Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
The thing with touchscreens, and the reason German cars including audi shunned it until recently, is they are distracting and not safe. By very definition you have to take your eyes off the road to look at the screen to see what you are touching. With distracted driving problems that's just adding to it and is a huge safety problem.

While I agree the Acura true TouchPad system takes awhile to get used to, it's actually very safe as you don't need to look down at what u are touching, just over a bit at the monitor which is high so eyes don't have to go far. Part of the problem is they've made it somewhat difficult to use and figure out, but that will go away once you've had it for awhile.

I used to have same problem with split screen and rotary knob system in my 2019 mdx, however after having it for awhile is really not so hard anymore.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don't know. I have given up on VW/Audi. I have owned two of their cars now (I am a fool) for 10+ years and both have been nothing but problems once they got past 100K (call it planned obsolesce). I had a 2003 honda accord with 280K, barely any issues. Most the VW/Audi were electronic issues and random stuff, ignition locks, steering wheel clock springs, radiator expansion pump, door locks failing, headliner failing, vacuum pump leaking oil (all common issues you will find across VW/Audi models from the past). Knock on wood never had any engine or transmission issues, but everything else basically feel apart around the cars. Basically anything made from plastic of course didn't last and left me stranded or unable to start the vehicle. The initial first years are trouble free, but there is a reason once they fall out of warranty they depreciate fast because everything starts falling apart and everything is a nightmare to work on or replace. $30 ignition lock part, $800 in labor quoted from dealer to replace. Basically the gist of any VW/Audi repair. Also my friend has brand new Q5 and is already having to replace tires at 25K with no alignment issues. But that is tire issue, not Audi's fault (well maybe if they cheapen out on sourcing tires).

I personally own my cars at least 10+ years, I am never taking that chance again on VW/Audi no matter how nice it is. The Japanese follow KISS, keep it simple stupid. Defn not the flashiest but good enough for my needs. The difference between Acura and Honda dealer is basically nill though, it doesn't feel like a premium experience at all. If the Pilot (ugly bloated marshmallow) looked like the MDX, I would have defn gotten that instead.
I've only owned 3 audis, although first was 20 yrs ago so doesn't really count.

In 2005 I bought a 2001 a6 2.7t with like 35k miles and that was a great car. Although it was very basic, the fanciest options that had was the hid headlights, headlight washers, cd changer, rear heated seats and auto dimming side mirrors. So not much technology to go wrong.

I traded that in a few years later for a 2004 a8l with like 41k miles. That car was loaded to the gills with options including dynamic air suspension that you can control through car infotainment system, crazy ambient lighting system, front and rear heated and cooled seats, power rear sun shades, you name it. That car was a disaster. Had to repair the suspension several times because dealer couldn't fix it properly. Then tire pressure sensors failed and needed to be replaced (can't swap batteries, need to replace sensors for a couple hundred a pop). Then radiator needed to be replaced. Had it in for service so much they knew me on first name basis. Good thing I had purchased extended warranty (the only time I've bought one). That soured me on audi and I traded that in for a new Infiniti g37s coupe (my 1st brand new car). That car was great to me and I traded that in for a new fx35, which has also been a great car with very minimal problems and I still own. I gave that car to my wife when her car died and we bought a new 2019 mdx, my first Acura. Knock on wood but that's been good to us so far as well with minimal issues (all minor).

Anyone with a bad experience with a particular brand is likely to sour their opinion on that brand going forward. After my experience with the a8l I was just really nervous to trust audi again and jump in a q7, although the price difference was the biggest factor (if I could have gotten it for same price as the mdx who knows what I'd have done). If I'd have had that experience with an Acura instead of audi then I probably would have bought a q7 and steered clear of the mdx.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The thing with touchscreens, and the reason German cars including audi shunned it until recently, is they are distracting and not safe. By very definition you have to take your eyes off the road to look at the screen to see what you are touching. With distracted driving problems that's just adding to it and is a huge safety problem.

While I agree the Acura true TouchPad system takes awhile to get used to, it's actually very safe as you don't need to look down at what u are touching, just over a bit at the monitor which is high so eyes don't have to go far. Part of the problem is they've made it somewhat difficult to use and figure out, but that will go away once you've had it for awhile.

I used to have same problem with split screen and rotary knob system in my 2019 mdx, however after having it for awhile is really not so hard anymore.

I understand and agree mostly… but the rotary dial system even works better. :) Someone told me the MDX may have had the sensitivity set too high and that’s why it was practically unusable… maybe that’s it. Either way very poor first impression. Mercedes is the smartest. They give you touch screen, voice control, and a blackberry like touchpad click wheel thing on the steering wheel. No matter what you prefer they’ve got a solution. If I was building cars that’s what I’d do. And I do think the rotary knob on the 2019 is far superior to truetouch. We have it on our Pilot and besides the database search sucking, the system is easy enough to understand and works fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You’re not wrong, but I’m not so convinced that anyone outside of Toyota / Lexus are still making simple reliable cars anymore. To be fair my n52 e90 has been really great for the 10+ years I’ve had it. I was scared to buy it but went against my better judgement… thankfully

Our Pilot has really soured me on Honda. VCM pretty much destroyed my perception of Honda. The 2022 MDX was tempting until I drove it and tried messing with that infotainment system. Just wasn’t all there or wasn’t for me or maybe both. They’ve gotta be insane if they think that TrueTouch system is going to demo well and sell cars. If I was selling (Audi, bmw, MB, Chevy, Kia, etc) against it I’d just point out how difficult the Acura system is to use in comparison to any touch screen. Overall just wasn’t impressed at all… and I really truly wanted to be. My wife and I almost just preordered it because it seemed so perfect on paper and in reviews... and then just disappointment. Oh well. Fingers crossed VW/Audi treat me well.
Yeah I heard first gen vcm had all kinds of issues. My parents had an accord with first gen vcm and it had issues. They quickly sold it.

I think Acura engineers made mistake not also making the screen a touch screen. The truetouch has a learning curve, but i think it way faster to navigate with once you get the hang of it vs touch. Plus more ergo friendly than reaching for the screen in the center of the dash. Having touch would have given people options which other makes do. The two screen setup in the 3rd gen is straight out of 2001 and awful to interact with I found.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts