Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting very close to buying and I'm talking to two different dealers at the moment. One (without checking anything) says he can get a hybrid "within a couple weeks" and one says there is only the one in stock, they won't order more because the 2019 are due out "soon". I pressed a bit to see what "soon" meant and the salesperson said new info will be released in June, RDX first then MDX.

So who is more correct? When might the 2019 start production and better yet when one might show up if I order one? At this point the options for 2018 are fine so unless there is some crazy update that I can't see coming I'm good with either 18/19.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Who knows when the 2019 Hybrid version will come out. the 2018 Hybrid rolled out of the plant January of this year, and they are hard to come by. If you could wait for the 2019, then wait.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
btw I confirmed with a dealer today that 2018 builds stopped May 1 and the factory is tooling up for 2019 as we speak. So 2018 cars in transit or on the lot exist but no factory 2018 orders are possible. I wanted a blue one and nobody has one (Hybrid) just white ones left.

FYI

·
Registered
302 Posts
I believe Acura MDX is up for the new design in 2020. The 2019 model should be much similar to the 2018. Better to wait if you can.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't think anyone knows for sure when the MDX will get a redesign but if the new RDX is any indication it's going to be a significant improvement over the 3rd gen. I'd say 2021 model year is likely and could be one of those deals where they don't have all models available the first year (ie no hybrid in 2021). 2-3 years is a long time to wait for a car but if you're into chasing the latest and greatest that is what I say you're looking at.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
There is a good chance the 19 MDXs will be exactly the same as the 18 model year. The only addition/change I think Acura might introduce for 19 is the A-Spec version of the MDX slotted between the tech and Adv models.

Acura went 6 model years with the 1st Gen MDX and 7 model years with the 2nd Gen MDX. Acura might do 7 years for the 3rd Gen since it is such a top seller. Acura will need to re-fresh the sedans also in the next 2-3 years with almost all new everything. I'm thinking Acura might concentrate on sedans next to boost sells and wait on the MDX until 2021.

·
Registered
606 Posts
We'll find out whether Acura is planning a redesign for 2020 or 2021 model year. With sedan sales industry wide slumping and SUV sales driving a majority of revenue they could just as easily decide to build upon the new RDX platform and expand it to the MDX. That would make sense because the next MDX will be based heavily off the new RDX platform.

However they just as easily could decide to hold off on MDX redesign until 2021 model year to upgrade a sedan next.

If they are working on a redesign MDX for 2019 as a 2020 model year they'll have to test it on roads and spy shots will start popping up online in the next few months.

2019 model year will be basically same as 2018 except for possible color change as well as A Spec model. Who knows when they'll roll out 19s, anytime between June and August would be my guess since they said coming in summer

·
Registered
278 Posts
If acura/Honda want to get those sales numbers back they need to enlarge the size of the MDX considerably like Volvo and Mazda and Audi and Chevy/GMC and VW with the Atlas and Subaru with their new large 3 row SUV.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Current gen intros 2014. Updated with nine speed 2016, updated with a different silly nose in 2018.
RDX has grown quite a bit. It’s almost as long as the first gen MDX.
That says to me the next gen MDX will grow in size.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
If acura/Honda want to get those sales numbers back they need to enlarge the size of the MDX considerably like Volvo and Mazda and Audi and Chevy/GMC and VW with the Atlas and Subaru with their new large 3 row SUV.
I don't think it needs to increase in size and in fact the MDX is already longer than the Volvo XC90 and all of 3" shorter than the Mazda and only 2" shorter than the VW Atlas.

The MDX has always been a 'mid-size' SUV and it should stay that way. If it had been the size of a Tahoe or Suburban I'd have never considered it. Bigger isn't always better when it comes to vehicles - the size needs to be 'just right' for the target audience/niche.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Gaining sales won't have much to do with growing in size so much as improving and innovating with their redesign. In general Acura design has played it extremely safe (except the ugly beak), that's why the new RDX is such a big deal as it's a complete departure from how Acura has been. They finally realized they need to take risks and try to innovate instead of playing it safe.

Size wise the XC90 and Q7 aren't much different on the inside then the MDX. Biggest improvement they can make is extending the wheelbase to make 3rd row seats more comfortable and bumping up legroom and cargo volume. Exterior dimensions don't need to change much to accomplish those things.

Curious what engine they'll go with. The RDX is disappointing fuel economy wise since it's no better than the MDX 3.5l is

·
Registered
452 Posts
While I don't doubt the next gen MDX will grow in length, I can attest after having owned both first gen and current gen that the first gen absolutely has/had more usable cargo/passenger space overall.

Nothing detrimental, I still find the current MDX very practical, but it's a little funny how my new vehicle on paper is 8" longer yet smaller overall on the inside. The width between the 3rd row wheel wells has shrunk, and the sloping/curved D-pillar area around the actual trunk opening does no usability favors either.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Tell be about it. I fit more in my Subaru Forester and scion xb because of that D pillar..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
302 Posts
Every time when I see a newer generation of MDX, I tried to compare it with my 2013 Model which is much wider, taller, may be longer. When I visited the MDX dealer, I inspected the newer MDX inside which I found quite small and has less useful space, especially near the rear side of the car. The current design at the back columns sloping down making the mdx smaller and narrow in the back. I parked my 2013 model next to the current model mdx, I can see the current model is smaller and lower in body height, making it look like a station wagon in the old day. I definitely agree that the next generation of MDX should at least match that of the Q7 in outside dimension to gain back loyal customers. I am awaiting to see its next design to decide if I should buy the next mdx, or other brands. :|

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I definitely agree that the next generation of MDX should at least match that of the Q7 in outside dimension to gain back loyal customers.
If you want bigger why not get a Tahoe, which is 4" longer than the Q7, or a Suburban, which is way long? If you don't want something as big as a suburban then you're already deciding to not go just for more size but must be hitting some compromise between what you need to stuff into the vehicle versus driveability and perhaps mileage.

To quantify this -
The 2013 MDX L x W x H: 191.6 x 78.5 x 68.2
The 2014 MDX L x W x H: 193.6 x 77.2 x 67.6

So the 3rd gen is actually 2" longer than the 2nd gen but 1.5" narrower (external dimensions). Of course there are other factors such as slope of the roofline, etc. But if you feel happy about the size of the 2013 but not the 2014 you're really right on the very edge of happy/disappointment since they're so close in actual size.

But cargo capacity cubic ft -
The 2013 MDX max/all seats up: 83.5/15
The 2014 MDX max/all seats up: 68.4 (or 90.9 depending on which spec is being used)/14.8

But I tried crawling into the 3rd row seat of the 2nd gen, as did my wife, and the 3rd gen is substantially better than the 2nd gen for accessing the 3rd row seat and sitting it it reasonably. This was a show stopper for me on the 2nd gen that caused me to wait for the 3rd gen since I felt the 2nd en design in this area simply was poor - my 1998 Durango, which was about the same length as the 2nd gen MDX (maybe an inch longer) was a much better design in this area.

Bigger isn't better for everyone and there's a niche for every size of vehicle and there are lots of factors regardless of just dimensions like the one I mentioned for the 3rd row seat usability and also the cargo volume. For me the 3rd gen size is juuuuust about right. The 2nd gen is about right as well - they just blew it on the design for the 3rd row seat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
In my earlie post/reply message, I mistakenly stated that I was comparing my 2013 mdx with newer generation mdx in size, I was actually meant my 2003 mdx instead. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Current gen intros 2014. Updated with nine speed 2016, updated with a different silly nose in 2018.
RDX has grown quite a bit. It’s almost as long as the first gen MDX.
That says to me the next gen MDX will grow in size.
The actual timeline was current gen introduced in 2014 and ran through 2016, 3 years later it was "refreshed" in 2017. If it goes another 3 years post "refresh" that would be 2017-2019, making "redesign" possible for 2020 model year. However last gen MDX had a 7 year run not 6 year, where 1st gen MDX had 6 years between 1st and 2nd gen.

That's where no one knows whether the next 4th gen MDX will come in 2020 model year or 2021 model year. If they go 6 years that would be 2020 (which would be released next year in 2019), however 7 years would mean 2021 (released in 2020).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I heard the 2019 will have Honda's new 10-speed transmission and Garmin nav...These two features alone would make it worth purchasing. Waiting on the redesign in 2020 / 2021 would be great, but I generally avoid first year releases of car generations, so if you care about those things, you could be waiting awhile for a new generation purchase...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I heard the 2019 will have Honda's new 10-speed transmission and Garmin nav...
Extremely unlikely. Dare I say: impossible.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The actual timeline was current gen introduced in 2014 and ran through 2016, 3 years later it was "refreshed" in 2017. If it goes another 3 years post "refresh" that would be 2017-2019, making "redesign" possible for 2020 model year. However last gen MDX had a 7 year run not 6 year, where 1st gen MDX had 6 years between 1st and 2nd gen.

That's where no one knows whether the next 4th gen MDX will come in 2020 model year or 2021 model year. If they go 6 years that would be 2020 (which would be released next year in 2019), however 7 years would mean 2021 (released in 2020).
Technically, there was a mechanical refresh in 2016 and a visual refresh in 2017.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts