Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 AWD Tech
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and to the MDX, this is our first one... 2020 SH-AWD Tech. I did quite a bit of research before settling on the MDX and we really like it, other than the old technology, but not a big deal to us. We've had it about 3 weeks now and it was certified pre-owned by Hendrick Acura in Durham, NC (which doesn't mean much). We drove it to Boone last week to see our son and on the way back down the mountain, there was some brake shimmy and vibration like the rotors were warped. With 37K on it, and having read that the factory rotors are prone to warp, I decided to replace the front rotors and pads know full well that the dealership would just turn the rotors and I would be back to square one in a couple of weeks.
So I settled in and knocked them out today. It was a very easy job to do, but once I pulled everything apart, I noticed that both calipers had a build up of grease around each cylinder.
Automotive tire Bumper Gas Wood Automotive wheel system

So I cleaned both of them up before reinstalling them. I didn't know if anyone has experienced this before when changing out brakes. I don't believe this to be normal and I'm not even sure these are the factory calipers since it was pre-owned. Here is photo of the back of the caliper.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas Suspension

Here it is after cleaning it up. Thanks for any insight you veteran MDXers can provide... Dave

Gas Nut Machine Auto part Bicycle part

·
Registered
2020 AWD Tech
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply MDXstang. I did check the CV boots, brake lines, and anything else that could have created that mess. It may just be that it was like that from the factory, just had never seen that before.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Tech
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ebonygraph. That's what I really thought it was. But it was probably just a squeak solution like YYT described. I personally don't lube anything but the end of each brake pad so it slides well. I have never lubed the back of the pad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts