Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Im new to this forum but not new to the Acura Family. I actually worked for an Acura dealer in sales and finance but that was about 15 years ago.

I bought a 2018 MDX last year...it’s about 15 months old. I’m a big fan of Acura and never had an issue with any of the vehicles I have purchased until this one. It’s currently at the dealer now being checked out because I believe it is having transmission issues. For about a month now, the vehicle feels like it is jumping when shifting gears...definitely not a smooth shift from gear to gear. They put me in a 2019 MDX loaner and since I’ve been driving the 2019 I’ve noticed how much of an issue I have with my 2018. Problem is, of course, the dealer called and they can’t replicate the problem.

Anyone else experiencing this issue with their 2018 MDX or know of any known issue?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 AWD jerks so hard I feel like someone hit me from behind. Dealer says its normal. I dont like it and its uncomfortable for a 50k plus car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All!

Im new to this forum but not new to the Acura Family. I actually worked for an Acura dealer in sales and finance but that was about 15 years ago.

I bought a 2018 MDX last year...it’s about 15 months old. I’m a big fan of Acura and never had an issue with any of the vehicles I have purchased until this one. It’s currently at the dealer now being checked out because I believe it is having transmission issues. For about a month now, the vehicle feels like it is jumping when shifting gears...definitely not a smooth shift from gear to gear. They put me in a 2019 MDX loaner and since I’ve been driving the 2019 I’ve noticed how much of an issue I have with my 2018. Problem is, of course, the dealer called and they can’t replicate the problem.

Anyone else experiencing this issue with their 2018 MDX or know of any known issue?

Thanks in advance!
I am having the same issue with my 2017 MDX. The dealership is stating nothing wrong. I also drive a 2019 and it drove like a dream compared to my 2017. I’ll be trading mine in before the warranty is up and never get another ACURA

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2017 MDX. The dealership is stating nothing wrong. I also drive a 2019 and it drove like a dream compared to my 2017. I’ll be trading mine in before the warranty is up and never get another ACURA
That explains why so few in my area (south of Cleveland, OH).. that is what I have suspected hearing about many years now different transmission problems across MDX iterations... to bad as I like car otherwise, but issue is on to serious element to melt my money into it - am researching for SUV next yeas, aiming for 2018 model.. I was hoping MDX Hybrid would be nice.. but... thx for sharing!

·
Registered
6 Posts
That explains why so few in my area (south of Cleveland, OH).. that is what I have suspected hearing about many years now different transmission problems across MDX iterations... to bad as I like car otherwise, but issue is on to serious element to melt my money into it - am researching for SUV next yeas, aiming for 2018 model.. I was hoping MDX Hybrid would be nice.. but... thx for sharing!
Just a recommendation they changed the transmission in 2019 if you planned on getting a new MDX I would get 2019-2020

·
Registered
7 Posts
Than I'd have to wait until 2022.... sorry Acura I'm done with leaving full amount for product that once you leave dealer loses value instantly..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Than I'd have to wait until 2022.... sorry Acura I'm done with leaving full amount for product that once you leave dealer loses value instantly.. even though it is to soon to tell if 2019 change fully resolved their transmission problems...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All!

Thanks in advance!
I have a 2018 MDX with around 43k miles. I just purchased this car, and am extremely let down by the way it drives. The transmission is jerky, there is significant hesitation when accelerating from stop (and when it finally goes, it jerks you forward.) I was sitting at a stoplight yesterday and 3 warnings started flashing: emissions, parking brake, and SH-AWD. I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed it with a bad evap purge solenoid valve. They claim replacing this will solve ALL of the above problems. I hope they are right because I am disgusted with this purchase. I was also given a 2019 MDX A-SPEC loaner and immediately noticed how much smoother the transmission was, and also the absence of hesitation when accelerating. (I had been trying to convince myself that maybe I just needed to get used to driving a different car and it wasn’t as bad as I thought. But driving the 2019 confirmed that the ‘18 is a POS.) I hope this helps! I will update once the valve has been replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a recommendation they changed the transmission in 2019 if you planned
2019 is risky as there is no history... I have changed my mind and going most likely either with brand new 2021 Sienna Hybrid (top line) or 2019, all depends what 2021 will have to offer. Nothing trully can replace miniVan for it's family orientation - space, space, and one more time space inside of car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same problem with my 18 MDX. Initial acceleration from stop is very temperamental. I’ll barely push on the accelerator and it jumps like I’m flooring it. Then it jumps hard into second. Also seems to shift hard between 4th and 5th. It’s embarrassing when passengers ask what’s wrong with the vehicle. I took it into Acura and they said they’d have someone drive it. Got a call back and said they did feel it and there’s a transmission update. They said they would do the update then take it on a drive because it had to “relearn”? Not exactly sure what that meant. Anyway, picked it up and there was less than half a mile put on since we dropped it off (my wife always takes pics of the odometer when dropped off). Anyway, still the same. Very frustrating and uncomfortable. Going to take it back in next week. Has anyone had any luck with theirs?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts