Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in the market for a new vehicle in the next couple of month. While I have owned an MDX for 20 years (2001 and then 2010 models) the new Genesis GV80 has me looking around. Has anyone done a comparison of the two vehicles and have a recommendation? TIA.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You might have decide what trim level of the GV80 and 22 MDX you are comparing to get a closer Apples to Apples match up on features, luxury, performance, and value. I think the base engine is I-4 turbo for the GV80 and it is tuned for a softer Lexus type ride. Performance+handling are way up there on my check box.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I don't believe there is enough info on the new MDX to make a good comparison now. I would look at the GV80 as well. In case you have not seen it Alex ***** on his site Alex on Autos does very detailed reviews of vehicles. Here is the GV80 from August: GV80 Review
Alex also has a first look re the MDX from its release in October.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
878 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
You might have decide what trim level of the GV80 and 22 MDX you are comparing to get a closer Apples to Apples match up on features, luxury, performance, and value. I think the base engine is I-4 turbo for the GV80 and it is tuned for a softer Lexus type ride. Performance+handling are way up there on my check box.
I agree with the notion that the OP should do an apples to apples comparison, as well as a test drive when both vehicles are available to him. While it's also true that the base engine is an I-4 turbo, that engine is rated at 300 BHP, so it's clearly in MDX territory, (The V-6 engine is rated at 375 BHP, well above what I understand will be available in the 2022 MDX). Finally, I don't understand your comment about the GV80 being "tuned for a softer Lexus type ride". In fact, an electronically-controlled adaptive suspension is standard on V6 models, and includes various settings, including sport. That feature alone would suggest it would have the equivalent level of sportiness of an MDX.

If performance and handling are really at the top of your list, you might want to look into an AMG GLE, BMW X5M or Audi SQ7. Those are sporty vehicles!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I agree with the notion that the OP should do an apples to apples comparison, as well as a test drive when both vehicles are available to him. While it's also true that the base engine is an I-4 turbo, that engine is rated at 300 BHP, so it's clearly in MDX territory, (The V-6 engine is rated at 375 BHP, well above what I understand will be available in the 2022 MDX). Finally, I don't understand your comment about the GV80 being "tuned for a softer Lexus type ride". In fact, an electronically-controlled adaptive suspension is standard on V6 models, and includes various settings, including sport. That feature alone would suggest it would have the equivalent level of sportiness of an MDX.

If performance and handling are really at the top of your list, you might want to look into an AMG GLE, BMW X5M or Audi SQ7. Those are sporty vehicles!

Again: Apples-to-Apples

We don't know if the OP is looking at price, tech, performance, luxury, or other factors higher on their list. Until we get either vehicle on the showroom floor, we are all taking a guess-i-mation on limited info we have with just internet searches/Youtube.

I do have other check boxes other than performance and handling. The European brands don't make my cut because of maintenance cost, poor mpgs, and unable to go +150,000 miles with just routine maintenance and tires compared to the Asian brands.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
878 Posts
Again: Apples-to-Apples

We don't know if the OP is looking at price, tech, performance, luxury, or other factors higher on their list. Until we get either vehicle on the showroom floor, we are all taking a guess-i-mation on limited info we have with just internet searches/Youtube.

I do have other check boxes other than performance and handling. The European brands don't make my cut because of maintenance cost, poor mpgs, and unable to go +150,000 miles with just routine maintenance and tires compared to the Asian brands.
Actually some Euro models are under powered but, none can make over 150k without major repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: mrgold35

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I have not driven either vehicle, at this point I am only going by price point, but performance and reliability are up there too. One thing I don't like in my current 2010 MDX is the amount of road noise and/or poor speaker sound. So a quiet ride where I can use bluetooth and understand the conversation would be good. As far as off road, I really meant driving in the snow. Highly unlikely I would take either vehicle off-roading.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Good thing you are skipping the 3rd Gen MDX because the 2nd Gen ELS sounds better to me than the 3rd Gen ELS. My 19 hybrid does have less road noise on OEM tires, acoustic glass, thinner tires, and hybrid powertrain. The RLX hybrid has the lowest road noise and the Krell audio sounds the best out of the 4 previous Acuras' I've owned.

It would be a good back-to-back comparison for the +22 MDX and GV80 at hwy speeds of 70-80 mph. Might be even worth it to do another test drive when the Type-S MDX hits the road later this summer with the 25 speaker 1000 watt 3D ELS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Personally I have never been a fan of Turbo Engines........No matter how good they are built they just don‘t match the linear power offered by naturally aspirated engines. Really glad they didn’t go with the Turbo 4 as the base engine for the new MDX. I was hoping they would tune up the old 3.5 V6 engine to around 320 horsepower in the new MDX but I guess that would put it too close to the Type S which is 355 horsepower. What they really should have done is Turbo charged the 3.0 hybrid which would have put the new model well over 400 horsepower but of course that isn’t happening. I’ve seen some reviews on the base Genesis GV80 2.5 Turbo. Even though it puts out 300 horsepower most of the reviewers say that you can still tell it is a 4 cylinder engine. The new MDX base will still have the 290 horsepower V6 but it is still a V6 so I will give Acura the edge. The cabin is almost as luxurious and it will definitely handle better than the Genesis GV80. It looks like the top of the line GV80 Turbo 4 and the MDX Advance will be about the same price. I also suspect that the Type S will outperform the GV80 V6 Turbo even though it will have 15 less horses but again the handling will be superior. I currently own a 2016 MDX. I’m intrigued by the GV80 but I just think the new MDX styling will age better. I’m leaning towards the 2022 Advance MDX since I think this will be the last naturally aspirated V6 engine that Acura/Honda will ever make. I’m guessing the next car I buy after this one will be close to 2030. By then most car manufacturers will offer only electric or hybrid vehicles across the board for all the cars they produce.

·
Registered
4 Posts
none can make over 150k without major repairs.
Not none... but I’d say “many”. A buddy of mine has an E90 3 series with like 230k miles and no major issues... and he tracks it because his dedicated track car has been down for a couple of years now. Thing is a rock and no one can believe it does as well as it does nor the fact that it never breaks on the track - just consumes tires and brakes of course.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Personally I have never been a fan of Turbo Engines........No matter how good they are built they just don‘t match the linear power offered by naturally aspirated engines. Really glad they didn’t go with the Turbo 4 as the base engine for the new MDX. I was hoping they would tune up the old 3.5 V6 engine to around 320 horsepower in the new MDX but I guess that would put it too close to the Type S which is 355 horsepower. What they really should have done is Turbo charged the 3.0 hybrid which would have put the new model well over 400 horsepower but of course that isn’t happening. I’ve seen some reviews on the base Genesis GV80 2.5 Turbo. Even though it puts out 300 horsepower most of the reviewers say that you can still tell it is a 4 cylinder engine. The new MDX base will still have the 290 horsepower V6 but it is still a V6 so I will give Acura the edge. The cabin is almost as luxurious and it will definitely handle better than the Genesis GV80. It looks like the top of the line GV80 Turbo 4 and the MDX Advance will be about the same price. I also suspect that the Type S will outperform the GV80 V6 Turbo even though it will have 15 less horses but again the handling will be superior. I currently own a 2016 MDX. I’m intrigued by the GV80 but I just think the new MDX styling will age better. I’m leaning towards the 2022 Advance MDX since I think this will be the last naturally aspirated V6 engine that Acura/Honda will ever make. I’m guessing the next car I buy after this one will be close to 2030. By then most car manufacturers will offer only electric or hybrid vehicles across the board for all the cars they produce.
I'm not pimping the GV80, but you're not talking apples - to - apples comparing the GV80 Turbo 4 to the MDX Advance. I believe it would be better to compare the GV80 V6 at 370 HP to the MDX Advance at 290. Also, as I mentioned upthread, V6 GV80s will have electronically adjustable suspensions as standard equipment, which I understand will have sport settings. Unless you actually drive similarly equipped vehicles, I don't know how you can assert that the MDX (base?) "will definitely handle better than the Genesis GV80". Just sayin'. I'm going to keep my powder dry and have an open mind until I actually test drive both SUVs when they become available.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not none... but I’d say “many”. A buddy of mine has an E90 3 series with like 230k miles and no major issues... and he tracks it because his dedicated track car has been down for a couple of years now. Thing is a rock and no one can believe it does as well as it does nor the fact that it never breaks on the track - just consumes tires and brakes of course.
Too true. My wife's 1998 E39 BMW 5 series was rock solid for over 170K miles, and it's still running well for the buyer. My experience is that if european vehicles receive proper and timely maintenance, they generally are very reliable. Of course, the handling setups also are such that tires and brakes tend to become real consumables. That 5 series had outstanding brakes, but unfortunately, all four rotors, as well as all pads, needed to be replaced every 25 - 30K miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not pimping the GV80, but you're not talking apples - to - apples comparing the GV80 Turbo 4 to the MDX Advance. I believe it would be better to compare the GV80 V6 at 370 HP to the MDX Advance at 290. Also, as I mentioned upthread, V6 GV80s will have electronically adjustable suspensions as standard equipment, which I understand will have sport settings. Unless you actually drive similarly equipped vehicles, I don't know how you can assert that the MDX (base?) "will definitely handle better than the Genesis GV80". Just sayin'. I'm going to keep my powder dry and have an open mind until I actually test drive both SUVs when they become available.
Firstly the comparison is legitimately.........The MDX Type S is supposed to compete with the GV80 V6 since they both have turbo V6’s and have comparable horsepower ratings i.e. 355 vs. 370........They also will be similar in price. My guess is that the MDX Type S will come in at about $66000 while the GV80 top of the line vehicle is $72000. As far as the MDX Advance with the 290 V6, the horsepower rating is similar to the Turbo 4 GV80 at 300 horsepower. I can say I would know directly but I think air suspension is more for comfort than anything else. The torque vectoring SH-AWD would be the key to putting the MDX on top of the GV80. Whether in the base MDX or the Type S the SH-AWD should be better than the GV80. I just think as with most cars they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The MDX Type S with the 355 horsepower engine should be able to compete and in most cases top the entry level offerings from BMW Mercedes and Audi but of course not compete with the super car variants of the Germans. I think Acura is being shrewd with the MDX. I won’t be as luxurious perhaps as the GV80 but it should be able to outperform it and be a niche vehicle between the Germans and the GV80.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I will be in the market for a new vehicle in the next couple of month. While I have owned an MDX for 20 years (2001 and then 2010 models) the new Genesis GV80 has me looking around. Has anyone done a comparison of the two vehicles and have a recommendation? TIA.

here's a comparison:

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I saw many visuals, but no commentary with facts or opinions. Also, it's a 2021 MDX vs. 2021 GV80. I thought the OP was interested in comparing the 2022 MDX or 2021 GV80.
I can't really call it the true comparison between two by just showing video that came from manufacture. It is in fact the new MDX on the video (there is NO 2021 model, it is MDX prototype that Acura announced last year)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts