Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer told me there will be no 2021 MDX, but they will have the 2022 next spring. The interior should be the same as the TLX that just came out last week. The TLX really looks neat and the interior is much different than my MDX. There is only one Screen. There is a touch pad to control lots of stuff. See the pictures of the MDX Prototype. I will trade in my 2018 Hybrid to a new hybrid.

http://instagr.am/p/CGFxOk2hQMY/
120995253_678129173120402_5809155897232289598_n.jpg

121049482_2051377031663993_6329337095406002667_n.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Doesn’t matter what they call It. I’m hoping for a hybrid soon. However,my car is so good, I can wait.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
610 Posts
To be honest the new 4th gen prototype exterior styling doesn't "do it for me". It doesn't look as awesome as I'd hoped. Maybe the production version and Aspec will look better. Based on small sample size of pictures I almost think I like the 3rd gen exterior styling more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
575 Posts
The touch pad has gotten mixed reviews on the RDX, which the pictures sure looks like. I have had a couple RDX loaners and I personally absolutely HATE the touch pad and single screen. The large single split screen appears to be an after thought, is too cluttered for the driver to safely use. The touch pad again IMHO is a horrible idea. Kids that grew up playing video games might be able to use it without looking, but us older people will find it a real pain. Way too sensitive for starters, moves way too fast, and again forces the driver to look either down or at the display to navigate.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
To be honest the new 4th gen prototype exterior styling doesn't "do it for me". It doesn't look as awesome as I'd hoped. Maybe the production version and Aspec will look better. Based on small sample size of pictures I almost think I like the 3rd gen exterior styling more.

Very subjective. However, I do like the a spec red paint on the current gen. If they had it in a hybrid, I may have walked out with one today.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Very subjective. However, I do like the a spec red paint on the current gen. If they had it in a hybrid, I may have walked out with one today.
Right, that's only my opinion based on the limited prototype shots they show and the angles. Some people will like it, some not.

Fwiw the new Infiniti Qx60 prototype I think looks pretty bad ass, but who knows what actual production model will look like.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The touch pad has gotten mixed reviews on the RDX, which the pictures sure looks like. I have had a couple RDX loaners and I personally absolutely HATE the touch pad and single screen. The large single split screen appears to be an after thought, is too cluttered for the driver to safely use. The touch pad again IMHO is a horrible idea. Kids that grew up playing video games might be able to use it without looking, but us older people will find it a real pain. Way too sensitive for starters, moves way too fast, and again forces the driver to look either down or at the display to navigate.
I don't like the touch pad on RDX when I had it as loaner for limited time. Hopefully the voice command could do most of what I need.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I saw the pictures a few days ago and had mixed feelings. But just watched Acura's video and it has grown on me.

It does look like a Mazda, but I like that it's gotten a bit sportier.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The exterior look like a MMC to the current +17 MDX. I don't think the avg Joe would see the exterior differences being that different compared to the changes from the 2nd Gen 07-13 MDXs to 3rd Gen 14-20 MDXs? It will be very hard for Acura to compete now because of the SUV market being so crowded now days. I think there will be even more cross shoppers comparing the MDX to lower brands that have the same and more features for $5000-$15,000 less in this economy.

I love the interior and can't wait to see the features.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't like the touch pad on RDX when I had it as loaner for limited time. Hopefully the voice command could do most of what I need.
I tend to agree with the negative reviews on the RDX touchpad. Lexus has a similar implementation on an ES350 I recently test drove and theirs seemed better sorted, particularly with the mechanical/haptic feedback. That said, there continue to be redundant steering wheel controls on the RDX (and I'm sure the MDX will as well), in addition to the voice control . It's less than ideal, but better than a touchscreen, which you absolutely MUST look down to and focus on in order to target your taps.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
It looks more and more like there will not be a 2022 hybrid. One review said there would not be. Most say nothing about it.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I think they have concentrated on getting the new drivetrain out first, and the Type S. I think instead of the regular hybrid, which, to be honest, doesn't make much sense in 2020 or going forward, they might have a plug-in hybrid in the works for 2023 or 2025.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I think they have concentrated on getting the new drivetrain out first, and the Type S. I think instead of the regular hybrid, which, to be honest, doesn't make much sense in 2020 or going forward, they might have a plug-in hybrid in the works for 2023 or 2025.
I think the hybrid is great. Especially in these days of waiting in drive through lines. To be able to go through a drive through with the engine off is great. I don’t understand how excellent city mileage and great torque when you want it “doesn’t make sense”.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I don’t understand how excellent city mileage and great torque when you want it “doesn’t make sense”.
I apologize for potentially disappointing you in advance, but let's see the actual numbers:

Full tank of gas in a 2021 MDX: 19.5 gallons.
Average price of gas in USA is $2.8 per gallon.
Average US full tank of gas cost for an MDX: $54.6

2021 MDX gas mileage: 22 MPG combined, equals to 429 miles on a full tank.
2021 MDX Hybrid gas mileage: 27 MPG combined, equals to 526.5 miles on a full tank.
Difference in MPG: about $13 a full tank as the hybrid will let you drive basically extra 100 miles per tank. That translates to roughly extra 6.5 full tanks or $355 annual savings for the hybrid for an average US driver (15K miles annually). Meaning you will not see any fuel savings for your hybrid MDX until after four years into ownership or lease given that the hybrid is $1500 more expensive than the SH-AWD of the same trim (that is if we choose the same trim, of course, because you can get an MDX that is $6500 cheaper then the hybrid, which extends the savings period from 4 years to about 18 years., but I digress).

So gas savings wise - they are basically non existent. You will need four years just to get even with a non-hybrid car and then several more years to actually see any savings. Remember that a good old naturally aspirated V6 will always be more reliable and long lasting rather than a complicated hybrid system in the long run, but that's besides the point.

In terms of torque, yes: the hybrid provides more torque, and if it's the decision maker for you to buy a vehicle, that's fine, of course. It just isn't one for me. It's a nice to have, for sure, but not a deal breaker by any means.

I'm a big advocate for plug-in hybrids as a great transitioning solution until the world goes mostly electric for passenger vehicles by like 2045-2050. A plug-in hybrid is an excellent balance, best of both worlds, so to speak. And especially makes sense in a crossover vehicle such as MDX, as there is a lot of space to put the batteries in once a good chunk of the engine, traditional transmission, transfer case, rear differential and propeller shaft are removed.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I apologize for potentially disappointing you in advance, but let's see the actual numbers:

Full tank of gas in a 2021 MDX: 19.5 gallons.
Average price of gas in USA is $2.8 per gallon.
Average US full tank of gas cost for an MDX: $54.6

2021 MDX gas mileage: 22 MPG combined, equals to 429 miles on a full tank.
2021 MDX Hybrid gas mileage: 27 MPG combined, equals to 526.5 miles on a full tank.
Difference in MPG: about $13 a full tank as the hybrid will let you drive basically extra 100 miles per tank. That translates to roughly extra 6.5 full tanks or $355 annual savings for the hybrid for an average US driver (15K miles annually). Meaning you will not see any fuel savings for your hybrid MDX until after four years into ownership or lease given that the hybrid is $1500 more expensive than the SH-AWD of the same trim (that is if we choose the same trim, of course, because you can get an MDX that is $6500 cheaper then the hybrid, which extends the savings period from 4 years to about 18 years., but I digress).

So gas savings wise - they are basically non existent. You will need four years just to get even with a non-hybrid car and then several more years to actually see any savings. Remember that a good old naturally aspirated V6 will always be more reliable and long lasting rather than a complicated hybrid system in the long run, but that's besides the point.

In terms of torque, yes: the hybrid provides more torque, and if it's the decision maker for you to buy a vehicle, that's fine, of course. It just isn't one for me. It's a nice to have, for sure, but not a deal breaker by any means.

I'm a big advocate for plug-on hybrids as a great transitioning solution until the world goes mostly electric for passenger vehicles by like 2045-2050. A plug-in hybrid is an excellent balance, best of both worlds, so to speak. And especially makes sense in a crossover vehicle such as MDX, as there is a lot of space to put the batteries in once a good chunk of the engine, traditional transmission, transfer case, rear differential and propeller shaft are removed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts