Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know who to ask, so I will start here since you guys are so passionate about your MDXs. My almost brand new MDX with approx 5,000kms (approx 3,000 miles) started leaking transmission fluid. My dealer has decided to replace the transmission I'm assuming since it can't be repaired. Here are questions floating in my head:

1) Are there any long term risks with a new transmission. Do other components need to be removed to replace the transmission? I hate the thought of such a large component being replaced after leaving the plant.

2)Is there any chance Acura could consider using a refurbished or re-manufactured transmission or would one expect brand new from Honda Factory?

3)Do I have any right or argument for asking for a new MDX or refund given such a big replacement.

4)Failing a refund or replacement, do you think I could argue for an extended warranty on the vehicle, like their 8 year 200,000km extended warranties?

5)Who is the best team to contact in seeking for a reasonable outcome. Should I be lobbying dealer or Acura Canada?

I would really appreciate if anyone can share similar experiences or has thoughts on the issue.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I don't know who to ask, so I will start here since you guys are so passionate about your MDXs. My almost brand new MDX with approx 5,000kms (approx 3,000 miles) started leaking transmission fluid. My dealer has decided to replace the transmission I'm assuming since it can't be repaired.
Did the dealer say where it is leaking from? If it's a gasket or drain plug, then those can be replaced. If it were me, I'd be asking more questions of the dealer.

1) Are there any long term risks with a new transmission. Do other components need to be removed to replace the transmission? I hate the thought of such a large component being replaced after leaving the plant.
Yes and no. The factory gets things right MOST of the time. The benefit to factory work is the people are working in near-ideal conditions -- the parts are brand new and clean, and they're put on the vehicle in the order that makes installation of each component as easy as possible. Factory employees also repeat their assigned task a LOT, so the assumption is they're efficient. Every now and then, however, a vehicle makes it through with problems. I wouldn't want to replace a transmission unless it was necessary -- any time a change is made a certain amount of "risk" is introduced. However, if it needs to be done, then you have little choice. A decent mechanic CAN do as good a job as the factory can.

2)Is there any chance Acura could consider using a refurbished or re-manufactured transmission or would one expect brand new from Honda Factory?
If this is being covered under your Acura warranty, then you should get factory new parts.

3)Do I have any right or argument for asking for a new MDX or refund given such a big replacement.
You can trade it in on a new MDX. You can discuss with the dealer to see how big of a hit you'll take, financially. The dealer may work you a deal as a customer-service gesture, but there are no guarantees. Legally, I don't think you'd qualify for a buyback, but I'm in the USA so I'm not familiar with Canadian law.

4)Failing a refund or replacement, do you think I could argue for an extended warranty on the vehicle, like their 8 year 200,000km extended warranties?
Call Acura Canada Client Relations (888-922-8729 Monday - Friday 8AM - 7:30PM Eastern) and ask to open a case. The case manager will contact the dealer and gather information and then try to help you. They may or may not give you the warranty. They don't technically owe you one -- but I've seen them make good faith gestures like that, before. It all depends. But Acura Client Relations is the right path to go if you want to see what can be done.

5)Who is the best team to contact in seeking for a reasonable outcome. Should I be lobbying dealer or Acura Canada?
I always recommend starting with the dealer. Give them the chance to make things right. If you're not happy with what the dealer is doing for you then call Acura Client Relations.

I would really appreciate if anyone can share similar experiences or has thoughts on the issue.
This is the first I've heard of a 3rd gen requiring a new transmission, other than the 2016 ATF warmer issue. Can you share more information on what exactly happened?

Hopefully this gets sorted out for you, quickly, and you can enjoy your new MDX.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more info

Thanks so much for your feedback. I just started noticing oil spots on my driveway recently and so I went back to my home security camera (which goes back only so many days) I can see that it has been dripping slowly for at least those days. When I took it to the dealer today, they showed me the transmission fluid leaking on the hoist but they needed to wash it to see where the leak was coming from. They suggested that it could be the main gasket or might be something else. They called me and said they will be replacing the transmission. The other piece I didn't tell you was that the car has been in the garage last week for my concerns of jerking from 1st gear to 2nd gear that people have mentioned in other forums. I have had a 2007 and 2010 mdx prior and neither jumped like this one does from 1st gear to 2nd gear (first it stutters and then it jumps as it goes to 2nd gear).

I'm sure the transmission leak was there when they looked at the car last week but they did not note the leak at the time(they did a software upgrade and said the problems was drastically reduced). However the jumping did not improve.

So when they said today the transmission jumping is likely related the leak, I thought perhaps the transmission replacement is my best hope.

Did the dealer say where it is leaking from? If it's a gasket or drain plug, then those can be replaced. If it were me, I'd be asking more questions of the dealer.

This is the first I've heard of a 3rd gen requiring a new transmission, other than the 2016 ATF warmer issue. Can you share more information on what exactly happened?

Hopefully this gets sorted out for you, quickly, and you can enjoy your new MDX.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The other piece I didn't tell you was that the car has been in the garage last week for my concerns of jerking from 1st gear to 2nd gear that people have mentioned in other forums.
These transmissions are sensitive to fluid level. If you've been leaking, your level is probably low, and may explain why it hasn't shifted smoothly.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The warranty covers fixing the vehicle - not replacing the entire vehicle for anything that goes wrong with it. Usually minor things fail but every now and then it could be something major like a trans, engine, and the like. Whether the dealer will tear apart a major assembly or just replace the whole thing usually comes down to economics and likelihood of a fix. The quickest, easiest, and most certain fix is to replace the entire component. In this case that's the transmission. Some components will need to be removed to replace the trans and those components will be put back on during the replacement sequence - not a big deal. I wouldn't be too concerned about it since this is what they do all the time. If they mess anything up during the repair they'll need to fix what they messed up.

You'll need to ask the dealer whether the replacement will be a new unit or a remanufactured one but regardless, it'll be warranted for as long as the original one was warranted by default. You can always try to pry an extended warranty on the trans out of them but you may or may not have success.

They're not obliged to just hand you a new vehicle due to this and almost certainly won't. At best you might be able to trade this for a new one at a loss but IMO it's not worth it - just keep this one after they fix it.

You can always 'argue' for a free extended warranty but you don't really have a basis for the argument and they're not obliged to provide one. I'm sure they'll be happy to sell you one though and might even give a better deal than they otherwise would (but they'll likely still make a profit on it).

Your point of contact is your authorized service center/dealer. I don't think there's really much you need to do other than making sure they do a decent job repairing it, being extra vigilant when you get it back to make sure the repair seems sound, and directing your questions to them. Hopefully they'll treat you well and give you a loaner, etc. and not mess anything else up on the vehicle while repairing it. If you still have it make sure you go all around the vehicle taking pics so you have some proof in case they drop a wrench on it or back into a post or something.

I know it's disappointing to have this happen on a new vehicle but it's something that can be fixed and your vehicle will likely be returned to you in the condition it was before this failure and a year or two from now you won't be thinking about this that much.

I've removed/installed engines, transmissions, rear ends, and most other components on some vehicles (not the MDX - nothing mechanical's failed on it), and it's not a huge deal - things break and things get fixed.

I'd be interested in the end result of this experience though so please come back to the thread and let us know how it ends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts