Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw that the 2019 transmission software has been re-programmed to refine the shifting. I wonder if that fixes the quirky shifting (I have a 2018). If that does fix it, it would be nice if they could update the earlier models software.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just leased a 2018 MDX AWD Tech, upgraded from a 2016 version. The shifting is smoother from 2016 to 2018.

Maybe the software can be upgraded on the 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday I went to manual shift mode and started out in 2nd gear and it seemed much smoother. Seems like from a stop that first shift from 1st to 2nd is a bit jerky.

I’m probably going to my dealer for the first oil change and talk to them about whether the 2018 can get the 2019 program update.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just leased a 2018 MDX AWD Tech, upgraded from a 2016 version. The shifting is smoother from 2016 to 2018.

Maybe the software can be upgraded on the 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also upgraded from 16 to 18, but I feel like my 16 with updated software shifted better than 18. We only put 1000 miles on it so far, I'll wait a bit longer before I head to the dealer asking for a software updates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can only program so much. The ZF 9 speed unit is very costly to maintain (my dealer charges $400 for an ATF change for the FWD models) and its design is flawed. The only way to truly smooth shifting is the 10-speed transmission found in the RDX.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You can only program so much. The ZF 9 speed unit is very costly to maintain (my dealer charges $400 for an ATF change for the FWD models) and its design is flawed. The only way to truly smooth shifting is the 10-speed transmission found in the RDX.
Even owners of the new RDX are now complaining about the shifting in the 10 speed. Doubt there's any such thing as the perfect shifting transmission as people will find a way to complain about everything, it's the nature of our modern society

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Have you actually driven one? I'm surprised at how much people are sack-riding the 10 speed. I took two test drives and the dealer let me keep one for a 5 day extended test drive... I found the 10 speed to be the most un-refined transmission I've driven. Shifting is like getting kicked in the back of the head by a horse.

Honestly, even with it's quirks, the ZF9 is butter smooth compared to the Acura 10 speed.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Seems like 6 gears is magic number in a traditional torque converter transmission. Performance and refinement seem to be maximized with decent efficiency too. Start adding gears in name of efficiency and shift characteristics start to suffer in some capacity.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Seems like 6 gears is magic number in a traditional torque converter transmission. Performance and refinement seem to be maximized with decent efficiency too. Start adding gears in name of efficiency and shift characteristics start to suffer in some capacity.
Infiniti has a 7 speed auto that is smooth. ZF makes 8 speed transmissions that are well-liked. Both of these transmissions are for longitudinal engine configurations, however.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Well, the 9 speed at least is being improved. I can tell for sure the 2017 I'm driving around is quite a bit smoother than my 2016. So, I have high hopes for the 2018+ variants. Just curious to see if I have to get one swapped in soon..

·
Registered
357 Posts
Believe it or not but my 2002 Pathfinder with 4 front gears shifts buttery smooth in almost every situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I can manually shift smoothly, the right guy writing the code can program the automatic to shift smoothly. The way my 18 shifts is not the end of the world, but it could be improved upon. I think these manufacturers get caught up with this dynamic mode crap and they lose sight of the fact that no one buys a luxury SUV to drag race. They over- complicate something that should be relatively simple to tune.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does the 10 speed have the dog clutch of the ZF 9 speed? I don’t believe so. That clutch was used (along with the traditional clutches) to make the transmission lighter and more compact. During the engaging of the dog clutch, there is a noticeable delay of downshifting.

The real answer is to go back to the flawlessly-shifting 6 speed. If it ain’t broke....

·
Registered
608 Posts
Does the 10 speed have the dog clutch of the ZF 9 speed? I don’t believe so. That clutch was used (along with the traditional clutches) to make the transmission lighter and more compact. During the engaging of the dog clutch, there is a noticeable delay of downshifting.

The real answer is to go back to the flawlessly-shifting 6 speed. If it ain’t broke....

Going back to the 6 speed and you'll see a decrease in performance, not only in acceleration but also in fuel economy (especially highway). With the refinements they've made to the ZF9 over the years and especially with the updates in the 2019 MDX it's actually a pretty good transmission. No need to go backwards

·
Registered
423 Posts
My lease on my 16 TLX is up in a few months, and I am seriously considering the 19 MDX Advance. I, too, was wondering about the fine tuning on the shifts and how it has changed. I have the same ZF 9 speed on my daughter's 2019 Jeep Cherokee paired to the 3.2 V6. Yeah, its not perfect. But, when I manually start it in 2nd gear from a stop it is much smoother. On the bright side, took it on a 450 mile trip, via highway, and because of that 9th gear, I averaged 32 MPG cruising around 75 mph. I would never get that high MPG on a 6 speed tranny.

Bottom line, I have been a beta tester before with Acura. I will no longer buy a first year vehicle from them. So, the 10 speed on the RDX is out for me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My lease on my 16 TLX is up in a few months, and I am seriously considering the 19 MDX Advance. I, too, was wondering about the fine tuning on the shifts and how it has changed. I have the same ZF 9 speed on my daughter's 2019 Jeep Cherokee paired to the 3.2 V6. Yeah, its not perfect. But, when I manually start it in 2nd gear from a stop it is much smoother. On the bright side, took it on a 450 mile trip, via highway, and because of that 9th gear, I averaged 32 MPG cruising around 75 mph. I would never get that high MPG on a 6 speed tranny.

Bottom line, I have been a beta tester before with Acura. I will no longer buy a first year vehicle from them. So, the 10 speed on the RDX is out for me.
It's not just Acura. Pretty much every manufacturer live beta testing first year or two. I've learned my lesson years ago to stay away from the first year model. The last year of the model is the most reliable one. There is always a catch 22, do you want a new tech or best reliability. I usually go for a middle ground.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I can also confirm that the 19 shifts better than my 17. My dealer said they helped me to update the software , but it didn't help. I believe technically it can be done, but i doubt the technician performed what i wished they would do. they also won't do it if it's not something certified by Acura

·
Registered
499 Posts
My 17 shifted great, until the X went in for regular service. Came back shifting rough after a software update... Perfect!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Based on many many posting out there on this/similar issue.
Modern (ACURA MDX/TSX/RDX/...) = Dumb design by engineers. , Can't make a smooth transmission. Definitely design flow but reluctant to change the design.
I have 2002 Acura with 270k miles, pefactly smooth transmission up or down shift. No issues at all.

Summary, - (Jerkyness, downshift feels like automatic braking and slowing the car and RPM jump up (right at 20 rmp, 40 rpm most), upshift at the start jerk, on downward slope car RPM goes high instead staying fix or low when no gas needed)

1) Many people just live with jerky transmission, because they bought/drive Acura 1st time so don't know what is the even issue.
2) Many people just live with jerky transmission, because they are convinced that that is how Acura transmission is. It is normal as per dealer making people fool.
3) Just replacing 3x3 transmission fluid is BS. Old transmission fluid doesn't cause jerkyness, if it is then honda fluid are extremely cheap made to deter in quality fast. Why no other brand vehicle has jerkyness issue. Have you ever seen old oil cause big time performance issue in engine function? Of course not. They why transmission fluid?
4) Many people just let the vehicle go when see an issue like this and trade in for different brand vehicle.
5) Many people don't complain, because they don't drive in traffic where they experience issue multiple time between 20 to 60 rpm. Most driver drive and then apply brake so don't even know the issue. I noticed, if driver applied brake then it dosen't cause an issue of jerkiness on downshift. Probably, software checks it if brake is applied or not and then change the RPM.
6) 2014 Onward Acura has electronic accelerator. How many of you know? This may be an issue by engineer to design proper sync mechanism especially for downshift.
7) my 2014 Acura MDX increase RPM to above 1200 in slopped (down) garage without pressing accelerator pedal. (While my 2002 MDX stays at standard 700/800 fix rpm). On down slop car goes by itself and doesn't need any gas or RPM should stay to minimum/fixed. Again a design flow in electronic accelerator when there no load to car.

For last 5-7 years Acura has this issue. Can someone explains why it can't be fixed? All acuras are designed same way for same year modal, but only few people complain. Why? Why issue is across the modal? like MDX, RDX, TLX all have the same damn issue?

At the end this suppose to be RECALL for all vehicles that has this issue. But, only TSBs. Why? Because, RECALL may lead into big time lawsuit against the company for damaging the torque converter and the transmission.
Don't buy ACURA again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts