Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,111 Posts
Should I get oil change after 5K miles on my new 2020 mdx
Yeah. What does the MID oil life remaining % say?

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,111 Posts
Just do it. But then go with the 7500 mile interval or similar with future O&FC.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I waited until my M.I.D. % was at 15% or around 9500 miles. There is usually an "A" or "B" oil change code along 1-6 codes for additional services. The 1-6 service code don't show up until the 15% oil change "A" or "B" code displays. I'm not 100% sure; but, you might also reset the 1-6 codes if you change your oil and reset at 50%. Then you will need to keep track of the 1-6 services manually if change the oil at 50% everytime.

It was an A1 service at 9500 miles and B16 service at 17900 miles for my 19 MDX hybrid.

A - Main CodeReplace engine oil
B - Main CodeReplace engine oil, filter change, rotate the tires, front and rear brake inspecition, check parking brake adjustment, and other inspections
1 - Sub CodeTire Rotation
2 - Sub CodeReplace dust/pollen filter, check drive belt, replace the air filters, air cleaner element
3 - Sub CodeReplace transmission and transfer fluid
4 - Sub CodeReplace spark plugs, check the water pump, inspect valve clearance, replace the timing belt (if required)
5 - Sub CodeReplace the engine coolant
6 - Sub CodeReplace the rear differential fluid

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Should I get oil change after 5K miles on my new 2020 mdx
You can change the oil whenever you want. It’s your money. I get the service done when the MID says to.

·
Super Moderator
1,968 Posts
I wait until MID shows oil life at 15%, which was around 8700 miles.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I follow the MID and not any unsubstantiated fixed mileage number. There's nothing magical about the number 5,000. The engineers who designed the engine and the company who has to back it up with warranty and reputation know far more about what's needed than random people on the internet.

I change mine after the MID pops the code which is at around 15% life left. I actually change it between 15% and 5% left depending on what driving I plan to do. If it's just running around locally I let it get closer to 5% but if I plan a trip I'll do it closer to 15%. If I had a big coast to coast trip coming up I might change it before it pops on the MID at 15%.

I accidentally went to 0% once on a coast to coast trip and that happened at almost exactly 10K miles and I've done the math on the other changes and they tend to happen fairly near 10K miles if one were to let it go all the way to 0. This means if you change it at some arbitrary mileage like 5K you're changing it about twice as often as needed. And if you think you should change it at 5K then why not 4K or 3K or 1K for that matter? The 5K is just an arbitrary number you pulled from somewhere but not from the manufacturer recommendations.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I follow the MID and not any unsubstantiated fixed mileage number. There's nothing magical about the number 5,000. The engineers who designed the engine and the company who has to back it up with warranty and reputation know far more about what's needed than random people on the internet.

I change mine after the MID pops the code which is at around 15% life left. I actually change it between 15% and 5% left depending on what driving I plan to do. If it's just running around locally I let it get closer to 5% but if I plan a trip I'll do it closer to 15%. If I had a big coast to coast trip coming up I might change it before it pops on the MID at 15%.

I accidentally went to 0% once on a coast to coast trip and that happened at almost exactly 10K miles and I've done the math on the other changes and they tend to happen fairly near 10K miles if one were to let it go all the way to 0. This means if you change it at some arbitrary mileage like 5K you're changing it about twice as often as needed. And if you think you should change it at 5K then why not 4K or 3K or 1K for that matter? The 5K is just an arbitrary number you pulled from somewhere but not from the manufacturer recommendations.
yup, and if you change when the MID says 0 and send a sample for oil analysis including TBN (total base number) you'll probably find that the MID is telling you to change the oil way before it needs to be changed. Oil analysis will likely show almost zip for contamination and 50% or more of the additive package left and the oil still very close to the initial 0W-15 performance.
Oil and engines have improved so drastically in the last 20 years or so that the old "change at 3K or 5K" is no longer valid if you have any kind of on board engine monitor for change interval.

One exception is that I believe honda/acura says change when MID goes to 0 OR 1 year, whichever occurs first. Now why honda/acura didn't do like GM and have the oil life go down by a minimum of 2%/week so it goes to 0 at 50 weeks is beyond me. With GM it's just change at 0 no need to worry about time, the car takes care of that as well.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
My 06 TSX (176K, totaled in 2019 ) and 08 RDX (+185k still going strong) had 5000 mile oil change intervals by the M.I.D. schedule. I just stuck to the that M.I.D. schedule and used Mobil 1 5w-30 for both vehicles and they used zero oil. My 11 MDX had the +9500 miles M.I.D. oil chance interval and I also use Mobil 1 (always burned around 1 1/4 qts per OCI).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have roughly 3500 miles on mine now and after seeing how clean the oil was on the dipstick, I'll likely wait - min of 7500 miles or until the light tell me to do so. I was on a 1K miles road trip - 80-85 MPH most of the drive and expected it to look more dirty. MCRacer brought up some good points that are probably pretty accurate.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have roughly 3500 miles on mine now and after seeing how clean the oil was on the dipstick, I'll likely wait - min of 7500 miles or until the light tell me to do so. I was on a 1K miles road trip - 80-85 MPH most of the drive and expected it to look more dirty. MCRacer brought up some good points that are probably pretty accurate.
I did an oil change at 6K miles on our 2019 MD when oil life was listed as about 25%, but was 1 year. Oil analysis came back with close to zip for contamination, below normal levels of metals and close to 50% of the initial additives still present (TBN). My conclusion: Acura (like GM) is very conservative. My GM analysis is pretty similar and that's on a diesel truck that usually tows a 10,000 lb trailer for 50% or more of the time between oil changes of about 7-9K miles.

And my previous diesel truck changed near when it told me to has just passed 250K miles, uses about 1/2 qt of oil in 7K miles and still comes back with a clean oil analysis report.

Follow the MID, use the oil they recomend, and make sure you change it at least every 12 months.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did an oil change at 6K miles on our 2019 MD when oil life was listed as about 25%, but was 1 year. Oil analysis came back with close to zip for contamination, below normal levels of metals and close to 50% of the initial additives still present (TBN). My conclusion: Acura (like GM) is very conservative. My GM analysis is pretty similar and that's on a diesel truck that usually tows a 10,000 lb trailer for 50% or more of the time between oil changes of about 7-9K miles.

And my previous diesel truck changed near when it told me to has just passed 250K miles, uses about 1/2 qt of oil in 7K miles and still comes back with a clean oil analysis report.

Follow the MID, use the oil they recomend, and make sure you change it at least every 12 months.
If I had to guess, the vast majority of MDX owners aren't throttle jockey's either, so the oil probably doesn't too hot and abused enough to worry about. I never come close to red-lining my either.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I would probably change my fluid maint schedule to something shorter if I lived or used my MDX in harsher conditions like:
  • extreme heat of +110 degrees (also change timing belt every 60k, reason I left Phoenix because it was too friggen hot)
  • extreme cold for weeks/month of single or below freezing temps
  • a lot of short trips when the powertrain doesn't warm up to operating temp
  • lots of towing +3000 lbs; especially, in hilly or the mountains
  • if used my MDX for Uber, Lyft, Uber eats, running clients around, etc...
  • Change my oil early if my MDX was going to sit 3-5 month during the winter

·
Registered
2019 advance red pearl parchment
50 Posts
Few people including myself say 6 months 5k but to each their own Let me explain i live in NYC at times it can take me an hour to go 7 miles on the highway AC running 98 degrees out stop and go Winter can get pretty cold. So for me April and October I change my oil and filter for a whopping total cost of $60 and total of 1 hour out of my retired time.And a good piece of mind quicker and easier to change it rather than contemplate it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts