Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I have a brand new (2 months old) 2019 MDX -- yesterday I discovered that the front passenger floor was completely flooded -- the carpet was completely soaked through and the floor mat was dripping wet.

Any idea what could have caused this? The sunroof was not left open, and other areas inside the car were not wet.

Also, I swear that I can hear water sloshing around under the floor when I make a hard left, buy maybe that's some other fluid tank in the car making a sound.

Taking the car to the dealer to have them look at it on Monday.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Was it out in the rain or at a car wash such that the water came from outside?

Do you notice an anti-freeze smell to it that could indicate a problem with the heater core or hoses to it? Have you checked the radiator level?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Possible clogged windshield drain. (Happened to my other car before)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was it out in the rain or at a car wash such that the water came from outside?

Do you notice an anti-freeze smell to it that could indicate a problem with the heater core or hoses to it? Have you checked the radiator level?
It's definitely water, not anything chemical. We've had rain this week and the car is parked outside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took another drive with the radio off and it definitely sounds like water moving under the floor of the passenger seat when I make a hard left turn. Sounds like water in a bathtub. I wonder if there is some enclosed area under the floor that is filled with water.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Where does the windshield normally drain out?
Not sure on MDX. My other car is 2004 Honda Accord, we took it to the shop and they cleared the clog.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Could it be a clogged drain hose for the A/C?

·
Registered
432 Posts
There is a frame serial number access plastic piece in the passangers floor. Lift the floor mat. It is missing? Still more likely door seal or windshield seal failure.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Since it's a new MDX take it back to the dealer and have them check it out under warranty. One should obviously be able to leave a vehicle outside in the rain without it entering the vehicle. Is it possible a window was left open? If you're certain that's not the case then there's likely a seal issue around the door or sunroof or elsewhere in which case Acura s/b responsible for fixing it and correcting any damage as well. You don't want to end up with mold under the carpet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I'm definitely taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. The window wasn't left open in the rain. About that rushing water noise under the car...is there a tank of some kind under the passenger seat? I'm worried if there is some enclosed area under the floor that is filled with water?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The only thing I've heard sloshing is the fuel tank - only when it's full and when I stop while parking and that's just occasionally. It's hard to imagine you have so much water that it'd be sloshing and even then, I don't know where it'd accumulate such that it'd slosh - that wouldn't happen on a carpet. Is it possibly coming from the dash area - maybe in the glove box area?

Maybe you have both the gas tank slosh 'and' the wet carpet so you're tying them both together when they're not really tied.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The sloshing sound sounds like it's coming from under the passenger seat or somewhere in that direction -- dash area / glovebox seems to be dry. It's definitely not the carpet or padding itself.

The fuel tank is somewhere towards the back driver's side of the car I presume? Is it possible that water somehow got into the frame of the car maybe? (sounds crazy I know)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm worried that long term any water left in the car will cause corrosion and mildew. We're heading into fall so we won't have the summer heat to help dry things out.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The fuel sloshing is from the take which is to the rear.

From your description it sounds like there's a good chance that either there's a door/window seal issue. Hopefully the dealership will find it.

If you wanted to check it further on your own take a piece of paper and close the passenger door on it in multiple locations around the door frame and use it by pulling on it to see if there's a gap where water can come in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hope this isn't a common problem on the MDX. I've owned two other Honda vehicles (Pilot and Civic) that have been plagued with this issue.

·
Registered
712 Posts
had bad seam seals in a CJ7 once. When the sunroof was cracked open, and the streets wet, the negative pressure would pull water in at the seams. Had to pull all the carpets out and caulk all the seams. Cathy had a Tiburon that had a bad seal at a wheel well that let water in. My Legend had a plugged sunroof drain that let water build up like a pool in the back. Since the car is new let the dealer fix it. Most states have lemon laws. Keep track of how often it is in and for how long. If there is the smell of mildew let the dealer solve that too. (Hint, Lysol spray is the only thing that knocked it down in the CJ7). My guess is if the carpets are soaked then I see new carpets courtesy of Acura in your life.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts