Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
people can say what they want about BMW, Lexus, MB but something like this would not pass muster and be delivered to the customer.
Definitely expected more from Acura dealer since it's supposed to be a luxury brand.. We got a crap economy SUV rental for a week that was old, dirty, too small for our car seats and had bald all season tires on it. Not good enough.

I've owned GM vehicles for over 25 years and been treated better by dealers in multiple locations for several different vehicles over the years. When I had my Chev truck in for warranty work, the dealer insisted that they had to loan or rent me something of equivalent size/value. Not the case with Acura.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
When I had my Chev truck in for warranty work, the dealer insisted that they had to loan or rent me something of equivalent size/value. Not the case with Acura.
A slight variation but that hasn't been my experience at all. I've owned Jeep, Ford, Dodge, Toyota that I've taken in for warranty work and none of the dealerships had loaner cars. They'd point down the street to Enterprise car rental and the like but it was on my dime (the Toyota place actually rented cars so they were convenient but still not a loaner).

I've only had my Acura to the dealership a couple of times and that was early many years ago (I haven't been back to the dealership since - no need to) on for warranty/recall work and they offered loaners every time. I did get an Acura sedan/coupe once but I was fine with it and didn't request an MDX and don't know if they would have had one if I requested it (to your point of equiv size).

Given the above scenarios, the Acura service department experience was better than the others in the respect of providing loaners. I'm surprised GM would provide a free loaner.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Definitely expected more from Acura dealer since it's supposed to be a luxury brand.. We got a crap economy SUV rental for a week that was old, dirty, too small for our car seats and had bald all season tires on it. Not good enough.
Thats just rubbing salt in the wound. Better to just say “We’re out” at that point.

Given the above scenarios, the Acura service department experience was better than the others in the respect of providing loaners. I'm surprised GM would provide a free loaner.
Need a better Chevy dealer - my buddy has always got decent loaners from his Chevy dealer too.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Need a better Chevy dealer
I've actually never owned a Chevy, strangely enough, and assumed they'd be similar in this respect to other domestic makes. I'm willing to own an old Camaro or Corvette but they'd be long out of warranty.

I'm surprised to hear that getting a free loaner from GM would be the norm. I expect it from Acura, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and other brands with higher costs but not domestic brands. It's kind of funny though that the large Mercedes dealer near me has Jeep and other brands for their courtesy cars.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've actually never owned a Chevy, strangely enough, and assumed they'd be similar in this respect to other domestic makes. I'm willing to own an old Camaro or Corvette but they'd be long out of warranty.

I'm surprised to hear that getting a free loaner from GM would be the norm. I expect it from Acura, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and other brands with higher costs but not domestic brands. It's kind of funny though that the large Mercedes dealer near me has Jeep and other brands for their courtesy cars.
Yeah especially right now loaners are just a mixed bag and fairly dependent on the dealer. I’d love a C8 Z06….

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Update 4: Acura Canada admitted to us today that this is a KNOWN problem with the 2022 MDX, and they DO NOT currently have a fix for it. (Infotainment system does not function in cold weather below -10-15C, and then causes a battery drain that kills the battery.) A technical bulletin has been issued to dealers. Then said it's not their problem and to resolve the issue with our dealer.

Dealer is lying and telling us that this is normal. Literally told us to try turning the car off and on after driving it awhile. We've owned the car for 18 days, 11 of which it has spent at the dealer. We are pushing the dealer to buy it back.

So they sold us a car that they KNEW was defective from day one. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Update 4: Acura Canada admitted to us today that this is a KNOWN problem with the 2022 MDX, and they DO NOT currently have a fix for it. (Infotainment system does not function in cold weather below -10-15C, and then causes a battery drain that kills the battery.) A technical bulletin has been issued to dealers. Then said it's not their problem and to resolve the issue with our dealer.

Dealer is lying and telling us that this is normal. Literally told us to try turning the car off and on after driving it awhile. We've owned the car for 18 days, 11 of which it has spent at the dealer. We are pushing the dealer to buy it back.

So they sold us a car that they KNEW was defective from day one. Buyer beware.
it was my suspicion that Acura pushed these cars out with near zero QC and known defects to make the sale. Now they have your money they can take their time putting out bs. Didn’t they just lose a class action against their infotainment system?

i also suspect they deliberately not record fault code for errors that flash on the screen because he dealer seldom finds anything wrong or can reproduce it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I couldn’t find the TSB on the US nhtsa site, not sure how long before new TSBs show up there but was hoping to find you useful details. It is also shocking to see how long they‘ve been ”investigating” the Brake Warning message now for.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Update 4: Acura Canada admitted to us today that this is a KNOWN problem with the 2022 MDX, and they DO NOT currently have a fix for it. (Infotainment system does not function in cold weather below -10-15C, and then causes a battery drain that kills the battery.)
I'd probably just go ahead and move. That's too cold of an area to live.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Update 5! Dealer presented us with 3 options: 1. Return our trade in. (But our 0% loan on it was paid out, so we would have to pay the dealer that significant amount for it.) 2. Return the MDX and they will pay us the equity from our trade in. (They still haven't provided an offer value.) 3. They will loan us an RDX and will not return the MDX until it is fixed for good, however long that takes. (But Acura Canada already told us that there was no fix for this problem, so it feels like they are still lying/stalling with this option..) Dealer is of course pushing us to keep the car and go with option 3.

So, Update to the update this morning: even though the infotainment was still not working, we thought they had fixed the battery drain issue for the past week... WRONG. Wife and I tried to take kids to daycare and go to work today, and went out to a DEAD MDX for the THIRD TIME in the 12 days we've had the car in our possession. Screwed everything up and made us both late for work AGAIN.

Beyond done with Acura and Honda. Absolute JUNK.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Update 5! Dealer presented us with 3 options: 1. Return our trade in. (But our 0% loan on it was paid out, so we would have to pay the dealer that significant amount for it.) 2. Return the MDX and they will pay us the equity from our trade in. (They still haven't provided an offer value.) 3. They will loan us an RDX and will not return the MDX until it is fixed for good, however long that takes. (But Acura Canada already told us that there was no fix for this problem, so it feels like they are still lying/stalling with this option..) Dealer is of course pushing us to keep the car and go with option 3.

So, Update to the update this morning: even though the infotainment was still not working, we thought they had fixed the battery drain issue for the past week... WRONG. Wife and I tried to take kids to daycare and go to work today, and went out to a DEAD MDX for the THIRD TIME in the 12 days we've had the car in our possession. Screwed everything up and made us both late for work AGAIN.

Beyond done with Acura and Honda. Absolute JUNK.
Sorry to hear that. I myself will be mad as well if this happens. From the three options, if financially possible, option#1 is my choice. Let say you are going to buy a new lexus to replace the mdx, given the current situation in car market, it will take some time to source any new vehicle (2-4 month?). You need a transport whole waiting. Hence option #1.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
If I was in your position option 3, them keeping the MDX until they fix it, would be off the table because I'd be too disgusted to continue with the vehicle.

Option 2 you can't decide on until they give you the numbers. They should've done that already and known them before they had this discussion with you. It only takes a dealer a few minutes to put a value on a vehicle.

Option 1 puts you back to about where you were at the beginning and does a reset, which sounds like may be the best option. I'm surprised they still have your trade-in though because I've heard cars are selling like hotcakes nowadays. For the loan portion, if you still need it rather than just paying it off cash yourself, you can see what that dealer will offer or you can check with a credit union or other lender to find the cheapest loan. If reasonable for you, just paying it off in cash is the best option. If you plan on just turning that car around in a few months as a trade-in for some other new car then the interest rate on the loan, if you get one, is insignificant so I wouldn't be concerned about that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Looks like we'll be going with option 2, as the dealer has verbally agreed to pay us our trade in equity, deposit and the tax savings from the trade in. So we're walking away as though we essentially sold our old car to them for a decent price.

Option 1 wasn't good enough for us for multiple reasons. It had a 0% financing, so we're not going to take out another loan on it or put it on a LOC at 5% interest. We already sold the winter wheels and tires off of it, which are a necessity here. And we traded it in for a reason; definitely a concern that it could break down and cost additional money in the time we re-own it.

Option 3 would have been ok, and they offered a demo MDX to us, but we simply don't trust Acura as a brand anymore. Acura Canada told us point blank that there was no fix. I would hope that they're working on it but it isn't out yet and they are knowingly selling cars that are defective.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Looks like we'll be going with option 2, as the dealer has verbally agreed to pay us our trade in equity, deposit and the tax savings from the trade in. So we're walking away as though we essentially sold our old car to them for a decent price.

Option 1 wasn't good enough for us for multiple reasons. It had a 0% financing, so we're not going to take out another loan on it or put it on a LOC at 5% interest. We already sold the winter wheels and tires off of it, which are a necessity here. And we traded it in for a reason; definitely a concern that it could break down and cost additional money in the time we re-own it.

Option 3 would have been ok, and they offered a demo MDX to us, but we simply don't trust Acura as a brand anymore. Acura Canada told us point blank that there was no fix. I would hope that they're working on it but it isn't out yet and they are knowingly selling cars that are defective.
It is strange that if this was any sort of a widespread issue, I would think we would hear more about it. It must be some very specific electrical fault (harness or something) in your MDX. It is like 5 degrees here in Chicago and lots of the US is frigid too, so if this were really a "too cold" issue we should hear it from many others I would think. I understand you are scarred on the Acura brand from this though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
It is strange that if this was any sort of a widespread issue, I would think we would hear more about it. It must be some very specific electrical fault (harness or something) in your MDX. It is like 5 degrees here in Chicago and lots of the US is frigid too, so if this were really a "too cold" issue we should hear it from many others I would think. I understand you are scarred on the Acura brand from this though.
My impression is that a certain percentage of the infotainment control modules and associated relays are defective - let's say 30-40%. So you probably have a 60-70% chance of getting a car without the issue. But for those with the issue, the only fix is to keep replacing the control module with the same batch of defective ones, so you have a 30-40% chance of having the same problem each time. Those that live in warmer climates may have a defective control module but not know because it isn't defective in their climate.

There are also varying levels of defectiveness. The 2nd one only failed below -15C at first and didn't drain the battery. But over the past week, it quickly got worse each day to a point where it failed at only -7C and drained the battery again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
…….
Do you have another vehicle(s) that can be used in the mean time while looking for the the replacement? I mentioned earlier that in current market, finding a new car around MSRP will take some time and you may have to wait 4-6 months?

·
Registered
335 Posts
My impression is that a certain percentage of the infotainment control modules and associated relays are defective - let's say 30-40%. So you probably have a 60-70% chance of getting a car without the issue. But for those with the issue, the only fix is to keep replacing the control module with the same batch of defective ones, so you have a 30-40% chance of having the same problem each time. Those that live in warmer climates may have a defective control module but not know because it isn't defective in their climate.

There are also varying levels of defectiveness. The 2nd one only failed below -15C at first and didn't drain the battery. But over the past week, it quickly got worse each day to a point where it failed at only -7C and drained the battery again.
30 to 40 percent defective sounds way high though to me at least. If it was that high we would have tens of thousands of cars that are having the issue and I would think that would generate a lot more talk on these boards about the issue

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Do you have another vehicle(s) that can be used in the mean time while looking for the the replacement? I mentioned earlier that in current market, finding a new car around MSRP will take some time and you may have to wait 4-6 months?
Yeah we have another vehicle, but definitely will be tough as our kids go to daycare and we work in opposite ends of the city.
The car shortage situation doesn't seem to be that bad where I live and there are lots of options within about a 4 hour radius. It only took 2 weeks to get the MDX. Before that we had looked at a Cadillac XT5/XT6 and it only took about 3 weeks to get a shipment of those in.

41 - 60 of 268 Posts