Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wrinkled driver seat leather ( attached photo ) since the first day ( Sept 12 ) driving. Is it normal, or leather material defect? The passenger seat leather is wrinkled as well, but it is usually back to normal overnight or after a couple of hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
looks like the stitching may be off and pulling. I would bring it back to the dealer and complain.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I noticed this in the new one I test drove... The wrinkles weren't quite as noticeable as yours but they were starting to form.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed this in the new one I test drove... The wrinkles weren't quite as noticeable as yours but they were starting to form.
not sure if this is the defect. but it isnt like the expensive, luxury car's seat

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine was worse and all it took was 2 weeks on the driver side edge face the door. A literal crease in the leather. I complained and the service mgr agreed. There happened to be an Acura HQ rep at the dealership and my service guy showed the Acura rep, who quickly said that it's a defect and shouldn't look like that. He approved the order to switch out the leather cover. It's a little better now....however, in my rear seat bench, that my 55 lb son sits in, there are 2 butt bone imprints! WHAT??? That's next on my complain list the next time I go back.

This leather should NOT be wearing like this.....TERRIBLE!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had GMC trucks that were better with fit & finish than this 60k vehicle...Acura may want to charge luxury prices but the workmanship is far from it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine was worse and all it took was 2 weeks on the driver side edge face the door. A literal crease in the leather. I complained and the service mgr agreed. There happened to be an Acura HQ rep at the dealership and my service guy showed the Acura rep, who quickly said that it's a defect and shouldn't look like that. He approved the order to switch out the leather cover. It's a little better now....however, in my rear seat bench, that my 55 lb son sits in, there are 2 butt bone imprints! WHAT??? That's next on my complain list the next time I go back.

Wow, Thank you for sharing the experience. I will definitely go to the dealer :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had GMC trucks that were better with fit & finish than this 60k vehicle...Acura may want to charge luxury prices but the workmanship is far from it.
yeah, it is true. This is my first time to buy luxury car :(

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
139 Posts
I’ve had a half dozen Accords, and an MDX, all with leather. None of the leather seats ever looked that bad, even the ‘07 with over 200k miles. Some of the seats do stretch a bit on the buttocks area while in use, visible immediately after deplaning, but they smooth out after a few hours, and none have looked even 1/4 as extreme as your photo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have seen wrinkles on the seams of seats in new 2022 mdx while at the dealer. the panels on my passenger side had fit issues. Seems like this generation is sub-par for the amount of money Charged.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I’ve had a half dozen Accords, and an MDX, all with leather. None of the leather seats ever looked that bad, even the ‘07 with over 200k miles. Some of the seats do stretch a bit on the buttocks area while in use, visible immediately after deplaning, but they smooth out after a few hours, and none have looked even 1/4 as extreme as your photo.
I was thinking the same thing... My 2012 MDX has a few creases from wear but nothing like this. This is like the leather is too stretchy or the seat doesn't have enough foam or something. I have a 2022 ordered and the infotainment issues most people are concerned with don't bother me at all, but leather that looks bad so quickly is making me slightly question my decision. I thought the dealer car I drove was just like that because so many different people had been test driving it... Though the dealer vehicle's seat wasn't as bad as this.

I'm curious if the OP's dealer offers any resolution to this issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was thinking the same thing... My 2012 MDX has a few creases from wear but nothing like this. This is like the leather is too stretchy or the seat doesn't have enough foam or something. I have a 2022 ordered and the infotainment issues most people are concerned with don't bother me at all, but leather that looks bad so quickly is making me slightly question my decision. I thought the dealer car I drove was just like that because so many different people had been test driving it... Though the dealer vehicle's seat wasn't as bad as this.

I'm curious if the OP's dealer offers any resolution to this issue.
they would probably change it for him. however, I have seen the seams (the lower right of the pic) wrinkle in several vehicles. one was so bad in the 2nd row seats I decline to buy the car. Maybe it didnt happen with previous generations or with the other 10k+ vehicles produced and sold.but it sure sucks to the one who owns one that has issues. My MDX stalled at an intersection when I hit the gas pedal on on the 3rd day I brought it home. To tell you the truth, I would not buy this car if I can do it over.

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
139 Posts
There are multiple panels over the width of the seat. Three in the bottom area and a bolster on each side, five total. It appears the center panel with the wrinkles was looser than the panel on either side of it when it was sown together, basically locking the wrinkles into the center panel.

It appears to be a manufacturing defect. Not that I’d expect the manufacturer to acknowledge that. Nothing new seat covers wouldn’t fix, like katzkins or similar.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Brought a similar condition (both front seats and the middle seats too) to the attention of my service manager. Will get back to me with Acura rep's response. In any case, the seat covers are on back order with no known ETA, so even if approved, may take forever to be fixed. Just so long as they fix them, I am willing to wait...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Brought a similar condition (both front seats and the middle seats too) to the attention of my service manager. Will get back to me with Acura rep's response. In any case, the seat covers are on back order with no known ETA, so even if approved, may take forever to be fixed. Just so long as they fix them, I am willing to wait...
When you say seat covers, do you mean they actually recover the seat in new leather?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There are multiple panels over the width of the seat. Three in the bottom area and a bolster on each side, five total. It appears the center panel with the wrinkles was looser than the panel on either side of it when it was sown together, basically locking the wrinkles into the center panel.

It appears to be a manufacturing defect. Not that I’d expect the manufacturer to acknowledge that. Nothing new seat covers wouldn’t fix, like katzkins or similar.
Thank you! Probably need to change the entire seat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Need to get it fixed definitely, otherwise it may affect the resale value.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts