Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was excited to see the MDX Hybrid option and started to build my new 2020 MDX Hybrid. It seemed too good to be true until I got to the towing capacity spec. It is 0. Towing is not an option on this big 300+ HP SUV. I contacted Acura customer support thinking it had to be a miss print. They confirmed towing is not an option. They are the only manfuacturer that does not have a hybrid SUV with a towing capacity. Even the Tesla Mode 3 is going to have a towing hitch option. I don't really have a big towing need. Basically I have a hitch on my current 2016 MDX for a bike rack. I am concerned that resale value for an SUV without towing capacity will be reduced. My dealer told me they will install a hitch on it for a bike rack and guarantee it will not void the warranty but I fear this is sales hype.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The hybrid is more than capable of hauling some bikes or even a cargo box. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum that can reassure you of that. However, if you're looking to tow something more substantial, than yeah, you're looking at the wrong car. If you plan on just using a bike rack, don't worry about it. It's a great car!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My concern is that if I have a hitch mounted on the car it will void the warranty. I have a friend that mounted a hitch on a Prius for a bike rack and was told it voided the warranty and any transmission problems would not be covered. The manufacturer has no way of knowing what was connected to the hitch. If Acura would sanction a light duty hitch for a bike rack or related accessories I would be OK with that. Would sill like to know why it can't tow at least 1,500 lbs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Look closely. Because of the battery bank things like spare tire are already missing, so Im guessing there is no provisions or room for a hitch platform.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Hybrid owners have already added the factory or aftermarket hitch for bikes or cargo carriers along with full/donut spare tires. I think the towing issue is with the 7DCT compared to the 3.0L or 3 electric motors. Very hard to find and DCT used for towing. I'm planning to add an OEM hitch to my 19 hybrid in the next few months for my 4 bike platform rack.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 2017 Hybrid Model. Starting from a dead stop with a trailer load is something that the dual clutch transmission does not like. If towing is your thing, you need to look elsewhere. There is no evidence that I am aware of that show a lower resale value due to non-towing - book values seem fine. If there was a hit to resale I would happily deal with it, as I have had both the non-hybrid and the hybrid and I find the hybrid to be a much more enjoyable car to drive.

As far as spare tire, it does not come with a spare tire. Everything is there, identical to the non-hybrid, for mounting a spare. You need the wheel and tire and an inexpensive mounting kit that contains the jack and winch etc. I have done it. What were you thinking, Acura?

Mounting a hitch is exactly like mounting a hitch on the non-hybrid model, including threaded hard points and electrical connection for harness. Any hitch and harness that work on the non-hybrid work on the hybrid. I have done it.

Mounting a trailer hitch to the hybrid does not void any part of the warranty. The warranty terms are clear - no TOWING. Not no mounting a hitch. I have done it, for mounting a cargo box. Then I needed warranty service on the dual clutch transmission, because of a TSB. No problem whatsoever - the TSB was performed and there was full warranty coverage. This topic comes up from time to time, and there is ongoing misinformation from people who don’t know what they are talking about but nevertheless feel free to express their opinions and speculations. Your dealer is correct.

Hope this info helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
As far as spare tire, it does not come with a spare tire. Everything is there, identical to the non-hybrid, for mounting a spare. You need the wheel and tire and an inexpensive mounting kit that contains the jack and winch etc. I have done it. What were you thinking, Acura?
How many times has this been asked? It was done to save weight for CAFE and to save money.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a 2017 Hybrid Model. Starting from a dead stop with a trailer load is something that the dual clutch transmission does not like. If towing is your thing, you need to look elsewhere. There is no evidence that I am aware of that show a lower resale value due to non-towing - book values seem fine. If there was a hit to resale I would happily deal with it, as I have had both the non-hybrid and the hybrid and I find the hybrid to be a much more enjoyable car to drive.

Mounting a hitch is exactly like mounting a hitch on the non-hybrid model, including threaded hard points and electrical connection for harness. Any hitch and harness that work on the non-hybrid work on the hybrid. I have done it.

Mounting a trailer hitch to the hybrid does not void any part of the warranty. The warranty terms are clear - no TOWING. Not no mounting a hitch. I have done it, for mounting a cargo box. Then I needed warranty service on the dual clutch transmission, because of a TSB. No problem whatsoever - the TSB was performed and there was full warranty coverage. This topic comes up from time to time, and there is ongoing misinformation from people who don’t know what they are talking about but nevertheless feel free to express their opinions and speculations. Your dealer is correct.

Hope this info helps. Good luck.
I'm 100% in agreement with you. I have a 2020 hybrid and installed both spare tire and a tow hitch.

1) Anyone doesn't own a hybrid, then please STOP spreading false comments on battery bank and space issue for spare and hitch

2) I have never heard of resale value for MDX Hybrid being impacted by tow capacity. It's total nonsense.

3) If your hybrid/non hybrid has a hitch (for towing or bike mount) and needs warranty work on transmission, then simply uninstall the hitch before bring it in for service. That would avoid any questions from dealer.

Hope this helps clarify things.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm 100% in agreement with you. I have a 2020 hybrid and installed both spare tire and a tow hitch. Hope this helps clarify things.
Of all the 2020 MDX models, I like the idea of the hybrid the best, but I also like the towing capacity of the standard model. It would seem that one major issue Acura has NOT clarified is why other manufacturers can market hybrid SUV models with towing capability, but Honda/Acura cannot or will not.

It should not be necessary for an owner of a brand new SUV like the premium-priced MDX hybrid to go through the trouble of adding, on an aftermarket basis, something as basic as towing capability. This failure probably stems from a poorly advised cost-cutting decision by Honda/Acura (perhaps resulting from a weak DCT design, as suggested by another poster?), as it already has been solved from a technical standpoint by others.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm very curious to see what Acura does with the 4th Gen MDX sport hybrid. If they go with DCT or AT, naturally aspirated gas engine, de-tuned turbo engine, same 3 electric motor set-up, plug-in option to top off battery pack, larger battery pack for extended EV mode, and/or added IDS modes (Eco/Comfort/Normal/Sport/Sport+/Tow/Snow modes). The all 10AT seems to be the future trans for Honda/Acura for higher hp vehicles. Changing out the 7DCT for the 10AT would put towing back on the table at the 2500lbs - 3500lbs mark at a minimal depending on final engine choice.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Of all the 2020 MDX models, I like the idea of the hybrid the best, but I also like the towing capacity of the standard model. It would seem that one major issue Acura has NOT clarified is why other manufacturers can market hybrid SUV models with towing capability, but Honda/Acura cannot or will not.

It should not be necessary for an owner of a brand new SUV like the premium-priced MDX hybrid to go through the trouble of adding, on an aftermarket basis, something as basic as towing capability. This failure probably stems from a poorly advised cost-cutting decision by Honda/Acura (perhaps resulting from a weak DCT design, as suggested by another poster?), as it already has been solved from a technical standpoint by others.
No one on this forum has somehow added towing capability to the hybrid. They have added a hitch for carrying bikes or a box. I don’t know what you are reading. I am not aware of anyone solving that issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I think Acura focused on building a performance hybrid SUV vs utility hybrid SUV. Possibly their marketing showed more interest on the performance side. What I would want to see is MDX hybrid owners raving about significant performance improvements to convince me to stay with Acura versus switching to Lexus. I will be test driving the 2020 MDX hybrid as soon as my local dealer gets one in. I will be sure to also do a test drive of the Lexus RX Hybrid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think Acura focused on building a performance hybrid SUV vs utility hybrid SUV. Possibly their marketing showed more interest on the performance side. What I would want to see is MDX hybrid owners raving about significant performance improvements to convince me to stay with Acura versus switching to Lexus. I will be test driving the 2020 MDX hybrid as soon as my local dealer gets one in. I will be sure to also do a test drive of the Lexus RX Hybrid.
Here are some MDX Hybrid performace numbers that you can use when comparing to Lexus.

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 15.5 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 32.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.1 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.6 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.5 sec @ 97 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 133 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 188 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g
FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA combined/city/highway: 27/26/27 mpg
C/D observed: 22 mpg
C/D observed 75-mph highway driving: 25 mpg
C/D observed highway range: 480 mi

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I don't think the Lexus hybrid is really in the same category as the MDX sport hybrid? Zero towing and utility beyond a bike rack was the max I needed to go with my hybrid. My hybrid was a replacement of my 08 RDX (Hondata, ETS intercooler, eibach lowering springs, progress RSB). It just needed to get more than 19 mpg and drive like a bat out of hell when needed. All boxes checked for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm very curious to see what Acura does with the 4th Gen MDX sport hybrid. If they go with DCT or AT, naturally aspirated gas engine, de-tuned turbo engine, same 3 electric motor set-up, plug-in option to top off battery pack, larger battery pack for extended EV mode, and/or added IDS modes (Eco/Comfort/Normal/Sport/Sport+/Tow/Snow modes). The all 10AT seems to be the future trans for Honda/Acura for higher hp vehicles. Changing out the 7DCT for the 10AT would put towing back on the table at the 2500lbs - 3500lbs mark at a minimal depending on final engine choice.
F

This is very simple, really. Anybody who wants to have an MDX and tow with it needs to get the standard MDX. Replacing the great performing, smooth shifting dual clutch transmission with the 10 speed would be a terrible decision on the part of Acura.

·
Registered
494 Posts
F

This is very simple, really. Anybody who wants to have an MDX and tow with it needs to get the standard MDX. Replacing the great performing, smooth shifting dual clutch transmission with the 10 speed would be a terrible decision on the part of Acura.
Except for someone in this thread posted that the reason the hybrid isn't tow rated is because of the "smooth shifting dual clutch transmission". If the DCT is incapable of supporting the stress of towing, then if you want to tow anything you have to deal with the 10 speed auto.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Exactly my point. The DCT tranny does not like towing. So, don’t ruin a perfectly good sport hybrid by putting the 10 speed in it. Steer customers who need to tow to the non-hybrid MDX.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Exactly my point. The DCT tranny does not like towing. So, don’t ruin a perfectly good sport hybrid by putting the 10 speed in it. Steer customers who need to tow to the non-hybrid MDX.
I was confused as there were others above who seemed to be arguing for the hybrid to have some towing capacity, which would necessitate a move away from DCT to an auto.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts