Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX Advance
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've now had my 2022 MDX Advance SH-AWD for about 2,000 miles and here are my top 7 favorite things so far about my new car and my least favorite 7 things:

Top 7 Good:

1. Beautiful car - interior and exterior - styling, seats, stitching - very pleased - I especially like the LED colored light strips in the vehicle
2. Highway mileage - have been getting 23mpg - which for the car's size I think it's not bad at all
3. Smooth, comfortable and safe ride - I use the adaptive cruise control often and the LKAS / lane assistant system
4. The large center display is really nice / clear - the backup cam is crazy high resolution - better than any car I've had
5. Lots of cargo space with the third row seats down
6. Love that the side mirrors collapse in when the car is locked
7. Love the accent lighting outside in the door handles etc.

Top 7 Bad

1. I hate that the wireless charging pad cannot be used at this time for iPhone 12s and 13s - super annoying since it takes up so much real estate in the center
2. The transmission isn't smooth when at lower speeds - the car gets slightly jumpy
3. The HUD doesn't show me turn by turn directions when using CarPlay - it doesn't work for Waze, Google Maps or Apple Maps - however, if you wait 20 mins into a ride, suddenly the HUD will start displaying the list of turn by turn directions from Google Maps or Apple Maps from the beginning suddenly, which is really odd - it will go through them quickly until it comes to the current direction and then it seems to be fine ... ???
4. When I play certain music with heavy bass the front doors vibrate in such a way that it makes a loud irritating noise - and it happens when the volume is as low as 10 to 12. If you push on the doors with your knee or hand, the vibration/noise stops. It's not a problem with the speakers. I think it is the way the doors were constructed.
5. The side screen on the center display is still glitchy (I had the same issues in my 2020 RDX Advance) - it will display the incorrect song art when using Apple CarPlay - it doesn't always catch up to the current song
6. The kick underneath feature to open the trunk doesn't always work for me
7. I wish there was more storage space in the front console area

Would love to hear from others what their favorite and least favorite things are about their new MDX

Mike

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've now had my 2022 MDX Advance SH-AWD for about 2,000 miles and here are my top 7 favorite things so far about my new car and my least favorite 7 things:

Top 7 Good:

1. Beautiful car - interior and exterior - styling, seats, stitching - very pleased - I especially like the LED colored light strips in the vehicle
2. Highway mileage - have been getting 23mpg - which for the car's size I think it's bad at all
3. Smooth, comfortable and safe ride - I use the adaptive cruise control often and the LKAS / lane assistant system
4. The large center display is really nice / clear - the backup cam is crazy high resolution - better than any car I've had
5. Lots of cargo space with the third row seats down
6. Love that the side mirrors collapse in when the car is locked
7. Love the accent lighting outside in the door handles etc.

Top 7 Bad

1. I hate that the wireless charging pad cannot be used at this time for iPhone 12s and 13s - super annoying since it takes up so much real estate in the center
2. The transmission isn't smooth when at lower speeds - the car gets slightly jumpy
3. The HUD doesn't show me turn by turn directions when using CarPlay - it doesn't work for Waze, Google Maps or Apple Maps - however, if you wait 20 mins into a ride, suddenly the HUD will start displaying the list of turn by turn directions from Google Maps or Apple Maps from the beginning suddenly, which is really odd - it will go through them quickly until it comes to the current direction and then it seems to be fine ... ???
4. When I play certain music with heavy bass the front doors vibrate in such a way that it makes a loud irritating noise - and it happens when the volume is as low as 10 to 12. If you push on the doors with your knee or hand, the vibration/noise stops - not the speakers. I think it is the way the doors were constructed.
5. The side screen on the center display is still glitchy (I had the same issues in my 2020 RDX Advance) - it will display the incorrect song art when using Apple CarPlay - it doesn't always catch up to the current song
6. The kick underneath feature to open the trunk doesn't always work for me
7. I wish there was more storage space in the front console area

Would love to hear from others what their favorite and least favorite things are about their new MDX

Mike
I agree with your top 7 altho I had 4-7 on my previous SUV.. for the Bottom 7,

1. yes very annoying. my wireless charging stand at home charges an iPhone X, iPhone 11, iPhone 13..so is it the iPhone that is the problem?
2. yes..mine even didn't move when at a stand still for a second.
3. Is the HUD suppose to be color? never seen anything but white. never seen turn-by-turn on it with Waze, Google or Apple Maps.
4. not sure this happens to me..I will set the bass towards the front and test it
5. not a fan of this whole system
6. this is very annoying...seems like you have to be approx 2 feet away for it to work. too close or too far and it will not work. I kicked this until my shinbone was hitting the panel.
7. yes..they could have expanded the console and placed the charge pad on the side with a phone holder inside. My BMW X5 had it that way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
4. When I play certain music with heavy bass the front doors vibrate in such a way that it makes a loud irritating noise - and it happens when the volume is as low as 10 to 12. If you push on the doors with your knee or hand, the vibration/noise stops. It's not a problem with the speakers. I think it is the way the doors were constructed.

I had this for the front passenger door. Yours might have the same cause, but it would go away pressing against the door panel.

Unscrew the center door panel screw and the two screws behind handle, pop off the door panel. There's a woofer low and toward the front of the car, and the door panel has a circular cutout that goes around the speaker. The speaker has a metal surround. Wrap some rubber bands or something around the metal surround. Pop door panel back on, check to see if the problem is gone.

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX Adv
46 Posts
Closing in on 2000 miles with MDX Advance Fathom Blue Pearl (July)...

Not an iPhone user but can certainly appreciate the quirks and pains of Android Auto updates, etc. with ALL my cars.
I've been lucky so far with experiencing minor, first year, next gen issues.

Good

Styling - inside and out.
ALL the safety features.
Panoramic roof.
360/side/back cameras.
Android Auto works great 95% of the time.

Bad

The liftgate "kick" doesn't work all the time.
One time, minor issue with the A/C blowing hot air for 20 minutes... "fixed" after pressing SYNC... chalking that up to software.

Panel gaps are extremely minor AND I've mastered the Infotainment touchpad and screen so I wouldn't even consider them "bad"...

I am loving my car so far!
Coming from a 2004 Honda Pilot!

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX Advance
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I had this for the front passenger door. Yours might have the same cause, but it would go away pressing against the door panel.

Unscrew the center door panel screw and the two screws behind handle, pop off the door panel. There's a woofer low and toward the front of the car, and the door panel has a circular cutout that goes around the speaker. The speaker has a metal surround. Wrap some rubber bands or something around the metal surround. Pop door panel back on, check to see if the problem is gone.
Thanks will see about having that done

·
Registered
116 Posts
Closing in on 2000 miles with MDX Advance Fathom Blue Pearl (July)...

Not an iPhone user but can certainly appreciate the quirks and pains of Android Auto updates, etc. with ALL my cars.
I've been lucky so far with experiencing minor, first year, next gen issues.

Good

Styling - inside and out.
ALL the safety features.
Panoramic roof.
360/side/back cameras.
Android Auto works great 95% of the time.

Bad

The liftgate "kick" doesn't work all the time.
One time, minor issue with the A/C blowing hot air for 20 minutes... "fixed" after pressing SYNC... chalking that up to software.

Panel gaps are extremely minor AND I've mastered the Infotainment touchpad and screen so I wouldn't even consider them "bad"...

I am loving my car so far!
Coming from a 2004 Honda Pilot!
Glad to hear that you are having good luck with Android Auto... That is what I will be using once my MDX arrives, but I really only ever see people talk about apple.

I've heard lots of grumbling about the infotainment system but after just two test drives I felt like I understood it pretty well. I'm coming from a 2012 MDX so it probably helps that I'm not used to touch screens and won't miss that aspect.

When I did my test drive I noticed it took the AC a while to get cold. Have you noticed that issue?

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX Adv
46 Posts
Glad to hear that you are having good luck with Android Auto... That is what I will be using once my MDX arrives, but I really only ever see people talk about apple.

I've heard lots of grumbling about the infotainment system but after just two test drives I felt like I understood it pretty well. I'm coming from a 2012 MDX so it probably helps that I'm not used to touch screens and won't miss that aspect.

When I did my test drive I noticed it took the AC a while to get cold. Have you noticed that issue?
Out of my three vehicles, Android Auto has been almost flawless on the MDX.
On my other vehicles, 2018 CR-V and 2004 Pilot, I've dealt with some issues that cropped up here and there like having to reconnect Bluetooth and recognizing different cell phones in the household. I replaced my Pilot's OEM CD player/radio with a double-DIN Sony Android Auto/Apple Carplay head unit. My wife's Samsung behaves differently than my OnePlus (or older HTC) when it came to Android Auto updates and issues.

When turning off the vehicle, give your cell phone a few moments before unplugging the USB cord to catch up.
I've tried wireless Android Auto but felt there was some quirky, minor lag issues I didn't want to deal with.

Neither my wife nor I have wireless charging capable cell phones.
I've turned off the charging pad but use it for my holding my cell phone in place with the USB plugged in.
It charges while Android Auto operates.

As for the infotainment system, I highly recommend removing apps (icons) you don't need or use.
Once ALL your car settings are set, seldom will you fiddle around with the touchpad while driving.
Voice commands (through Android Auto) work very well for Google Maps.

From what I can gather, AC seems to be a mixed bag depending on who you ask.
Is the vehicle operating in cold or hot weather? Is it humid or dry outside?
Are drivers' expectations different from each other based on their previous experiences with other cars?
Also, HCFC refrigerant was phased out by 2020 to protect the ozone layer.
I am not an expert on which system (old or new) is colder and/or more efficient, but it takes a little longer to cool my MDX (vs my other vehicles).
And I did mention the one-time software glitch of getting HOT air until I pressed SYNC for AC.... Weird.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes. Same for Android Auto. The only solution (for now) is to use Acura's Navigation while listening to music from USB.
Does the on board navigation do a pretty good job? My 2012 doesn't have traffic etc built in without paying for a yearly subscription. I think from what I've read my 2022 tech has traffic built in for "free". 😁

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX Adv
46 Posts
Does the on board navigation do a pretty good job? My 2012 doesn't have traffic etc built in without paying for a yearly subscription. I think from what I've read my 2022 tech has traffic built in for "free". 😁
Looks like you're right but now I'm curious about a side-by-side traffic comparison of the on-board Navigation and Android Auto...

Map Slope Font Line Urban design

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think it sucks. Has not rerouted me to alternate route due to traffic, yet. Hence the reason why I use Waze.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's my 3+/3-

Good:
1. Removable 2nd row middle seat. Game changer; can load 4 sets of skis and haul 3 passengers.
2. Front seat comfort: Main reason I left the Jeep brand after 17 years.
3. Interior: Outstanding (except piano black has me vacuuming constantly vs seldom).

Bad:
1. Track pad: I might eat this if I ever get comfy with it, but right now it's as dangerous as texting and driving. My M3's spin wheel is leagues superior. And should be interesting in winter.
2. Headrests: Too far forward. That last 1/4 cup of coffee...good luck without being able to tilt your head back, as your head is always pinned against the headrest. (And it adjusts even farther forward...??).
3. Road noise: Huge adjustment vs Grand Cherokee. Did not notice that on the smoother roads I test drove it on, but very annoying on standard highway surface. (Lotsa thread chatter on this so nuf said here).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's my 3+/3-

Bad:
1. Track pad: I might eat this if I ever get comfy with it, but right now it's as dangerous as texting and driving. My M3's spin wheel is leagues superior. And should be interesting in winter.
I still need to get use to this...a pain to try to use this with Waze. still poke the screen or look for that wheel from time to time...

3. Road noise: Huge adjustment vs Grand Cherokee. Did not notice that on the smoother roads I test drove it on, but very annoying on standard highway surface. (Lotsa thread chatter on this so nuf said here).
could it be the tires? i intend to change to Michelin Cross Climate wheen these Alenzas go...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Beerhunter2 Yes, lengthy threads on this...feedback was it was night & day diff with Michelin Primacy Tour. I pursued them but they are not to be found. Local shop could find none in their supplier channels; out of stock across north america. Acura dealer called the Michelin rep and nada.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts