Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have a 2018, can you please comment on the transmission. I heard they have tweaked it and it is much smoother than previous years. I'm contemplating between this or the hybrid model.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The best way would to take multiple long test drives in both models. I shopped for 3 months and visited 5 dealers of which only 2 also had the Hybrid. If you can test them both on the same day you will clearly see and feel the difference. I think you get a lot more performance and ride quality than the $1500 add for the Hybrid.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
The best way would to take multiple long test drives in both models. I shopped for 3 months and visited 5 dealers of which only 2 also had the Hybrid. If you can test them both on the same day you will clearly see and feel the difference. I think you get a lot more performance and ride quality than the $1500 add for the Hybrid.
I agree. Apparently it must be cheaper to add electric motors then add a rear differential. That can only explain the small difference in price. It’s sportier,quicker off the line,better city mpg and lower maintenance. I suspect there may even be better resale value. The lower body panels are body color. It was a no brainer once we chose the advance.
If you think about it. AWD itself is $2,000. $1,500 for AWD and everything else. Great

·
Registered
869 Posts
Apparently it must be cheaper to add electric motors then add a rear differential. That can only explain the small difference in price.
I think they recovered some cost by omitting direct injection on the engine. But it's not just rear diff for the "conventional" SH-AWD: front transfer case and driveshaft as well. It all adds up.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I think they recovered some cost by omitting direct injection on the engine. But it's not just rear diff for the "conventional" SH-AWD: front transfer case and driveshaft as well. It all adds up.
It’s still a deal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just picked up my 2018 tonight after driving a 2017 for a month. I think the 2018 transmission programming is vastly improved. I found the 2017 annoying and sometimes jerky. General driving is way better in the 2018, but I've only driven 25 miles so far, although the difference was immediately noticeable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i got the 2018 SH-AWD tech two weeks ago....take off is hit or miss. Sometimes it's too abrupt. If i baby the gas, take off is too slow. Gears 1-2-3 could be better. Aside from that, the vehicle is great! I put 700 miles on it the past 2 weeks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Love my 2018 Adv Hybrid

I really like my step up from a 2014 MDX Adv to my new red 2018 Adv Hybrid. The intown MPG went from 17/18 to 24/25. Still getting used to the clunk and 1 second delay from a start, but I like many new features. I am waiting for a few more miles on it to play with the Spot + mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i got the 2018 SH-AWD tech two weeks ago....take off is hit or miss. Sometimes it's too abrupt. If i baby the gas, take off is too slow. Gears 1-2-3 could be better. Aside from that, the vehicle is great! I put 700 miles on it the past 2 weeks.
I have exactly same problem, except it is almost everytime. I am going to the dealership to get it checked.
Everytime I am at a signal or at a stop and and I take off it is a struggle to get to speed. Please post your experience if you show it to the dealer as well. Not happy with my MDX because of this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 AWD jerks so hard I feel like someone hit me from behind. Dealer says its normal. I dont like it and its uncomfortable for a 50k plus car.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My 2018 AWD jerks so hard I feel like someone hit me from behind. Dealer says its normal. I dont like it and its uncomfortable for a 50k plus car.
My 15 is doing the same thing when shifting from 1st to 2nd, but only in traffic, it's like when you can only keep on feet on the gas pedal for 2 seconds, then you have to step on the brake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts