Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front 12V power socket stopped working. I checked the fuses, #21, #11, & #12. All looked good. The 12V power socket in the console and behind the console work. I checked the voltage for the socket in the console and behind the console and read 12.88V (accessory mode) and 14V with the car running. The front power socket read 10.8V (accessory) and just under 12V with the car running. Does anyone have any idea why the power socket was working one day and stop the next day. I normally run the dash cam to this socket. The dash cam is now connected to the console power socket.

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,644 Posts
I know you already checked, but you might want to re-check 20A fuse #12 in the passenger's side interior fuse box, since that's the one that controls the front console socket. Heck, if I were you, I would just replace it and see if that fixes it, even if the old one looks good. It's an easy and inexpensive way to check it.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
the socket in the console and behind the console and read 12.88V (accessory mode) and 14V with the car running. The front power socket read 10.8V (accessory) and just under 12V with the car running
The voltage levels for the front socket are odd, lower than expected, especially given that the other socket reads what one would expect, and it's the low voltage level that's likely causing it to 'stop working' (with whatever you plugged into it). Since the front socket has a voltage, albeit low, the fuse is okay.

I suspect there could possibly be a loose connection of the wiring to it causing some resistance and thus a low voltage.

Probably the best recourse is to have the dealer fix it under warranty, especially with the assumption some console panels and pieces might need to be taken apart to get to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you already checked, but you might want to re-check 20A fuse #12 in the passenger's side interior fuse box, since that's the one that controls the front console socket. Heck, if I were you, I would just replace it and see if that fixes it, even if the old one looks good. It's an easy and inexpensive way to check it.
Thank you for the information. Just replaced the 20A fuse with a new one and the voltage in the console socket is back to normal.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Just replaced the 20A fuse with a new one and the voltage in the console socket is back to normal.
I'm glad it's fixed. The fuse was obviously working, i.e. not blown, or else you wouldn't have had any voltage at the outlet, but sometimes a resistance can build up where the fuse seats in the fuse holder which could result in a voltage drop. I suppose the fuse itself could have a defect that could cause a resistance although I've never actually seen this. Just the act of removing the fuse and reseating it could have cleared up the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts