Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I try to remember to turn off my auto stop/start every time I shift into reverse to prevent this anomaly from happening to me.
On certain vehicles there's an hood switch that confirms the hood is closed and another that will feed the auto stop/start circuitry. On other models it's a wire that is attached to the positive battery lead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. After I had the car in for the recall service for the fuel pump I have had problems with the car stalling or shifting to neutral from drive after the auto stop feature is engaged. This typically happens when the engine tries to restart after having shutoff at the stop. It is difficult to replicate the problem and the dealer can't seem to replicated the problem but it has happened to me probably a dozen times despite not driving much. Typically it happens after a long drive or a lot of around town driving (maybe when the engine is hot?). The dealer does not believe it is related to the fuel pump replacement but that is when it seemed to start happening. Very frustrating as I have been to the dealer 3 times with the problem and they cannot find it. They supposedly also replaced the battery and updated the software in the car but that has not solved it. So, I am reaching out to this group to see if anyone else has had this experience. I am growing concerned because it could be dangerous. The last stall happened and it took a minute or so to get the car running again at a busy and large intersection. Worried about being on an incline. As I stated it doesn't happen all of the time, sometimes there is just a hesitation but the car starts and lurches forward. I have a 2019 with about 25K miles on it and have used primarily for long distance trips and not much around town driving. Thanks for the help.
Yes, came here searching to see if others have had this issue. This happens to me with my 2017 Acura MDX. Scares me to death because, as you stated, it will happen while sitting idle at a busy intersection. When I try to put it back in drive it doesn’t respond. I finally turn the car off in a panic and eventually get it started and back into drive. It has happened about a half dozen times in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, came here searching to see if others have had this issue. This happens to me with my 2017 Acura MDX. Scares me to death because, as you stated, it will happen while sitting idle at a busy intersection. When I try to put it back in drive it doesn’t respond. I finally turn the car off in a panic and eventually get it started and back into drive. It has happened about a half dozen times in the last 2 years.
Sorry to hear you are having the same issue. I took the car to a dealer several times to try to diagnose but they claim not to have been able to. Reported it to American Honda (Acura customer care) and they said take it to a dealer (you should report it to them). I am curious did you ever take your car in for the fuel pump recall? That’s the only thing I can pinpoint as a possible cause but the dealer says no. I have resigned to disabling the feature each time I drive. Not ideal and at times forget and it happens. Happened just yesterday although did not drop to neutral just a long hesitation before starting to move. Very frustrating. Will ask about it again the next time I take it in. Lmk if you learn anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sorry to hear you are having the same issue. I took the car to a dealer several times to try to diagnose but they claim not to have been able to. Reported it to American Honda (Acura customer care) and they said take it to a dealer (you should report it to them). I am curious did you ever take your car in for the fuel pump recall? That’s the only thing I can pinpoint as a possible cause but the dealer says no. I have resigned to disabling the feature each time I drive. Not ideal and at times forget and it happens. Happened just yesterday although did not drop to neutral just a long hesitation before starting to move. Very frustrating. Will ask about it again the next time I take it in. Lmk if you learn anything.
Unfortunately it happened again yesterday and the car went to neutral and stalled at a busy intersection. I am definitely reporting again as it is a safety issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. After I had the car in for the recall service for the fuel pump I have had problems with the car stalling or shifting to neutral from drive after the auto stop feature is engaged. This typically happens when the engine tries to restart after having shutoff at the stop. It is difficult to replicate the problem and the dealer can't seem to replicated the problem but it has happened to me probably a dozen times despite not driving much. Typically it happens after a long drive or a lot of around town driving (maybe when the engine is hot?). The dealer does not believe it is related to the fuel pump replacement but that is when it seemed to start happening. Very frustrating as I have been to the dealer 3 times with the problem and they cannot find it. They supposedly also replaced the battery and updated the software in the car but that has not solved it. So, I am reaching out to this group to see if anyone else has had this experience. I am growing concerned because it could be dangerous. The last stall happened and it took a minute or so to get the car running again at a busy and large intersection. Worried about being on an incline. As I stated it doesn't happen all of the time, sometimes there is just a hesitation but the car starts and lurches forward. I have a 2019 with about 25K miles on it and have used primarily for long distance trips and not much around town driving. Thanks for the help.
2019 MDX same issue. Need to disable the idle stopper every time we start the car to avoid the occasional power loss when we stop at a light.
Had same issue with a BMW and I upgraded the battery to H8 AGM. I just bought and H6 AGM interstate ($179 at Costco) battery which what they use on the hybrid model and I am hoping that would help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem my Acura MDX 2019 has 42k miles and the problem started today

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2019 MDX. No fuel pump change. Similar problem started on it like a year ago. It has happened like half a dozen times now. I saw someone mentioned it happens in hot weather. I live in Canada so we only get hot weather for 4-5 months. I will wait for winter this year and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Having gotten fed up with the randomness of the auto start-stop in my '19 MDX, I purchased the IdleStopper Idlestopper v2 Full Plug and Play | Idlestopper and installed it and couldn't be happier. Been running it for probably 6 months now, and it always disables the auto start-stop each time I start the engine - but the button still works if I do decide to do it. So far no issues with the dealer having it installed. It's plug-and-play so it's like 5 mins to undo the install. Highly recommend it.

PS - if you compare the auto start-stop in the gas-powered MDX, and compare it to the behavior in an MDX (and RLX) hybrid, it's significantly different in that the hybrid always has electric power to the motor, so you're never dead in the water should the gas engine not start up.

andy

Reactions: Av8rtrav

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX Advance SH AWD
137 Posts
Having gotten fed up with the randomness of the auto start-stop in my '19 MDX, I purchased the IdleStopper Idlestopper v2 Full Plug and Play | Idlestopper and installed it and couldn't be happier. Been running it for probably 6 months now, and it always disables the auto start-stop each time I start the engine - but the button still works if I do decide to do it. So far no issues with the dealer having it installed. It's plug-and-play so it's like 5 mins to undo the install. Highly recommend it.

PS - if you compare the auto start-stop in the gas-powered MDX, and compare it to the behavior in an MDX (and RLX) hybrid, it's significantly different in that the hybrid always has electric power to the motor, so you're never dead in the water should the gas engine not start up.

andy
I've never had an issue, my MDX has started every time. But, I think by design it should be off, just like brake hold is off by default. Will have to buy this. I already took the console up once to replace USB charger from prior owner soda spill and it was super easy. This idle stopper looks really simple. Now if only they had a device to deactivate the adaptive cruise timeout...that would be epic!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've never had an issue, my MDX has started every time. But, I think by design it should be off, just like brake hold is off by default. Will have to buy this. I already took the console up once to replace USB charger from prior owner soda spill and it was super easy. This idle stopper looks really simple. Now if only they had a device to deactivate the adaptive cruise timeout...that would be epic!!
Ask, and you shall receive. :) And unlike the auto-stop-start, it appears to remember the setting after restarts....
Font Material property Rectangle Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX Advance SH AWD
137 Posts
Ask, and you shall receive. :) And unlike the auto-stop-start, it appears to remember the setting after restarts....
View attachment 121936
I'm sorry, I meant to say the LKAS timeout "steering required". A guy in the CR-V forums found a full water bottle fits in the steering wheel as an LKAS counterweight. Unfortunately water bottle won't fit in an MDX steer wheel.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm sorry, I meant to say the LKAS timeout "steering required". A guy in the CR-V forums found a full water bottle fits in the steering wheel as an LKAS counterweight. Unfortunately water bottle won't fit in an MDX steer wheel.
Somehow I don't think that'd be in the owners manual.... :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts