Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2019 Acura MDX wireless CarPlay

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  marjenmiller 
#1 ·
Has anyone actually heard anything about 2019 MDX receiving an OTA update to enable wireless CarPlay?

I saw something in a Facebook group but wanted to see if anyone actually knows if it is coming.

But one of my friends told me that for the folks saying it’s a hardware thing, that is not the case. The infotainment system in the ‘19-‘21 MDX has all the hardware necessary to support wireless CarPlay, namely Bluetooth (for initial connection setup) and 5GHz WiFi (for the actual CarPlay connection). The infotainment system has both of those.
It really could be rolled out as part of an OTA update, but he doubts Acura will do so. It was the same situation with the ‘18-‘20 Accord - the infotainment systems in those cars had the hardware for wireless CarPlay, and Honda even sent out surveys gauging the interest of a paid upgrade for wireless CarPlay in those vehicles, but nothing ever came of it.

I have also done research on the wireless adapter -Cplay2air and Carlinkit 3.0.
Carplay2Air is identical hardware to Carlinkit 3.0 original version. They run the same firmware also and perform the same. This version has a hardwired USB connector.
CarLinikIt 3.0 is a new version that is similar in hardware but has a USB-C connector on the box and you plug a (removable) USB-C cable into it. It can run the same firmware, and it is not currently known if it is "better" hardware with some saying it boots quicker. It appears to be more difficult to change the firmware version in it and it is possible to brick it trying.

I am about to go looking to buy one, but not sure which is best. Probably the later USB-C version just in case it boots quicker.

See less See more
#2 ·
Has anyone actually heard anything about 2019 MDX receiving an OTA update to enable wireless CarPlay?

I saw something in a Facebook group but wanted to see if anyone actually knows if it is coming.

But one of my friends told me that for the folks saying it’s a hardware thing, that is not the case. The infotainment system in the ‘19-‘21 MDX has all the hardware necessary to support wireless CarPlay, namely Bluetooth (for initial connection setup) and 5GHz WiFi (for the actual CarPlay connection). The infotainment system has both of those.
It really could be rolled out as part of an OTA update, but he doubts Acura will do so. It was the same situation with the ‘18-‘20 Accord - the infotainment systems in those cars had the hardware for wireless CarPlay, and Honda even sent out surveys gauging the interest of a paid upgrade for wireless CarPlay in those vehicles, but nothing ever came of it.

Carplay2Air is identical hardware to Carlinkit 3.0 original version. They run the same firmware also and perform the same. This version has a hardwired USB connector.
CarLinikIt 3.0 is a new version that is similar in hardware but has a USB-C connector on the box and you plug a (removable) USB-C cable into it. It can run the same firmware, and it is not currently known if it is "better" hardware with some saying it boots quicker. It appears to be more difficult to change the firmware version in it and it is possible to brick it trying.

I am about to go looking to buy one, but not sure which is best. Probably the later USB-C version just in case it boots quicker.
I have the carlinkit 3.0 one and for the most part it works fine. There are times that it crashes where the screen will be black or while you're at a stop light and you use your phone, the music stops until you exit whatever you're looking at. There is a YouTube video about someone comparing it to the Ottocast and they said the Ottocast is slightly faster. They sell both on Amazon so if it doesn't work out for you, you can return it. You should get the Ottocast and report back. I didn't see the video until after I already received the Carlinkit 3.0

#4 ·
Sounds like a good idea but has mixed reviews on Amazon. I have contacted the official website and it told me: In order to provide the best installation suggestions and after-sales service for your car, It is recommended that you choose to buy from carlinkitcarplay.com first. All products sold have been tested and provide an after-sales guarantee. We will give priority to providing one-to-one service for customers who place orders on our site. For products purchased on other websites, we will not be able to guarantee product quality and after-sales service. I am not sure if it will be a difference between buying it from the website and Amazon. I didn't hear Ottocast before. But thanks for advising.

#3 ·

The 3rd gen MDX is not capable of OTA updates.

#5 ·

I always hated having to plug and unplug my phone to my car. It was a pain in you know what. So, it still works well and is recommended?

#7 ·
Do these wireless adapters default to BT music every time the phone connects, like I've heard some do? I would love to have a wireless adapter but I mostly listen to XM, and having to switch the audio source every time I get into the car might be quite annoying.

#8 ·
In the case of the CarlinKit unit, it does default to BT each time. That's one of the reasons I'd only use it if I were on a trip and wanted waze thru CarPlay wirelessly. I, too, listen to xm and rarely use CarPlay unless I'm traveling, and found that the default to BT each startup as akin to the auto stop/start being the default startup mode. :) It was annoying to me so I don't use the CarlinKit daily.

#11 ·
Yup! I've seen allot of posts about the carplay adapter and many other similar products that allow you to add a fully functional Android UI on our vehicle via Apple Car Play integration. I've also seen allot of people on here completely roast others for spending the money on one of these without really understanding why someone would spend the money instead of just using your phone or a tablet.

#12 ·
Good afternoon everyone. Thought I would tag onto this thread. Having an issue with the USB port in my 2019 MDX with Tech. Sometimes the port works, sometimes it doesn't? Have tried at least 6 cables, all the same result, sometimes it will work, sometimes not. Recently purchased an Ottercast 3.0. Plugged it in, paired it and worked like a charm. Made a stop for about 30 min and no longer works? Keeps telling me "unable to charge, check cable"? Tried 2 other cables, same notification. I'm thinking software issue but any feedback would be appreciated.

#13 ·
Paperboy, If you're using an iPhone, get an Apple certified cable, other cables may not work right from what I found. Since you have a 2019, it should be covered under warranty by the dealer if the plug is an issue.

Dam, some people need to go back to school..."allot"... really? It's 2 words "a lot"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.