Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
962 Posts
I saw this in the news today: https://twitter.com/search?q=tiger+woods+genesis+2021&ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^search

Aside from wishing T. Woods a speedy and full recovery from his injuries, I think it would be interesting to monitor how the events surrounding Genesis GV80 he was driving will unfold.
Sounds like Hyundai need to fix and resolve the issues on the GV80. Reasons like this is why I call bs on CR and JD Power for giving Genesis the most reliable brand award.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds like Hyundai need to fix and resolve the issues on the GV80. Reasons like this is why I call bs on CR and JD Power for giving Genesis the most reliable brand award.
Just stop. Evidently, you believe unspecified GV-80 "issues" caused, or were involved, in Tiger Woods' accident. This is being suggested even before the cause(s) of the mishap have been officially investigated and reported!

Apart from the fact that Woods indeed was driving a GV-80, could you tell us exactly what GV-80 "issues" you are referring to? It's one thing to prefer one vehicle over another; creating FUD is something completely different. Bottom line: as other posters have suggested, perhaps we all should wait for the facts of what happened before implying "issues" with the vehicle were the reason for the shunt.

BTW, I don't know if you've ever driven around the Pacific Palisades area of LA. If you have, you know it's very hilly, with narrow, twisty roads and very few guardrails (sort of like Mulholland Drive). When a driver misses a turn, the result often is a catastrophic drop off from a steep bank off the road.

From the news accounts I've read, Tiger is lucky to be alive. In addition to the CR and JD Powers assessments, the GV-80 is rated at the top of the IIHS safety ratings. For that reason, I tend to think the vehicle's active and passive safety features were responsible in some measure in Tiger surviving his accident. Here's to his speedy and complete recovery.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I glad Tiger survived the crash and the GV-80 did its job. Just hope it was just a case of driver's error and not being familiar with the driving dynamics of a new vehicle. I'm a little concerned about the both leg injuries he had in the GV-80 since I'm 6'3" and I think Tiger is around 6'1".

·
Registered
949 Posts
From the news accounts I've read, Tiger is lucky to be alive. In addition to the CR and JD Powers assessments, the GV-80 is rated at the top of the IIHS safety ratings. For that reason, I tend to think the vehicle's active and passive safety features were responsible in some measure in Tiger surviving his accident. Here's to his speedy and complete recovery.
IIHS does not have safety ratings for Genesis GV80 yet. Plus, rollover crash tests are not always conducted. Given the attention and the high profile of this accident, now I think there will be more attention paid to these. Follow the story on Twitter. Tiger was driving a press release vehicle provided by Genesis, so many replies are from them or are in direct response to their posts.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
962 Posts
Just stop. Evidently, you believe unspecified GV-80 "issues" caused, or were involved, in Tiger Woods' accident. This is being suggested even before the cause(s) of the mishap have been officially investigated and reported!

Apart from the fact that Woods indeed was driving a GV-80, could you tell us exactly what GV-80 "issues" you are referring to? It's one thing to prefer one vehicle over another; creating FUD is something completely different. Bottom line: as other posters have suggested, perhaps we all should wait for the facts of what happened before implying "issues" with the vehicle were the reason for the shunt.

BTW, I don't know if you've ever driven around the Pacific Palisades area of LA. If you have, you know it's very hilly, with narrow, twisty roads and very few guardrails (sort of like Mulholland Drive). When a driver misses a turn, the result often is a catastrophic drop off from a steep bank off the road.

Dude calm down. The GV80 is too new of a vehicle. The 2021 MY is the first MY of the new Genesis model. Hyundai still needs to work out the kinks of the GV80 since its still in the first model year. Even if its user error or vehicle error or part failure, there still needs to be a thorough investigation. In-addition, it was noted Tiger Woods sufferred leg injuries to both legs, which is a serious issue in itself. I still have a negative bias towards Hyundai after my family going through a horrific event in our Hyundai.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Just saw on the morning news and the entire front engine compartment of the GV-80 was ripped off in the crash. I don't think a MDX would have done much better in the same situation? Tiger is lucky to be alive and still have his legs after that crash.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dude calm down. The GV80 is too new of a vehicle. The 2021 MY is the first MY of the new Genesis model. Hyundai still needs to work out the kinks of the GV80 since its still in the first model year. Even if its user error or vehicle error or part failure, there still needs to be a thorough investigation. In-addition, it was noted Tiger Woods sufferred leg injuries to both legs, which is a serious issue in itself. I still have a negative bias towards Hyundai after my family going through a horrific event in our Hyundai.

What "kinks" are you referring to that make this car "too new" to be operated safely?

By your own logic nobody should be buying the 2022 MDX because it's too new and will crash because the "kinks" haven't been worked out yet.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
962 Posts
What "kinks" are you referring to that make this car "too new" to be operated safely?

By your own logic nobody should be buying the 2022 MDX because it's too new and will crash because the "kinks" haven't been worked out yet.
My point is the GV80 is a new model. The MDX is a first model year of a new generation.

I am not saying it will crash because of its parts. I am just bringing up the point its a new model, still in its first model year, where a person, in which this case is a well-known athlete, received injuries in the vehicle.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My point is the GV80 is a new model. The MDX is a first model year of a new generation.

I am not saying it will crash because of its parts. I am just bringing up the point its a new model, still in its first model year, where a person, in which this case is a well-known athlete, received injuries in the vehicle.
New generation = new model
22 MDX is on an all new platform, just like the Genesis

A rollover crash of that severity will cause injuries regardless of the car's newness

·
Registered
143 Posts
New generation = new model
22 MDX is on an all new platform, just like the Genesis

A rollover crash of that severity will cause injuries regardless of the car's newness
+1.

Recalling the great Muhammed Ali, "Let's stop the unfounded speculation and wait for the official investigation".

·
Registered
72 Posts
The gv80 is on my radar right now to replace my elderly parents 2010 mdx. The combination of luxury, drivers aids and safety are what attracts me to it. I’ve only been able to look at a demo gv80 but not drive it because covid restrictions are making things difficult and my local Genesis dealer at the time ran out of inventory and what they had on the lot were preorders or were quickly sold out.

One great concern I have for Hyundai/Kia products is their history for fires in the engine bay for known issues. Their vaunted 10 year warranty is useless if they won’t honor it. There is an ongoing class action lawsuit in the US against them, but it does not apply to Canada, although we too have had thousands of owners had their vehicles, and in some cases homes and garages burn because of the same problems. Having said this, there does not appear to be any fire related issues for vehicles under the Genesis brand in North America so far.

As for Tiger Woods, I’ve been watching post crash YouTube footage and I can’t imagine how fast he must have been going. The first tree he hit had parts of the front of the gv80 imbedded in it, and the second tree was completely shorn off near the base.

The engine was still in the car but it was shoved so deep into the firewall from the severity of the impact it was no surprise that he suffered such terrible leg injuries. Keep in mind that the gv80 uses a longitudinal driveline setup because it is a rear drive biased platform as well.

They keep saying it was a rollover, but there is minimal roof damage. Even the panoramic sunroof is unbroken? Someone in the comments said it looked more like it cartwheeled instead.

The IIHS schedule shows says their crash test results of the 2021 gv80 will be completed at the end of February this year. Just waiting to see what the results are in conjunction with the accident investigation comments...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, after test driving both and making comparisons across the board, the MDX won the day. While I was impressed with the GV80, I liked the MDX ride and handling better. Much of the GV80's tech was very impressive, but there was enough impressive tech in the MDX for my tastes. I like the GV80's warranty, but not the dealer experience or availability of dealerships throughout much of the country. After owning my other three MDXs, their collective stellar maintenance records is something I expect to carry through with the 2022.
Pricing wasn't a huge factor, but still, I couldn't justify to myself spending an extra 10K for a GV80 outfitted essentially the same as I have built the Acura. (I'll stick that extra 10k aside toward a new electric motorcycle!)
In any event, I'm sure I would have been happy with the GV80 as well. Thanks to all for your feedback throughout this thread. It's nice to have the honest opinions of "real" people when making these comparisons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, after test driving both and making comparisons across the board, the MDX won the day. While I was impressed with the GV80, I liked the MDX ride and handling better. Much of the GV80's tech was very impressive, but there was enough impressive tech in the MDX for my tastes. I like the GV80's warranty, but not the dealer experience or availability of dealerships throughout much of the country. After owning my other three MDXs, their collective stellar maintenance records is something I expect to carry through with the 2022.
Pricing wasn't a huge factor, but still, I couldn't justify to myself spending an extra 10K for a GV80 outfitted essentially the same as I have built the Acura. (I'll stick that extra 10k aside toward a new electric motorcycle!)
In any event, I'm sure I would have been happy with the GV80 as well. Thanks to all for your feedback throughout this thread. It's nice to have the honest opinions of "real" people when making these comparisons.
what gv80 did you test drive - v4 or v6?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will be in the market for a new vehicle in the next couple of month. While I have owned an MDX for 20 years (2001 and then 2010 models) the new Genesis GV80 has me looking around. Has anyone done a comparison of the two vehicles and have a recommendation? TIA.
I looked at both. Eliminated the GV80 and will buy the MDX or CX9. The reason I like the MDX better is very specific to my family needs. With three kids in car seats and the occasional need to take the five of us and my mother places the MDX setup is more family friendly.I don’t want to pay 65k for a car with a third row and the MDX has a much more family third row setup.If you could get a third row on a 55k GV80 I wouldn’t have eliminated it. It is a wonderful car but so is an MDX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We test drove the GV80 (V6) and MDX in A Spec trim and for us it wasn't even close. The GV80 felt like it was trying to be something it simply is not, like a poor man's Bentley or something. Maybe it's because Hyundai hasn't been at the semi-lux game for as long as Honda has, not sure. But it felt like a pretender. The Acura was its own animal. We're going with the Acura.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts