Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
The thing with touchscreens, and the reason German cars including audi shunned it until recently, is they are distracting and not safe. By very definition you have to take your eyes off the road to look at the screen to see what you are touching. With distracted driving problems that's just adding to it and is a huge safety problem.

While I agree the Acura true TouchPad system takes awhile to get used to, it's actually very safe as you don't need to look down at what u are touching, just over a bit at the monitor which is high so eyes don't have to go far. Part of the problem is they've made it somewhat difficult to use and figure out, but that will go away once you've had it for awhile.

I used to have same problem with split screen and rotary knob system in my 2019 mdx, however after having it for awhile is really not so hard anymore.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't know. I have given up on VW/Audi. I have owned two of their cars now (I am a fool) for 10+ years and both have been nothing but problems once they got past 100K (call it planned obsolesce). I had a 2003 honda accord with 280K, barely any issues. Most the VW/Audi were electronic issues and random stuff, ignition locks, steering wheel clock springs, radiator expansion pump, door locks failing, headliner failing, vacuum pump leaking oil (all common issues you will find across VW/Audi models from the past). Knock on wood never had any engine or transmission issues, but everything else basically feel apart around the cars. Basically anything made from plastic of course didn't last and left me stranded or unable to start the vehicle. The initial first years are trouble free, but there is a reason once they fall out of warranty they depreciate fast because everything starts falling apart and everything is a nightmare to work on or replace. $30 ignition lock part, $800 in labor quoted from dealer to replace. Basically the gist of any VW/Audi repair. Also my friend has brand new Q5 and is already having to replace tires at 25K with no alignment issues. But that is tire issue, not Audi's fault (well maybe if they cheapen out on sourcing tires).

I personally own my cars at least 10+ years, I am never taking that chance again on VW/Audi no matter how nice it is. The Japanese follow KISS, keep it simple stupid. Defn not the flashiest but good enough for my needs. The difference between Acura and Honda dealer is basically nill though, it doesn't feel like a premium experience at all. If the Pilot (ugly bloated marshmallow) looked like the MDX, I would have defn gotten that instead.
I've only owned 3 audis, although first was 20 yrs ago so doesn't really count.

In 2005 I bought a 2001 a6 2.7t with like 35k miles and that was a great car. Although it was very basic, the fanciest options that had was the hid headlights, headlight washers, cd changer, rear heated seats and auto dimming side mirrors. So not much technology to go wrong.

I traded that in a few years later for a 2004 a8l with like 41k miles. That car was loaded to the gills with options including dynamic air suspension that you can control through car infotainment system, crazy ambient lighting system, front and rear heated and cooled seats, power rear sun shades, you name it. That car was a disaster. Had to repair the suspension several times because dealer couldn't fix it properly. Then tire pressure sensors failed and needed to be replaced (can't swap batteries, need to replace sensors for a couple hundred a pop). Then radiator needed to be replaced. Had it in for service so much they knew me on first name basis. Good thing I had purchased extended warranty (the only time I've bought one). That soured me on audi and I traded that in for a new Infiniti g37s coupe (my 1st brand new car). That car was great to me and I traded that in for a new fx35, which has also been a great car with very minimal problems and I still own. I gave that car to my wife when her car died and we bought a new 2019 mdx, my first Acura. Knock on wood but that's been good to us so far as well with minimal issues (all minor).

Anyone with a bad experience with a particular brand is likely to sour their opinion on that brand going forward. After my experience with the a8l I was just really nervous to trust audi again and jump in a q7, although the price difference was the biggest factor (if I could have gotten it for same price as the mdx who knows what I'd have done). If I'd have had that experience with an Acura instead of audi then I probably would have bought a q7 and steered clear of the mdx.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The thing with touchscreens, and the reason German cars including audi shunned it until recently, is they are distracting and not safe. By very definition you have to take your eyes off the road to look at the screen to see what you are touching. With distracted driving problems that's just adding to it and is a huge safety problem.

While I agree the Acura true TouchPad system takes awhile to get used to, it's actually very safe as you don't need to look down at what u are touching, just over a bit at the monitor which is high so eyes don't have to go far. Part of the problem is they've made it somewhat difficult to use and figure out, but that will go away once you've had it for awhile.

I used to have same problem with split screen and rotary knob system in my 2019 mdx, however after having it for awhile is really not so hard anymore.

I understand and agree mostly… but the rotary dial system even works better. :) Someone told me the MDX may have had the sensitivity set too high and that’s why it was practically unusable… maybe that’s it. Either way very poor first impression. Mercedes is the smartest. They give you touch screen, voice control, and a blackberry like touchpad click wheel thing on the steering wheel. No matter what you prefer they’ve got a solution. If I was building cars that’s what I’d do. And I do think the rotary knob on the 2019 is far superior to truetouch. We have it on our Pilot and besides the database search sucking, the system is easy enough to understand and works fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You’re not wrong, but I’m not so convinced that anyone outside of Toyota / Lexus are still making simple reliable cars anymore. To be fair my n52 e90 has been really great for the 10+ years I’ve had it. I was scared to buy it but went against my better judgement… thankfully

Our Pilot has really soured me on Honda. VCM pretty much destroyed my perception of Honda. The 2022 MDX was tempting until I drove it and tried messing with that infotainment system. Just wasn’t all there or wasn’t for me or maybe both. They’ve gotta be insane if they think that TrueTouch system is going to demo well and sell cars. If I was selling (Audi, bmw, MB, Chevy, Kia, etc) against it I’d just point out how difficult the Acura system is to use in comparison to any touch screen. Overall just wasn’t impressed at all… and I really truly wanted to be. My wife and I almost just preordered it because it seemed so perfect on paper and in reviews... and then just disappointment. Oh well. Fingers crossed VW/Audi treat me well.
Yeah I heard first gen vcm had all kinds of issues. My parents had an accord with first gen vcm and it had issues. They quickly sold it.

I think Acura engineers made mistake not also making the screen a touch screen. The truetouch has a learning curve, but i think it way faster to navigate with once you get the hang of it vs touch. Plus more ergo friendly than reaching for the screen in the center of the dash. Having touch would have given people options which other makes do. The two screen setup in the 3rd gen is straight out of 2001 and awful to interact with I found.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After a long TERRIBLE drawn out experience dealing with Acura, I FINALLY after nearly a week of calling, got word my transmission is done for on my 2022 MDX with 550 miles. My advice to anyone is too stay away this company! I have had not one positive thing to say at this point! They have ordered a new transmission and find it acceptable to give me a 2020 ( not cleaned ) to drive around and expect me to be satisfied by this, well I am not! No sympathy, not a care in the world, they couldn’t get me off the phone fast enough! SAVE YOUR MONEY PEOPLE! Go elsewhere!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The above pictures are a testament to how my car was returned to me after the new transmission was put in my 2022 MDX with 550 miles. I was told “details aren’t done on warranty work”!!! Well I sure would hope my car was at least returned in the same cleanliness as it was given. (pictures are AFTER 2car washes) I was also told I should be happy I was given a “ no charge” loaner while my car was being worked on . I can not BELIEVE the customer service of this company and with I could scream it from the rooftops of ever city. I also would like to mention this is just another example of the MANY issues I have had with Acura over the last few weeks. PLEASE do yourself a favor and not chance having to deal with this company and you will thank me!!!!!!

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,166 Posts
The above pictures are a testament to how my car was returned to me after the new transmission was put in my 2022 MDX with 550 miles. I was told “details aren’t done on warranty work”!!! Well I sure would hope my car was at least returned in the same cleanliness as it was given. (pictures are AFTER 2car washes) I was also told I should be happy I was given a “ no charge” loaner while my car was being worked on . I can not BELIEVE the customer service of this company and with I could scream it from the rooftops of ever city. I also would like to mention this is just another example of the MANY issues I have had with Acura over the last few weeks. PLEASE do yourself a favor and not chance having to deal with this company and you will thank me!!!!!!
Oh god... Someone's having a childish-level tantrum. Please get yourself a garbage new Nissan product and have them to try to fix a safety issue that nearly kills you and come back with what they tell you (most likely they won't fix it). Also, please be happy your MDX didn't kill you or your family, and be glad they saved you money on both the transmission job and the loaner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh god... Someone's having a childish-level tantrum. Please get yourself a garbage new Nissan product and have them to try to fix a safety issue that nearly kills you and come back with what they tell you (most likely they won't fix it). Also, please be happy your MDX didn't kill you or your family, and be glad they saved you money on both the transmission job and the loaner.
Childish-level tantrum?! Really? I am just trying to point out SOME of the never ending problems I am having with this company! I have spent a lot of money on this vehicle and it is sold with a warranty that should be backed up when issues arise! I should NOT have to call endlessly to get the issue addressed. I should not be treated like I am a burden and blatantly ignored time and time again. I should not have my brand new car with now 610 miles on it returned looking like filthy mess. I also am not the type that goes to “social media” for every little thing. (I have never once named the dealership) Take my experience as you wish but, I wish I had reviews like mine to read before my purchase because it would have made me think much longer and harder.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,166 Posts
Childish-level tantrum?! Really? I am just trying to point out SOME of the never ending problems I am having with this company! I have spent a lot of money on this vehicle and it is sold with a warranty that should be backed up when issues arise! I should NOT have to call endlessly to get the issue addressed. I should not be treated like I am a burden and blatantly ignored time and time again. I should not have my brand new car with now 610 miles on it returned looking like filthy mess. I also am not the type that goes to “social media” for every little thing. (I have never once named the dealership) Take my experience as you wish but, I wish I had reviews like mine to read before my purchase because it would have made me think much longer and harder.
You should name drop the dealership, so members that lives near you can avoid that dealer at all cost. And how many Acura dealers have you went to so far regarding this issue? And trust me, Honda does back their warranty up (they might end up warrantying my navigation system soon, even though I'm out of warranty), since I have used them many times for my 3rd gen and of course I went to multiple dealers since its at the dealership level to decide whether or not they want Honda to warranty it. Your issue lies on ONE particular crappy dealer who didn't bother to wash the vehicle and a transmission made on a Friday. I'll suggest you using more than 1 dealer for warranty work and if it bothers you so much, tell them to detail the vehicle.

Yes there are at least a handful of Acura dealers that we, the customers, should avoid especially their service department. But you calling out a manufacturer before seeing multiple dealers for warranty issues is bs.

My parent's latest car, with maybe 300 miles on the odo, tried to kill me, and with 900 miles when it tried to kill me and my brother. Guess what, I went to at least 3 dealers to get it fixed (all didn't bother to fix it cuz they bunch of scums which correlates to corporate not bothering or giving jack), but insurance company fixed it instead. And come to think of it I haven't driven that deathbox since a year now.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Oh god... Someone's having a childish-level tantrum.
I remember seeing another thread when you're trashing someone in MB and getting the same exact sentiment about yourself. Maybe own up to your posts first?

I am just trying to point out SOME of the never ending problems I am having with this company!
With only 5 posts on these boards, trashing the entire company from the get-go does not add much credibility to your posts. Its terrible that you're dealing with a new transmission failure and replacement on a new vehicle, but apart for transmission replaced by Acura, its your experience with Service Department at your local dealership that should be the focus. If you want to warn others about your negative dealer experience, there are plenty of places where you can send formal complains starting from a letter to Acura Corporate, DealerRater, local BBS, etc. if you feel they did not meet your expectations.

That said, if you had better experience with other car brands, maybe rethink long term ownership and consider switching back at earliest. For myself, I found Acura to be no better or worse than other brands I owned. Mostly, it came down to individual person's willingness to help, but overall it reflected on the brand, which is why 5 years ago I decided to switch to another. Good luck with your car ownership experience!

·
Registered
413 Posts
even during covid when our 2019 hybrid was in for the DCT sw update we were given a clean new 2020 mdx to drive as a loner, and when we came back our car had been washed, cleaned inside and we were given a coupon for the local car wash for another free wash. In addition they did a couple of TSB updates I asked for no questions asked, and didn't hit me with "the oil needs to be changed etc." since you haven't been in for service etc. song and dance either.

So, there ARE good dealers out there, to bad there are bad ones as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, while I feel terrible I do think it’s mostly on the dealer here. With that said you’d think Acura would do a bit more to push dealers to perform better. One of my local Acura dealers is a complete turd too. The other one is OK…. Best dealers I’ve been to are Lexus, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes specifically.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts