Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 2022 advanced MDX on Apr 9 2021. It was a beautiful red color and I loved it from the moment it rolled off the delivery truck. Going Home and pulling into our driveway, all 4 wheels lock up and collision alarm came on. Did it again going down the Freeway. With nothing in front of us. 3 weeks later. As we were preparing to go to Colorado for my grandsons wedding, noticed the drivers side fog light was pointing 20ft into the air Instead of straight ahead. Went to the dealership and told them what was going on. But really just wanted the fog light fixed for our trip for now. They took it back to service and then informed me the bracket holding the fog light was broken and they needed to send it to body shop and have the bumper removed to fix it. The pay shop found almost 3 thousand dollars of damage behind the bumper and even told us they needed to replace the bumper because it would not line-up. THE CAR HAD 500 MILES ON IT AT THIS POINT. They had the car for 3 weeks, and the paperwork from their Body shop and their service department said it appeared the the car was damaged, before the bumper went on! Very disappointed in Acura Customer relations! They fixed the car, but don't want to take any responsibility for how or why this happened. Their attitude is "well we fixed it at our cost" Talking to Acura Corporation, Gets me person after person telling me they will get back to me in a couple of days and then 2 weeks later I get a " new supervisor calling me, talking tome and again hearing I will call you in a couple of days. The current supervisor called me in July and have not heard from them since. And a sidenote... once the damage was fixed, the car no longer get has a problem with locking up the wheels and giving g collision warning! Sounds like sensorbehind the bumper had an issue! DCH Dealership sales and service have been wonderful, it is Acura management at the Corp. Level that has been so disappointing. Has anyone else noticed a manufacturing defect?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
They fixed the car, but don't want to take any responsibility for how or why this happened. Their attitude is "well we fixed it at our cost"
What else do you expect of them other than fixing it at their cost? Fixing it at their cost 'is' taking responsibility for it since if you had an accident that caused the damage they wouldn't fix it on their dime.

I agree that it's pretty bad it was apparently damaged before you received it but things happen, including damage in transit, and it's hard to say what the history is but the dealer service department can really only deal with what they're presented and fix the issue. I doubt anyone will be able to figure out what happened that caused this.

I'm glad it corrected your other issues. If it was me I'd probably just move on and enjoy it from now on but keep an eye out for any other quirks that might pop up in the next few months and few hundred miles that might be related to this.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I’m not sure what you want Customer relations to do. They have fixed the car. This means they have taken responsibility. Do you want a new car? Can’t imagine how that happened. Must have fallen off the assembly line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Purchased a 2022 advanced MDX on Apr 9 2021. It was a beautiful red color and I loved it from the moment it rolled off the delivery truck. Going Home and pulling into our driveway, all 4 wheels lock up and collision alarm came on. Did it again going down the Freeway. With nothing in front of us. 3 weeks later. As we were preparing to go to Colorado for my grandsons wedding, noticed the drivers side fog light was pointing 20ft into the air Instead of straight ahead. Went to the dealership and told them what was going on. But really just wanted the fog light fixed for our trip for now. They took it back to service and then informed me the bracket holding the fog light was broken and they needed to send it to body shop and have the bumper removed to fix it. The pay shop found almost 3 thousand dollars of damage behind the bumper and even told us they needed to replace the bumper because it would not line-up. THE CAR HAD 500 MILES ON IT AT THIS POINT. They had the car for 3 weeks, and the paperwork from their Body shop and their service department said it appeared the the car was damaged, before the bumper went on! Very disappointed in Acura Customer relations! They fixed the car, but don't want to take any responsibility for how or why this happened. Their attitude is "well we fixed it at our cost" Talking to Acura Corporation, Gets me person after person telling me they will get back to me in a couple of days and then 2 weeks later I get a " new supervisor calling me, talking tome and again hearing I will call you in a couple of days. The current supervisor called me in July and have not heard from them since. And a sidenote... once the damage was fixed, the car no longer get has a problem with locking up the wheels and giving g collision warning! Sounds like sensorbehind the bumper had an issue! DCH Dealership sales and service have been wonderful, it is Acura management at the Corp. Level that has been so disappointing. Has anyone else noticed a manufacturing defect?
You should check Carfax to see if there is any reference to the damage. If there is, you will take a hit on the trade in due to the "accident". That is known as "diminished value" and Acura should be responsible for that. I speak from first hand knowledge. Hopefully as a repair it won't show on Carfax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the comments. And I agree, I am happy that they fixed it. I guess what I was struggling with was that one person at Corp. Seem to want to believe, I did the damage, when their service dept and body shop said on their paperwork, that the damage only behind the bumper with no exterior damage. And it was really hard to see my new 62,000 dollar car with the whole front end torn apart three weeks after I bought it. There is an expected response from a premium car brand like Acura. Not an "oh well" attitude. Even a response, saying they were going to check their quality control program. I hope that mine is the only car like this, and that was why I posted it. And I am enjoying the car. Now that I have it back!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Sorry to hear this. My good buddy is a Teamster and drives new cars off of the ships or trains onto the lot. He says they run the hell out of the cars and rat race them so much that collisions happen. It happens so much that they have a body shop at the terminal that is always busy. So check your car car carefully before you buy it, even if it is brand new.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry to hear this. My good buddy is a Teamster and drives new cars off of the ships or trains onto the lot. He says they run the hell out of the cars and rat race them so much that collisions happen. It happens so much that they have a body shop at the terminal that is always busy. So check your car car carefully before you buy it, even if it is brand new.
So your advice is to "look for the union label" and assume damage from same?

I would be concerned that the selling dealer didn't pick up at least some of these issues upon receipt of shipment or while prepping the car for customer delivery.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
And it was really hard to see my new 62,000 dollar car with the whole front end torn apart three weeks after I bought it.
Just think of it this way - the whole car was probably apart three weeks before you bought it as well (not built yet). But I understand what you mean.

Not an "oh well" attitude.
I agree - they should be apologetic and at least feel bad for you but the service people spend their entire days just fixing things that went wrong, including mistakes made at the factory or in transport, and things that fail that shouldn't have failed yet. Almost everyone who brought their vehicle in for service that week outside of the routine fluid changes and brake jobs has an issue to deal with they didn't expect to have to deal with but this is what warranty work is all about - and what the service people do routinely all day long. That goes for all brands of vehicles, even expensive one (which can actually have more things go wrong due to having more gadgets and features).

Still - the issue with yours was pretty egregious.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-SPEC Liquid Carbon Metallic/Black Interior
69 Posts
Will this damage show up on carfax if it was repaired this way?
If it shows up on Carfax, I would demand for Acura to take the car back and replace it. If they disagree or ignore your request, my recommendation is to contact a lawyer!

·
Registered
59 Posts
So sorry to hear this. It would be a little disconcerting to me to buy a $60K vehicle and then find out about something like this had happened to my vehicle before I took possession of it. I have to agree with what "thumper" said - if this damage shows up on Carfax I would demand that Acura replace the vehicle. I would refer this to an attorney and let them handle it if indeed it does show up on the Carfax and they disagree or ignore you. Good luck with this - hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
974 Posts
So your advice is to "look for the union label" and assume damage from same?

I would be concerned that the selling dealer didn't pick up at least some of these issues upon receipt of shipment or while prepping the car for customer delivery.
My dealer tells me they inspect their cars and can tell if the teamster autobody shop has worked on the car. Still, I always do my own careful inspection before signing the papers.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If it shows up on Carfax, I would demand for Acura to take the car back and replace it. If they disagree or ignore your request, my recommendation is to contact a lawyer!
Damage done during shipping and by transporter and fixed by the transporter DOES NOT show up on carfax. The car is not registered and is fixed privately. I am sure your dealer can tell you some good stories. My buddy has lots.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry for your dismay and disgust, I would be, Big Time !! I'll tell a similar type story - not to your extent, but relative to delivery of a new car Nonetheless. In June 2019, I leased a new MDX Advance from a local Dealer in Westchester County, NY. Drove it home on local roads, enjoying my new purchase: Canyon Bronze Metallic with a Espresso Leather Interior. I drove it the next day on the highway, commuting to work (Thank God That's Over !!! I', now 70, and retired this May with some spinal disabilities), and noticed the steering wheel and body Shimmey. Hey I have driven a lot of Cars in my adult lifetime, I knew it was a unbalanced Wheel. Had to wait about 1 week for a service appt. Then the party ensued. They Rebalance the Front Wheels only ?? How stupid is that ... They were looking to save money. Drive it home on the highway, same thing - a little bit better, but the shimmey is still there. Then they Rebalance all wheels this time, (you wanjt Road Force wheel balancing - it's the Best system ), better but still there. Back again. This time, go for a drive with a Tech. They find a bent wheel rim. They attempt to "fix" it. NG. Then after a discussion with the Service Manager and the Customer Service Manager at the dealership, they agree to Replace the Rim with No charge. I did NOT hit any potholes, etc.. So either it was a Bent Rim form the Maker or damaged upon delivery (off the Truck as described by another Poster). After the new rim comes in and is installed..... Success, nice and smooth. The dealership either with or without Acura Regional instruction was attempting to have me accept the "fixed" rim. NO Way Jose... I'm a stubborn Bastard when it comes to these things. Perseverance works..
My new 2022 MDX upon inspection at home a few days after getting it, showed a loose rubber flap under the front bumper at the corner by the Fog Lights ... at both corners. Looking at it closely, it was loose at both corners, because a Clip fastener was missing. When I brought my car in to meet the salesman who offers Free Instruction Classes to their customers every Friday (to teach you how to use the Touch Pad, or anything else), told the salesman about the loose flaps. He had me over to service and they installed the fasteners on the spot...
Another story, with my 2007 Infiniti G35 (probably the best car I ever owned to that point anyway, the new MDX is in that Category Now), after about a year of driving it, I thought I felt some abrupt shifts in the Tranny. I mentioned it to my Service Rep at the dealership Pepe Infiniti in White Plains NY, who were great), they test drove it , confirmed the existence of the abrupt shift, attained immediate approval form Infiniti, and replaced the Tranny Without Question or Delay... Holy Sh*t , what service. I would not have received that with a Buick, or Caddy for sure... There probably was a TSB about the issue from Infiniti. Which brings to mind this advice... Periodically, you should check on line about TSBs issued for the car. The dealers don't mention it Unless you mention a problem that you have: Losoe fittings/ parts, funny shifts, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts