Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's the 9 speed transmission in the 2019 MDX. Acura mentioned some mechanical updates as well as software. Is it less jerky in city slow driving? Any comments on if it has actually been improved?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’d say for the most part, it’s pretty smooth. It does seem to be a little more jerky on a cold start, but once you’re underway, it smooths out. My only other observation is that I much prefer the shift calibration in ‘sport’, as it feels a little slow to downshift in ‘normal’.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Def. not butter smooth esp. from a cold start , needs about 2-3 miles of driving to smooth out for the most part (first 2-3 shifts of the day you'll def. feel, more so on cold days). 2018 Advance AWD.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it smooth if you leave it on sport even when its cold? I had a 2018 loaner that was pretty jerky in city driving which kind of turn me off of it. Wondering if it was actually improved for 2019 since they claim that it was improved.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Comparing a 2018 to a question that is asking about a 2019 doesn’t help the OP as they are different in software and hardware and react different.

2018 starts out in a really short 1st gear, 2019 starts out in second gear unless you are in sport. Huge difference in take off and does feel less jerky.
Overall I do like the tranny in the 2019, except as stated earlier, it is slow to downshift sometimes especially when crawling up on a stop and then go, sometimes it takes a second to find its gear.

I have considered purchasing a pedal commander and have it installed to see if it makes any difference, as I feel the electronic throttle is more of the quirkiness VS the tranny.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Comparing a 2018 to a question that is asking about a 2019 doesn’t help the OP as they are different in software and hardware and react different.

2018 starts out in a really short 1st gear, 2019 starts out in second gear unless you are in sport. Huge difference in take off and does feel less jerky.
Overall I do like the tranny in the 2019, except as stated earlier, it is slow to downshift sometimes especially when crawling up on a stop and then go, sometimes it takes a second to find its gear.

I have considered purchasing a pedal commander and have it installed to see if it makes any difference, as I feel the electronic throttle is more of the quirkiness VS the tranny.
Yeah, the 2018 I drove felt confused and slow to respond in slow traffic. It was fine if I drove aggressively but otherwise seemed odd. Hoping to find out if they actually fixed that in 2019 since I only really noticed it on the 2018 since I had it for a few days. I don't think I would really know from a test drive 100%

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, the 2018 I drove felt confused and slow to respond in slow traffic. It was fine if I drove aggressively but otherwise seemed odd. Hoping to find out if they actually fixed that in 2019 since I only really noticed it on the 2018 since I had it for a few days. I don't think I would really know from a test drive 100%
I have a 2019, transmissions feel fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an ‘18 Tech FWD with 15k miles and it’s been 95-100*F here for a couple of weeks and I commute 150 miles 3-4 days/week. I feel like my normally smooth transmission has begun to hold gears longer and generally feels a little rougher than usual. Temperature? Anything I need to do? I’m not a mechanic but have no problem calling on the dealership.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts