Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
PS. As mentioned in the start of the thread, when I had a non advance model as a loaner, it had 20 inch wheels but 50 ratio tires. The dynamic mode switch was there and it did affect the ride in the same manner, BUT a little less harsh in Sport mode because of the less stiff sidewalls on the tires.
I have the 2017 hybrid with 20” rims. I don’t have any complaints about the ride in Sport mode, albeit it can get choppy on certain roads. If you don’t like it, you might try taking a couple of pounds of air out of the tires and see if that makes it acceptable. You an easily run a bit low on tire pressure and not hurt anything.

·
Registered
454 Posts
So best I can tell, my '19 Advance has active dampers, but no way to set them to a certain mode. Only the Sport Hybrid apparently allows the dynamic mode to tweak the damper settings. Another note - the wife's '18 RLX Sport Hybrid appears to not have active dampers - there are no obvious electrical connects I can see to the front struts......

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I know Acura is trying to save money and skimp on certain features. There should be "Custom" setting in the M.I.D. for the electronic dampers or a button somewhere. The MDX and RLX should be the top of the line models and share the tech in the Adv trim in MDX 3.5L or MDX/RLX Adv Sport Hybrid versions at least like:

• Krell Audio (RLX only)
  • HUD (RLX only)
  • Active Dampers (MDX and RDX Adv)
  • double row jewe eye LEDs (RLX only)
  • Apple CarPlay (not found in RLX)
  • Real wood trim (RLX uses wood colored plastic trim)
  • Updated info-tainment (RLX still uses the 14-16 MDX version)
  • wireless charging (like the TLX)
  • Thigh extenders (TLX)
  • ACC with low speed follow (no low speed follow for MDX)
  • No separate DRL strip with MDX (can't turn off headlights or DRL and blind military gate guards at night on MDX)

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
What do you mean no low speed follow? I’ve followed plenty of cars. It’s a little choppy but it works. As a matter of fact, stop and go traffic is it’s best feature.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
What do you mean no low speed follow? I’ve followed plenty of cars. It’s a little choppy but it works. As a matter of fact, stop and go traffic is it’s best feature.
Thanks for the update! Still trying to learn all the features and how to use them depending on the driving situations.

·
Registered
501 Posts
So best I can tell, my '19 Advance has active dampers, but no way to set them to a certain mode. Only the Sport Hybrid apparently allows the dynamic mode to tweak the damper settings. Another note - the wife's '18 RLX Sport Hybrid appears to not have active dampers - there are no obvious electrical connects I can see to the front struts......
This is incorrect. I don't have time right now to find the text from the instruction manual but the dynamic mode IDS button definitely changes the active dampers on the 19 Advance. Sport is noticeably more harsh than Comfort. And Normal is in between. If you read the section in the owners manual for 2019 in the dynamic mode IDS button settings you will see what I mean, it states that the dampers are linked to the dynamic mode button

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
This is incorrect. I don't have time right now to find the text from the instruction manual but the dynamic mode IDS button definitely changes the active dampers on the 19 Advance. Sport is noticeably more harsh than Comfort. And Normal is in between. If you read the section in the owners manual for 2019 in the dynamic mode IDS button settings you will see what I mean, it states that the dampers are linked to the dynamic mode button

So I happen to be sitting in front of my laptop now, and went to the owners site to look at the various 2019 MDX owners documents. On page 100 of the MDX Owners Guide, and on page 489 of the MDX Owners Manual, it states that the various Dynamic Mode selections impact the steering assist, the SH-AWD torque bias, the shift points, and the active sound control settings (depending on the mode selected. On page 474 of the MDX Sport Hybrid Owners Manual, it adds to each setting the adjustment of the Active Dampers for the vehicle.

Now, based on the manuals on acura's web site, only the Sport Hybrid mentions anything about Active Dampers. If in fact the non-Sport Hybrid model (Advance) does have Active Damper adjustment with the IDS, the manual is completely ignoring that aspect. I've personally not noticed a damper difference between settings, although the other changes (steering, shifts, etc) are noticeable.

If there is evidence that the Active Dampers on the '19 MDX Advance (non-Sport Hybrid), I'd love to see it.

andy

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I did the same and compared the hybrid and non-hybrid owner's manuals on IDS modes. I don't think Acura updated the +19 MDX owner's manual for the active dampers? Only on the Acura website (Build feature and Price & Specs) is where active dampers under MDX Advance package items you can find it (so far). I downloaded both versions of the 19 MDX's manuals in .pdf on the Acura owner's site version.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why would Acura bother installing active dampers on the Advance models if they aren't able to be "actively" controlled? It defeats the purpose

·
Registered
454 Posts
I talked to one of the master techs at my dealership, who has had training on the various MDX technologies, including active dampers. The introduction of active dampers on the 2019 Advance is essentially a similar concept to what the 2nd Gen MDX Advance models had - where you have constantly-adjusting dampers based on vehicle conditions - but no ability to manipulate changes to how they react. This is different than the Sport Hybrid models, which have active dampers PLUS the ability thru the IDS to control their behavior. Not sure if this will change with the 4th gen redesign, but for the 19 and 20 non-sport-hybrid Advance models, the active dampers are there with no ability to change their behavior....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Acura is notorious for NOT updating their documentation, a prime example is with live traffic updates. Documentation still says this is part of the AcuraLink subscription, and all sales people tell you the same thing. Yet in 2017 and later they switched this to HD Radio which is free for life and requires no subscription.

So the fact they forgot to update the owners manual after bringing over the active dampers from the hybrid isn't surprising and the fact it's omitted from the manual should NOT be considered a statement of fact.

I have a 19 Advance and there is a HUGE difference in suspension between Sport and Comfort. Put it in Sport and drive on a road with sharp bumps. Then set it to Comfort and repeat, it is MUCH more harsh in Sport than Comfort.

It would be much more work and increase production complexity for Acura by not bringing it over as is from the Hybrid (minus Sport + mode) and instead doing something special for the Advance by not linking it to the dynamic mode. Acura is in the business of saving money and sharing tech across different models. Intentionally disconnecting active dampers from dynamic mode would cost Acura more than simply copying it over as is from the Hybrid and Acura is all about saving money.

Also the fact an Acura tech didn't know what they were talking about isn't surprising and u shouldn't take that one person's word as a statement of fact. I spoke to 6 different people including an "engineer" with Acura customer support regarding the nav traffic and trying to understand why the website advertises free traffic for life while other documents say requires AcuraLink subscription and not a single person knew that they switched to HD Radio for traffic updates which explains the free traffic as HD radio is Ota and doesn't require a subscription.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Acura is notorious for NOT updating their documentation, a prime example is with live traffic updates. Documentation still says this is part of the AcuraLink subscription, and all sales people tell you the same thing. Yet in 2017 and later they switched this to HD Radio which is free for life and requires no subscription.

So the fact they forgot to update the owners manual after bringing over the active dampers from the hybrid isn't surprising and the fact it's omitted from the manual should NOT be considered a statement of fact.

I have a 19 Advance and there is a HUGE difference in suspension between Sport and Comfort. Put it in Sport and drive on a road with sharp bumps. Then set it to Comfort and repeat, it is MUCH more harsh in Sport than Comfort.

It would be much more work and increase production complexity for Acura by not bringing it over as is from the Hybrid (minus Sport + mode) and instead doing something special for the Advance by not linking it to the dynamic mode. Acura is in the business of saving money and sharing tech across different models. Intentionally disconnecting active dampers from dynamic mode would cost Acura more than simply copying it over as is from the Hybrid and Acura is all about saving money.

Also the fact an Acura tech didn't know what they were talking about isn't surprising and u shouldn't take that one person's word as a statement of fact. I spoke to 6 different people including an "engineer" with Acura customer support regarding the nav traffic and trying to understand why the website advertises free traffic for life while other documents say requires AcuraLink subscription and not a single person knew that they switched to HD Radio for traffic updates which explains the free traffic as HD radio is Ota and doesn't require a subscription.

Well, neither of us has actual proof other than observations and/or conversations. I understand the lack of knowledge in some areas (nav issues with my previous MDX showed me how much incompetence could exist). But the fact that the MDX Advance doesn't have the Sport+ mode while the sport hybrid does tells me it's more than just carrying the active damper integration over. If anyone has actual proof I'll be convinced. Otherwise we're all just speculating....

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The 2nd Gen MDX Sport and Adv models had magnetic shock/struts with a Comfort/Sport button near the gear shift. Sport mode stiffen up the suspension for a more sporty ride along with less dive when braking, less squat during acceleration, and less body lean in corners (along with larger front/rear stabilizer bars). No way to change the throttle or steering response on the 2nd Gen; but, I like having the button for ADS. Would be nice if the electronic dampers had a dedicated comfort/sport button or a setting in the M.I.D. to customize a unique IDS mode.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well, neither of us has actual proof other than observations and/or conversations. I understand the lack of knowledge in some areas (nav issues with my previous MDX showed me how much incompetence could exist). But the fact that the MDX Advance doesn't have the Sport+ mode while the sport hybrid does tells me it's more than just carrying the active damper integration over. If anyone has actual proof I'll be convinced. Otherwise we're all just speculating....
I agree, the only thing I'll say about Sport+ is because that has to deal with the hybrid powertrain, which is obviously not present on the 3.5L making it irrelevant, would explain why this was left off the 3.5 advance.

But agreed without definitive proof all we have is speculation / subjective observations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It is a shame that there is no way to adjust the Active Damping in the IDS Sport mode. I know I stated this before, but I really like the throttle response, the tighter steering and the changes to the SH-AWD torque bias, BUT the the ride on just somewhat bumpy or just slightly marred roads is harsh. And with the Advance Model the tires are slightly wider (1/2 inch I Think) with 45 ratio sidewall ratios. Now earlier I wrote that I had a 2019 MDX with Tech package loaner which also had a IDS switch. That loaner had 50 ratio tires (20 inch wheels) and the ride although not as comfortable as Normal Mode, was less harsh - more tolerable. The Sport Mode does just that - it makes the car Sportier, but with a sacrifice in ride quality. Too bad ..... I never drove the Sport Hybrid to be able to measure the differences. Also note that there is a slight reduction in MPGs in Sport mode due to the adjusted throttle response - working at slightly higher RPMs. I might try riding on less air in the tires: Mine indicate 35 pounds on the front, 32 pounds on the rear to see if there is a measurable difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
PS: I may have indicated that I was going to inquire at my dealer if the Tires on my 2019 with 7800 miles could be Swapped for 50 Ratio tires at an adjusted price? The answer is no can do. So I'll wait to make that decision upon the need for tire replacement.
Happy Driving !!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I did the upgraded black Berlina 20" rims at the dealership and I had an issue with feeling vibration at hwy speeds like a tire being out of balanced. Paid the extra money and had it road force balanced at Discount Tire and one wheel was out of specs road force machine. Decided to bite the bullet again and took it down to Firestone to double-check the alignment. Half of the adjustment specs were in the yellow or red for my MDX with under 2000 miles.

Those adjustment made a big difference and the MDX rides sooooo much smoother at any speeds (sometimes up to 90 mph for passing speeds on 2 lane highways).
I finally was able to resolve my Wheel Balancing issue. The service manager said that they would Road Force balance all the Wheels (just last week....... finally), That did the trick. I did inquire as to why did they not do that in the first Place; Never got a straight answer.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts