Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This is my first post here. I have a 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid Technology, and I tried installing Nerf Bar (from Amazon). To my surprise, the middle bracket is not compatible with the under chassis as the 2018 model has a plastic cover that hinders the attachment of the middle bracket. Has anyone installed an after market running boards for this car model?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I strongly suggest OEM accessories, when available. They are designed to work well with your MDX, and Honda/Acura accessories have great fit/finish and phenomenal instructions.

As for your specific bars, it would be hard to say what needs to be done (unless you're able to return them). You didn't mention brand or model. You didn't post pictures. You didn't even post a link to the Amazon page.

They may install in a completely different way from the genuine Acura assist steps... But assuming they're similar, then the Acura instructions may be useful to you:

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/AH/BII03445-31/enu/BII03445-31.pdf

When you say "plastic cover" are you referring to the sill panels? rear under cover? Something else?

Reactions: shortKarateGi

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi p07r0457. Yes, I was referring to the Rear Under cover. Below is the item from Amazon:

"T-Foot Pair For 14-17 Acura MDX Running Boards Pair Side Steps Nerf Bar Chrome Trim"

(URL cannot be posted as I am still new to the forum).

The instructions for this item was simple enough (so I thought) until the Rear Under cover stopped me from moving forward. Also, it's half the price compare to OEM. Please also notice that the product is now saying it is only compatible with the early 3rd gen models.

Please excuse me for not having the pix right now. I'm quite new to this forum.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The instructions for this item was simple enough (so I thought) until the Rear Under cover stopped me from moving forward. Also, it's half the price compare to OEM. Please also notice that the product is now saying it is only compatible with the early 3rd gen models.
AFAIK, the running board attachment points are the same for all 3rd gen models. I spot checked the 2016-2018; all use the same part # for the genuine Acura assist steps.

If you notch the rear under cover, per the Acura instructions, would the bracket fit?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't removed the rear under cover and cut the prescribed cut out area. I will give it another try this weekend and see where it leads me. The seller offered to refund back the money after I ship back the product. I will be posting pictures to share.

Cheers!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally completed the Nerf install on my 2018 MDX Hybrid. It took at least 30 minutes to install including the removal of the rear undercover as well as cutting the cut-off area. I destroyed 2 push clips, but I have extras from my previous project. I am glad p07r0457 gave a valid point about the rear undercover.

Picture to follow.

Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally completed the Nerf install on my 2018 MDX Hybrid. It took at least 30 minutes to install including the removal of the rear undercover as well as cutting the cut-off area. I destroyed 2 push clips, but I have extras from my previous project. I am glad p07r0457 gave a valid point about the rear undercover.

Picture to follow.

Cheers.
What brand steps did you get? I searched what you put down and couldn't locate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.