Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has experience this or knows where to find out details on this if it is a feature. My 2022 MDX just shuts off if you are sitting in park for 20 minutes. I live in Arizona and the temps are warm and I'm waiting for my daughter while at dance so I have the vehicle on while waiting for the 45 minutes. Right around 20 minutes the vehicle just shuts off for no reason. It's not the auto stop/start feature that is disabled and plus the vehicle does not turn back on. Is this an issue or some feature I can't find in the book?

2022 MDX Advance model if it matters.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wondering if anyone has experience this or knows where to find out details on this if it is a feature. My 2022 MDX just shuts off if you are sitting in park for 20 minutes. I live in Arizona and the temps are warm and I'm waiting for my daughter while at dance so I have the vehicle on while waiting for the 45 minutes. Right around 20 minutes the vehicle just shuts off for no reason. It's not the auto stop/start feature that is disabled and plus the vehicle does not turn back on. Is this an issue or some feature I can't find in the book?

Thanks

Is this a safety feature in case one is left on in a garage? New Toyotas and GMs have an auto shutoff after a certain amount of time for that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The 2020 has an option in driver customization to change the duration or disable this auto-shutoff when in park without the key nearby. Edit: I looked and can't find this setting in the manual, though I remember I saw/set it right after I bought the car. All I can find in the manual is a comment that the 2020 auto shutoff is 30-60 minutes.

The 2022 is a whole new generation, but look in the manual for the option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was told by the salesperson that the 2022 has an auto-shutoff at about 15 mins. I live in Wisconsin so the winters are cold. After it snows the sales staff has to start all the cars and move them so they can plow the snow. They noticed all the 2022 would turn off after 15 mins or so. That feature was built into the software. I don’t think there is away around that inconvenience.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Is this a safety feature in case one is left on in a garage? New Toyotas and GMs have an auto shutoff after a certain amount of time for that.
There have been many news stories of people dying from CO poisoning, with cars left running in garages. My suggestion would be to not arrive so early or restart the car.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
There have been many news stories of people dying from CO poisoning, with cars left running in garages. My suggestion would be to not arrive so early or restart the car.
I misread it. Obviously you drive her and are now waiting. Just restart the car.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,646 Posts
He said nothing about being stranded. I assume he meant like the auto start.
Right around 20 minutes the vehicle just shuts off for no reason. It's not the auto stop/start feature that is disabled and plus the vehicle does not turn back on. Is this an issue or some feature I can't find in the book?

I believe you misread this portion of OP's post, especially the Stop/Start feature being disabled.

OP, its a new level of BSery from auto-manufacturers, that caved in from the Karens and the idiots. The MDX is literally the most idiot proof vehicle in the market if you look at it. Same can be said for the RDX & TLX. Hopefully, a mum & pop shop can program that horrible feature out, and could even permanently disable the stop/start feature if you want.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Aspec / 2019 Ridgeline Sport / 2007 335i Coupe
45 Posts
Wow I did not even know about the automatic turn off. My wife sometimes sits in the car waiting for my daughter to get out of practice. I guess I will talk to her about it. Maybe the opening of the door will solve the restart issue or a lock/unlock with the key fob.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'd assume this is a feature, and one with good potential to not cause potential harm if the engine's left on in a garage. Although I don't like nanny features and wish they'd provide a way to disable them if they insist on including them, it seems simple enough to just restart the engine if one insists on sitting in it idling for extended periods of time.

Personally I wouldn't sit in a car idling for 45 minutes just to have a/c on even in the ridiculous heat of Phoenix (I lived there before - with a car without a/c) but that's just me. It can also be unsafe if there are any routes for the exhaust to enter the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I believe you misread this portion of OP's post, especially the Stop/Start feature being disabled.

OP, its a new level of BSery from auto-manufacturers, that caved in from the Karens and the idiots. The MDX is literally the most idiot proof vehicle in the market if you look at it. Same can be said for the RDX & TLX. Hopefully, a mum & pop shop can program that horrible feature out, and could even permanently disable the stop/start feature if you want.
don’t know what this has to do with the “karen” phenomenon. How is turning off the car after being in park for 20 minutes a horrible feature? Especially since there have been dozens of cases of people not turning off their cars and dying. Of course people who are intent on suicide by CO poisoning would be very upset with this feature.
Maybe OP will chime in with what he meant by car not turning back on. Thank you for helping me interpret.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks
Is this related to remote start?

·
Registered
2019 advance red pearl parchment
139 Posts

Thanks
This is the first time I’m hearing about this issue I have a 19 advance I do know if I use the remote start in the winter It’ll shut off in 10 minutes unless i restart again before 20 minutes is up Then it’ll run for 20 But there’s times waiting for the wife to get out of the doctors And the car will run forever Maybe the weight sensor in the seat doesn’t know your in it That is if you’re sitting in the car the whole time
Bottom line I think the car shouldn’t shut off as long as it knows you’re in the driver’s seat I may be wrong but mine does shut off if I leave it run or in acc mode to hear the radio while working on the car and it shuts off after about 20 minutes But if I’m sitting in the car it’ll run for hours

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thanks
Did u ask the dealer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
See owner's manual P.439 on the lower right hand corner under "Stopping the Engine" on the lower right hand corner.
That was is...thanks for sharing the page in the book. I guess I met all the conditions for power lock mode. My daughter opened the door while I was parked with my seat belt not fastened. My 2018 TLX did not have this feature nor does our 2018 Pilot....must be something new or just an MDX thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks
I have a 2020 MDX and a 2017 RLX. One cold winters day last year the 2017 RLX FOB battery died and I was changing the battery inside the house and when I went to the garage the car was running and the garage was smoke filled. I inadvertently remote started the car when I was putting the FOB in a blue rubber FOB sleeve. I called the dealership the next morning and was told that the car would have shut off in 20 minutes. Which is a good safety feature in my case or I wouldn't be writing this!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts