Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a car this week. I like the new MDX but am annoyed by the limited color schemes. Wanted blue but inside there is no ebony option. The parchment is not for me and the grey is more odyssey like. I like the Blue A Spec with black seats but that’s putting me around 60K on the road range if not higher….which is almost how much Q7 premium with convenience package costs. I feel Audi rides better and is in general more luxurious than Acura but I know MDX maybe cheaper to maintain long term.
Any feedback on which car to get if prices are within 3-4K of each other?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Are you buying or leasing? Planning to keep over the long haul or only for a few years? Is total cost of ownership (including maintenance and repairs) /or reliability important? What about initial quality?

Then there's resale value if you trade in or lease buy back. Depending on answers you could go either way Depending on what's most important to you.

If money were no object then I'd probably go with the q7, it's a much nicer vehicle and if you won't keep it outside of warranty then higher maintenance costs probably won't hurt you. If you will get rid of it in a few years then look at resale value and or lease return value.

If keeping for the long haul, and cost of repairs/parts outside of warranty are important then the mdx. Fit and finish in the mdx won't be as nice as the audi but repairs, maintenance and parts will be much less expensive

FWIW I had same dilemma when I bought my vehicle in 2018 and ended up getting a 2019 3rd gen MDX instead of the Q7. Overall I've been satisfied with my purchase and don't have any regrets.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am buying and planning to keep for the long term. Have never leased before so although I have an idea I won’t know if I’m getting a good deal or not.

I was hoping comparable MDX to be 10K less than Audi but am just not seeing that difference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Load up an MDX and match it with same items the Audi is, no way are you 3-4k apart, more like 10k+
go drive them both and choose the one that makes you 😎

·
Registered
688 Posts
Other thing to consider is whether you plan on using integrated navigation at all. Acura uses HD radio for free lifetime traffic, where audi you have a pricey subscription to pay.

Also in the Acura, even if you use Android auto, the turn by turn guidance will appear both in the instrument cluster and HUD, while in the audi that's reserved only for audi navigation meaning again a subscription.

Ultimately that was one of the main things that tilted the deck towards the Acura for me. That and the cost. By the time you factor in all the safety features you have to get into the top q7 to get comparable safety features that come with the mdx

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
As an owner of both vehicles (2020s), each of which I bought (not leased) and plan to have for a long time, my vote is for the Q7. IMO, the Q's driving dynamics, tech features, fit and finish and dealer support trump the MDX. The Q is a true upscale luxury SUV, and while the MDX is no dog, the Q is quicker and is more in tune with my driving style.

FWIW, I negotiated a purchase price that was nearly 20 percent off the Q7's MSRP, so in fact there is not much difference, cost-wise, between my Prestige and Advance vehicles. Finally, I have had no warranty issues with the Q in over 15k miles since purchase, and have no worries about its overall reliability as a general proposition. (In contrast, I would not have much confidence in the reliability of a 2022 Advance, given Honda/Acura's issues with first model year designs.)

I realize the Q7's reliability comes at a price - it would be foolish to buy a such a vehicle, or an equivalent M-B or BMW model, if one is not aware of and willing to pay the premium in regular maintenance that is necessary to maintain it in top shape. To some extent I have mitigated that issue for the Q7 with a pre-paid maintenance plan I negotiated at purchase that covers the first 50k miles of regular maintenance.

Good luck with whichever choice you make. Except for the potential for first year model hiccups with the MDX, you should be ok with either vehicle, whether leasing or buying.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gomez and Gen4Advance. The best deals for on the road pricing I got today was MDX Tech for 58K, A Spec for 61k, Q7 Premium for 64K and Premium Plus for 69K. I think the advanced is touching 65K, so as you can see its closer to Premium with Convenience Package. Very confusing. I agree Q7 drives so much better but I have only ever driven Japanese cars and am little spooked about maintenance costs. Let's see if later this week there are better deals to be had now that memorial day rush is over.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Compare MSRP to MSRP not what you “think” you can buy it for. MDX Advance is right at $62k

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I bought an MDX (2007) 15 years ago new and it still drives like new. A close friend bought an two years old X5 four years later, and she had to get rid of it recently because she no longer can afford the repair bills. If you want to keep it really long, be realistic.

Also the cost of normal use is very different. I only compare the tires and the cost of Q7 can be several times more. An upper level Q7 has 275 tires. For that size, there's no all season tires. (Maybe I am wrong). Also users complain a lot that those 275 tires last two years. I guess this is a tip of an iceberg.

Also I drove the super charged Q7 and hybrid MDX two years ago. The MDX drove much better. Q7 has more HP, but it is very heavy. Feels very slow.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gen4Advance, I was giving out the On the Road pricing including taxes that I received. Dealers are not budging on MDX but are giving aggressive discounts on Q7.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Q7 are discounted because a lot of people with that budget will buy Tesla. In th SF bay area I live, the German cars are really hurt by Tesla. Budget sensitive consumers still stay away from Tesla. Also now 4th gen MDX is new while Q7 is quite old as to model year.

If you really care about price, you should get MDX. If you have a lot money to spend, why bother arguing how close prices are.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought an MDX (2007) 15 years ago new and it still drives like new. A close friend bought an two years old X5 four years later, and she had to get rid of it recently because she no longer can afford the repair bills. If you want to keep it really long, be realistic.

Also the cost of normal use is very different. I only compare the tires and the cost of Q7 can be several times more. An upper level Q7 has 275 tires. For that size, there's no all season tires. (Maybe I am wrong). Also users complain a lot that those 275 tires last two years. I guess this is a tip of an iceberg.

Also I drove the super charged Q7 and hybrid MDX two years ago. The MDX drove much better. Q7 has more HP, but it is very heavy. Feels very slow.
With respect, I'm not sure where you get your information regarding Q7's or German vehicles generally.

1. My 2020 Q7 Prestige has Pirelli All-Season Tires (so you're wrong about that). For 2010 - 2021 model years, such tires were/are available in 275/45-20 as well as 285/45-21 size (in my case). Just so you know, my 2020 Advance also has all-season tires in 265/45-20 (you can check standard sizes and all-season availability for Q7s and MDX models if you wish on tirerack.com)
2. Your anecdotal evidence that "many complain that 275 size tires only last 2 years" is unsupported by any "facts". I guess if you drove over-the-road 50 weeks of the year, you might rack up enough mileage to require replacement tires, but if you look up UTQG ratings for 275 sized all-season tires (or 265 for that matter) at tirerack.com, you'll see that the "2 year cliff" of which you speak is non-existent.
3. While your other comments about the driving dynamics of the MDX vs. the supercharged Q7 you drove 2 years ago seem subjective, that's ok, as car buying and owning is a subjective experience. However, you should test drive a 2020 or 2021 Q7, which are now turbocharged (2019 was the last year for supercharging) - you might find a different driving experience.
4. Finally, having lived myself for many years in the San Fran Bay Area, I think I'm entitled to say it is a very parochial bubble existence that does not travel well to other parts of the country. Your claim of why Q7s are discounted likely is confined to that small locale and your own experience. My experience is that Q7s and other vehicles (including other German vehicles) are discounted when the dealers selling same wish to "move the metal". Honda/Acura dealers are no different, even in San Fran.

·
Registered
159 Posts
With respect, I'm not sure where you get your information regarding Q7's or German vehicles generally.

1. My 2020 Q7 Prestige has Pirelli All-Season Tires (so you're wrong about that). For 2010 - 2021 model years, such tires were/are available in 275/45-20 as well as 285/45-21 size (in my case). Just so you know, my 2020 Advance also has all-season tires in 265/45-20 (you can check standard sizes and all-season availability for Q7s and MDX models if you wish on tirerack.com)
2. Your anecdotal evidence that "many complain that 275 size tires only last 2 years" is unsupported by any "facts". I guess if you drove over-the-road 50 weeks of the year, you might rack up enough mileage to require replacement tires, but if you look up UTQG ratings for 275 sized all-season tires (or 265 for that matter) at tirerack.com, you'll see that the "2 year cliff" of which you speak is non-existent.
3. While your other comments about the driving dynamics of the MDX vs. the supercharged Q7 you drove 2 years ago seem subjective, that's ok, as car buying and owning is a subjective experience. However, you should test drive a 2020 or 2021 Q7, which are now turbocharged (2019 was the last year for supercharging) - you might find a different driving experience.
4. Finally, having lived myself for many years in the San Fran Bay Area, I think I'm entitled to say it is a very parochial bubble existence that does not travel well to other parts of the country. Your claim of why Q7s are discounted likely is confined to that small locale and your own experience. My experience is that Q7s and other vehicles (including other German vehicles) are discounted when the dealers selling same wish to "move the metal". Honda/Acura dealers are no different, even in San Fran.
Second sentence should be "For 2019 - 2021 model years". Darn autocorrect!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Q7 are discounted because a lot of people with that budget will buy Tesla. In th SF bay area I live, the German cars are really hurt by Tesla. Budget sensitive consumers still stay away from Tesla. Also now 4th gen MDX is new while Q7 is quite old as to model year.

If you really care about price, you should get MDX. If you have a lot money to spend, why bother arguing how close prices are.

Thanks to Elon M.'s eccentric plans and ideas, Tesla is now the leading electric vehicle brand. Not Toyota Primus or Honda No-Clarity car. Tesla 3 that is.

Germans took notice a bit late, when plug-in electric cars sales in Europe virtually skyrocketed in 2019-2020. Tesla 3 came in second in recent sales reports.

All major car manufacturers are gearing up to switch to plug-in electric vehicles. Some exclusively, others, like Honda, are more conservative.

Looking for next MDX "Hybrid"? Instead, look for MDX EV by 2024

To me, shopping for 50K plus vehicle hardly qualifies as budget sensitive. Simply a matter of choosing a vehicle within your price range that ticks off the most points on your shopping list.

·
Registered
961 Posts

4. Finally, having lived myself for many years in the San Fran Bay Area, I think I'm entitled to say it is a very parochial bubble existence that does not travel well to other parts of the country.
Californication = Electrification + Taxation - Tesla moving to Texas 😜

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Thanks to Elon M.'s eccentric plans and ideas, Tesla is now the leading electric vehicle brand. Not Toyota Primus or Honda No-Clarity car. Tesla 3 that is.

Germans took notice a bit late, when plug-in electric cars sales in Europe virtually skyrocketed in 2019-2020. Tesla 3 came in second in recent sales reports.

All major car manufacturers are gearing up to switch to plug-in electric vehicles. Some exclusively, others, like Honda, are more conservative.

Looking for next MDX "Hybrid"? Instead, look for MDX EV by 2024

To me, shopping for 50K plus vehicle hardly qualifies as budget sensitive. Simply a matter of choosing a vehicle within your price range that ticks off the most points on your shopping list.
A 60k German car is a lot more expensive than a 60k Honda or Toyota. The overall ownership cost matters. A hybrid MDX is much more desirable to me than a MDX EV. I really hope Acura can bring back the hybrid version.

Reactions: elvisfan

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Watching TV now, and this is interesting.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts
OP, I suggest getting the MDX over the Q7 not just because I have a positive bias towards Honda. We did look at CPO Q7, while cross-shopping an Accord, MDX, X3, X5, Q5, RX, and Passport last year, that is literally the current model year or a year old, but the depreciation on it was like $10k to $15k. The Audi is best for leasing, not owning, especially brand new. That Q7 is technically a VW Atlas if you look at it. The Q8 is the cheaper version of the Lambo Urus and the expensive version of the Atlas Sport.

Reactions: sacanada

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Q7 is technically a VW Atlas if you look at it. The Q8 is the cheaper version of the Lambo Urus and the expensive version of the Atlas Sport.
Tech-data-man, your lack of knowledge reflected by your comment is remarkable. The current generation of the Q7 (the "4M") is the second generation of that vehicle, and was introduced in 2015 as a 2016 model. The Atlas followed the Q7, its first model year being 2019, making it very difficult to say that the Q7 is "technically" a VW Atlas. In addition, the Atlas rides on an entirely different platform than the Q7. The only similarity between the vehicles is that they each are manufactured by completely independent subsidiaries (Volkswagen and Audi, respectively) of the Volkswagen Group, one of, if not the, largest vehicle manufacturer in the world.

Your lumping of the Q8, Urus and Atlas Cross Sport together also is completely unfounded. Unlike the 3 row, seven passenger MDX and Q7 SUVs that the OP is considering, the Q8 and Urus are two row, five passenger vehicles. The Q8 and Urus are built on a completely different platform than the Q7 (or the Atlas, for that matter). There is one Q8 model, the RS Q8, that does share a common platform with the Urus, and thus is a close cousin of the Urus. It features a 591 HP turbocharged V8, ceramic brakes and other performance goodies similar to the Urus. Its fully optioned MSRP is approximately $143,000, so it's a tad less expensive than a fully optioned Urus. Except for the RS Q8, the Q8 is not similar in any substantive way to the Urus, except that each is produced by a independent subsidiary within the Volkswagen Group.

Finally, neither the Q8 nor the RS Q8 is a more expensive version of the "Atlas Sport". The only similarity between the VW Atlas Cross Sport and the Q8 is that each is a two row, five passenger SUV. However, the Atlas Cross Sport is manufactured by the Volkswagen subsidiary of the VW Group, not Audi. It came to the North American market in 2020 as a 2020 model, and it shares literally nothing with any of the Q8, RS Q8 or Urus models. For example, it rides on a different platform than the Q8/RS Q8/Urus, and has a 4 cylinder engine vs. the V8 in the Q8/RS Q8/Urus vehicles. In other words, it is something, as Monty Python used to say, that is "completely different".

Pro tip: it's clear you prefer Honda products, like the MDX that your parents bought for you. If you restrict your comments to things you know, you probably will not experience as much pushback as when you make comments about things of which you have no knowledge that are neither accurate nor helpful. Cheers.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts