Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Are you kidding? Why should he be grateful for having warranty for a brand new car? Even the cheapest new car has it.
I am not kidding. I'm encouraging him to be grateful that Acura loaned him a car while his is being fixed, even though it was dirty. What was wrong with my comment?

·
Registered
19 Posts
WOW, is it common? Speechless. Maybe have to buy a Toyota/Lexus nowadays. The next gen RX seems not that ugly anymore.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Oh the RX is still pretty ugly. :)

Sadly if you want bulletproof Toyota / Lexus is about the only game still in town. With that said we just took a "compromise" position rather than replacing our Honda Pilot and are keeping our Honda but replacing our old IS300 with a CPO'd 2018 Audi Q5. Gotta say - so far <loving> the Audi. The Audi "virtual cockpit" / infotainment suite for sure being a high point of the car.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Kia in terms of reliability is right up there with Toyota. I'll be curious how the new genesis holds up also

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kia in terms of reliability is right up there with Toyota. I'll be curious how the new genesis holds up also

No, not really. Way too many serious engine problems with their 4 cylinder engines…. And fires…

Best part is they recalled them since the bottom end would start knocking shortly before all the pieces come out the side of the block. The recall was to prevent “dangerous failure” on the interstate. What did they do? Replace rod bearings? Nope. Put some high tech oil in it that extends bearing life? Wrong. Nope, they tuned the ecu to go into limp mode when the bottom end starts knocking and hoped that it would stay together long enough to get off the interstate. Surely once the engine grenades the replacement engine will have improvements that will ensure the new engine won’t come apart right? Yeah… you guessed it… wrong again. Rinse and repeat as they keep throwing rods. I’m not saying Hyundai/ Kia is terrible but that’s not anywhere close to Toyota.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was basing my reliability observations on consumer reports overall reliability ratings.

Yeah, I’m somewhat skeptical of some of their ratings, mostly because I’m not convinced they weigh the severity of issues properly. Here’s an interesting video from Canada on the issues. They did a nice job with it. If you search from there you’ll see that they really have had a lot of issues.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I agree, they have the q7 as one of the most reliable, with 2019 and 2020 3rd gen mdx as trash basically. Purely subjective but my 2019 mdx has been very good from reliability, minor inconveniences but nothing major. Their rating on the 2019 has gone up but last I checked 2020 wasn't good even though it's same exact vehicle as 2019

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree, they have the q7 as one of the most reliable, with 2019 and 2020 3rd gen mdx as trash basically. Purely subjective but my 2019 mdx has been very good from reliability, minor inconveniences but nothing major. Their rating on the 2019 has gone up but last I checked 2020 wasn't good even though it's same exact vehicle as 2019

Yeah, but the issue is how they get there. They seem to weigh infotainment issues the same as say a major transmission problem. When I was thinking of replacing our Pilot with a midsize premium suv if you looked a lot of the things bringing the score down on even some of the “poor” ones was simply infotainment or other fairly minor stuff. Meanwhile they’d give a pass to a car that had a crap infotainment system design (but never breaks) and a transmission full of problems. Their surveys don’t really seem to bring in that “well what was the impact of the failure” component. A classic example is they show the Pilot with lots of brake issues. I can confirm the brakeson the 2nd gen Pilot truly will make you vow to never buy another Honda… but it’s warping / pad deposit issues. You can get that fixed if you want or just let the brakes shake until the car wears out. Meanwhile they understate severity of the VCM issues. VCM is a HUGE problem on them… reading CR you’d think it might just be a misfire - not that you need to re-ring cylinders for a few thousand.

When I was researching it seems the Q7 is actually pretty solid these days. Yes, a lot of replaced water pumps, some people struggling to update maps, etc… but all caught by the dealer during service with no trip or mechanical breakdown associated with it. I really couldn’t find any “my car left me stranded today” reports on the 2nd gen q7.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Q7 is going to be the nicer car but you pay a premium, maintenance is higher, depreciation is faster. The new mdx has definitely closed the gap though. The mdx is an all arounder, master of none. Mdx is defn the best value package currently. The South Koreans are defn closing the gap also with gv80.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Their rating on the 2019 has gone up but last I checked 2020 wasn't good even though it's same exact vehicle as 2019
Sorry, you're wrong, it's not the "exact same vehicle". The 2020 Q7 is a mid-cycle refresh of the "4M" second generation. Among other things, it's uses a turbocharged engine vs. the supercharged engine in the 2019, and has a dual screen touchscreen infotainment system vs. a single screen dial-driven infotainment system on the 2019. I know - I have the 2020 Q7 Prestige, and my son owns a 2019 Prestige. Finally, I've had no issues (just periodic maintenance) with my 2020 in approximately 13K miles. Same for my son's 2019. Contrary to what is sometimes said on Asian brand auto forums like this one, this are generally very reliable vehicles - at least as reliable as my 2020 Advance. And yes, there is a premium to be paid for maintaining these cars, but you know that going in.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry, you're wrong, it's not the "exact same vehicle". The 2020 Q7 is a mid-cycle refresh of the "4M" second generation. Among other things, it's uses a turbocharged engine vs. the supercharged engine in the 2019, and has a dual screen touchscreen infotainment system vs. a single screen dial-driven infotainment system on the 2019. I know - I have the 2020 Q7 Prestige, and my son owns a 2019 Prestige. Finally, I've had no issues (just periodic maintenance) with my 2020 in approximately 13K miles. Same for my son's 2019. Contrary to what is sometimes said on Asian brand auto forums like this one, this are generally very reliable vehicles - at least as reliable as my 2020 Advance. And yes, there is a premium to be paid for maintaining these cars, but you know that going in.
I was referring to the 2019 v 2020 mdx not the q7. I know the q7 underwent a mid cycle refresh. I wasn't making any statements about q7 reliability besides stating that consumer reports has it rated near the top of the pack. Their rating on the mdx has jumped all over the past couple years. I've been watching since I bought my 2019 mdx in 2018 and reliability for the 2019 went from good to poor to average, even though reliability for individual "trouble spots" hasn't changed much. Not sure if the number of recalls somewhat overrides the composite reliability score for each "trouble spot" or how their calculations work because simply looking at composite ratings it should at least be above average. Again that's for the mdx not the q7.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Q7 is going to be the nicer car but you pay a premium, maintenance is higher, depreciation is faster. The new mdx has definitely closed the gap though. The mdx is an all arounder, master of none. Mdx is defn the best value package currently. The South Koreans are defn closing the gap also with gv80.
I drove a new Q7 4 cylinder that I could buy for $60k and I drove a new 2022 MDX I could buy for $60k. I thought the Q7 was by far the better value. It also felt faster and quieter. Regarding maintenance being more? Yes.... it has double the transmission services, the tires are expensive, and the brakes aren't cheap. With that said the only remotely common problems I've heard people complain about with them are: squealing brakes, slight water pump leaks leading to early replacement but never major issues, and infotainment can be a pain to update if over the air doesn't seem to work. Despite looking, I saw no complaints of engines failing, transmissions failing, or people getting stranded by their Q7. We were also looking at the new GLE's and THOSE were a nightmare - lots of stranded people with 600 miles on the car. It was of course our favorite to drive though. Frankly to me the Q7 seemed like the "smartest" choice of all the cars we'd looked at.

Sadly (and I am sad about it) it seems more solid than any of the recent MDX's AND the interior isn't even close between the two. The MDX seats are a bit more squishy... but otherwise it feels kind of flimsy in comparison. Heck the doors on the MDX didn't even want to close without slamming them. So yes... there is a premium but if you're going to keep the car a while I don't know it's as crazy as it may seem initially + Audi offers some crazy long optional warranties if you're worried about it. What we did was get a CPO'd Q5 to take advantage of the depreciation and got a crazy long practically bumper to bumper warranty. Seems like the best of all worlds and so far so good.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I drove a new Q7 4 cylinder that I could buy for $60k and I drove a new 2022 MDX I could buy for $60k. I thought the Q7 was by far the better value. It also felt faster and quieter. Regarding maintenance being more? Yes.... it has double the transmission services, the tires are expensive, and the brakes aren't cheap. With that said the only remotely common problems I've heard people complain about with them are: squealing brakes, slight water pump leaks leading to early replacement but never major issues, and infotainment can be a pain to update if over the air doesn't seem to work. Despite looking, I saw no complaints of engines failing, transmissions failing, or people getting stranded by their Q7. We were also looking at the new GLE's and THOSE were a nightmare - lots of stranded people with 600 miles on the car. It was of course our favorite to drive though. Frankly to me the Q7 seemed like the "smartest" choice of all the cars we'd looked at.

Sadly (and I am sad about it) it seems more solid than any of the recent MDX's AND the interior isn't even close between the two. The MDX seats are a bit more squishy... but otherwise it feels kind of flimsy in comparison. Heck the doors on the MDX didn't even want to close without slamming them. So yes... there is a premium but if you're going to keep the car a while I don't know it's as crazy as it may seem initially + Audi offers some crazy long optional warranties if you're worried about it. What we did was get a CPO'd Q5 to take advantage of the depreciation and got a crazy long practically bumper to bumper warranty. Seems like the best of all worlds and so far so good.
As far as 2019 and 2020 3rd gen mdx, there hasn't been widespread issues with engines failing, transmissions failing and drivers left stranded. With all the complaints about the ZF9 in the 3rd gen there was only the 2016 and some 2017's that had issues with transmission failures that had to be replaced. By 2018 those major transmission issues were gone. Yes there are still some complaints about shifting behavior but those have nothing to do with a faulty transmission that will fail and leave the owner stranded on the roadway. The 2022 4th gen is a different story since it's a completely new vehicle.

Definitely won't argue with you that the Q7 is a more luxurious and nicer vehicle then the MDX (either 3rd or 4th gen) and has much better reliability compared to MDX, although to be fair to Acura a lot of the reliability complaints with the MDX outside of the earlier transmission failure issues, have to deal with relatively minor things such as not knowing how to use the infotainment system, body hardware (door buttons) not working that need to be replaced (but are simple and not complicated repairs), etc. That's one area where Consumer Reports could do better when grading for reliability. Major things like engines or transmissions needing to be replaced, or leaving owners stranded, and major electrical gremlins that are difficult to troubleshoot and very expensive to repair should have a much higher weight then relatively minor simple quick and uncomplicated fixes that are cosmetic or have to deal with users not liking something but isn't technically a defect. There should be a difference between not liking how the infotainment system was designed for example because it's difficult to use, and one that doesn't work according to design due to defects.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As far as 2019 and 2020 3rd gen mdx, there hasn't been widespread issues with engines failing, transmissions failing and drivers left stranded. With all the complaints about the ZF9 in the 3rd gen there was only the 2016 and some 2017's that had issues with transmission failures that had to be replaced. By 2018 those major transmission issues were gone. Yes there are still some complaints about shifting behavior but those have nothing to do with a faulty transmission that will fail and leave the owner stranded on the roadway. The 2022 4th gen is a different story since it's a completely new vehicle.

Definitely won't argue with you that the Q7 is a more luxurious and nicer vehicle then the MDX (either 3rd or 4th gen) and has much better reliability compared to MDX, although to be fair to Acura a lot of the reliability complaints with the MDX outside of the earlier transmission failure issues, have to deal with relatively minor things such as not knowing how to use the infotainment system, body hardware (door buttons) not working that need to be replaced (but are simple and not complicated repairs), etc. That's one area where Consumer Reports could do better when grading for reliability. Major things like engines or transmissions needing to be replaced, or leaving owners stranded, and major electrical gremlins that are difficult to troubleshoot and very expensive to repair should have a much higher weight then relatively minor simple quick and uncomplicated fixes that are cosmetic or have to deal with users not liking something but isn't technically a defect. There should be a difference between not liking how the infotainment system was designed for example because it's difficult to use, and one that doesn't work according to design due to defects.
Preaching to choir regarding Consumer Reports. I actually agree the MDX is likely more reliable than they state and that most of them are minor. With that said - I've for sure seen some people livid about Acura and reliability and even worse about how Acura treated them posted on Facebook. Suprised me. Almost sounded like Acura tried to deny something major could even break.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Preaching to choir regarding Consumer Reports. I actually agree the MDX is likely more reliable than they state and that most of them are minor. With that said - I've for sure seen some people livid about Acura and reliability and even worse about how Acura treated them posted on Facebook. Suprised me. Almost sounded like Acura tried to deny something major could even break.
Dealer experience with Acura isn't particularly great, even Infiniti has much better dealer experience. No question audi and other luxury brands likely have a much better dealer experience

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dealer experience with Acura isn't particularly great, even Infiniti has much better dealer experience. No question audi and other luxury brands likely have a much better dealer experience

Yeah... maybe. There are plenty of folks who complain about their Audi dealer too...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yeah... maybe. There are plenty of folks who complain about their Audi dealer too...
Yeah, i've heard that particularly around the squeaking brake issue on the Q7 and other models. In general however I was saying that there's a difference between dealer experience (for maintenance/repairs) at a luxury dealership and an entry level luxury dealership like Acura/Infiniti. Which is somewhat ironic considering that most luxury vehicles (BMW, Mercedes, some Audi, etc) have much worse reliability then Acura/Infiniti, and are much more prone to experience major issues that require you to visit the dealership more frequently. Perhaps that's part of their plan, they recognize you're likely to spend more time there so they try to make the experience as nice as they can so you forget you're always in for repairs.

It seems as though dealer experience with Acura is even a step below your typical entry level luxury (like Infiniti, etc) and is much more similar to what you'd expect at a Honda dealer, not what you'd expect from a "luxury" car. As with everything not all dealerships are created equal. The main issues I've heard specific to Acura are around the dealer or Acura refusing to diagnose or fix an issue, or even recognize an item you're complaining about as being a problem at all (that's the way it is on all MDX's for example without even looking into the issue).

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts
After a long TERRIBLE drawn out experience dealing with Acura, I FINALLY after nearly a week of calling, got word my transmission is done for on my 2022 MDX with 550 miles. My advice to anyone is too stay away this company! I have had not one positive thing to say at this point! They have ordered a new transmission and find it acceptable to give me a 2020 ( not cleaned ) to drive around and expect me to be satisfied by this, well I am not! No sympathy, not a care in the world, they couldn’t get me off the phone fast enough! SAVE YOUR MONEY PEOPLE! Go elsewhere!
Major oooooof. Have you dealt with Nissan USA yet? Be glad Honda (Acura) is taking care of you with the warranty! Come back and then trash talk about Honda/Acura once you deal with Nissan USA; me and my little brother nearly died in my parents 2019 deathbox with not even a month of ownership, and Nissan didn't bother nor gave jack about our lives and didn't bother to fix the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I don't know. I have given up on VW/Audi. I have owned two of their cars now (I am a fool) for 10+ years and both have been nothing but problems once they got past 100K (call it planned obsolesce). I had a 2003 honda accord with 280K, barely any issues. Most the VW/Audi were electronic issues and random stuff, ignition locks, steering wheel clock springs, radiator expansion pump, door locks failing, headliner failing, vacuum pump leaking oil (all common issues you will find across VW/Audi models from the past). Knock on wood never had any engine or transmission issues, but everything else basically feel apart around the cars. Basically anything made from plastic of course didn't last and left me stranded or unable to start the vehicle. The initial first years are trouble free, but there is a reason once they fall out of warranty they depreciate fast because everything starts falling apart and everything is a nightmare to work on or replace. $30 ignition lock part, $800 in labor quoted from dealer to replace. Basically the gist of any VW/Audi repair. Also my friend has brand new Q5 and is already having to replace tires at 25K with no alignment issues. But that is tire issue, not Audi's fault (well maybe if they cheapen out on sourcing tires).

I personally own my cars at least 10+ years, I am never taking that chance again on VW/Audi no matter how nice it is. The Japanese follow KISS, keep it simple stupid. Defn not the flashiest but good enough for my needs. The difference between Acura and Honda dealer is basically nill though, it doesn't feel like a premium experience at all. If the Pilot (ugly bloated marshmallow) looked like the MDX, I would have defn gotten that instead.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It seems as though dealer experience with Acura is even a step below your typical entry level luxury (like Infiniti, etc) and is much more similar to what you'd expect at a Honda dealer, not what you'd expect from a "luxury" car. As with everything not all dealerships are created equal. The main issues I've heard specific to Acura are around the dealer or Acura refusing to diagnose or fix an issue, or even recognize an item you're complaining about as being a problem at all (that's the way it is on all MDX's for example without even looking into the issue).
Yeah guess that kind of explains my failed initial test drive of the 2022 MDX. I made an appointment with a salesman. Got there on time. Salesman didn’t show. Other sales folks asked me to wait around because “he should get to work soon”. I left instead after waiting longer than I should have. Zero follow up from the guy I had the appointment with despite his coworkers calling him while I was sitting there waiting. Appointment with Audi and MB had the car cleaned and pulled in front awaiting my arrival. Pretty big difference in experience.

I don't know. I have given up on VW/Audi. I have owned two of their cars now (I am a fool) for 10+ years and both have been nothing but problems once they got past 100K (call it planned obsolesce). I had a 2003 honda accord with 280K, barely any issues. Most the VW/Audi were electronic issues and random stuff, ignition locks, steering wheel clock springs, radiator expansion pump, door locks failing, headliner failing, vacuum pump leaking oil (all common issues you will find across VW/Audi models from the past). Knock on wood never had any engine or transmission issues, but everything else basically feel apart around the cars. Basically anything made from plastic of course didn't last and left me stranded or unable to start the vehicle. The initial first years are trouble free, but there is a reason once they fall out of warranty they depreciate fast because everything starts falling apart and everything is a nightmare to work on or replace. $30 ignition lock part, $800 in labor quoted from dealer to replace. Basically the gist of any VW/Audi repair. Also my friend has brand new Q5 and is already having to replace tires at 25K with no alignment issues. But that is tire issue, not Audi's fault (well maybe if they cheapen out on sourcing tires).

I personally own my cars at least 10+ years, I am never taking that chance again on VW/Audi no matter how nice it is. The Japanese follow KISS, keep it simple stupid. Defn not the flashiest but good enough for my needs. The difference between Acura and Honda dealer is basically nill though, it doesn't feel like a premium experience at all. If the Pilot (ugly bloated marshmallow) looked like the MDX, I would have defn gotten that instead.
You’re not wrong, but I’m not so convinced that anyone outside of Toyota / Lexus are still making simple reliable cars anymore. To be fair my n52 e90 has been really great for the 10+ years I’ve had it. I was scared to buy it but went against my better judgement… thankfully it’s treated me great. Hopefully this Audi is good, though have a few very minor things to get looked at - I expected that though. It does have a TON of room to work in the engine bay. Big car, tiny engine.

Our Pilot has really soured me on Honda. VCM pretty much destroyed my perception of Honda. The 2022 MDX was tempting until I drove it and tried messing with that infotainment system. Just wasn’t all there or wasn’t for me or maybe both. They’ve gotta be insane if they think that TrueTouch system is going to demo well and sell cars. If I was selling (Audi, bmw, MB, Chevy, Kia, etc) against it I’d just point out how difficult the Acura system is to use in comparison to any touch screen. Overall just wasn’t impressed at all… and I really truly wanted to be. My wife and I almost just preordered it because it seemed so perfect on paper and in reviews... and then just disappointment. Oh well. Fingers crossed VW/Audi treat me well.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts