Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wondering if anyone has experience this or knows where to find out details on this if it is a feature. My 2022 MDX just shuts off if you are sitting in park for 20 minutes. I live in Arizona and the temps are warm and I'm waiting for my daughter while at dance so I have the vehicle on while waiting for the 45 minutes. Right around 20 minutes the vehicle just shuts off for no reason. It's not the auto stop/start feature that is disabled and plus the vehicle does not turn back on. Is this an issue or some feature I can't find in the book?

2022 MDX Advance model if it matters.

Thanks
I saw there was a module for the OBD port on Ford pick ups that defeats this system. It is a plug and play that takes just seconds and is removable in seconds as well. It creates a memory of the drivers request and holds that until the vehicles system button is pushed again. So the system can be activated or deactivated with the dash switch but just holds the system in place for the last request. I would prefer this to having to tear apart the dash.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Obviously you didn’t read the previous posts. This post has nothing to do with the stop/start feature. This is about the safety feature built into the MDX that turns off the car if left idling too long.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
As a person who walks a lot it irritates me when I have to walk by vehicles just idling in a parking lot with the driver just sitting there for extended periods of time. I hate having that exhaust just belching out at me for no good reason. I just don't get why people even do this in anything outside of extreme climates but I see it regularly when the temps are nice, 70s/low 80s and rather than opening a window and enjoying the fresh air they're sitting in there idling and usually playing with their phone.

Given this - on the one hand I don't mind seeing some auto shutoff but otoh I don't like that level of control so would vote for no auto shut off even though I prefer the vehicle to be shut off.

End of rant.

·
Registered
507 Posts
more states and localities are also instituting max idle time allowed for vehicles, usually around 20 minutes. I suspect the shutoff is
a) concern about possible CO poisoning in enclosed spaces
b) complying with max idle times in most locations.
c) long continous idle is NOT good on most gasoline engine longevities.

And acura/honda isn't the only mfg having a max idle time before engine shutoff.

Nice thing about our 2019 MDX hybrid is that it doesn't have this "feature". When I'm waiting in the car, engine stops, everything including AC or heat runs on the HV battery for 5-10 minutes, then the engine will start and run for a few minutes to charge up the battery pack, shut off and repeat.
To solve the "running in the garage" problem, if you open the door w/o shutting off the car, the engine will start and continue to run for a short time or until you shut off the car, or close the door and drive off. The engine starting up is a good reminder that you forgot to turn the car off.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts