Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should i buy the 2019 mdx or audi q7? i am looking at the total cost of owning
the vehicle including purchase price and the maintenance cost down the road. I heard people said the q7 is less reliable than the X. Which car would you buy and why?:smile2:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
As a company, I think Honda/Acura is more ethical than Audi/VW. That may or may not influence your purchasing decisions.

The Q7 has some nice tech in it, no doubt; but the Q7 costs considerably more than the MDX, both for the initial purchase, as well as ongoing maintenance costs.

If your concerns are total cost of ownership and minimizing time in the shop, then Acura spanks Audi.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
If you are looking at a dollar to dollar price comparison; then it will always the MDX with standard features, tech, power, mpgs, and reliability. A base model Q7 2.0T starts at a well equip MDX sh-awd tech level. The Q7 2.0T can easily bump up to MDX Adv or Sport Hybrid sh-awd prices just by checking 3-4 check boxes for apple to apple features.

I really think you have to compare the two vehicles subjectively (how it makes you feel, looks, image, etc...) and leave out price and value if you are trying to pick from the two.

·
Registered
115 Posts
When you ask on an MDX forum, your answer is going to be MDX and vice versa.
You really just need to test drive and compare the specs to see which fits your needs/wants.

when I compared, MDX was significantly cheaper and has every feature I want already:
Safety, heated seats and steering wheel, rear seats fold flat, tow rating, remote start, ergonomic for me, not ugly to me, quiet ride, dealership was not terrible (you might have to deal with them for as long as you own the vehicle).

Q7 was a little bit nicer but really didn't provide more value for me.
Plus, the popularity of Honda/Acura and the size of its online community means the availability of DIY tutorials, and aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Also, make sure you price them out with the options you want.
Base MDX is really loaded with features (or at least it was back in 2015 in Canada), so you can't just look at the base price.

When I loaded all the feature I wanted, MDX came out cheaper than Hyundai SantaFe, or Ford Explorer, or Honda Pilot.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Which car would you buy and why?
Almost everyone on this forum already chose an MDX so you're likely to not get the feedback you're looking for - there'll be a bias.

I chose the MDX (back in 2013) over the Q7 (previous gen of it) because the MDX was a greater value, had all the features I wanted, had higher performance and handling than the Q7, and has a better reliability rep than the Audi. The MDX was my first Honda/Acura vehicle so I didn't have a bias towards it when checking out the competitors in the segment.

If I were looking again now I'd still choose the MDX for the same reasons but also because I don't like the styling of the Q7.

·
Registered
59 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=q7+mdx

Not the most substantive post, I realize, but there's some good information there. As others have pointed out, you're asking an MDX vs. _________ question on an MDX forum; it's unlikely you're going to get anyone to say Q7.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Just because you asked on a MDX forum, I'm going to say Q7!

But seriously, the Q7 is newer tech, decent drive, but don't own/lease it past 4 years at least initially. If price is not a factor, the Q7 is just a better packaged vehicle if you don't mind short term ownership/lease. BUT you mentioned total cost of owning and I will tell you that MDX is a dead win in that sector IF you are owning it out of warranty. In warranty and for the first 4 years while in warranty is pretty much just oil changes. Out of warranty, MDX is waaaay cheaper to maintain because of Honda pricing on parts. But we really don't know how well the electronics will last in this generation.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked this question in this forum is to get some feedback from those mdx owners who also own Audi Q7. I still own and like my 03 touring mdx for which I am quite satisfied with its reliability and handling. I agreed with some saying owning the q7 not to past its warranty period, otherwise, the maintenance and repair cost for German parts will be quite expensive. The q7 looks luxurious, but the X is a very practical car. I will probably wait till the next generation of the mdx to make a decision.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I agreed with some saying owning the q7 not to past its warranty period, otherwise, the maintenance and repair cost for German parts will be quite expensive.
And if you don't keep it past the warranty period you're losing money by only keeping it on the steepest part of its depreciation curve rather than taking advantage of the decreasing rate of depreciation as the vehicle ages.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
And if you don't keep it past the warranty period you're losing money by only keeping it on the steepest part of its depreciation curve rather than taking advantage of the decreasing rate of depreciation as the vehicle ages.
Depreciation may slow down, as vehicle age increases; but maintenance costs increase severely on the German offerings. Looking at the total cost of ownership, I think that's why so many people lease the German offerings. You end up paying the same, either way, but the lease keeps you in a "newer" vehicle, and you have less downtime for repairs.

Contrast that with Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus, where long-term maintenance costs are considerably more manageable; so buying and keeping the vehicle helps amortize the initial depreciation.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Depreciation may slow down, as vehicle age increases; but maintenance costs increase severely on the German offerings. Looking at the total cost of ownership, I think that's why so many people lease the German offerings...
Right but my point is that there's a double financial hit - owning it on the steepest part of the depreciation curve without taking advantage of the gentler slope as time goes on increases the TCO, yet if it's kept longer there's the potential cost of expensive maintenance if the vehicle isn't that reliable and/or the service and parts costs are higher than the vehicle being compared against which increases the TCO as well. In other words, one loses with either choice.

I'd never consider leasing a car ever, and wouldn't consider buying a car for only the warranty period. I only buy and have always kept my vehicles well past the factory warranty period and even past what an extended warranty would cover although I'd never buy an extended warranty either. I do mitigate some of the maintenance costs by doing most service/repair myself but my preference would be to need to do as little maintenance as possible.

·
Registered
288 Posts
which one

For whatever value you place on this - the Q7 is Consumer Reports' highest rated luxury SUV. If money is no object, get the Q7, but make sure you negotiate a good extended warranty for yourself, as you don't want to own a German luxury car without some warranty covering your a**.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
the Q7 is Consumer Reports' highest rated luxury SUV
I haven't read their report but I wouldn't put much on the face value of this. CR rates on various attributes and some attributes important to them or significant in their calculations might not be important to the individual purchasing and others might be more important - i.e. the weighting of the attributes is bound to be different for different people.

For example, some people go on and on about the infotainment system and seem to weight it very highly in their assessment of a vehicle but I weight it less and I weight handling, acceleration, etc, more highly and this applies to all kinds of attributes, depending on what's important to an individual. For example, some people complain the 3rd gen ride is too harsh and probably would prefer it to ride more like a cushy sofa but others, myself included are willing to take a firmer suspension in favor of the tighter handling aspect.

In addition, sometimes CR doesn't take into account at all the projected reliability of the vehicle and sometimes they do. Sometimes the mileage is a significant factor and sometimes it's not. On top of all this they're usually not comparing all vehicles across the board and are sometimes just comparing a few so their assessment means nothing for the vehicles not included in the comparison.

In other words, different people have different requirements and something like an overall CR pick often doesn't mean much. What's more informative are objective data/opinions they might offer in their assessments of the different vehicles so people can pick and choose based on what's important to them. I'd want to read what they liked and didn't like about the various vehicles but I'd reach my own conclusion - not the conclusion of a few people who write for a magazine and likely aren't aligned with my perspective and interests and usage of a vehicle.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If money is not an issue, then Q7 for sure! Overall craftsmanship is better and more luxurious. If you consider total cost of ownership (considering you own the vehicle at least 3 years payment free), reliability, then definitely the MDX.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just got the 5th recall on our 2013 A6. Add to that diesel gate, monkey gate....and the latest recall says the car can literally catch fire if parked inside lol. Yeah go buy an Audi.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Don't forget to consider the cost of Audi Connect subscription services to make full use of all the tech in the Q7. For example, to get traffic rerouting through virtual cockpit and head up display you need Audi Connect subscription which I believe is over $300 per year. Android auto only works on the monitor not virtual cockpit or head up display.

Also the Q7 has 5 recalls where the MDX only has 1 on consumer reports.

I like both vehicles but due to up front cost of Q7 being about 10k more then MDX, higher maintenance and repair costs, and higher cost of subscription services to make full use of tech makes the MDX a much better value.

I seriously considered the Q7 and if money were no object then I'd probably buy a Q7. As it stands though I'm leaning towards the MDX since it's a much better value in total cost of ownership.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts