Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone priced these at the dealership? When we bought our MDX the spec sheet had just the hitch at $700 and something. That would include them installing it, not sure if that included the wiring harness or not. Figured that was overpriced and seems to be true considering the eBay links I've found from Curry Acura in New York. I knew I could save a ton if I went aftermarket but after looking at everything out there I really like the way the factory one is integrated into the lower trim piece. For $500 I will install it myself and pocket the other $200!

Non Hybrid & non Aspec model - 08L92-TZ5-2A0 (eBay price is $328.75 shipped)
Non Hybrid Wire Harness - 08L91-TZ5-200A (eBay price is $149.00 shipped)

Anyone found them cheaper? And am I missing anything on parts/part numbers?

I got my splash guards from this place on eBay so I've had good results from them.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I purchased the Hitch + Harness from my local dealer. They had it in stock, so it was an easy transaction. I did the install myself -- also super easy.

I paid:
$279.45 - Hitch - 08L92-TZ5-2A0
$142.00 - Harness - 08L91-TZ5-200A

Keep in mind that these parts will only give you a 3,500 lbs tow rating.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased the Hitch + Harness from my local dealer. They had it in stock, so it was an easy transaction. I did the install myself -- also super easy.

I paid:
$279.45 - Hitch - 08L92-TZ5-2A0
$142.00 - Harness - 08L91-TZ5-200A

Keep in mind that these parts will only give you a 3,500 lbs tow rating.
Wow, that's an even better deal! I'll have to drive out to my dealership and see if they are close to that price. Install does look super easy. And the only thing I'll be towing is a little utility trailer with some pine needles on it twice a year and little junk like that. No chance of getting anywhere near the tow limit. I sold my diesel and car hauler recently since we decided to downsize. Now I'll be "that guy", the one that was always calling me for help if I need something heavy hauled...lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
Been buying my stuff from Curry hitch install takes maybe two hours. Besides basic hand tools you will need a 18MM socket and a torque wrench. On top of that a tube of red lock tite would be good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just called my local place, they quoted me 290 for the hitch and 200 for the harness. That's higher than Curry on eBay. Guess I'll just eBay it and not waste the gas, thanks all!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would stick with OEM accessories for your MDX.

Always amazed that local dealers won't match online prices from other dealers. I know they all pay the same for the parts from the manufacturer, so it isn't as though they are losing $. I have bought literally thousands of dollars of Honda and Acura parts and accessories online for cheaper than my local dealers because they ALL refuse to match prices. So instead of making a little $ and having a happy customer (who will likely recommend them to others) they make nothing off of me. Smart.

This is the list of accessories for our new MDX. Prices listed first are what I paid online, prices in () are the MSRP that my local dealers wouldn't come off of.
Black Wheels - $1,380 ($2,000)
Heated Steering Wheel - $342 ($500)
Trailer Hitch - $283.86 ($405)
Trailer Harness - $135.70 ($200)
Roof Rails - $396 ($560)
Crossbars - $172.50 ($250)

I saved a little over $1,100 buying online, and shipping was free or nominal.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I just called my local place, they quoted me 290 for the hitch and 200 for the harness. That's higher than Curry on eBay. Guess I'll just eBay it and not waste the gas, thanks all!
Call them back again and explain how you would rather give them the money rather than buy it online supporting another dealer. Unless it’s very far away I’d try to make them lose the business because it is theirs to lose.

I get all my fluids and parts cheaper at my local Acura than what I could find online these days.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Always amazed that local dealers won't match online prices from other dealers. I know they all pay the same for the parts from the manufacturer, so it isn't as though they are losing $. I have bought literally thousands of dollars of Honda and Acura parts and accessories online for cheaper than my local dealers because they ALL refuse to match prices. So instead of making a little $ and having a happy customer (who will likely recommend them to others) they make nothing off of me. Smart.

This is the list of accessories for our new MDX. Prices listed first are what I paid online, prices in () are the MSRP that my local dealers wouldn't come off of.
Roof Rails - $396 ($560)

I wish I would have just taken our MDX as is and added the trunk lip protector, cross bars, folding cargo mat, all weather floor mats, and cargo cover myself. I would have saved a ton! I probably would have let them put on the door guards even though it can't be that hard... I'll be a little more proactive next time! I was still in shock that wheel locks weren't included on a 60K car, same lug nuts as my old 2010 Pilot so I stole the wheel locks off it. May steal the spare tire off it too...lol That was the other thing that shocked me for the model I got. But I've only changed 1 spare out in the last 20 years so probably not ever going to be used anyway. I haven't used the one of the Pilot. And the only time I did use a spare, my donut was very low but I drove that puppy (slowly) 5 miles to the first gas station to get some! Got me out of rush hour traffic. Checked all vehicles at home and they were both a little low too. Now I have it on my list to check yearly just in case.

And yes, I want to stick to OEM for most things. Well I really can't thing of anything else to get for it besides having the front windows tinted to match the back. That's pretty much covers everything and the wife is super happy! Trailer hitch is for me so when I do get rid of the pilot for me a car "que up mid life crisis mobile" I will have something to go get lawn mower gas and pine needles (mulch).

Call them back again and explain how you would rather give them the money rather than buy it online supporting another dealer. Unless it’s very far away I’d try to make them lose the business because it is theirs to lose.

I get all my fluids and parts cheaper at my local Acura than what I could find online these days.
Already eBayed, it's not that far to my local Acura but it's in an inconvenient part of town that I'm rarely by. And Curry prints the directions off and stuffs them in the box too so they are top notch! Not like I need to install it anytime soon, I still haven't bought me a utility trailer after selling my car hauler. Can't decide on the size to get; small 5x8 or 7x14. Going all aluminum this time so it'll be super light to move around when I need to make room in my spare garage area for a project. That and I'm still trying to see if prices will fall a little farther on a 2016 BMW M3. Mid to low 40s is my goal and they are upper 40s to low 50s now. Don't want to finance this purchase and I'm cheap! LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
We want a trailer hitch so we can mount a 4 Bike Rack.
We do not plan to do any towing.

From what I have understood the OEM hitch requires the trim piece to be replaced.

This is a lease so I want an install where I can remove the hitch when we return the vehicle.

I think an aftermarket hitch would be the best option, right?

Any recommendations? We would like one which would allow the OEM spare tire to be removable.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would definitely consider an aftermarket hitch and install it yourself if only for bikes or a utility trailer use. Reese are good kits and they also do bike racks! :) As long as you go with a reputable manufacturer you should be fine. Biggest concern is if you have a full size spare, which you most likley do not. Lots of MDX specific class 3 hitches on ebay and parts houses which will be overkill for your needs prices $107.00 - 157.00 with everything you need.

https://www.autoanything.com/towing/trailer-hitches-reviews.aspx

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are correct, the OEM hitch has a new black plastic piece that replaces the lower most painted section of plastic. I do not have an all wheel drive model so I don't have a spare tire (yet). I do have the painted plastic piece saved in a storage area in case it is ever needed.

And the heaviest thing I'll probably tow is a small utility trailer with pin needles on it (I use them as mulch). Maybe a load of top soil on said utility trailer. Nothing that requires an electric brake controller, which I got the tires for included in the kit. I just threw the instructions and the wires in the rear storage area just in case. Figure if we ever sell this thing down the road the new owner may be interested in it...

·
Registered
713 Posts
We want a trailer hitch so we can mount a 4 Bike Rack.
We do not plan to do any towing.

From what I have understood the OEM hitch requires the trim piece to be replaced.

This is a lease so I want an install where I can remove the hitch when we return the vehicle.

I think an aftermarket hitch would be the best option, right?

Any recommendations? We would like one which would allow the OEM spare tire to be removable.

If the aesthetics don't both you go aftermarket. But beware - one fellow here recently went thru hell and back when the hitch was twisted so it could not be used for a bicycle, and bolts locked in place trying to take it off - creating a nightmare situation for him where possibly the floor of the car has to be cut to remove the hitch now. Whatever you buy, do it locally if you can so if there is a problem you can take it back without having to pay double shipping on a very heavy and bulky item.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I personally have the Curt hitch with the 2" receiver, and don't mind the aesthetics of it at all. Definitely sits just below the bumper and doesn't require any removal of bumper pieces/trim. It's an easy 6-bolt install. The key will be to make sure the holes in the frame are clear of any debris, and hand screw the bolts in (with out the hitch) to each hole first to make sure they're cleanly turning. For me all 6 went in easily and torqued down (with a torque wrench) to the proper levels without issue.

Good luck - andy

PS - I got mine from Autoanything.com with a really good discount coupon that brought the price down to about a hundred bucks including shipping - which was a great deal. So keep an eye out for discounts to help out price-wise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Trailer Hitch

Hello MDXERS,

I am thinking of installing a trailer hitch - not much towing - but more to take some bikes when camping.
I called my Acura dealership and was quoted $729.93 + taxes (Canadian) (complete - hitch, molding, harness, wiring, etc.). For Installation, maybe I didn't hear right, but I asked twice and was quote $897 CDN for installation.

Now, I am capable of the installation. However, I still find $730 to be a bit too much for the hitch. I don't want to go aftermarket - as I like the fit and finish of the OEM (aesthetics).
Has anyone found a better price in Canada at any other Acura dealerships?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts

Roof Rails - $396 ($560)

There is more involved then just the cost of parts. There is a lot of overhead. Like employees,insurance,etc. I don’t expect a local dealer to be able to match an online price most of the time. Besides,I’d rather support a neighbor than someone in Arizona. I know that I am in the minority,but I don’t care.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Factory hitch is the way to go. Clean, nearly hidden when hitch head is removed. All aftermarket hitches sit below the rear facia and look, well its up to you. If you buy the factory assembly it comes with everything including the stinger. All you need is a ball. Takes about three hours to install. The insteuctions are as clear as can be made. The only thing you really need is a 17mm I believe socket to torque the hitch bolts. Nice also to have a second set of hands to hold the hitch up until you get a couple of bolts started.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Factory hitch is the way to go. Clean, nearly hidden when hitch head is removed. All aftermarket hitches sit below the rear facia and look, well its up to you. If you buy the factory assembly it comes with everything including the stinger. All you need is a ball. Takes about three hours to install. The insteuctions are as clear as can be made. The only thing you really need is a 17mm I believe socket to torque the hitch bolts. Nice also to have a second set of hands to hold the hitch up until you get a couple of bolts started.

I didn't have anyone to help out so I used jack stands to hold the hitch in place when I installed mine. Worked out fine. Even made a video on it so others can see how to do the install solo.

Hitch Install Video

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trailer Hitch

Hello MDXERS,

I am thinking of installing a trailer hitch - not much towing - but more to take some bikes when camping.
I called my Acura dealership and was quoted $729.93 + taxes (Canadian) (complete - hitch, molding, harness, wiring, etc.). For Installation, maybe I didn't hear right, but I asked twice and was quote $897 CDN for installation.

Now, I am capable of the installation. However, I still find $730 to be a bit too much for the hitch. I don't want to go aftermarket - as I like the fit and finish of the OEM (aesthetics).
Has anyone found a better price in Canada at any other Acura dealerships?

Thanks.
Hey curious if you ever found a cheaper option? I'm getting quoted $1400 here in AB.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you don't mind aftermarket, try UHaul website. In Calgary, it works out to be just under $200 for 6000 lb rated Curt hitch, life time warranty for $5, and installation and tax. At this price point, it's no brainer to have someone install it for you without risking any installation issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts