Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2022 mdx advance at The end of December. It has less than 3000 miles on it so far.
I check, reset my mpg computer every fill up and with driving in the city only I can’t pass 13.5 mpg.
I drive 2 miles to work, store, school to pick up kids and just locally.
I tried normal mode, comfort mode, manual settings and nothing Makes it better.
I tried to accelerate by barely touching gas pedal to keep below 2000 rpm, I was accelerating so slowly that I created traffic behind me and with that type of drying still stays below 14 mpg.
No matter how I drive that’s all I get. Where Is that advertised 19 mpg in the city ????

Any thoughts guys?
TXX

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
516 Posts
How many stop lights and stop signs do you think you hit on a daily basis in those 2 miles? I find that stop signs and stop lights kill it for me, but certainly nothing down to 14mpg.

Additionally, how much do you think time do you think you spend idling? (ie dropping the kids off at school, etc?) Idle time destroys the gas mileage calculator in my experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many stop lights and stop signs do you think you hit on a daily basis in those 2 miles? I find that stop signs and stop lights kill it for me, but certainly nothing down to 14mpg.

Additionally, how much do you think time do you think you spend idling? (ie dropping the kids off at school, etc?) Idle time destroys the gas mileage calculator in my experience.
i have to park the car and walk them to school. Same for picking them up, park the car and go get them.
As for stopping and idle at red lights I think that that’s normal city driving.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
516 Posts
i have to park the car and walk them to school. Same for picking them up, park the car and go get them.
As for stopping and idle at red lights I think that that’s normal city driving.
Yeah, I mean 14 is way low in my opinion, but I’ve never actually done true city driving on a consistent basis. For the handful of times I’ve been in the city, 17mpg seems to be about as low as I’ve gotten. But stop and go stop light traffic in the city, definitely kills it. It seems like yours is definitely getting lower than expected MPGs.

@Almatti If I recall correctly, you have pretty low MPG too, right? Maybe you can weigh-in here. I just don’t do enough true city driving to add too much.

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
295 Posts
Its an naturally aspirated 6 cyl so you are not gaining much efficiency by accelerating ultra slowly. You can accelerate normally.

Your main issue is too many stops by the sound of it.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Getting 14-15 mpg was my normal city mpgs in my 2nd Gen sh-awd 11 MDX 3.7L 6AT at +4500lbs.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S Platinum White Pearl
84 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, but on a type s. Driving short distances and stopping plays a huge factor. I get around 14 mpg city driving local around town doing errands. But when I take 2 hour drives, I get around 15.5 - 16 mpg if I'm lucky.

I'm always in Sport + so that doesn't help out the mpg either - Gotta enjoy driving regardless of the low mpg :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
It also could be the short drives. If the engine isn't coming up to FULL operating temperature you're not going to get the best fuel economy. On a 2 mile drive chances are it's still running rich. I suspect once it warms up and you drive a bit further distances it'll come up significantly - especially with less stop and go. I hate to say it, but 2 mile trips with lots of stop and go are really the sweet spot for EVs. I'm fairly convinced my wife's next car <should> (but still might not) be an EV cause she does 3 miles to drop the kids off and 3 miles back. Rinse and repeat twice a day. Our Pilot is getting like 14.5 mpg doing it too. It's painful.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I bought 2022 mdx advance at The end of December. It has less than 3000 miles on it so far.
I check, reset my mpg computer every fill up and with driving in the city only I can’t pass 13.5 mpg.
I tried to accelerate by barely touching gas pedal to keep below 2000 rpm, I was accelerating so slowly that I created traffic behind me and with that type of drying still stays below 14 mpg.
No matter how I drive that’s all I get. Where Is that advertised 19 mpg in the city ????

Any thoughts guys?
TXX
Kefiro. I'm in the same Boat as you. Same driving protocols here in Suburbia NY. Even "Milking" in Normal mode, best i can achieve in City driving is 13.5 MPGs. In fact, the last fill up with premium (OUCH !!!), doing basically the same driving manners, I'm at 12.3 MPGs right mow. Gravely disappointing, despite how much I like the car. So, 1 thing that I am looking at or will be looking at is Did the Oil companies comply with the recent requests form our illustrative administration and pump the gasoline up to 15% Ethanol ? That will drive your MPGs Down as well. And we are on Summer Blend Gasoline, I presume?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
13.5 MPG purely in the city driving is pretty good for a seven seater. Second gen MDX does 11-12, for example. You should not expect a more conservative fuel consumption in your specific situation (short city trips)

Where Is that advertised 19 mpg in the city ????
That is just average in ideal conditions. Your conditions are obviously far away from those.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The good thing about SUVs/CUVs are they are perfect for EV or hybrid tech. They already in the 2 ton to 2 1/2 ton range, plenty of room to hide EV tech without compromising interior space, easier to add awd, and a lot of utility/flexibility for a wider range of activities compared to an EV/hybrid sedan. I wish Acura would of kept the Sport Hybrid powertrain for the +22 MDX. My 19 MDX hybrid can sometimes see +30 mpgs on short trip and rush hour traffic (avg 24-26 mpgs per 19.4 gas tank). Never saw below 21 mpgs on coldest day during winter in my hybrid.

Reactions: brian_tii

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Do you think folks had the same arguments back in days when whale oil was a limited resource and it had a negative impact on the whale population. Pretty sure most folks would say "We need a administration to bring down whale oil prices and we need to kill more WHALES!" on one side and another group saying "we need to explore, develop, and transition to alternative energy sources like this black oily stuff coming out the ground in Pennsylvania".

Crude oil today is now our whale oil of old. Everyone will think you are F--ing crazy to want to go back to whale ships to harvest whale oil today. Our Great Great Grandkids will probably think the same thing about us with crude oil +100 years from now. The future is electric for now; but, most of us just can't understand, imagine it, and/or want it. I think those people are called Amish?

Reactions: YTT

·
Registered
2019 advance red pearl parchment
196 Posts
When I’m driving in traffic in Brooklyn NY At times it can take an hour to go a mile.That’s 3 times a week to pick up my Grandaughter.I’ll average 8.5mpg

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Wait until it costs $150 to fill your tank at $8 a gallon, you MAY have a change of heart. Hopefully, Gas shortages with Gas Lines to Fill up don't erupt too. That was a fun time in the late 70s. I remember it well
I filled up yesterday and noticed the total for the first time in a long time and it was just over $100 for the tank (in about the most expensive area in the country for gas thanks to California taxes and other factors). That's quite a lot. Luckily my 2014 MDX gets relatively good mileage but that doesn't change the cost for a tank of gas. I definitely do remember the gas lines of the Carter days as I sat in some then and had to strategize the best place and time to get gas while minimizing line sitting - that was in a car that didn't go terribly far on a tank of gas.

I also remember the Federally imposed 55mph national speed limit which was virtually impossible to do when driving in the open stretches of the southwest on freeways designed for much faster than that with great visibility and few cars on them. Imagine a type 'S' with the smooth suspension on an empty straight desert freeway at 55 - it'd feel like standing still.

The supply and demand equation is certainly one of the major causes of the cost, along with taxes imposed per gallon.

I think $150/tank is becoming within reach, like it or not.

People will believe what they want to believe as to the causes of the current dramatic escalation in gas prices so I'll stay out of the political aspect of it so as to not spew schtick.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
You should walk, it's only a mile.
That's a good idea for those who can. I'm retired now but I walk all over the place and I don't live in NYC where it's easy to walk to stores and such. I routinely will walk 7 or 8 mile round trips with a backpack on if I need something at the grocery or box of nails at Home Depot. It's quite freeing to walk rather than drive. I live in about the most ideal area climate wise for it though - it's not as simple if one lives in a very cold or very hot area.

It's also not practical if the purpose of the drive is to pick up a grandchild who may not be able to do a one mile walk.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Any thoughts guys?
TXX

We have a 2022 MDX SH-AWD and we are averaging 13-14MPG in the city as well. We use premium fuel. I keep the tires filled. And, I don't drive like a teenager. In my Accord V6, I averaged 23.5 in the city. In our 2012 TSX 4Cyl I average 25-26MPG in the city. On the highway, we get GARBAGE gas mileage in the MDX too.
I'd like to point out that we match or exceed the sticker mpg in our other cars. So, there is no driver error at play here. Acura should be held accountable for such atrocious real world fuel economy relative to the sticker.
Perhaps they will do a recall 🤷‍♂️

This is an issue that if i were to receive a class action invite in the mail, i'd actually join.

I'd be GLAD to sell it and buy a different car. In this market, we probably wouldn't lose money on the MDX.. But, we'd probably get screwed on whatever we replaced it with. Huge Bummer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Please spare us your schtick about the president causing or having any control over high gas prices. It would all be ignorant to the fact that refineries are the ones responsible for the high gas prices. Oil has previously been at comparable prices for crude and gasoline was half the price at the pump.

The one and only reason that we have the gas prices we see today is the fault of a de-regulated capitalist market. I'm fine with that personally, sounds like you are not.
Any irony that virtually NONE of the endless list of disastrous situations we have now existed 2 years ago?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts