Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealer today looking at the 2020 MDX Hybrid. Learning it was lacking a heads up display was a disappointment, but the sales rep mentioned that the 2021 model will have it. Rumor is that it will be introduced early 2020 and available late summer. It will include a body redesign. I am not sure what designates a new generation. Would a body style change be considered a new gen? Photos of potential 2021 MDX

·
Registered
495 Posts
2021 will be a complete redesign which would technically make it 4th gen. still largely kept under wraps and little to nothing is known about it yet or if they'll offer hybrid right out of the gate

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
MDX is due for the re-design. HUD is not standard on all trim, but should be standard on Advance model.

You might have the new design for 2021, but without much discount in 8~10 months (Hybrid version might delay even further on delivery). Or you could go with current model with greater discount.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if i am the only one, but the front face looks like CX-9
I completely agree! I can see a bit of the CX-9 design in the shape of the windows when looking at the MDX's side profile, too.

No complaints from me. I think the CX-9 is a great looking SUV, especially the interior design, though it is not as spacious as the 3rd gen MDX

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I would be really surprised if the only options for the 4th Gen MDX are base, tech, or Adv with Entertainment and sh-awd being the only options? Adding an Aspec, Type-R/Type-S, or hybrid seems to be a MMC addition like they did with the 3rd Gen MDX?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm assuming (and hoping) they would offer those options after the first year of production** considering you can get a "sporty" or "eco" version of most the premium SUVs the MDX competes with:
Lexus RX in F-Sport or Hybrid
Audi Q7 as a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder
BMW X5 as a plug-in hybrid, diesel, M-Sport, or twin turbo V8
Volvo XC90 as a 4 cylinder turbo, turbo/supchg, and plug-in hybrid
Mercedes GLE as turbo 4 cylinder, or as a 6 cylinder hybrid
The Infiniti QX60 used to offer a hybrid but does not anymore
... I know I'm missing many other cars that the MDX can be cross shopped with (Atlas, Highlander, Telluride, Palisade, Enclave, CX-9) but they can fall on the more "mainstream" side rather than the "luxury" spectrum Acura wants to identify itself with. That said, the gap between mainstream and luxury is narrowing every year so Acura really needs to offer an MDX that can appeal to both budget-conscious shoppers and those that want a hybrid/performance oriented SUV.

** I say after the first year of production because I presume the majority of buyers will choose the standard engine option due to price. Acura will want to keep a healthy supply of them on dealer lots before they ramp up production of the hybrid which may not sell in as high of quantities.

Another speculation of mine: I assume the 4th gen hybrid will have the same excellent powertrain as the current 3rd gen. I think this only because the hybrid is only 3 years old and appears to be unanimously loved. If the main components of the hybrid powertrain remain the same, the main obstacle Acura faces with putting it in the 4th gen is the packaging and integration.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Two thoughts about the 4th Gen MDX and its competition:

(1) The MDX in any trim level does not really compete with the Lexus, Audi, BMW, Volvo or Mercedes SUVs. The latter are luxury brands, and Acura is not. In fact, the Highlander in several of its higher trims is a clear equivalent to the MDX, and probably the Enclave is as well.

(2) There were well-documented "teething problems" associated with the early-years 3rd Gen MDXs (yeah, I know some posters here will jump in to say they had no problems or issues with those model years, but they are documented and those with those problems/issues definitely experienced some serious tsuris getting Acura and their dealerships to resolve them). I believe the introductory year of the 4th Gen, when it comes, should be skipped altogether while Honda resolves the inevitable glitches. This caution would apply to both the standard and hybrid versions of any new generation vehicle, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The positive aspect about the 4th Gen 2021 MDX is it will be the 3rd model year of current tech introduced on the 2019 RDX version. Any issues with the 1st and 2nd year RDX will be applied on the 3rd model year of the +19 RDX and the all new 2021 MDX. My general rule of thumb is purchase pre-MMC if I drive/trade within basic and/or powertrain warranties (CPO can up that to 100,000 miles). Purchase +MMC if you plan to keep +120,000 miles (there are usually positive updates with styling, tech, handling, and performance).

I still wouldn't purchase the 1st year 2021 MDX because they still haven't resolved the glitchy info-tainment system in the RDX yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The positive aspect about the 4th Gen 2021 MDX is it will be the 3rd model year of current tech introduced on the 2019 RDX version.
I certainly think the 2021 MDX will receive the benefit of the then-year RDX tech. However, it's not clear to me that the 2021 MDX tech will be "current" vis a vis the MDX's competitors, or even compared to other Honda vehicles. I believe the process within Honda is that new tech features go first to worldwide Honda brands, and then at some time later to whatever Acura model is being refreshed or revised. Given the complexity of each new generation, I prefer to wait until at least the major bugs are squashed before throwing down $50+ large on any new model vehicle, whether or not the issue is covered by the warranty. I don't need to become a familiar face at any dealer while they are trying to resolve first year problems.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I certainly hope they improve the Nav/infotainment system. The one in my Bmw is so far ahead of my Acura.
Amen, I actually preferred my 2006 MDX Nav and my 2010 ZDX Nav to our 2018 setup. Most of the time, we use Google Maps and just send it to the nav screen.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would be really surprised if the only options for the 4th Gen MDX are base, tech, or Adv with Entertainment and sh-awd being the only options? Adding an Aspec, Type-R/Type-S, or hybrid seems to be a MMC addition like they did with the 3rd Gen MDX?
The big question is how much does Acura feel like biting off at once? I would assume they would roll out 4th gen mdx with the usual trim levels you mentioned plus an Aspec option and likely a Type-S option as well. They will also be doing the same with the new TLX that will likely be released at the same time.

Acura is still dealing with issues from the 2019 and 2020 RDX and in addition they'll have a whole host of new issues with not only the usual flavors of the new MDX and TLX but will also likely have Type-S variants to contend with. Not sure if on top of all of that they want to throw a hybrid into the mix right away or if they want to wait a few years for the dust to settle first before rolling this out.

At some point they've got to try to tackle their growing reliability/initial quality issues that they've been experiencing for some time as I would imagine that makes their lives in corporate and engineering quite difficult trying to deal with and respond to all the issues flowing in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts