Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MDX Hybrid Advance with Expresso Interior
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have extreme draft in their new MDX? I'm in Ohio and the cold weather pierces through the car, even when the heater has been on for 15 minutes. Not sure if this is normal, but have never had a car feel so cold to the touch even when the interior is somewhat warm.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
What is the temperature in Ohio? It seems fine in my car. Normally I set the temp AUTO between 70 and 72 + auto seat heater. Maybe stop by dealer and test drive another MDX to do a comparison.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for response JTM. The interior is "breezy" and the console where the transmission is located is very cold to the touch. It's been between 11 to 29 degrees.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm in Chicago. Yesterday morning was in the single digits. I keep the temp set around 68 and it's very comfortable. Everything is cold to the touch when I first get in but the inside of the car warms up very quickly. Never thought the console was unusually cold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you tahiti.....so after the interior is warm you don't feel extreme coldness on the transmission console or you haven't noticed? Next time you're out and about in cold weather could you just place your hand on the middle console at knee level and feel how cold it is? Do you feel drafts near the door or near the gas pedal?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I've had my 19 MDX hybrid since March/19 with 13,000 miles and we only get down to the 20s on average and maybe the teens on the coolest winter mornings. I haven't noticed any cooler/cold center console or colder than set temps near the foot well area.

Sounds like the mix door that allows outside air for A/C system in might be stuck open?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks mrgold35, that really helps. I'm assuming it's not a DIY fix and I have to take to a dealer? Thanks again

·
Registered
11 Posts
I own the 2020 hybrid tech. When driving on the highway, there's always a cold draft coming from the front of the car. Typically I set the temperature to 68 for local trips but on the highway 74 to be comfortable for 1st & 2nd row passengers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mdxerpirate....so I'm not the only one. Possibly mrgold35 (above response) is correct? I'm going to go to an Acura dealer sometime this month to see if he is correct.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you tahiti.....so after the interior is warm you don't feel extreme coldness on the transmission console or you haven't noticed? Next time you're out and about in cold weather could you just place your hand on the middle console at knee level and feel how cold it is? Do you feel drafts near the door or near the gas pedal?
It was 8 degrees this morning. After the car warmed up, the hard plastic center console was colder to the touch than some of the softer materials, but nothing unusual. I definitely did not feel any drafts near the door or by the pedals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very much appreciate your willing to spend your time helping. It was 24degrees here and drove a friend to the airport, the car draft was definitely on driver side. Asked my friend if he could feel it, "no."...so will take to the dealer....bought car in Nov 19

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for response JTM. The interior is "breezy" and the console where the transmission is located is very cold to the touch. It's been between 11 to 29 degrees.
The transmission is not in the console of this car, the transmission is in the engine bay attached to the transverse engine. But there are two things going on in the console in the hybrid MDX. Air is drawn from inside the cabin by a fan for the cooling of the high voltage battery pack. (The inverter is liquid cooled, and you can see the coolant bottle in the engine bay, mounted on the firewall in front of the driver's position.) There is another item in the console, which is the computer that controls the hybrid drive train, electric power flow, the DCT transmission, the charging of the 12 v battery from the high voltage battery, and perhaps some other things. I don't know, but I think it's possible that this computer requires cooling, and that that is accomplished with forced air flow. I don't live in a cold climate, so I've never noticed your issues in my 2018 hybrid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wallyo: thanks so much for your expertise in how the car functions and your take on what might be a possible answer to the, seeming, problem. Since I will be moving to coastal Maine, if there is a problem I prefer to get it fixed now. Planning on taking it into the dealership and rectifying the problem. Thanks again

·
Registered
149 Posts
wallyo: thanks so much for your expertise in how the car functions and your take on what might be a possible answer to the, seeming, problem. Since I will be moving to coastal Maine, if there is a problem I prefer to get it fixed now. Planning on taking it into the dealership and rectifying the problem. Thanks again
Yes, I'd definitely have it looked at, because as someone mentioned before, it could by an HVAC "flap" thing or something else. Happy driving!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Taking the 2020 MDX Hybrid to the dealer next Thursday, will let you all know if the issue is fixed. When calling for an appointment, they advised they would give a loaner and, evidently, were familiar with the issue. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Taking the 2020 MDX Hybrid to the dealer next Thursday, will let you all know if the issue is fixed. When calling for an appointment, they advised they would give a loaner and, evidently, were familiar with the issue. Stay tuned!
I look forward to it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took the 2020 MDX Hybrid to the dealer today. They advised, like someone had earlier stated, a fan is on in the hybrid so the only way to lower or have any draft at all is make sure the car on Recirculation Mode and not on Fresh Air Mode. I noticed the draft was minimal if at all. It was that simple.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts