Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been an Acrua owner since 1980 and I am firmly in love with the brand. I traded in my 2014 RLX for a 2020 MDX hybrid and I am truly loving driving the car... I Have a small quesiton for all of you about the car that I have not been able to find an answer...

This is my first Hybrid and the differnces are enjoyable and interestng but the one thing I not been been able to undersand is Battery level.

Is it normal for the Battery never to get fully charged? It has come close a couple of times but it never gets fullly charged and I have notived that when it gets close to full, it quickly drops to 50% where it says most of the time

Any insight and thoughts would be welcome.. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
52 Posts
normal for it to work that way, only on a long downhill or similar does mine to almost to full, usually stays 1/2 to 3/4 at best,turn on the battery screen and you can see how and when the battery power is used, When you watch that for a while it will make more sense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Just to make sure I am not missing something...

When you say the battery screen you mean the power distribution screen under system Info?

thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing my battery at a fully charged state. Usually, the most I've seen it, is one bar below fully charged on the power distribution screen.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The only time I've seen my MDX battery gauge full is when I use Sport+ mode. Sport+ seems to fully charge the battery pack in 2-3 miles of city driving. Other than that, the battery average levels are 1/4 - 3/4 range for city or hyw driving. Only on rare occasions I've seen (or noticed) a full battery pack on Comfort/Normal/Sport modes (only lasted for a short while until the next EV usage).

I also have a RLX hybrid and I've seen a higher avg charge level and a full battery pack way more often in normal driving. The RLX also uses EV mode sooner/longer. I also noticed the RLX even uses EV mode in reverse. No sure why Acura would provide less EV function in the 3.0L MDX compared to the 3.5L RLX?

·
Registered
157 Posts
My experience with my 2018 hybrid is about the same as it has been for others: the charge pivots around 50%, give or take 25%. What hasn't been mentioned is that consistent 100% charging will shorten the life of most lithium batteries, whether in an EV, hybrid, laptop or phone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I never understood the meaning of that charge indicator in my 2019.
How do you guys use it?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
It is pretty to look at is how I use it. I would rather have engine temp because that is useful info. The charge gauge doesn't help me because the hybrid drives the same at 10% or 90% battery pack charge and we have zero control of charge level (except in Sport+ mode). I would have been fine if Acura just used one battery charge level on the power distribution monitor on the navi screen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same experience with my 2018 MDX Hybrid here - 25%-75% charge level driving Florida's flat terrain in Comfort or Normal modes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts