Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently own a 2018 Tech (non-Hybrid) which was purchased in March 2018. From day 1, I didn't like the jerkiness of the transmission. The first shift was very abrupt and the overall feel of the shifts is not smooth. I've read that the 7-speed transmission on the Hybrid is a much improved driving experience than the 9 speed and I wanted feedback on whether the difference is noticeable. The dealer who I am working with is discounting a 2019 Hybrid Tech so I seem to be getting a good deal (~44k). I'll see how much I get on my trade-in, but I know that I'll be taking a financial hit. The other negative is that my current MDX is Modern Steel Metalic and the 2019 is White, which is not my first choice.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I currently own a 2018 Hybrid which was purchased in March 2018. From day 1, I didn't like the jerkiness of the transmission. The first shift was very abrupt and the overall feel of the shifts is not smooth. I've read that the 7-speed transmission on the Hybrid is a much improved driving experience than the 9 speed and I wanted feedback on whether the difference is noticeable. The dealer who I am working with is discounting a 2019 Hybrid Tech so I seem to be getting a good deal (~44k). I'll see how much I get on my trade-in, but I know that I'll be taking a financial hit. The other negative is that my current MDX is Modern Steel Metalic and the 2019 is White, which is not my first choice.
Your post doesn’t make any sense. Your trading a 2018 hybrid for a 2019 hybrid. And you are asking about the transmission in a non hybrid. Please re-read your post. Something doesn’t make sense.
Since it’s probably just a typo,we love our hybrid. On the other hand,I don’t understand people who dislike their car so much that they are willing to get killed financially. Then go out and buy the same brand. The hybrid is nice. But not that nice.
Have you had the transmission checked out to make sure it’s shifting properly? That would be cheaper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your post doesn’t make any sense. Your trading a 2018 hybrid for a 2019 hybrid. And you are asking about the transmission in a non hybrid. Please re-read your post. Something doesn’t make sense.
Sorry for the confusion, I currently drive a 2018 MDX Tech (non-hybrid), and am looking at a 2019 MDX Sport Hybrid Tech. I am unhappy with the drive of the 9-speed transmission and wanted feedback on the drive quality of the 2019 MDX Hybrid.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went from a 2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD to a 2020 MDX Hybrid Tech and love it so far! The transmission is smooth and the power band is awesome especially on the low end.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have a 19 MDX Adv hybrid with 3000 miles.

The 7DCT is pretty smooth; except, if the gas engine is off at a stop and press the accelerator too hard and the MDX needs to transition from EV to EV+gas quickly (that might be more Auto Stop/Start engaging than 7DCT). I sometimes put it in Sport+ mode to start the gas engine to eliminate the Auto Stop/Start at a light if I need to apply more power than usual.

I do have the "clunk" into reverse if I'm parked on an incline. I engage the parking brake and then Park to eliminate the "clunk" sound when I need to go into reverse. Never had the "clunk" with my TSX, RDX, or MDX when backing out of my driveway with a decline from park (first DCT).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, I currently drive a 2018 MDX Tech (non-hybrid), and am looking at a 2019 MDX Sport Hybrid Tech. I am unhappy with the drive of the 9-speed transmission and wanted feedback on the drive quality of the 2019 MDX Hybrid.
I own a 2017 MDX and love it, happen to stumble upon this feed... What are the major differences between a non-hybrid and a hybrid aside from the fuel economy?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I didn't like the jerkiness of the transmission. The first shift was very abrupt and the overall feel of the shifts is not smooth.
Did you have the dealer service look at this? There have been some complaints posted here regarding the shifting of the 9 sp but also of how software updates have in some cases improved the shifting to a point where it's no longer an annoyance. If you think it's not working well have it looked at.

You'll likely take a huge financial hit on this exchange primarily due to something that might be able to be fixed.

Note - I don't have the 9sp or 7sp, I have the 6sp, so I can't speak directly to either of them.

Another thought - the 4th gen MDX is likely not far off - you might want to wait to see what it's like so you won't be inclined to do yet another turnover along with the big financial hit in a year (or whatever) from now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you have the dealer service look at this? There have been some complaints posted here regarding the shifting of the 9 sp but also of how software updates have in some cases improved the shifting to a point where it's no longer an annoyance. If you think it's not working well have it looked at.

You'll likely take a huge financial hit on this exchange primarily due to something that might be able to be fixed.

Note - I don't have the 9sp or 7sp, I have the 6sp, so I can't speak directly to either of them.

Another thought - the 4th gen MDX is likely not far off - you might want to wait to see what it's like so you won't be inclined to do yet another turnover along with the big financial hit in a year (or whatever) from now.
I've brought it in previously for routine servicing and was told that it was driving normally. I agree with the financial hit that I am going to take if I move forward with the '19 Hybrid. I know it isn't the sensible thing to do but I drive 18k a year as part of my commute and I'm not enjoying this car. A part of me hopes that the dealer will sell the car before I get a chance to test drive it on Saturday to save me from making a bad decision.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2018 Advance AWD that I bought in March 2018 for what was then a good price of 52K. The transmission has not been my favorite part of the vehicle but after a recent visit to the dealership they performed a throttle body cleaning and relearn which seems to have greatly improved the low end responsiveness. YMMV but worth a shot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2018 Hybrid Advance. The ride, drive and transmission are perfect. Yes, when it switches from electric to gas from stop when accelerating from a stop it is not smooth as silk, but it certainly is not even close to rough. After 17k I could not be happier. Instant power and an awesome drive/ride. For me could not be better. I use Android Auto off my Pixel 3 and love the use of Waze/Google Maps for Nav. My 3rd MDX and by far the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2018 Advance AWD that I bought in March 2018 for what was then a good price of 52K. The transmission has not been my favorite part of the vehicle but after a recent visit to the dealership they performed a throttle body cleaning and relearn which seems to have greatly improved the low end responsiveness. YMMV but worth a shot.
Thanks for your feedback regarding the throttle body cleaning and relearn. I'll reach out to the Acura Service Department to see if that's something they have done with other MDX's.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
On the hybrid MDX, can you force engine to run, or force it not to run?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I own a 2017 MDX and love it, happen to stumble upon this feed... What are the major differences between a non-hybrid and a hybrid aside from the fuel economy?
The advantages with the sport hybrid are:

• 321hp/289tq for fast off the line and mid range passing TQ
  • rated 27 city and 26 hwy (I'm avg about 25.5 so far in Sport mode after 3000 miles of 95% city)
  • very smooth 7DCT, you can use the paddles for more performance or engine braking
  • 3 electric motors with battery pack under the front seats for a mix or 100% EV mode for several miles if conditions are right
  • electronic dampers
  • Sport+ mode (engages for max EV, 7DCT, and V-6 power delivery)
  • independent regen braking
  • can run fwd with or without electric motor
  • can run rwd without front motor (can also run 1 wheel rear wheel drive)
  • sh-awd that works with or without engine power for more stability in curves. The inside rear wheel can go into regen mode and spin slower to help rotate the MDX around corners.
  • much smoother Auto Stop/Start system
  • lower front/rear bumper trim is painted with body color instead of plastic
  • looks like a regular MDX inside and out with the exception of the hybrid badge on fender and blue "SH" on the sh-awd on the rear. Has a power distribution screen in the Navi to show how hybrid/gas power is being utilized, no Auto Stop/Start button, and it doesn't show sh-awd graphics in the M.I.D. area.
Disadvantages:
  • no towing (some still add an hitch for bikes or cargo carrier)
  • adv model only has 2nd row captains chairs
  • Adv model is way overpriced at $6000 for what you get compared to the tech version (I still got the Adv model)
  • no entertainment system available for the hybrid
  • comes with 20X8 rims
  • no spare tire or tire changing tools (do get an air compressor)
  • no plug in option to top off EV battery

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
On the hybrid MDX, can you force engine to run, or force it not to run?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
So far from what I observed is Sport+ mode engages the engine and electric motors at the same time. You have to select Sport+ mode at each start up. I haven't driven extended periods in Sport+ mode to see if the MDX goes into EV mode? Only way to force into EV mode is to go easy on the gas pedal like in neighborhood speeds of 25-35 mph. No button to force into or maximize EV mode.

My impressions is the MDX sport hybrid is it is a performance SUV that happens to get good mpgs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haven't driven extended periods in Sport+ mode to see if the MDX goes into EV mode? Only way to force into EV mode is to go easy on the gas pedal like in neighborhood speeds of 25-35 mph. No button to force into or maximize EV mode.

My impressions is the MDX sport hybrid is it is a performance SUV that happens to get good mpgs.
It will never go in just EV mode if you have it in Sport+ mode.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I have a 2018 Hybrid Advance. The ride, drive and transmission are perfect. Yes, when it switches from electric to gas from stop when accelerating from a stop it is not smooth as silk, but it certainly is not even close to rough. After 17k I could not be happier. Instant power and an awesome drive/ride. For me could not be better. I use Android Auto off my Pixel 3 and love the use of Waze/Google Maps for Nav. My 3rd MDX and by far the best.
Congratulations for enjoying your hybrid! Just curious about this remark: "when it switches from electric to gas from stop when accelerating from a stop it is not smooth as silk". Have you had a 2nd gen MDX and in terms of silky smoothness, do you think under this specific situation, your hybrid is still better than 2nd gen? Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Traded a 2014 MDX for a 2018 Hybrid Tech. I test drove the non-hybrid version several times and just wasn't happy with the the clunky shifting. Not even close to what should be expected from a luxury car. At that point hybrids were difficult to find. They would show up one day and be gone in a day or two. Virtually nothing available to drive locally. During this period, I kept reading glowing reports about smoothness and performance.

My patience was rewarded in 2019. After setting the search aside for a few months, I found two 2018 Techs at Crest in Syracuse, NY. I cleaned up the 2014 and made the long drive to get there. Within the first 10 minutes (of the 35 minute test drive), I knew I had a winner. Got a stupid good deal and drove it home that day.

I wanted an MDX because of my experience with my '14 MDX and the great price/value of the MDX in general. The hybrid eliminated the major performance and concern I had with the transmission and the way it shifted. The 7 speed hybrid transmission is butter smooth. Took some time to get used to the engine stopping, but that is a non-issue now.

Two other things I will mention that made this an excellent purchase for me. I insist on a vehicle that has enough power under the pedal to move the thing when it is necessary; I don't want sluggish or under-powered to compromise safety. The 2014 delivered on this requirement. I was also always impressed with the way the 2014 handled more like a car than an SUV, mostly attributable to the SH-AWD. Minimal body roll for a vehicle of that size and shape and the curves/turns were dealt with nicely. My research concerning the hybrid mentioned some additional performance improvement that was intriguing. The 3 electric motors deliver a noticeable increase in power - good stuff. However, they also, in combination with the engineering, noticeably improve the prerformance of the SH-AWD in holding the road in curves. The MDX senses when to transfer to the electric motors to help it through the contours (Torque Vectoring). It is absolutely superb with this feature and it is a terrific enhancement to what was already a great handling car.

After 13 months with this beauty, I tell you that as far as I am concerned, they should sell only the hybrid and stop making the other one. It is that good.

I hope the above is helpful. I tried to give you an honest assessment without hyperbole.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Traded a 2014 MDX for a 2018 Hybrid Tech. I test drove the non-hybrid version several times and just wasn't happy with the the clunky shifting. Not even close to what should be expected from a luxury car. At that point hybrids were difficult to find. They would show up one day and be gone in a day or two. Virtually nothing available to drive locally. During this period, I kept reading glowing reports about smoothness and performance.

My patience was rewarded in 2019. After setting the search aside for a few months, I found two 2018 Techs at Crest in Syracuse, NY. I cleaned up the 2014 and made the long drive to get there. Within the first 10 minutes (of the 35 minute test drive), I knew I had a winner. Got a stupid good deal and drove it home that day.

I wanted an MDX because of my experience with my '14 MDX and the great price/value of the MDX in general. The hybrid eliminated the major performance and concern I had with the transmission and the way it shifted. The 7 speed hybrid transmission is butter smooth. Took some time to get used to the engine stopping, but that is a non-issue now.

Two other things I will mention that made this an excellent purchase for me. I insist on a vehicle that has enough power under the pedal to move the thing when it is necessary; I don't want sluggish or under-powered to compromise safety. The 2014 delivered on this requirement. I was also always impressed with the way the 2014 handled more like a car than an SUV, mostly attributable to the SH-AWD. Minimal body roll for a vehicle of that size and shape and the curves/turns were dealt with nicely. My research concerning the hybrid mentioned some additional performance improvement that was intriguing. The 3 electric motors deliver a noticeable increase in power - good stuff. However, they also, in combination with the engineering, noticeably improve the prerformance of the SH-AWD in holding the road in curves. The MDX senses when to transfer to the electric motors to help it through the contours (Torque Vectoring). It is absolutely superb with this feature and it is a terrific enhancement to what was already a great handling car.

After 13 months with this beauty, I tell you that as far as I am concerned, they should sell only the hybrid and stop making the other one. It is that good.

I hope the above is helpful. I tried to give you an honest assessment without hyperbole.
Thanks for your post. It sounds like you really love your MDX Hybrid. Unfortunately, the dealer wouldn't give me enough for my '18 MDX Tech so I'm going to put this on hold. In spite of the clunky shifting in the lower gears, it drives beautifully on the highway which is where I drive the majority of the time for my commute. I've gotten some great feedback from everyone and hopefully, the 4th gen MDX will include a Hybrid model that I can move to in the future.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
MrGold and Ray (and others I might've missed) - thanks for your details on the hybrid. Whenever I'm ready to replace my 2014 MDX, which probably won't be for a few years, I'll strongly consider the hybrid but mostly for the performance and driving experience aspects you mentioned rather than any mileage differences, which appear to not be that significant anyway. I think Ray's suggestion about just making them all hybrid is an interesting one - maybe Acura will do that on the next gen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts