Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Debating between these 2. I know the Pilot is much bigger but it’s for my wife to run our 3 kids around in. Not for long trips or hauling much of anything. We want a 2nd row bench so that’s why we picked these models. No real need for in car DVD players. Just looking for opinions on these two for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pilot is a great car, especially if your going with Touring. It will have alot more features then 2018 MDX.

I'm assuming 2018 won't be brand new so new car is always great.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You can't beat the Pilot if you need space for kids+friends, pets, school activities, and sports gear. It can get a little tight for 3 kids in the MDX and very uncomfortable for teenagers if you need the 3rd row as they get older (cargo space really drops with 3rd rows up in the MDX). Seating for four max seemed to be the perfect number for us for the best balance of comfort+utility with local and cross country travel with our MDX.

I think the Pilot uses the same sh-awd hardware; but, suspension and "sh" programming is set more for comfort compared to sporty like the MDX.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You can't beat the Pilot if you need space for kids+friends, pets, school activities, and sports gear. It can get a little tight for 3 kids in the MDX and very uncomfortable for teenagers if you need the 3rd row as they get older (cargo space really drops with 3rd rows up in the MDX). Seating for four max seemed to be the perfect number for us for the best balance of comfort+utility with local and cross country travel with our MDX.

I think the Pilot uses the same sh-awd hardware; but, suspension and "sh" programming is set more for comfort compared to sporty like the MDX.
As far as I know, the Pilot, like the rest of Honda AWD systems is just regular part time AWD that sends power to the rear when it detects wheelspin. No torque vectoring and doesn't engage in turns on dry pavement.

·
Registered
548 Posts
When we were looking, and this was in 2018 we drove both. DW loved the MDX front seats. Much more comfortable, plus the added benefit of not having the cheezy fold up arm rests in the Pilot. Since then we discovered the built in hard drive that stores hundreds of hours of music, drivers memory, and a whole slew more. Yes the MDX is more expensive, but what is comfort worth for the wife?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Honda still calls it i-VTM4; but, it is the same Acura sh-awd system for the latest Pilot, Passport, and Ridgeline models. I think the CR-V and HR-V still has the old Real-Time slip-n-grip system like the last gen Acura RDX. At 1:47 into the video they said the Honda and Acura awd systems are mechanically similar with different tuning. With the Pilot's cheaper cost, more room, and usually more updated tech makes it hard to pick the MDX over the Pilot unless you like the MDX styling better.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Having owned a previous gen Pilot with the i-VTM4 system, and a couple of MDX's, I can say that for snow traction they behave almost identically - but the MDX's added torque vectoring makes it more responsive and more grounded in normal driving when you push it a bit.....

Reactions: BigIke06

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coming from a 2011CRV ex with 63000 miles bought new In December 2010. To be honest, either is a huge upgrade all around.

Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
If you really want to get something different and unique to Acura only in the Honda family is the +17 MDX Sport Hybrid tech. It looks exactly the same and has the same cargo space as the 3.5L gas version with 3 additional hybrid badges the only difference. You get 321hp/289tq, city mpgs of 24-27, 26-31 hwy mpgs, active dampers, Sport+ mode, 2nd row bench seats with tech version, and the very smooth 7DCT. The only downside is zero towing; but, perfectly fine for bike racks or cargo carrier.

The +18 MDXs have an updated info-tainment touch screen with Carplay. Using Siri voice commands are 100X easier compared to the Acura system to find/play any smartphone audio music/podcast/book on tape/etc..., find addresses, read text to you, or respond to texts on the go.

It is so nice filling up my sport hybrid with 13-16 gallons of gas with after going 400-450 miles per tank. I was only going 300-350 miles and using 16-20 gal with my 11 MDX with the same driving habits.

Reactions: MDXbob

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Debating between these 2. I know the Pilot is much bigger
Not really. Exterior is almost identical in size (length, width, wheelbase, etc). Pilot has a bit more head room and cargo space due to more boxy shape. If you're going to use the 3rd row regularly that could be a big advantage though. The MDX drives considerably better than the Pilot...handling, road feel, steering, etc. I've never been impressed with the Pilot in that regard. MDX is also quieter all around and a bit more powerful. The interiori of the Pilot has a lot more crude plastic. I also don't believe the Pilot has the Brake Hold feature which is great if you drive around town often. My wife loves that feature.

One thing I do like better about the Pilot is the "cheezy" (as someone above put it) adjustable armrests. As a tall guy with long arms, I love that I can adjust the arm rest exactly where I want it and the seats also seem to sit a little more upright than the MDX. I don't have that problem at all on my '12 MDX but the '18 sits a bit different.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I have the armrest issue being 6'3" with really long arms. My 19 MDX driver's door armrest isn't as padded as my 11 MDX and it starts to ache on long +2hr road trips. My 19 MDX also has a huge pillar where the seat-belt is located and that prevents me from resting my elbow on the window sill when it starts to hurt from the door arm rest. I had to start wearing one of my elbow pads I use when I MTB ride when I take long trips with the 19 MDX. Didn't have either issue with my 11 MDX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are average height folks. I wish I was 6’-3”!

How is tire wear? Her CRV chews up a set of Michelin’s every 15k miles. Crappy PA roads and zero highway driving are mostly to thank!

·
Registered
548 Posts
One thing I do like better about the Pilot is the "cheezy" (as someone above put it) adjustable armrests. As a tall guy with long arms, I love that I can adjust the arm rest exactly where I want it and the seats also seem to sit a little more upright than the MDX. I don't have that problem at all on my '12 MDX but the '18 sits a bit different.
Guess its my prospective. Had a 2002 Tahoe with flip up arm rests. They were just fine. They were also much sturdirer feeling than the ones on a Pilot. The Pilot ones feel like they would break off if I were to put pressure on them. Not only that but they are so skinny trying to rest your arm on them is uncomfortable. And they just makes the seats narrower. The MDX seats feel wider, and the center consol is a good height for DW and I to use. Add an aftermarket cover and it just works better for us. Would I have been happy with a 7 thousand dollar cheaper Pilot? Sure. Would DW been just as happy? Not in this lifetime!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Go for a test drive on both vehicles if possible. Pilot might be a bit cheaper on MSRP, but you could get a better discount on MDX.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The only reason to ever choose an Acura over a Honda is for shawd.
Well, that and the fact that the Pilot has horrible minivan-style ratcheting armrests. It also lacks an analog speedometer and requires more touchscreen interaction for basic functions. Otherwise, same vehicles with the Pilot being slightly larger in the third row / trunk.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The electronics in the MDX see so outdated. That is a concern of mine.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Carplay for the +18 MDXs help a little bit. Unfortunately, carplay is only displayed on the top navi screen instead of the lower touch screen. A little hard to use carplay with just the navi knob.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts