Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I can say I would know directly but I think air suspension is more for comfort than anything else. The torque vectoring SH-AWD would be the key to putting the MDX on top of the GV80. Whether in the base MDX or the Type S the SH-AWD should be better than the GV80. I just think as with most cars they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The MDX Type S with the 355 horsepower engine should be able to compete and in most cases top the entry level offerings from BMW Mercedes and Audi but of course not compete with the super car variants of the Germans. I think Acura is being shrewd with the MDX. I won’t be as luxurious perhaps as the GV80 but it should be able to outperform it and be a niche vehicle between the Germans and the GV80.
My point stands. Unless a driver has actually test-driven both vehicles, comments about the superiority of one over the other are just speculation based on prior experience with (presumably) only a previous generation MDX. With respect to torque vectoring, which is used by SH-AWD because of its front drive bias, my understanding is that the parallel process in a rear-wheel drive car (like the GV80) is handled via its limited slip differential and electronic stability program, so in my mind, that's a wash. To repeat: given that all vehicles have strengths and weaknesses, it's premature to promote on brand over another (even on an MDX forum) until a customer actually drives each vehicle and decides what "strengths" are most important to him or her.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I like all the cool little features of the GV80 like:
  • push button 2nd row seat fold from hatch
  • being able to move the front passenger seat up from the 2nd row or driver's seat
  • 3 prong plug in 2nd row
  • touch screen option
  • standard spare tire

I'm assuming the 2nd row seats are heated and cooled like the Kia/Hyundai brands (depending on trim level). Those little touches are what I like for Acura to have. I wish Acura would do something as simple as being able to fold the 2nd row headrest forward 90 degrees to help with rear visibility. Looks like the GV80 2nd row headrest can do that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If anything, here's an owners son impressions of his fathers brand new GV80. The sister got the fathers 2nd gen MDX.

First Impressions on My Dad's Genesis GV80 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

The GV80 and Bentley were designed by the same guy, so obviously it will grab peoples attention.
I'm on Azine often and saw that review. I appreciate the son’s kool-aid review. Their 2008 MDX has 245K miles with no major issues; if their luxurious Hyundai can go 245K with no issues, I’ll give them my left nut and season tickets to their favorite sports team.

Keep in mind Genesis historically is one of the worst resale brands on the planet (example).

2022 MDX all day long.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Excluding the base trim, I suspect that the GV80 is going to be the more satisfying vehicle to own from the luxury standpoint. I obviously haven't sat in the 2022 MDX yet, but I expect it to just be nice. Having driven the 21 TLX and RDX, the next generation of Acura interiors are really good. I like the look and the return to proper buttons, and I have no issues with the infotainment interface. There's nothing wrong with it, the quality has improved, but at the same time it's nothing special. That's exactly what I expected Acura to be.

On the other hand, sitting in the Genesis is different. It feels special. Grabbing that steering wheel and touching the knurled shifter knob feels like you are in something truly a class above. If you are looking for a real luxury SUV, I think the Genesis is the way to go. $55, $60, $65+ is a huge amount of money to spend on a car, but if I'm going to spend that much, I'd want to feel like it was money well spent. Genesis checks that box for me.

Obviously a lot of this is dependent on what you are looking for from the car though. Everyone has different priorities that will make one vehicle a better fit for them. I think I would take a base MDX over a base GV80 because I appreciate the smoothness, sound, and power delivery of the J35 V6 and it is lighter. Other than that though, there's not too much keeping me anchored to Acura. Besides, it's good to broaden your horizons every once in a while.

Reactions: mrgold35

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm on Azine often and saw that review. I appreciate the son’s kool-aid review. Their 2008 MDX has 245K miles with no major issues; if their luxurious Hyundai can go 245K with no issues, I’ll give them my left nut and season tickets to their favorite sports team.

Keep in mind Genesis historically is one of the worst resale brands on the planet (example).

2022 MDX all day long.
Two thoughts: how relevant is resale value if one keeps their vehicle for a long time (like me). And, even Lexus started out as a “mere” Toyota and is now recognized as as a premier brand. Might that happen to Genesis?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Lexus started out as a “mere” Toyota and is now recognized as as a premier brand. Might that happen to Genesis?
Good question. If you think about it, Hyundai is following the Lexus playbook exactly. Lexus (but not branded as such) started as a top-tier Toyota, then was spun-off as a separate brand that provided power, luxury and quality (first in sedans, then in SUVs) in a new premium package. The Lexus selling point is not "who can go the most miles in this" - it is premium luxury at a price point well below the Europeans, and the Genesis brand is on the same path.

When Acura first started out in the '90's, I thought it would end up being the main competitor to Lexus, but it's not. While the MDX Advance is very nice it's nothing special for its $61K ask.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My thoughts:

As impressive and as expensive GV80 is, I don’t see it as a direct competitor for MDX as a family hauler with a functional 3rd row. MDX offers a great driving experience with "all the bells and whistles" as a complete package at a trim level. Except its quirky at times.

For me, starting from 2001, MDX always outweighed competition in the above categories until Volvo XC90 redesign in 2016.

In 2018, XC90 won me over MDX that came with nice, but dated, improvements over 2015 model. Plus a new push button gear selector that Acura came out with in MDX was a major turn off.

When 2022 MDX was announced, I was excited as I started research for next ride in 2021. While it’s a mix of great features and head-scratching why’s, it came down to the real world numbers. As a result, I have 2021 XC90 parked outside.

About the real world numbers.

On a paper, new MDX is $2,400 more than a previous model. In reality, the gap is much wider.

MDX will begin selling at MSRP no doubt, potentially it will sell at a premium until dealers lots catch up with demand. I am told, this is the story with Telluride for some time now.

Meanwhile, both last gen MDX and XC90 are heavily discounted. In my case, 2021 XC90 T6 Inscription was cheaper to buy then a new 2022 MDX Advance will cost.

I think once glamour of YouTube reviewers rushing to share their “impressions” gets replaced by the crowd of actual owners, it would be more interesting to compare the numbers and to hear the real world driving experiences. Including those for Genesis. For now, paying over 60K for Acura and over 65K for Hyundai (!) feels excessive to me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
how relevant is resale value if one keeps their vehicle for a long time (like me).
If you're going to be keeping it for a long time, then yes, resale is not a factor. But then I would ask yourself, "why" is resale not good? Then I'd go back to the bulletproof Acura long-term reputation. I've had 6 Acuras and can attest to it. I couldn't get rid of my one Hyundai (Veloster) fast enough. That's my experience, so take it for what it is...

And, even Lexus started out as a “mere” Toyota and is now recognized as as a premier brand. Might that happen to Genesis?
Maybe. Many brands have tried the luxury route. I would argue that Infiniti is still figuring it out. Mazda was going to try Amati and it never took ground. Ford has been up and down with Lincoln. VW kills it with Audi, but I would argue at the sacrifice of VW products (at least here in US).

Toyota had perfect timing as it had a Unique Selling Proposition (USP) in the fall of 1989 of affordable, quality luxury. Nobody could offer the luxurious quality at that price point. The Germans were too expensive (and unreliable) and the Americans were cheaply made bloated boats. Lexus grabbed the market and has never looked back (even as many others have caught up). They now ride their reputation and their dealership experience.

I don't know what the Genesis USP is? Bentley-esque styling? Their dealers are nothing to brag about. Quality? Maybe initially. I doubt long-term. I'm just not sure there's enough equity there for the brand to survive long term. Time will tell.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Toyota had perfect timing as it had a Unique Selling Proposition (USP) in the fall of 1989 of affordable, quality luxury. Nobody could offer the luxurious quality at that price point. The Germans were too expensive (and unreliable) and the Americans were cheaply made bloated boats. Lexus grabbed the market and has never looked back (even as many others have caught up). They now ride their reputation and their dealership experience.

I don't know what the Genesis USP is? Bentley-esque styling? Their dealers are nothing to brag about. Quality? Maybe initially. I doubt long-term. I'm just not sure there's enough equity there for the brand to survive long term. Time will tell.
"Honda/Acura had perfect timing as it had a Unique Selling Proposition (USP) of affordable, quality luxury." FIFY. And I know because I bought and enjoyed a truly outstanding Acura Legend and thought at the time that Acura was the sub-brand that would beat the Germans into submission in the luxury vehicle market. Sadly, Honda/Acura never lived up to that promise, and eventually regressed to a "near-luxury" at a discounted price point niche - my MDX was nowhere near the content of Lexus or the Germans, and had to rely on "value" and "reliability" (NTTAWWT). Even then, the majority of Acura sales were MDX 1st and 2nd Gens - the number of RLX sedans sold could be counted on one hand. As I mentioned upthread, Hyundai is following the Lexus playbook exactly, and I suspect that, in the long term, the overall ownership experience will be very similar to owning a Lexus vehicle. We shall see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My thoughts:

As impressive and as expensive GV80 is, I don’t see it as a direct competitor for MDX as a family hauler with a functional 3rd row. MDX offers a great driving experience with "all the bells and whistles" as a complete package at a trim level. Except its quirky at times.

For me, starting from 2001, MDX always outweighed competition in the above categories until Volvo XC90 redesign in 2016.

In 2018, XC90 won me over MDX that came with nice, but dated, improvements over 2015 model. Plus a new push button gear selector that Acura came out with in MDX was a major turn off.

When 2022 MDX was announced, I was excited as I started research for next ride in 2021. While it’s a mix of great features and head-scratching why’s, it came down to the real world numbers. As a result, I have 2021 XC90 parked outside.

About the real world numbers.

On a paper, new MDX is $2,400 more than a previous model. In reality, the gap is much wider.

MDX will begin selling at MSRP no doubt, potentially it will sell at a premium until dealers lots catch up with demand. I am told, this is the story with Telluride for some time now.

Meanwhile, both last gen MDX and XC90 are heavily discounted. In my case, 2021 XC90 T6 Inscription was cheaper to buy then a new 2022 MDX Advance will cost.

I think once glamour of YouTube reviewers rushing to share their “impressions” gets replaced by the crowd of actual owners, it would be more interesting to compare the numbers and to hear the real world driving experiences. Including those for Genesis. For now, paying over 60K for Acura and over 65K for Hyundai (!) feels excessive to me.
While I agree with some of your points the fact of the matter is that the XC90 handling and all wheel drive system do not measure up to the Acura. I have had interest in the XC90 since the redesign but paying upwards of $60-70000 + for a 4 Cylinder engine is a no go for me. No matter how sophisticated, turbo charged or hybridized a 4 Cylinder engine is it still is a 4 Cylinder. I’ve seen some of the early reviews of the GV80 2.5 and they point to the fact that the 4 Cylinder just doesn’t quite offer that luxury experience and for $65000 for the top of the line 2.5 GV80 I would definitely choose the new MDX. I use to like the XC90 interior but that one huge touch screen isn’t really my taste although the fit and finish is impeccable. My main complaint with the new MDX is not having a touch pad and touchscreen interface. I do agree about the pricing on the Genesis GV80.........Yes it interior is impeccable.........Not really a huge fan of the exterior but to price the vehicle at $72000 for the top of the line model is ambitious to say the least. I just don’t see buyers flocking to pay German car prices for the GV80 quite yet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I do agree about the pricing on the Genesis GV80.........Yes it interior is impeccable.........Not really a huge fan of the exterior but to price the vehicle at $72000 for the top of the line model is ambitious to say the least. I just don’t see buyers flocking to pay German car prices for the GV80 quite yet.
Can you give us the derivation of the $72K MSRP? I was just on the GV-80 configurator, and the top tier model (3.5T AWD Advanced +) with all options tops out at $65,450 ($66,475 destination to South Central Texas). That's just a few grand from the top tier MDX Advance at an MSRP of approximately $61K. Granted it's more, but "less more" than the $72K you mentioned, and yes, the fit and finish of the vehicle is impeccable. BTW, the dirty little secret is the Germans discount nearly as much as the Asians.

·
Registered
22 Acura MDX Advanced SH-AWD
19 Posts
I can't really call it the true comparison between two by just showing video that came from manufacture. It is in fact the new MDX on the video (there is NO 2021 model, it is MDX prototype that Acura announced last year)
You are correct. No 2021 MDX, it goes 2020 then 2022. Once I found out you could only get the third row seat in the GV80 with the top of the line trim which (edit my mistake on price) added more gadgets than I needed. Always been a Honda and Toyota family and I just couldn’t jump sides my parents would disown me. Jk but seriously

·
Registered
135 Posts
You are correct. No 2021 MDX, it goes 2020 then 2022. Once I found out you could only get the third row seat in the GV80 with the top of the line trim which costs $80k+ I scratched it off my list and never even went to see it.
Not to rain on your parade, but have you even been to the GV-80 configurator? I have, and was unable to spec the "toppest tier" vehicle at more than $65K. Where does the $80K come from?

·
Registered
22 Acura MDX Advanced SH-AWD
19 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but have you even been to the GV-80 configurator? I have, and was unable to spec the "toppest tier" vehicle at more than $65K. Where does the $80K come from?
My mistake on price, not sure where that number came from. I edited my post.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've owned three MDX's; 01, 05, and currently have a 10. I've always liked the SH-AWD ride, and have been on autopilot toward the purchase of the 2022. However, the GV80 now has my attention, and may carry the day. I have yet to test drive either, so who knows. My intention is to go with the top trim level of whichever I choose.
My X's have had their share of issues over the years, the 01 tranny and the paint literally falling off of the 10, to mention a couple. The fit and finish is "luxury light", and the warranty is average at best. Having said that, it's still a very nice vehicle, and Acura has up it's luxury game some with the 2022. My biggest pre test drive concern being what appears to be a swing and a miss with the touch pad interface.
On the other hand, I have no experience with Genesis, other than a friend who owns a G80 and is absolutely smitten with the thing. I plan to take a lot of long road trips with the next SUV, and am very focused on seating comfort, handling, ride comfort, and road noise. I have no use for third row seating, for which there is no escape with the MDX, nor do I have any use for 22 inch wheels, for which there is no escape with the top trim on the GV80. The GV80 warranty is a big plus, but their relatively sparse dealer network may make it a PIA to get convenient service.
I plan to hold onto the vehicle for 8-10 years. Which means the way things are headed, this will likely be my last non-hybrid/EV SUV purchase. So, do I stick with the same old same old? Or take a chance on the intriguing upstart?
I tend to think that I can't really go wrong with either vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
881 Posts
I've owned three MDX's; 01, 05, and currently have a 10. I've always liked the SH-AWD ride, and have been on autopilot toward the purchase of the 2022. However, the GV80 now has my attention, and may carry the day. I have yet to test drive either, so who knows. My intention is to go with the top trim level of whichever I choose.
My X's have had their share of issues over the years, the 01 tranny and the paint literally falling off of the 10, to mention a couple. The fit and finish is "luxury light", and the warranty is average at best. Having said that, it's still a very nice vehicle, and Acura has up it's luxury game some with the 2022. My biggest pre test drive concern being what appears to be a swing and a miss with the touch pad interface.
On the other hand, I have no experience with Genesis, other than a friend who owns a G80 and is absolutely smitten with the thing. I plan to take a lot of long road trips with the next SUV, and am very focused on seating comfort, handling, ride comfort, and road noise. I have no use for third row seating, for which there is no escape with the MDX, nor do I have any use for 22 inch wheels, for which there is no escape with the top trim on the GV80. The GV80 warranty is a big plus, but their relatively sparse dealer network may make it a PIA to get convenient service.
I plan to hold onto the vehicle for 8-10 years. Which means the way things are headed, this will likely be my last non-hybrid/EV SUV purchase. So, do I stick with the same old same old? Or take a chance on the intriguing upstart?
I'd stick with the MDX if I were you. You already have owned 3 and are familiar with Acura. Having a 4th MDX wouldn't hurt at all, since Honda would keep a repeating customer and you would gain loyalty discounts for being a 4th MDX. And if you are keeping said vehicle for about a decade, just stick with Acura. We are not sure if Hyundai has fixed the issue of engine failures and fires with their products.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
The Acura/Honda formula hasn't changed much in the last +20 years. They have taken a reliability hit recently because they are trying not to be sooooo conservative and they are pushing the envelope to at least the current automotive standards. Longevity of +10 years and +150,000 miles minimal is one of my standards for a vehicle (and I want to enjoy every mile along the way). I think Acura has done a good job on that check box compared to other luxury brands.

Instead of look forward +10 years for the GV80, I would look back +10 years at similar Kia and Hyundai SUVs to see how well the held up compared to similar Honda/Acura SUVs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Instead of look forward +10 years for the GV80, I would look back +10 years at similar Kia and Hyundai SUVs to see how well the held up compared to similar Honda/Acura SUVs.
Apples and oranges projection. Genesis is a new rear drive/AWD luxury sub-brand with very little in common engineering-wise with the Hyundai/Kia mainstream vehicles. A better comparison would be to Lexus, and Lexus became a true luxury alternative to the Germans with a playbook Genesis is following.

Early years Acura also would work for comparison purposes. Unfortunately, Acura settled for being a front drive "value-oriented" near-luxury brand rather than a true luxury alternative.

Actually, a better comparison for Acura's current MDX lineup would be the highly praised Kia Telluride. Customers (still) are paying over MSRP for those vehicles vs. the discounts and bargain hunting prevalent at Acura dealers.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ditch the same old same old and go for an entirely new experience. You have nothing to lose. The Genesis warranty is the best thing out there and the build quality, material quality, and attention to detail (especially on the top tier trim) is a league ahead of the Acura (for the same price!). Only you will be able to tell which is the better vehicle for your lifestyle, so thorough test drives of both cars are must. I don't think you can make a bad choice with either vehicle, but I'd rather be driving the Genesis because it feels truly special.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts