Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
I think the point is there's really no bad choice between the q7 (which is a fine vehicle with better reliability according to consumer reports) and the mdx.

There are pros and cons to each, and it's subjective for each person as to what attributes they value most.

No doubt the q7 is a true luxury car with much better fit and finish compared to the mdx. It's not really close.

Ignoring the potential up front cost differences (which may be negligible if you can get a steal of a deal on a q7) and overall reliability, over the long run the audi will cost more to maintain hands down. Imported German parts are much more expensive than the Us/canada/Mexico parts found in the mdx. Dealer charges will be lower for Acura then audi.

The q7 has a lot of cool technology like virtual cockpit, but to use much of that tech you have to pay a fairly pricey audi connect subscription. You can use all the tech on the mdx without having to pay an acuralink subscription, which even if you chose to do is still much less expensive than audi connect.

Lastly as was mentioned the q7 likely has greater depreciation and lower resale value then the mdx.

Overall they're both great vehicles and you can't make a wrong choice. It all boils down to what you value most. If you want the nicest vehicle of the 2 and aren't concerned about overall cost of ownership then its q7. If you want the vehicle with the best value and lower cost of ownership long term, then it's the mdx.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will either opt for a used 2020/2021 Q7 which has already depreciated a bit so I can set aside the monies for future repairs or bite the bullet and buy MDX at MSRP. I really liked the A-SPec but it doesnt have Surround View (I dont know if I really need it or not) for which I have to upgrade to Advance but am not fond of the colors on offer nor the price. Tough choice.

·
Registered
159 Posts
+1. Sounds like you've got a sensible plan. Of course, you could take my route and get one of each!;) Just kidding. In any event, I wish you well with whichever of these fine vehicles you end up buying, and hope to see you posting here or at Audiworld.com in the future. Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
As an owner of both vehicles (2020s), each of which I bought (not leased) and plan to have for a long time, my vote is for the Q7. IMO, the Q's driving dynamics, tech features, fit and finish and dealer support trump the MDX. The Q is a true upscale luxury SUV, and while the MDX is no dog, the Q is quicker and is more in tune with my driving style.

FWIW, I negotiated a purchase price that was nearly 20 percent off the Q7's MSRP, so in fact there is not much difference, cost-wise, between my Prestige and Advance vehicles. Finally, I have had no warranty issues with the Q in over 15k miles since purchase, and have no worries about its overall reliability as a general proposition. (In contrast, I would not have much confidence in the reliability of a 2022 Advance, given Honda/Acura's issues with first model year designs.)

I realize the Q7's reliability comes at a price - it would be foolish to buy a such a vehicle, or an equivalent M-B or BMW model, if one is not aware of and willing to pay the premium in regular maintenance that is necessary to maintain it in top shape. To some extent I have mitigated that issue for the Q7 with a pre-paid maintenance plan I negotiated at purchase that covers the first 50k miles of regular maintenance.

Good luck with whichever choice you make. Except for the potential for first year model hiccups with the MDX, you should be ok with either vehicle, whether leasing or buying.
The problem with the Audi is going to hit when the warranty expires. They are hugely expensive to maintain and even aftermarket parts are vastly more expensive. They make jokes about German cars and their $1,000 oil changes, but if you maintain the vehicle by the book and perform all the required and recommended maintenance, that's about what it works out to. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
That's right. My friend's X5 repair bills, outside of maintenance, started out around $2k-$3k a year. Now it's about $5k a year. Most cars can run forever if owners are willing to repair them forever. I know she quit to do that. Think about how many stuff you can buy with those good money.

I DIY-ed almost all the jobs in my MDX. Only sent the car to dealer for timing belt service for $1100. I spent $250 on a radiator, $80 on drive belt and tensioner and idler, $100 on TPMS. $40 for replacement HID bulbs. $100 on OEM replacement brake pads, 1 air fuel ratio sensor for $100, $40 for 6 NGK factory spec plugs, $20 for hood struts. The others are just fluids and filters, routine stuff. I did valve adjustment myself. Next time I shall do the TB myself. To me MDX cost me almost nothing to maintain.

Can I do the same with German cars? No. First parts are expensive no matter what. Also they have a lot more computers inside. You really need to buy a fancy set of tools to debug them. I watched guys fixing German cars on YouTube. They hook scanners and oscilloscope to the cars, see the charts. Then go online to find a known good chart to compare using paid online service. After that, it's just removal and replacement. That's assuming you have a decent mechanic. A big if. It's really a 'different' mindset in making cars.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
The problem with the Audi is going to hit when the warranty expires. They are hugely expensive to maintain and even aftermarket parts are vastly more expensive. They make jokes about German cars and their $1,000 oil changes, but if you maintain the vehicle by the book and perform all the required and recommended maintenance, that's about what it works out to. I speak from experience.
I agree with you, and as I wrote in my quoted post, no one should be foolish enough to buy an Audi, M-B or BMW (or even a corresponding Brit brand, such as the Range Rover) for the long term without taking maintenance costs into account and having the financial wherewithal to pay for them. While German parts generally are more expensive than those for equivalent Asian or domestic vehicles, the overall cost of maintenance can be mitigated somewhat by using a reputable indy shop instead of the dealer post-warranty.

I guess it all depends on what's important to the owner. In addition to Acuras and Toyotas, I've owned Audis, BMWs and M-Bs. I like the driving dynamics, safety features and tech content of European cars, so I'm willing to put up with the additional costs of maintaining them. If my sole criterion was cost of ownership, I probably would have opted for a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, two fine and reliable cars.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
That's right. My friend's X5 repair bills, outside of maintenance, started out around $2k-$3k a year. Now it's about $5k a year. Most cars can run forever if owners are willing to repair them forever. I know she quit to do that. Think about how many stuff you can buy with those good money.

I DIY-ed almost all the jobs in my MDX. Only sent the car to dealer for timing belt service for $1100. I spent $250 on a radiator, $80 on drive belt and tensioner and idler, $100 on TPMS. $40 for replacement HID bulbs. $100 on OEM replacement brake pads, 1 air fuel ratio sensor for $100, $40 for 6 NGK factory spec plugs, $20 for hood struts. The others are just fluids and filters, routine stuff. I did valve adjustment myself. Next time I shall do the TB myself. To me MDX cost me almost nothing to maintain.

Can I do the same with German cars? No. First parts are expensive no matter what. Also they have a lot more computers inside. You really need to buy a fancy set of tools to debug them. I watched guys fixing German cars on YouTube. They hook scanners and oscilloscope to the cars, see the charts. Then go online to find a known good chart to compare using paid online service. After that, it's just removal and replacement. That's assuming you have a decent mechanic. A big if. It's really a 'different' mindset in making cars.

And I don't think German car design is superior. They can be just complicated, expensive and bad. For example, TPMS sensor. MDX has wires near the sensor to pick up the signals. So you don't need special tools to register each sensor to the control module. Just replace the sensors and everything is done. In those BMWs, there's no wires. A receiving unit under the car pick up the signals from all four wheels. To prevent signal mix-up,each sensor need to be registered to the computer in charge of TPMS. That's cash register singing. Also they don't put the processing unit inside the car, instead it is located in the trunk. Many got rain damage. But that's how it gets 50-50 weight distribution. I don't buy German cars because I won't design a car like that if I am in charge.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I never said or implied German car design is inherently superior. I did say that I preferred the driving dynamics and other features I mentioned of the German luxury cars I've owned.

I agree that if you are a DIYer, recent model Germans and other true luxury vehicles probably would not be your first choice to own long term. A reputable dealer or independent shop probably would be your best bet in such a case. Similarly, if total cost of ownership is extremely important, you might want to consider only a Toyota or other Asian brand that is inexpensive to buy and cheap to maintain.

The point is it all comes down to whatever the buyer subjectively considers to be most important criteria to him or her, within the budget for acquiring and maintaining the vehicle. I hope you would agree with that general proposition. If not, perhaps we can just agree to disagree. Cheers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
OP: If you are in 60K range, check out MB GLE 350 it is a 5 seater (not sure you must have 7 seater).
Turbo 4cyl is 56K and Turbo V6 is 63K.

My 2016 GLE350 I bought last year CPO is flawless. Not one issue in almost a year (and that's a 5 year old car).
MB engineering is definitely better when I look at breaks and various mechanical parts.
I would NOT discount MB due to reliability concerns (W166 platform that GLE is built on is much more reliable than general MB reputation).
Ride quality ( road noise, materials, graphics) much better in MB.
BTW: I have towed a 6000 lb trailer for 2500+ miles and still not a problem.
This is from an owner of 2019 MDX Hybrid that I bought brand new, so I have experience with both brands.

PS: I keep my cars for long. I am of the opinion not to by MB brand new. Off lease 2-3 year old are best bargains (almost 50% off original).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’d go Q7. The MDX just isn’t close. Honda reliability has taken a nose dive and their parts arent exactly cheap either. Log on the oem parts sites and compare things like starters, alternators, water pumps, etc. I think most would be surprised. Where the Audi is more expensive is at the dealership labor. THAT does cost more… but it’s the labor, not the parts. Find a good independent shop and go Q7. Also the Q7 has a nice ZF trans that are known to be bulletproof and used in 1/2 the rwd cars on the market. MDX? Yeah… Honda’s latest FWD setup. I know where I’d bet my money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And I don't think German car design is superior. They can be just complicated, expensive and bad. For example, TPMS sensor. MDX has wires near the sensor to pick up the signals. So you don't need special tools to register each sensor to the control module. Just replace the sensors and everything is done. In those BMWs, there's no wires. A receiving unit under the car pick up the signals from all four wheels. To prevent signal mix-up,each sensor need to be registered to the computer in charge of TPMS. That's cash register singing. Also they don't put the processing unit inside the car, instead it is located in the trunk. Many got rain damage. But that's how it gets 50-50 weight distribution. I don't buy German cars because I won't design a car like that if I am in charge.

…. And if you buy a Q7 it uses the wheel speed sensors to detect a tire going flat and you can forget about all the tpms bs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need to get a car this week. I like the new MDX but am annoyed by the limited color schemes. Wanted blue but inside there is no ebony option. The parchment is not for me and the grey is more odyssey like. I like the Blue A Spec with black seats but that’s putting me around 60K on the road range if not higher….which is almost how much Q7 premium with convenience package costs. I feel Audi rides better and is in general more luxurious than Acura but I know MDX maybe cheaper to maintain long term.
Any feedback on which car to get if prices are within 3-4K of each other?
Beware of the MDX! I have mine in the shop already after only 550 miles and 2 weeks of ownership! I had the worst customer service experience of my life trying to get it towed after breaking down on a major highway. It is going on a week and still no diagnosis!
PS I believe it is the transmission!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Beware of the MDX! I have mine in the shop already after only 550 miles and 2 weeks of ownership! I had the worst customer service experience of my life trying to get it towed after breaking down on a major highway. It is going on a week and still no diagnosis!
Ouch!Hope they get it sorted out ASAP for ya. Don’t forget lemon laws if it comes to it….I don’t think your experience is “common”… at least I sure hope not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After a long TERRIBLE drawn out experience dealing with Acura, I FINALLY after nearly a week of calling, got word my transmission is done for on my 2022 MDX with 550 miles. My advice to anyone is too stay away this company! I have had not one positive thing to say at this point! They have ordered a new transmission and find it acceptable to give me a 2020 ( not cleaned ) to drive around and expect me to be satisfied by this, well I am not! No sympathy, not a care in the world, they couldn’t get me off the phone fast enough! SAVE YOUR MONEY PEOPLE! Go elsewhere!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi Folks, so an A-Spec was available at a dealership and I was tempted so went and test drove. I had driven all last month so I 'forgot' how MDX drove and so wanted to check out one last time before buying. I have to say I was underwhelmed by the whole experience. It drives no better than Fit or Odyssey. Cabin and digital panels were all good but completed my test drive thinking how light/airy/gimmicky the entire car is for the price we are paying. The steering was too responsive. The salesman told me this is because of the double wishbone suspension. Anyways, I would only consider this vehicle in the future if each trim is 8k-10k lower than what they are selling for presently.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
buy MDX at MSRP
Why would you pay msrp for an MDX? You can almost certainly get one for well under msrp either by dealing with a dealer via their internet sales or by using a buying service such as offered by Costco, AAA, and others. If you can't find any dealer anywhere willing to sell for less then it's not really a good time to buy the particular vehicle and it's best to wait.

I bought my 2014 MDX when the 3rd gen was new and the color I wanted (blue) was difficult to find at the time yet I was able to manage a good deal under msrp via the internet sales channel. Some dealers wouldn't deal below msrp so I simply didn't buy from them and bought from a dealer who would deal. I haven't purchased from an actual floor salesperson and gone through that rigmarole in a long time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
mdxstang, that's correct, new model plus chip shortage plus lack of used inventory of the redesigned model is making dealers not budge from MSRP. If we wait prices will drop, I am just commenting on current market conditions.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
WOW, is it common? Speechless. Maybe have to buy a Toyota/Lexus nowadays. The next gen RX seems not that ugly anymore.

·
Registered
395 Posts
After a long TERRIBLE drawn out experience dealing with Acura, I FINALLY after nearly a week of calling, got word my transmission is done for on my 2022 MDX with 550 miles. My advice to anyone is too stay away this company! I have had not one positive thing to say at this point! They have ordered a new transmission and find it acceptable to give me a 2020 ( not cleaned ) to drive around and expect me to be satisfied by this, well I am not! No sympathy, not a care in the world, they couldn’t get me off the phone fast enough! SAVE YOUR MONEY PEOPLE! Go elsewhere!
Be grateful you have a warranty, that your car is being fixed for free, AND you are not without a car. Given how much demand there is for the 2022 MDX, dealers will make more money selling them than keeping them as loaner vehicles. Seems like Acura is fixing the problem for you so you'll be able to enjoy your car again soon enough!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Be grateful you have a warranty, that your car is being fixed for free, AND you are not without a car. Given how much demand there is for the 2022 MDX, dealers will make more money selling them than keeping them as loaner vehicles. Seems like Acura is fixing the problem for you so you'll be able to enjoy your car again soon enough!
Are you kidding? Why should he be grateful for having warranty for a brand new car? Even the cheapest new car has it.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts