Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! I have an 2018 MDX with 20,500 miles on it. I bought it new. In the past couple of months I have noticed it shifting hard to the point that I look in the rear view to see if someone has bumped me from behind. This hard shifts occurs around 30-40 mph in slow moving traffic/neighborhood driving after the transmission heats up. It also only occurs in normal mode never in comfort or sport. I have taken it to the dealership and was told this is normal, and to just drive it in the other modes. Anyone else have this happening? What other routes can you take to get this issue solved because it is definitely not normal? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Everyone! I have an 2018 MDX with 20,500 miles on it. I bought it new. In the past couple of months I have noticed it shifting hard to the point that I look in the rear view to see if someone has bumped me from behind. This hard shifts occurs around 30-40 mph in slow moving traffic/neighborhood driving after the transmission heats up. It also only occurs in normal mode never in comfort or sport. I have taken it to the dealership and was told this is normal, and to just drive it in the other modes. Anyone else have this happening? What other routes can you take to get this issue solved because it is definitely not normal? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mine 2018 MDX Tech SH-AWD also has the same problem. I also noticed that when I first got it new. I addressed the problem to the service manager when I brought my car in the dealership for a oil change, and I was also told that is normal. I am going tell them about this problem again when my next oil change is due. My back up camera stays when in the Drive mode, and I have to stop the vehicles to fix it by selecting the parking and Drive mode. Do you experience the same problem too?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Search in the thread for jerky ride or judder or transmission issue for any Acura’s build after 2007 and higher. All have this major issue which what you reported but Acura will never accept the faulty design. Many people don’t have any clue that they have issue in their car as they don’t drive in traffic. Keep posting everywhere about your issue. Complain and complain... Enjoy dumb design Acura MDX. I own 2014 mdx.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Search in the thread for jerky ride or judder or transmission issue for any Acura’s build after 2007 and higher. All have this major issue which what you reported but Acura will never accept the faulty design. Many people don’t have any clue that they have issue in their car as they don’t drive in traffic. Keep posting everywhere about your issue. Complain and complain... Enjoy dumb design Acura MDX. I own 2014 mdx.
My 2018 Acura MDX Tech package got the same problems! Brought it to the dealer and was told by the service guy there’s nothing wrong with it. Everything’s normal! Today I dropped off and have them to check again should be ready to by late afternoon tomorrow. I also addressed the backup camera freeze at times. It stays on even when in the D mode. Let’s see what they will say!

·
Registered
1 Posts
  • I have been complaining to my dealer and customer relations about my 2019 transmission too. They gave me the same answers. Not happy at all. For a car if this caliber this is BS!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2018 Acura MDX Tech package got the same problems! Brought it to the dealer and was told by the service guy there’s nothing wrong with it. Everything’s normal! Today I dropped off and have them to check again should be ready to by late afternoon tomorrow. I also addressed the backup camera freeze at times. It stays on even when in the D mode. Let’s see what they will say!

I also have my 2016 Acura MDX. I think we have a common issue here and same answer we've got from them, how disappointing. hope to find a solution for this.

·
Registered
1 Posts

This has happened to me also but a little sooner in miles and in all driving modes. I am at 23000 miles and it has been going on before I brought it in for my oil change which was at 18500 miles. I did mention it to hem prior to this visit and I was told that the car needs to get to know how you drive. BS if you ask me. Now many many miles later does the car still need to know how I drive? There has been times where I will pull out in traffic and it won't go until I put I push the pedal really hard to the floorboard then it squeals tires. Going up hills shifting is rough. I brought it in for an oil change and mention to the service dept and they have said nothing came up. The cruise control is so very rough in shifting. I end up taking it off because it makes it not a pleasant ride. Any advice too would be great. Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shocker! My 2018 is at the dealer as we speak for the same jerking issue. So far they told me nothing is wrong with it and the technician can’t get it to duplicate the issue. I told them to go sit in traffic with it and see how that goes! I’m not thrilled knowing that nobody has received the reason for the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After reading the comment section and found out that a lot of you have the same problem, I can say it's normal. It is not coincident that so many of you encountered the same problem unless we consider everything well as it should.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thats not true, there is no transmission jerk like the OP reported in 2nd Gen MDX. The 9 speed is just a bad design which it seems after so many year of its existence remains a piece of crap engineering.

All the vehicles with this gearbox face lot of these problems and internet is full of such complaints.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same issue here with a 7,000 mile 2019 FWD. However, given how common the complaint is with the 9-spd, as long as it doesn’t affect longevity I’m fine with it. I wonder whether folks with high mileage (>75,000 miles) on the 9-spd have had problems needing replacement or service (assuming they’ve maintained it properly). If nobody is needing transmission replacement then it’s just a jerky annoyance that doesn’t affect actual reliability, right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. 2018 MDX Advance with a little over 17k miles. It just started a few months ago. The hard knock on mine is in slow moving traffic when it hits the 30mph mark. It is intermittent but definitely on a "warm engine." I have tried to capture it on video on my morning commute but I keep missing it, so I am going to use the suction mount on my GoPro to capture it. Googled it and may be a sticking solenoid or dirty valve body in the transmission, hence the intermittence.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update: I brought my 2019 into service today. Not sure if this is well-known info, but the svc manager told me there would be no more software updates on the ZF9 transmission because they have the new 10 speed transmission they will start using in future models. So, in the meantime, he informed me that he would do a full reset of my system, which has supposedly satisfied 9/10 people with this complaint (either that or they just didn't come back again). We shall see. The loaner they gave me is an exact replica of mine but 2020 with only 450 miles. The transmission on the loaner seems to be a little smoother but the road noise is worse (will have to see what tires are on it, because my Continental's are definitely quieter).

·
Registered
650 Posts
Try resetting your transmission memory. It could be that it learned a jerky behavior because of stop and go.

I believe I stumbled on this when I was cleaning my Throttle Body.

Put it in accessory mode (do not start)
Floor the gas and hold until the engine light goes out.

After doing this I noticed the transmission was nice and smooth.

Let me if that works as I am curious if this is really a thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts