Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just have this MDX for over 6 weeks, but seems the fuel average display is off on last few refuels (off by 1.x mpg), so I took down the the numbers for comparison. Did anyone notice about this?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it didn't count the time when you idling the car or stopping at red light?
Not sure if this is case. Most of time, engine is off when idling or stopping (while it runs on Hybrid battery). If I just re-fueled the car and hybrid battery is low, engine kicks in and I could see MPG drops during idling or stopping.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've noticed the same thing of being about 1 mpg higher on the trip computer compared to the old mileage divided my gallons method. I'm about 24.85 mpg by hand calculations compared to around 25-26 mpg avg by Acura trip computer. I use a phone app called Road Trip to track my gas fill ups, road trips, routine maint, and car expenses on all my vehicles. I usually go by those figures compared to the Acura trip computer. I also have it where my Trip A resets at every fill up as a double-check for my mpgs (around 375-425 miles between 14-16 gal fill ups).

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have never heard of a car where the actual mpg matches the calculation in the car. It seems pretty close to me. The car almost always shows higher. You are going to have to live with it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never heard of a car where the actual mpg matches the calculation in the car. It seems pretty close to me. The car almost always shows higher. You are going to have to live with it.
I am not looking for exact matches, but kind of feel it is off too much. On my 02 MDX and 09 TL, MPG is mostly off by 0.1 ~ 0.4 MPG. Never off by this much.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I am not looking for exact matches, but kind of feel it is off too much. On my 02 MDX and 09 TL, MPG is mostly off by 0.1 ~ 0.4 MPG. Never off by this much.
As I said,I have never seen anything that close. Too many variables. When the pump shuts off. Topping off,which you shouldn’t do. Pump shut offs vary. I would say that your other cars were an exception.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I imagine it very hard to calculate mpg with the MDX hybrid with 4 power sources compared to only gas or all electric power systems. The gas engine is powering the front wheels, providing power to electric 1-3 motor(s), and recharging the battery along with the 3 electric motors providing forward power, tq vectoring, and regen braking also. I don't blame the Acura engineers for rounding up for the trip computer.

I'm just happy to be using about the same amount of gas and mpgs in my 19 MDX as my 06 TSX with only 205hp/164tq from 2.4L I-4 5AT.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The thing is only a guess at best. Same for the temp gage, the fuel gage and the speedo. There is always a built in error on every gage in a car. Makes no difference how expensive or cheap the car is. I use the readings as a gage only. I use a smarp phone app to track the actual fuel milage, so who cares?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
When I did my first coast to coast trip in my 2014 MDX (non-hybrid) out of curiosity I paid attention to the mileage by hand calculating it based on the pump and odometer and comparing to the trip meter. The trip meter indicated about 1-2 mpg better than my hand calc, which is what I expected I'd end up with. After that point I haven't paid any attention to the mileage since it has no bearing on my usage of the vehicle one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I am just curious to find out if anyone else is experience the same, especially my other Acuras' MPG are kind of closed to computer average. One of the factors to buying this car is its MPG listing. As long as I am archiving it (27MPG combined), I am happy with it.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The thing is only a guess at best. Same for the temp gage, the fuel gage and the speedo. There is always a built in error on every gage in a car. Makes no difference how expensive or cheap the car is. I use the readings as a gage only. I use a smarp phone app to track the actual fuel milage, so who cares?
I agree with you. By the way gage is not spelled that way. It is gauge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts