Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New here and am considering coming back to buy another MDX after 10 years away from Acura. I'm trying to decipher the options packages and have a question about the parking sensors.

It seems like the tech package might have rear sensors only because tech package includes rear cross traffic alert. Is this the case or am I misunderstanding this? I do see accessory options for rear only parking sensors and also front/rear parking sensors but I'm not sure which configurations this applies to.

Any clarity on this issue would be appreciated. Phrased another way, will the tech parking provide for audible beeping when backing up when an object is nearby?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
All trim levels include backup camera.

The Advance package includes front + rear sensors.

The Tech package doesn’t add sensors... although they’re available as a dealer-installed accessory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From Acura's Web site, it states the tech package includes the following feature and specifically says sensors. How does this differ from the rear accessory parking sensors?

Rear Cross Traffic Monitor

Whether reversing out of a parking space or into a busy street, the MDX has your back.

Sensors located near the rear corners of the car can detect approaching vehicles from either side in parking lots, driveways or streets.
The monitor is particularly useful when other parked vehicles hinder your side-to-side vision.
With the Multi-View Rear Camera50 in Normal or Wide mode, you’re alerted to approaching vehicles by an audible chime and amber arrows in the rear camera monitor.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The rear cross traffic alert is NOT rear parking sensors. The sensors are different. The rear cross traffic alert sensors are in the lower corners of the bumper. You can’t see them without getting under the car,almost

·
Registered
869 Posts
The sensors used by the cross-traffic monitor system are effective at longer range than the parking sensors, and they are tuned to specifically detect moving objects.

FWIW I find parking sensors incredibly annoying. But on the plus side, they have an "off" switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for clarifying. I think I get it now. I'm wondering if the parking sensors are even necessary now. Will the "cross traffic sensors" pick up things like a pedestrian walking, kid running, or dog behind car? Or only moving vehicles?

On the accessory options, it looks like you can get rear parking sensors for $528 and front/rear for $700. I'm assuming those prices are without installation? If so, what is typical installed cost? And can sensors be installed as a "port installed option" to avoid any extra cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
As elvisfan and Wanderlust have mentioned, the rear parking sensors and cross traffic alert sensors are different.

The rear parking sensors are effective only up to 59 inches.

The rear cross traffic monitor uses two mid-range radars with an effective range of ~82 feet.

Will the "cross traffic sensors" pick up things like a pedestrian walking, kid running, or dog behind car? Or only moving vehicles?
Yes, they can pick that up, if the pedestrian/kid are walking perpendicular to the rear of your vehicle. My vehicle has alerted for pedestrians on the sidewalk as I back down my driveway. I'm not sure about the dog... If they're small, it may not trigger? These systems add a layer of safety, but they are not a substitute for looking where you're going and being alert.

The Rear Cross Traffic Monitor won't alert for objects that are stationary or moving non-perpendicular to your vehicle. You'd want parking sensors if you need an audible alert for those conditions. However, keep in mind you do still get the backup camera -- so if you don't want to spend the money on sensors, you may find the camera is "good enough".

On the accessory options, it looks like you can get rear parking sensors for $528 and front/rear for $700. I'm assuming those prices are without installation? If so, what is typical installed cost? And can sensors be installed as a "port installed option" to avoid any extra cost?
Acura doesn't do "port installed" options, afaik. If it's not done at the factory, then it's done by the dealer.

If you want factory-installed sensors, then splurge on the Advance. It's worth it, imo.

If you are set on a Tech, then make your purchase offer to the dealer with a stipulation that they install the sensors. I doubt a dealer would lose a sale over that.

Btw, here's the rear of a brand new 2018 MDX Tech... Notice no visible parking sensors, despite having the Rear Cross Traffic Monitor:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Since I have an Advance I don’t know if they would substitute for rear parking sensors. I would think it would be several hundred dollars to install. Since the front and rear ends would have to come off. What is port installed? The car is built in Ohio.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What is port installed?
Some manufacturers (Toyota, for example) build their vehicles in factories, but then ship them to "ports". In some cases those are literal ports with ships, but in other cases it's just a facility with a massive parking lot. These ports are middle men, receiving the vehicles and storing them, temporarily, before they're hauled off to the dealers. Some times there are accessories/parts that are not installed at the factory, but are instead installed at the port. Wheel/tire packages are common port-installed options.

Southeast Toyota is INFAMOUS for port installed CRAP. If you're bored/interested then read up on it... The gist is that some guy negotiated an exclusive distributorship agreement with Toyota a LONG time ago... It had some pretty strict clauses in it that basically gave him perpetual exclusive rights for the region, and Toyota doesn't have much power to wiggle out of it. Anyway, the guy is now uber-rich and since ALL Toyota vehicles sold in the region MUST go through him, he forces on a bunch of bull**** "port-installed" accessories -- won't sell to the dealers without them. 99% of their crap is pure profit and provides ZERO value. Despicable.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Here are the installation instructions for the rear parking sensors. It isn't hard, but it does require removing interior trim and the bumper cover... These are things I wouldn't want to do on a new vehicle, if it can be avoided -- don't want rattles to develop.

I imagine a dealer would charge 2-3 hours labor. (WAG)

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/AH/BII03445-25/enu/BII03445-25.pdf

Since you haven't bought your MDX yet, if you really want the sensors, use it as a bargaining chip... Make your offer contingent on the sensors being installed. Then you don't care how much the labor would be, normally.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had dealer install front and rear parking sensors on the tech package . Don’t know why parking sensors are not part of the tech package ..

Sensors work fine , it took couple of hours to get it done ..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good luck getting it thrown in on a deal. Honda wanted $1000 for rear sensors on a new Pilot. My recollection is that they don't even offer after market front sensors (on Pilots) which is actually more useful since you already have a backup camera. As an aside, I had a 2018 TLX last week while the car was in the shop and the 360 degree view was way cool and useful.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I had dealer install front and rear parking sensors on the tech package . Don’t know why parking sensors are not part of the tech package ..

Sensors work fine , it took couple of hours to get it done ..
I love questions like this. Because Acura can throw these and a few other must haves in and charge $6,000 for the advance. I have an Advance.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I needed bench seat and advance needs tech with entertainment package for bench .

Didn’t need entertainment package for my needs .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does the Cross Traffic Alert when detecting cars or people , actually apply the brakes? My 2016 Infinity QX60 supposedly had that feature. Yet when i hurriedly backed out of my driveway here in Suburbia, a neighbor had a visitor parked at an angle , not directly behind me. When i hastily backed out and turned the wheel , i caught the front bumper of the parked car , actually a Toyota Tundra!!!!! SOB . Didnt see it in the back up camera, the Cross Traffic Alert didnt pick it up because it was on an angle, parked at tge curb. Technology goes only so far. Good old fashion looking and not rushing works too.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Does the Cross Traffic Alert when detecting cars or people , actually apply the brakes? My 2016 Infinity QX60 supposedly had that feature.
With MDX, I think it only provide audible chime and amber arrows in the rear view camera, and doesn't apply brake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did they change the parking sensor thing for 2019? I only ask because I have the 2019 tech and I swear it beeps when I reverse too close to an object, and tells me in the MID if I pull forward too close to something. Maybe I’m imagining it in my memory...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts