. The technician was backed up and couldn't go out w/ me for a test drive, but supposedly they said that there is a known issue w/ the Wheel Bearings!

That'd make sense, since I seem to have those exact type of symptoms at 65-70mph! Will post update once I hear back from them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My MDX is at the shop now. The technician was backed up and couldn't go out w/ me for a test drive, but supposedly they said that there is a known issue w/ the Wheel Bearings!

That'd make sense, since I seem to have those exact type of symptoms at 65-70mph! Will post update once I hear back from them.
Thanks for the update, i will let the technician know about wheel bearings. Please keep posted.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts