Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. After I had the car in for the recall service for the fuel pump I have had problems with the car stalling or shifting to neutral from drive after the auto stop feature is engaged. This typically happens when the engine tries to restart after having shutoff at the stop. It is difficult to replicate the problem and the dealer can't seem to replicated the problem but it has happened to me probably a dozen times despite not driving much. Typically it happens after a long drive or a lot of around town driving (maybe when the engine is hot?). The dealer does not believe it is related to the fuel pump replacement but that is when it seemed to start happening. Very frustrating as I have been to the dealer 3 times with the problem and they cannot find it. They supposedly also replaced the battery and updated the software in the car but that has not solved it. So, I am reaching out to this group to see if anyone else has had this experience. I am growing concerned because it could be dangerous. The last stall happened and it took a minute or so to get the car running again at a busy and large intersection. Worried about being on an incline. As I stated it doesn't happen all of the time, sometimes there is just a hesitation but the car starts and lurches forward. I have a 2019 with about 25K miles on it and have used primarily for long distance trips and not much around town driving. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
547 Posts
I drive a 2016 ADV CPO with 70K miles on it, no issues with auto idle stop feature when it works. Since I also use it primarily for long drives every couple weeks, it takes some time for the battery to fully charge before auto idle stop feature starts working.
Only suggestion is to capture the issue on video and show it to service advisor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drive a 2016 ADV CPO with 70K miles on it, no issues with auto idle stop feature when it works. Since I also use it primarily for long drives every couple weeks, it takes some time for the battery to fully charge before auto idle stop feature starts working.
Only suggestion is to capture the issue on video and show it to service advisor.
Thanks. I continue to try to capture on video but so far my timing hasn't worked out. Happens when I least expect or forget about it. Will continue to try.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Here's a shot in the dark - maybe in the process of replacing the fuel pump they stirred up enough gunk in the tank to clog up the fuel filter. A clogged fuel filter can exhibit the symptoms you're seeing. It might be worth replacing that filter.

If the problem started right after they replaced the fuel pump then most likely the issue is related to that service. While it may not be the fuel pump itself that's bad (although it could be - there's a small percentage of early failures on everything) there could be an issue with the surrounding work they did when replacing the pump, including something like I said with the fuel filter.

Even if they can't replicate the problem they could at least do some diagnostics such as checking the fuel line pressure and scope the ignition, etc.

Of course, it's possible it's something unrelated to the work they did but basic troubleshooting would say to focus on the activity that was done immediately before the problem arising.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a shot in the dark - maybe in the process of replacing the fuel pump they stirred up enough gunk in the tank to clog up the fuel filter. A clogged fuel filter can exhibit the symptoms you're seeing. It might be worth replacing that filter.

If the problem started right after they replaced the fuel pump then most likely the issue is related to that service. While it may not be the fuel pump itself that's bad (although it could be - there's a small percentage of early failures on everything) there could be an issue with the surrounding work they did when replacing the pump, including something like I said with the fuel filter.

Even if they can't replicate the problem they could at least do some diagnostics such as checking the fuel line pressure and scope the ignition, etc.

Of course, it's possible it's something unrelated to the work they did but basic troubleshooting would say to focus on the activity that was done immediately before the problem arising.
Thank you for your ideas. A couple of other points I forgot to mention. It only happens when using the auto stop feature and when it engages. Also, the stall or shift to neutral does not cause an engine fault that is recorded so there is not a record of it stored. The filter idea is interesting but I would think this would cause problems when starting the car or in normal course driving? I do think it has something to do with that fuel pump service but the dealer does not believe so. I may try a second dealer to see if they have any ideas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. Happened again at the end of a long drive (5hrs). Car shifted to N after going it idle stop upon restart. Happened only once but the issue continues. Unfortunately wasn’t prepared to video.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. After I had the car in for the recall service for the fuel pump I have had problems with the car stalling or shifting to neutral from drive after the auto stop feature is engaged. This typically happens when the engine tries to restart after having shutoff at the stop. It is difficult to replicate the problem and the dealer can't seem to replicated the problem but it has happened to me probably a dozen times despite not driving much. Typically it happens after a long drive or a lot of around town driving (maybe when the engine is hot?). The dealer does not believe it is related to the fuel pump replacement but that is when it seemed to start happening. Very frustrating as I have been to the dealer 3 times with the problem and they cannot find it. They supposedly also replaced the battery and updated the software in the car but that has not solved it. So, I am reaching out to this group to see if anyone else has had this experience. I am growing concerned because it could be dangerous. The last stall happened and it took a minute or so to get the car running again at a busy and large intersection. Worried about being on an incline. As I stated it doesn't happen all of the time, sometimes there is just a hesitation but the car starts and lurches forward. I have a 2019 with about 25K miles on it and have used primarily for long distance trips and not much around town driving. Thanks for the help.
We have a 2019 also. Had the fuel pump recall repair done back in March. My wife started saying that the car was shifting into neutral or something when the engine stop engaged. I assumed she was doing something without realizing it. I usually disengage the engine stop as soon as I get in her car because I don’t like the slight delay of the engine starting before you can go. Tonight we had gone out so I left the engine stop on. We stopped at a red light, the engine turned off as it was supposed to. When the light turned green, the engine came on, but the car would not go, it was like it was in neutral, but the shift indicator showed to be in drive. I pushed the Drive button and the car went. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE & I AM REPORTING IT TO THE NTHSB.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd disable the auto engine stop to see if it does this otherwise. You have a button on the console to do that. Very odd it's putting the transmission in neutral.
Just saw this: Acura MDX, RDX Deceleration, Shift to Neutral, or Stall Class Action (classactionsreporter.com)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd disable the auto engine stop to see if it does this otherwise. You have a button on the console to do that. Very odd it's putting the transmission in neutral.
Just saw this: Acura MDX, RDX Deceleration, Shift to Neutral, or Stall Class Action (classactionsreporter.com)
I usually do disable the engine stop, but my wife never did until this problem started. I had left the engine stop engaged the night I drove the MDX to see if the car would do what my wife said it was doing, and it did. We stopped at a red light, the engine shut off, when the light turned green, I let off brake, the engine restarted, I pressed gas pedal, the car did not move, I pressed brake and pressed Drive, and the car finally accelerated. It was a good thing there was no one behind me or they would have probably ran into us as the light was green and I had let off of the brake so the brake lights would have not been on.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the exact same problem for the past two months I was wondering if I got bad gas or that my oil is down to 30% have you had any luck figuring it out? What I’m most terrified of it won’t start again but it does . It’s happen to me in San Francisco where I was driving lots of city stops and it happen on a hill at a stop light and it happen on a regular drive to the store flat roads only thing is I recently stated doing lots of freeway miles sixty to eighty miles round trip . Any info would help ty.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just curious if you've any luck with this issue. I am having the same or similar issue. It has happened 3 times now, but months apart. There is no code and the dealer cannot replicate it. In all 3 instances, I was stopped at a light and went to start driving again and the engine had shifted into neutral and I could not shift into park or drive. The only option is to throw my hazards on, turn the car all the way off and then back on again. Then it will shift into drive and act like nothing happened. Its very frustrating. The dealer has no idea what to do. They have checked the battery, did some sort of update and aside from that, they are at a loss. They kept it for a full day, driving it around, but I knew it wouldn't do it again. I'm assuming this is an idle stop issue, but I cant say for sure. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got a 19mdx a week ago and having this same issue as well. 18,000 miles on it. Only happening when auto stop/start comes on
Update: Car is in at the dealer for the third time with this issue.
Dealer attempt 1 was to charge the 'low battery'
Dealer attempt 2 was to adjust the exhaust and transmission valves
Dealer attempt 3 is now to replace the fuel pump
Dealer has replicated this issue on multiple occasions themselves. How many more attempts to they need before giving me a replacement vehicle at equal or greater price?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They have not fixed the issue for me either. Took to the dealer three times and they cannot find the issue. I believe it started after they replaced the fuel pump due to a recall. The problem stopped in the winter/cold months but it started happening again in hot weather. Drove to FL and it stalled numerous times when the auto shutoff is engaged. Also would start and stall when restarting. Have to try twice to get it running. Also, the engine has to crank a lot more to get started. Something is definitely wrong so if any has found a solution I would welcome it. 2019 MDX now with 33K miles. Bought new.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just curious if you've any luck with this issue. I am having the same or similar issue. It has happened 3 times now, but months apart. There is no code and the dealer cannot replicate it. In all 3 instances, I was stopped at a light and went to start driving again and the engine had shifted into neutral and I could not shift into park or drive. The only option is to throw my hazards on, turn the car all the way off and then back on again. Then it will shift into drive and act like nothing happened. Its very frustrating. The dealer has no idea what to do. They have checked the battery, did some sort of update and aside from that, they are at a loss. They kept it for a full day, driving it around, but I knew it wouldn't do it again. I'm assuming this is an idle stop issue, but I cant say for sure. Thanks
Not fixed for me (see my other post). Seems to happen in hot weather after longer drives. Has trouble starting as well at times when hot. Took it to dealer 3x and they have no explanation. Iwill bet it is due to the replacement fuel pump they installed after the recall. Very frustrating situation here. Stopped happening over the winter but has now started happening again and I need to take it to the dealer again. Any luck on your end?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Car is in at the dealer for the third time with this issue.
Dealer attempt 1 was to charge the 'low battery'
Dealer attempt 2 was to adjust the exhaust and transmission valves
Dealer attempt 3 is now to replace the fuel pump
Dealer has replicated this issue on multiple occasions themselves. How many more attempts to they need before giving me a replacement vehicle at equal or greater price?
Did the fuel pump replacement fix the issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here. It has happened 2-3 times now. My wife was at a busy intersection today thinking her battery needed to be jumped. Serious safety issue going on here with this problem. I wish we could turn the auto idle stop off permanently.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Same problem here. It has happened 2-3 times now. My wife was at a busy intersection today thinking her battery needed to be jumped. Serious safety issue going on here with this problem. I wish we could turn the auto idle stop off permanently.
Still not fixed with mine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts