Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hands free tailgate feature works 1 out of 20 times. The Acura dealer said a fix is coming.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Advance | Fathom Blue Pearl
14 Posts
You don't shake you foot under the bumper. I mean, you can, but that's not what the manual says to do. Instead, it says, "Use a forward and back kicking motion for about 1 second under the center of the rear bumper to open or close the power tailgate while carrying the keyless access remote."

This works for me pretty much all time (unless I'm coming in from a slight angle or when I do the kicking motion not quite under the center of the bumper).

·
Registered
2022 MDX Advance Phantom Violet
4 Posts
You don't shake you foot under the bumper. I mean, you can, but that's not what the manual says to do. Instead, it says, "Use a forward and back kicking motion for about 1 second under the center of the rear bumper to open or close the power tailgate while carrying the keyless access remote."

This works for me pretty much all time (unless I'm coming in from a slight angle or when I do the kicking motion not quite under the center of the bumper).
This is a perfect description. It works for me!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Forward and back has the same proble.
thanks for the inf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine barely works - probably 3 times in 1 month. Dealer said they “weren’t sure what the trick is on these new models”. So that was unhelpful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine barely works - probably 3 times in 1 month. Dealer said they “weren’t sure what the trick is on these new models”. So that was unhelpful.
It's not helpful to know how it actually is supposed to work?

NONE of your dealership's 2022 MDXs' hands-free liftgate access work like they're supposed to? That would be bizarre.

Do you have another dealership in your city you can visit (service department)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently watched a youtube video review of the 2022 mdx.
I should have bookmarked it - the guy spent more time than most demonstrating how to use the hands free lift gate.

He said: 'don't sweep from side to side' and then demonstrated how that didn't work.
He said kick forwards and back (like you would normally walk), but don't kick too slow, and he demonstrated how that didn't work.
He then did it correct a couple of times.

I don't recall the exact timing, but i swear the kick didn't last more than a half second.
Someone who actually owns the 2022 can test the timing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently watched a youtube video review of the 2022 mdx.
I should have bookmarked it - the guy spent more time than most demonstrating how to use the hands free lift gate.

He said: 'don't sweep from side to side' and then demonstrated how that didn't work.
He said kick forwards and back (like you would normally walk), but don't kick too slow, and he demonstrated how that didn't work.
He then did it correct a couple of times.

I don't recall the exact timing, but i swear the kick didn't last more than a half second.
Someone who actually owns the 2022 can test the timing.
EDIT: I actually own the 2022 and this feature works just as designed and described in the manual. The kicking motion needs to be quick (as mentioned, in 1 second) and precise under the center of the bumper — like kicking a soccer ball (no taking your sweet time, no slowly and leisurely waving left and right, and no stirring like a pot with your foot).

This video seems similar to the one you saw -- it's from Acura Canada and it's the best one I can find that explains the feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Earlier i had trouble getting it to work..
after reading above - works every time. (y)

·
Registered
2022 MDX Advance Pkg
46 Posts
I’ve had my 2022 Advance for about 5 weeks and the opening/closing of tailgate works as described with your foot. I really like the option to press the button on the inside to delay the closing until after you have walked away and auto locks ALL the doors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts