Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made the leap and purchased a new 19 MDX AWD Advance with Entertainment last week and figured I'd start this thread to post my experience thus far and hopefully collect feedback from other 2019 owners as well.

I've only had the vehicle for a few days now and driven about 150 miles but so far I like it. The 9 speed is smooth and I don't even notice it's there, not sure how this relates to performance on the 2018 but at least for 2019 it would appear the refinements they made for this year have made a difference.

Driver safety tech works well overall and the lane keep assist steers to keep you centered in the lane instead of ping ponging back and forth in the lane. Adaptive cruise control works well but is touchy when using on the freeway in a major metro area with cars changing in and out lanes which causes it to slow down and speed up a lot. Lane departure mitigation also works well.

I get GPS signal as soon as I start up and go to the navigation screen so it would appear this issue from some 2017's has been resolved. Local search also works. I saw a pop up saying connecting to AcuraLink, does Local Search require AcuraLink subscription?

The touch screen is very quick and responsive and I can see it fine with polarized sunglasses. The interface for the dual screen infotainment setup is different but will be fine once you get the hang of it. Biggest gripe is you aren't able to move around the menus on either screen by using steering wheel controls (outside of changing songs); you have to use either the touch screen or the turn button for the top info screen.

Navigation worked well and the turn by turn directions show up in the MID in the Guage cluster. Voice control for navigation worked fine as well, once you either follow prompts or learn the commands.

Navigating music libraries was another gripe. In my Infiniti I can scroll through artist, album, playlist etc for my entire library on my ipod using controls on my steering wheel. The MDX not only lacks the controls on the steering wheel, it doesn't allow you to scroll through the library at all using Android Auto (this is android auto limitation for safety) and even ipod forces you to use the touch screen. Another gripe is let's say you find an artist in the "T" part of the alphabet, if you want to scroll to a different artist after listening to the current one you start all over again at the top. My Infiniti I could pick up where I left off. So for music it's pretty much limited to playlists, channels (through Android auto) or listening to the radio. In the end it will work it just forces me to completely change how I've been listening to music for the past 10 years, which will end up being a positive I think.

Android Auto is great. Pressing and holding the voice button on the steering wheel brings up Google Assistant and you can talk to it just like on your phone. You can say "navigate to xxxxx" and it automatically pulls up that location and starts navigating with Google Maps (I haven't tried waze yet). Another cool thing is the turn by turn directions and current street show up in the MID in the Guage cluster when route guidance is active just like acura nav so that was an added bonus I was told would not work. Biggest thing for me is learning how to use the turn wheel button to navigate the top screen but I'm getting used to it.

Overall it's very quiet inside and the active damper suspension is pretty smooth over bumps. The cornering isn't quite as tight as it is in my FX35 but is a healthy compromise between ride comfort, smoothing out bumps yet being stiff in cornering etc.

Only other gripe is the left drivers foot rest / dead pedal is a little close for comfort so I'm still playing around with seating position to see if I can find a good position that allows me to stretch my leg. I'll also meet with a local custom interior shop to get their thoughts on what could possibly be done to provide an extra inch or two of room or altering the incline slightly to make it more comfortable.

Lastly the new advance wheels and body colored lower trim introduced on the non hybrid 19 Advance really look nice in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also bought 2019 MDX Advance with Entertainment couple of days ago. Also white :)

I had 2016 MDX Advance before and so far see a lot of improvements, with some being very subtle. The car does drive much smoother, infotainment system is considerably faster. Backup camera (and other cameras) is still of pretty bad quality, though. I don't get why they couldn't spend extra $50 or so to put decent cameras in this car. Android Auto makes a lot of issues with technology (nav/infotainment) go away. I'm not sure if you are referring to the same issue with Android Auto about browsing music but when you push the main wheel to the left you get into menu that lets you access your albums, playlists, etc (I'm referring to Google Music app). There's also music queue button the left of Play button to see list of songs that will play next.

Have you had a chance to explore entertainment system? I was able to hook up Chromecast, which works amazing -- I can stream anything from my phone to the screen. (I'm using hotspot created on my phone.) Do you know if any video files can be played besides DVD format via disk or USB input?

I've noticed one thing with my MDX and I'm not sure if it's normal as my 2016 MDX behaved differently. When the car is on a somewhat steep hill and headed uphill (around 15 degrees, nothing crazy) and I'm taking foot off brake pedal (the car is in Drive), MDX holds in place for 2-3 seconds and then rolls back as if it's in Neutral. I would really appreciate if you could test this behavior on your car to see if it's normal or not (my 2016 was holding in place without rollback).

·
Registered
458 Posts
Did they make a change by adding active dampers to all MDX's in 2019? Previously its been limited to the sport hybrid only. They are an awesome feature and worth every penny, hope they continue on the 4th gen.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did they make a change by adding active dampers to all MDX's in 2019? Previously its been limited to the sport hybrid only. They are an awesome feature and worth every penny, hope they continue on the 4th gen.
No they only added active dampers to the non hybrid Advance models for 2019. Base and tech non hybrid models still have the same suspension as previous years

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up a 2019 model with Tech Package.

Is there a way to use a flash drive with 1000s of MP3 files along with Apple Car Play or Android Auto? Like many people, I get too much junk mail. I don't like my music being interrupted each time I get a junk mail so I just don't keep any music on my phone. But I do want to use Android Auto or Apple Car Play.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It seems like out of 5 total USB ports on the MY2019 Tech Pkg, only 1 is capable of reading any sort of data. I cannot have both USB flash drive and my phone plugged in, and go back and forth between MP3 on my flash drive and Android Auto or Apple Car Play. Ideally, I would like to listen to MP3 files stored on a flash drive and use Android Auto simultaneously.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems like out of 5 total USB ports on the MY2019 Tech Pkg, only 1 is capable of reading any sort of data. I cannot have both USB flash drive and my phone plugged in, and go back and forth between MP3 on my flash drive and Android Auto or Apple Car Play. Ideally, I would like to listen to MP3 files stored on a flash drive and use Android Auto simultaneously.
I believe you are correct, I looked at the same with my 19 MDX.

Your only other option is to connect the phone via Bluetooth only (not USB) and use the USB port for the flash drive. That would mean you couldn't use android auto tho, just phone calls and stream music over Bluetooth.

Or else copy the music from the flash drive to the internal hard drive in the mdx and play music from there.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't realize that could be done. I thought only audio cd can be ripped onto the internal hard drive. Can you tell me how?
I don't know what methods are available to get music onto the hard drive. Maybe the only option is to rip from an audio cd, I haven't tried it. Wonder if it would work with a data cd with mp3 instead of an audio cd?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just purchased a 2019 Tech as well (white too). I had a 2008 Tech prior, was a good car, just wanted to update. Overall I have been very happy with the car. My wife has a 2016 Accord and I have to say, in some ways I feel the systems in her car are more mature. The cruise control and LKAS seems to be more smooth vs the Acura. Also she has carplay that wasn't added to Acura until the 2018 models. So this seemed a little backwards to me considering that Acura is the luxury line.

The car is smooth for sure. I had my 2008 in for service and honestly, the loaner is what made me consider updating (their little trick worked :) ).

I will say, I do feel they did something with the transmission between the 2018 and 2019. The 19 seems soooooo much smoother on the shifting, like you can barely feel it, and the 18 you could really full it shift.

Love the car and plan to keep it for 10 yrs.

Oh and this is my first post... had no idea this site existed. Hope to learn a lot, and eventually contribute.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've noticed one thing with my MDX and I'm not sure if it's normal as my 2016 MDX behaved differently. When the car is on a somewhat steep hill and headed uphill (around 15 degrees, nothing crazy) and I'm taking foot off brake pedal (the car is in Drive), MDX holds in place for 2-3 seconds and then rolls back as if it's in Neutral. I would really appreciate if you could test this behavior on your car to see if it's normal or not (my 2016 was holding in place without rollback).
Mine rolls back after a few seconds as well

·
Registered
423 Posts
I will say, I do feel they did something with the transmission between the 2018 and 2019. The 19 seems soooooo much smoother on the shifting, like you can barely feel it, and the 18 you could really full it shift.
They did program the 19 to start in 2nd gear unless you are in sport mode, when it starts in first. HUGE improvement. I love my 19 as well. Silky smooth transmission. Only took 3 years to get it right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently purchased a 2019 Advance SH-AWD, trading up from a 2016 w/tech. The car has less than 600 miles on it.

I have a rattle (see video link below) that comes and goes from the driver's side front end when going over manhole covers, small bumps, etc. I would describe it as a rattle/ticking/squeaking noise. I made an appt and took it in to the dealer and of course on the way there, it made no noise whatsoever and the dealer consequently could not find it. They said they drove it on a bumpy road, didn't hear anything, gave it a once over of the suspension parts (said everything looked fine) and sent me on my way home, telling me that if I am out and about and it does it again to stop by and they'd have a tech ride with me.

The next morning - guess what -it was making the noise again. I drove to the dealer but they said they were packed and couldn't spare a tech to ride with me - I get back in the car to drive home - NO NOISE.

It is driving me insane, and I'm sure my dealer thinks I'm nuts because the two times I've gone in, it miraculously stops. I've checked even simple things like the license plate frame, the plastic cowling in the engine bay, and I can't find anything that could be squeaking. My 2016 was silent and this noise is driving me nuts...especially with it being new, and it being so sporadic. I've been unable to find any commonality of when it happens (I.e. it's raining or it's cold).

I have included a link to a video I took that illustrates the noise below. A good example of where it's heard is between :16 and :26 into the video, and again between :36 and :40.

Any ideas - I'm all ears!

EDIT: it won't allow me to post a link to the video because of my post count. I'd be happy to provide the link to anyone who wants it via DM/PM.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Y’all are funny, put down your phone and drive. Who needs a brake hold with an automatic?

·
Registered
40 Posts
They did program the 19 to start in 2nd gear unless you are in sport mode, when it starts in first. HUGE improvement. I love my 19 as well. Silky smooth transmission. Only took 3 years to get it right.

I wonder if they will do the transmission updates for the 18 or older models as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wonder if they will do the transmission updates for the 18 or older models as well.
I am skeptical unless we push hard though the only issue with my late 2018 is the initial shift when cold. I still think there needs to be a class action against acura to replace all the ZF 9 transmissions with updated ones especially if the car is under warranty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am skeptical unless we push hard though the only issue with my late 2018 is the initial shift when cold. I still think there needs to be a class action against acura to replace all the ZF 9 transmissions with updated ones especially if the car is under warranty.

I know, even my 13 Sienna's shifting is smoother and more responsive than my 18 mdx, very sad.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts