Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone had an idea of how to get Waze & CarPlay to work better together.

I have Waze set to come out of the iPhone speaker as a default but when connected via USB/Lightning to Car Play, the Waze sound often and randomly will cause the radio mode to switch from Sirius (what I generally am listening to when not listening to podcasts) to CarPlay and the Waze directions/alerts come over the stereo system speakers rather than the iPhone's. This doesn't happen all the time, it seems random and is obviously quite annoying.

I would like Waze to just come out of the iPhone and have no effect on what is being played on the car speakers. Any thought?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Waze is not compatible with CarPlay. This is a known issue between Google (Waze) and Apple (CarPlay).

Acura, unfortunately, has no way to control or fix this.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
If you already have sound to play over phone speaker in the Waze audio menu, then it's just a bug that we have no idea how to fix. If you don't have that option on, then you'll need to use that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I am well aware of Apple's current refusal to allow Waze into CarPlay and this wasn't what I was asking about.
Why are you plugged into CarPlay if you’re not using it? Use the USB ports on the left in the center console if you just want to charge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am well aware of Apple's current refusal to allow Waze into CarPlay and this wasn't what I was asking about.
Why are you plugged into CarPlay if you’re not using it? Use the USB ports on the left in the center console if you just want to charge.
Did I say that I don’t use CarPlay? I am also aware of the USB & Power ports in the car, they’re next to the port I use to connect to CarPlay.

Again, I am asking about a bug, of sorts, that sometimes causes Waze to act as I wish and other times it doesn’t.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd file a bug with Waze and see if they get back to you. CarPlay isn't the issue per se, but rather that Waze audio is switching at random from the iPhone speaker to the USB audio (in this case the car).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd file a bug with Waze and see if they get back to you. CarPlay isn't the issue per se, but rather that Waze audio is switching at random from the iPhone speaker to the USB audio (in this case the car).
I considered that and probably still will do it but was hoping other MDX owners had a fix.

I assume Waze will pass the buck to Acura & Apple and similarly Apple will pass the buck to Waze & Acura.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Did I say that I don’t use CarPlay? I am also aware of the USB & Power ports in the car, they’re next to the port I use to connect to CarPlay.
Actually, yes, you did:

I have Waze set to come out of the iPhone speaker as a default but when connected via USB/Lightning to Car Play, the Waze sound often and randomly will cause the radio mode to switch from Sirius (what I generally am listening to when not listening to podcasts) to CarPlay and the Waze directions/alerts come over the stereo system speakers rather than the iPhone's.
I am also aware of the USB & Power ports in the car, they’re next to the port I use to connect to CarPlay.
You seem angry. Take a deep breath. We're just trying to help you.

My point was that using the appropriate port, based on whether you just need to charge vs. need CarPlay, will provide a workaround that solves your issue, until Waze/Apple get their act together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, yes, you did:

I have Waze set to come out of the iPhone speaker as a default but when connected via USB/Lightning to Car Play, the Waze sound often and randomly will cause the radio mode to switch from Sirius (what I generally am listening to when not listening to podcasts) to CarPlay and the Waze directions/alerts come over the stereo system speakers rather than the iPhone's.
I am also aware of the USB & Power ports in the car, they’re next to the port I use to connect to CarPlay.
You seem angry. Take a deep breath. We're just trying to help you.

My point was that using the appropriate port, based on whether you just need to charge vs. need CarPlay, will provide a workaround that solves your issue, until Waze/Apple get their act together.
I said “generally”, doesn’t mean exclusively. I also said I listen to podcasts. Car play comes in handy for calling and texting, which is also unrelated to the issue I am expeeiencing. I mentioned my specific issue and obviously if I didn’t need CarPlay, I wouldn’t have gone through the numerous steps to enable it in my MDX.

Being spoken to in a condescending manner while someone didn’t read what I posted tends to piss me off.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Being spoken to in a condescending manner while someone didn’t read what I posted tends to piss me off.
Being rude to, and insulting people who are trying to help you probably pisses them off, too. :x

FWIW, I did read your post, and made my suggestion with full knowledge and understanding. Nothing you said invalidates the workaround I suggested. When you're not listening to podcasts, don't use the CarPlay USB port. Simple.

Reactions: punprankster

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You gave me advice? All you did was the equivalent of the old dumb joke “I told the doctor it hurts when I move my arm like this. His advice to me was don’t move your arm like that.”

If CarPlay isn’t working the way you expect, don’t use it.

Had I asked why Waze wasn’t showing up on CarPlay screen, telling me Waze wasn’t compatible w CarPlay would have been pertinent.

Telling me there are other ports literally right next to the port I’m using was completely condescending.

Being rude to, and insulting people who are trying to help you probably pisses them off, too.

FWIW, I did read your post, and made my suggestion with full knowledge and understanding. Nothing you said invalidates the workaround I suggested. When you're not listening to podcasts, don't use the CarPlay USB port. Simple.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Being rude to, and insulting people who are trying to help you probably pisses them off, too. :x

Well said, OP needs to chill, there are nice folks here and we will try to help..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Was wondering if anyone had an idea of how to get Waze & CarPlay to work better together.

I have Waze set to come out of the iPhone speaker as a default but when connected via USB/Lightning to Car Play, the Waze sound often and randomly will cause the radio mode to switch from Sirius (what I generally am listening to when not listening to podcasts) to CarPlay and the Waze directions/alerts come over the stereo system speakers rather than the iPhone's. This doesn't happen all the time, it seems random and is obviously quite annoying.

I would like Waze to just come out of the iPhone and have no effect on what is being played on the car speakers. Any thought?
Hiya Corey!

Seems like you are getting a bunch of tech overlap. Let's see if we can work through it.

First, if you plug the iPhone into the USB port(s) that activate CarPlay, CarPlay takes over and Waze won't work with CarPlay. (That's why you got the previous advice to use the USB to use the port next to the one you were using. Take a quick look at the manual - some ports are CarPlay active and some are not)

Second, a) if you aren't plugged into USB CarPlay-active ports, but ARE connected to the car via Bluetooth, your choice for anything coming out of the phone will be to use 1) the phone speaker or 2) the car speaker. With either choice, the iPhone will trump the car speakers and play whatever the iPhone is transmitting.

In either 1) or 2) above, the car speakers and the iPhone speakers will not be active at the same time.

I believe the only way you can listen to the car speakers and whatever they are playing AND have Waze come out of the phone is to a) disconnect from Bluetooth and b) don't connect the iPhone via CarPlay-active USB ports to the car.

This last choice is what I do all day in my 2104 MDX and I get both iPhone speaker capability without interrupting the car speakers. Although it does get confusing with input from two sources at the same time. Using a non-CarPlay active port and disconnecting from Bluetooth solves the problem and lets you charge the iPhone.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well said, OP needs to chill, there are nice folks here and we will try to help..
There are nice folks here, and usually I'm one, but in this case the OP seems like a dick.

I've already preemptively added to my ignore list because I can tell from the 'tone' of his other responses that his ensuing response to this post won't be worth reading.

·
Registered
17 Posts
coreyntc. Stand your ground. Some like to chime in and give their option whether relevant or not. I can't help because I use android and it works flawlessly with WAZE.

·
Registered
36 Posts
coreyntc. Stand your ground. Some like to chime in and give their option whether relevant or not. I can't help because I use android and it works flawlessly with WAZE.
Interesting and disappointing quote. I have never understood the need to fill forums with testosterone. Corey doesn't need to "stand his ground"; this isn't a pitched battle to defend home and family. He is just asking for some help with technology and things got a bit heated. Shouldn't be a problem. :D

By way of explanation, Waze is tied to/associated with Google Maps. As such, Apple views them as undesirable for inclusion in CarPlay. Said another way, Google Maps and/or Waze are no going to function with CarPlay. To use them on an iPhone, the iPhone must be independent of CarPlay. Either of the apps will work independently on the iPhone - they just won't get to the CarPlay infotainment system. SO you can see why telling him to stand his ground mazes absolutely no sense - the technology simple won't allow Waze or Google Maps to show up on CarPlay and most certainly not in the manner he wants to use it.

On the other hand, of course, Waze (and Google Maps) work with an Android phone. Google INVENTED AND OWNS the Android operating system and they are Google Apps. This is why Waze works flawlessly on your Android (non-Apple) phone. On the other hand, connect to Android Auto and try bring up Apple Maps. Same issue in reverse. Apple Maps isn't going to get there because Google freezes Apple out.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oops - I stand corrected. And in re-reading my post, I realized that the caps, which I simply intended for emphasis, might come across as shouting which wasn't my intention. Sorry on both counts.

The key here is to try and get the OP's problem resolved and, hopefully, that's been accomplished.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.