Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious to see what others have been getting... 90% city driving and only averaging 13.5 MPG. I had a Prius so I’m well aware of how to drive fuel efficiently- something doesn’t seem right considering the car is supposed to get 20 mpg city. I should preface by saying we purchased the car brand new. As soon as we got home we realized the apple car play wasn’t working. Had to go back and have them swap out the infotainment system. Next I noticed the engine idle wasn’t working either and they gave us a new a battery and the issue resolved. Should I wait til 5K miles and see where I’m at or go take the car back in? All suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the 2020 Hybrid and I'm also disappointed with gas mileage. Initially I was averaging 14mpg city but after couple of gas fill ups, it's about 20-22mpg (still shy of the 26 mpg city rating). Highway is roughly 23-25mpg but initially it was 18-20mpg.

What octane gas do you put in? 87 & 89 will lower mpg 1-2mpg.

Quick question on apple car play. If you connect one phone to car play, can you connect another phone via bluetooth to play music of it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. It’s only been filled twice. Both times with premium, so it’s reassuring to hear I’m not the only one getting bad miles in the beginning. As far as the car play and Bluetooth- I know that two phones can definitely be connected if one is via Bluetooth and one is using the car play cable. I would probably choose to do music through the car play though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2014 AWD and while older, MPG between mine and 2020 non-hybrid AWD is almost identical. During warmer periods where winter blend gas is not in distribution, I can get very close to the EPA ratings, which for me are 18/27 and I average around 23-24MPG overall. Now when winter blend fuel is in circulation, I take a legit 2-3MPG hit easily. It is posted I think here and elsewhere, but this engine appears to be more sensitive to winter blend fuel than some others. I also own a 2017 Honda Pilot AWD that while very similar to my MDX (yet it does not require premium) it does not appear to be impacted by winter blend fuel. Given the timing of your post, winter blend fuel 'may' be contributing to your less than advertised MPG. Just a thought.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just remember unless your in the deep south your probably getting winter blend fuel right now. Here in western Oregon I have seen my average, hand calculated fuel economy drop around 1-2MPG.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Quick question on apple car play. If you connect one phone to car play, can you connect another phone via bluetooth to play music of it?
Once you connected via Apple CarPlay, bluetooth is disabled for any other phones.

·
Registered
342 Posts
With mixed highway and city driving, using auto stop occasionally, I get 21 to 23 mpg. I have even exceeded that but it is more trouble than it is worth. I can not imagine 13.5 mpg. Either you have something wrong or your foot in not doing as it should.

I used only BP regular unleaded. I am at 20% of my factory oil life

·
Registered
129 Posts
I own 2014 MDX and 2015 TLX, both take long time to warm up and with short commute during winter, MPG sucks. My 97 Accord warms up much quicker than my Acuras. So, many factors affect MPG, i would not worry much, check in summer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just curious to see what others have been getting... 90% city driving and only averaging 13.5 MPG. I had a Prius so I’m well aware of how to drive fuel efficiently- something doesn’t seem right considering the car is supposed to get 20 mpg city. I should preface by saying we purchased the car brand new. As soon as we got home we realized the apple car play wasn’t working. Had to go back and have them swap out the infotainment system. Next I noticed the engine idle wasn’t working either and they gave us a new a battery and the issue resolved. Should I wait til 5K miles and see where I’m at or go take the car back in? All suggestions welcome!
100% the same feeling i have since I got the MDX brand new on Jan 2019 (with Tech Package), never have I experienced over 12-14 mpg when driving mostly city. If I drive on the highway i get around 17-18 max on all modes (sport normal or comfort). Any yes i drive like a 90 year grandfather to get even such numbers. :( . Sucks, dealership says nothing wrong with the car went to them 4 times.

What is funny is when I test drove the MDX at the dealership, I averaged 18 mpg driving 100% city for about 15 minutes (no it was not the hybrid). As per the the dealer it is driving style dependent, i guess i just drive other people's MDX much more efficiently and on purpose try to damage mine by driving it harsh. Anyways after wasting a year at the dealership i have given up, would be great if you get your's "fixed" and let us know what they did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called the dealership and he said anything between 8-20 MPG is the norm for this car. So apparently it’s normal? Hopefully once it warms up I’ll get better mileage, super frustrating!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I called the dealership and he said anything between 8-20 MPG is the norm for this car. So apparently it’s normal? Hopefully once it warms up I’ll get better mileage, super frustrating!!
8 - 20 that huge gap, what a joke.. I bet you something is up with your and my brand new engine which is causing more gas to get burned.. do you get lots of smoke also from your tailpipes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes! But I assumed it’s Bc it’s been very cold??? I feel like I’m unsure what’s paranoia and what’s an issue because I started off with those two issues on a brand new car!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yup I had to get a clicking noise fixed from the tailgate when it was brand new.. they said they couldn’t hear it the first two time I went.

do you warm up your car? I do and the dealer told me not to.. so that I get higher mpg

when you are slowing down at a stop sign hear carefully and see if there is a hard rough clunk at 15 miles. Istarted getting this when I follower the dealers advise of not warning up the car last winter. Even after reprogramming the transmission it is still there. Not a good buy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don’t use the automatic starter or warm up the car before I get in- I’ll pay attention to see if there’s a noise. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
167 Posts
You guys should do much better than whatever you are saying.
My old clunker 2015 SH-AWD with 98,000 miles is getting average 21.5 mpg on mostly surface street with signals but not stop and go city traffic. Getting close to EPA 27 mpg on long drives mostly hwy with 92 octane Costco(top tier) premium gas.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Don’t know where you are located. So I don’t the weather. You need to let the car have several thousand miles on it before you can judge the mileage. You have a new car in cold climate. Don’t worry about the mileage yet. The 20mpg is achieved under ideal conditions in a controlled environment. You don’t mention what model or if you have AWD.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
100% the same feeling i have since I got the MDX brand new on Jan 2019 (with Tech Package), never have I experienced over 12-14 mpg when driving mostly city. If I drive on the highway i get around 17-18 max on all modes (sport normal or comfort). Any yes i drive like a 90 year grandfather to get even such numbers. :( . Sucks, dealership says nothing wrong with the car went to them 4 times.

What is funny is when I test drove the MDX at the dealership, I averaged 18 mpg driving 100% city for about 15 minutes (no it was not the hybrid). As per the the dealer it is driving style dependent, i guess i just drive other people's MDX much more efficiently and on purpose try to damage mine by driving it harsh. Anyways after wasting a year at the dealership i have given up, would be great if you get your's "fixed" and let us know what they did.
At 75 I usually get 26 mpg. All you have to do is have a tech come with you. Look at the mileage reading on the car. Then check another car on the lot. 17 to 18 is not normal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My lifetime average on the 2018 MDX SH-AWD at 13k miles is 20.5 mpg with 60% city driving and 40% driving on bay area highways (which can be worse than the city streets many times), not too bad could def could be much better. If I get free highways at 75-80 mph, it averages around 25-27 mpg.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quick update, I removed the third row seats and the spare over the weekend.. I not get 21 on the highway and 17 mpg mixed driving (80% highway & 20% city)..

Stuck with this 2019 MDX so will have to compromise for the next 5 years at least.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts